Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

watsonc123

Keen - surely you could find one race in the build up? All my PRs have had a race 2-6 weeks out.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Watson - I have two, actually! But it's unlikely that either will be a decent gauge for fitness. I have a 5k at the end of the month (a bit hilly, but likely quite hot and humid), then a HM in October (quite hilly, likely to be quite hot and humid as well, but I'm running this one for place not time). I do think I'm somehow better acclimatized to the heat now than I was last year (not sure how, just a different "feeling"), so I could fare better in either than I think.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I think you should do a race if they're available. Doesn't matter if the conditions suck, you just need to remember what it's like to see the pink unicorn.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Flavio thats a good challenge for you on that segment. It should be close. The fact that Jmac did 7 of those in a row should give you some motivation 

Jmac stella intervals. Thats shows you are well under 17 min 5k form right now. Ive not heard the paincave called the pink unicorn but each to their own 

Keen I would be satisfied with a strava 5k time trial. It should be pretty accurate if not too many corners or big buildings.

Im not a keen racer either but Im going to try and take down my current strava PBs. I dont mind waking up and deciding that Im going to go for it rather than have it planned weeks in advance.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Pink Unicorns? That's the name of DD2's soccer team!

Flavio - SOOO close! I don't doubt at all that it's within your reach.

Piwi - No big buildings around here! Seriously, there's no building taller than two stories for at least 20 miles in any direction.

Bit of a rough workout this morning. I decided to find my way onto the track (first time in 9-10 months, probably) so I could drop a water bottle and I also wouldn't be more than a mile from the house. I completely forgot about my decision to go with shorter intervals and started off with my watch programmed for 5 minute intervals. I did the first, but my legs felt really heavy and I decided to switch to 3 minute intervals after that.

The middle-school XC team was running laps in my neighborhood when I got back (it's very quiet, with little traffic). I spent half an hour talking to their coach, who was wearing a "Stop Pre" shirt and lives on my regular route and sees me running every day (he's training for the Route 66 HM in November). Our HS boys might could win state again this year, but the girls lost their best runner.

A strava 5k time trial seems to be in order. I've got my two workouts done this week, so I'm thinking sometime next week. JMac's right, I do need to remember how pushing it in a race feels. I would like to get a proper race in, though. There are a couple 5ks in the last week or so of September I have my eyes on for that - I figure they're close enough to my goal race to have an accurate view of my fitness, but not so close as to interfere with the big race.

Upcoming Races:

paul2432

Hi everyone.  I'd like to join this thread.  My race is the Santa to the Sea Half Marathon in Oxnard, CA on 12/8/19.  Goal is a PR (sub 1:21:30).

About me:

I'm a 51 year old, married, father of two girls (10 and 13) living in Southern California.  I'm a long time runner having done my first race in 1994.  In 2012 I had an epiphany and became a convert to higher mileage which resulted in significant improvements over the next several years dropping my marathon PR from 3:28 at age 31 to 2:52 at age 49 (Tucson, downhill course).  I'm also significantly lighter now.

Recently, I've been doing mostly ultras on trails, and just ran the Angeles Crest 100 miler last weekend.  I still love road running as well so will come back to that for a few months for Santa to the Sea.  If training goes well I may run a spring marathon as well (maybe LA).

For training I'm going to try something different.  I'll incorporate the concepts in Pete Magill's book Speed Runner and Jay Dicharry's book Running Rewired.  The AC 100 exposed some flaws in my running form and I will work on corrections during this training block.  Mileage will probably be around 50-60 MPW with lots of drills and other exercises, instead of 70-80 MPW and nothing else.  Obviously this is a risk, but for me I think it's a worthwhile experiment.  If anyone has experience with either of these books I'd love to hear about it.

Keen nice job down at the track. Yeah 5 min intervals would be a tough introduction. Our track was relaid a couple of years ago. I haven't used it since but they don't allow running on lane 1 to save the surface.

Paul welcome. I've seen you on the boards for years.i was at RW forum since 2011. You are very knowledgeable.

I'm also 51 and would be keen to know how your body is holding up and if you do anything different at this age to overcome the effects of aging.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Paul - Welcome! As the resident ultra-runner here: Sub-30 at AC? Nice!! Please forgive the Ultrasignup sleuthing.
                  I'm not familiar with either book so no input there. You must have a big aerobic base to do well at a race like AC, so I don't see any issues with a HM cycle with lower mileage but adding intensity.

Piwi - Thanks. The next time I do intervals I'll probably stick with 3 minutes for all of them if the weather is at all comparable to what it was today (83/28.3 temp, Kiwi point 71/21.6). This track is pretty new, though they have done a nice job of removing some patches that weren't done well at all last year and doing it properly. I may or may not have had to find a "creative" way of accessing it, but there wasn't anything said when coaches started to arrive and unlocked all the gates.

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - You are a best, though I suppose you could've done those 1200s either faster or with shorter recoveries.

Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Keen - if you're gonna run a time trial I'd recommend a track. No traffic and you can be
                    certain of the distance. Go at 5am when the temps are more pleasant.

Piwi - I completely disagree. Jmac did his 7 1200s in a slow pedestrian 3:22 per km.
                    I did my one 1200 in super fast 3:19/km 

I hope you can jump into the local park run and show those youngsters who's boss. Make sure to wear a t-shirt with a picture of yourself surfing for maximum effect 

Paul - welcome aboard. I believe I've seen you on these boards for a while now, so it's
                    nice to have someone knowledgeable join the group.
                    For what is worth, my running coach swears by the mantra that you can't correct running
                    form with drills and that instead one should focus on strength training and let the body
                    correct itself. I've seen that happen to myself and many of my running group mates,
                    but as we know we're all different so YMMV.

me - I've "failed" to become the segment king after running 4:06 this morning, missing the mark by 4 seconds. I have no doubt in my mind that I can go back and run it 4s faster especially on fresher legs (and without running hills the day before).

It was a very nice fitness test and I'm honestly very happy with the result. The segment has 1230m of which the first 300 are concrete sidewalk, then roughly 700m of dirty with lots of potholes and uneven ground then a roughly 230m ascent on concrete sidewalk again.

After I finished and I was curved trying to regain my breath I've noticed that the campus security guard was looking intently at me, LOL maybe he thought I grabbed a phone and dashed (while in running gear to be more efficient at my "job").

I've ran on pace for a 1500m PR, so it must mean I could've run quite a bit faster on the track.

In fact I've ran 2:32 for 800 this Tuesday on the track.

The good thing about chasing this segment is that it scratched my itch to race so hopefully I'll remain disciplined for the remaining 4 weeks of training.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

paul2432

Thanks all for the welcome.

Commander Keen - Yes, that's me, 29:58 at AC.  12 hour first 50 miles, 18 hours second 50 miles.  Blown quads left me walking nearly all of the last 30 miles.  I tend to be an elephant on the down hills, looking to become more of a gazelle.  The heat got to me a bit as well.

Flavia - I haven't read the books yet, so they may focus more on strength than drills.  Strength will certainly be a substantial component.

watsonc123

Paul - welcome.  I'm pretty sure you were on the sub 3 in 2017 thread which I was on.  The difference being I think you went sub 3 and I failed by a lot  Lots of people can do quite well in the half on 50-60 miles per week, especially with a moderate amount of quality.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Paul - welcome.  I've seen you over on the 2019 in 2019 game popping up from time to time with some really impressive ultras.  With that aerobic base, you should have no problem putting up a good HM time with a bit of tempo and speedwork added in.

Keen- I've always reckoned that you need to run a race to run a race.  Recovery from a 5k is pretty negligible so I doubt those would interfere with your goal races.

Flavio - you are killing it with some of those track times at the moment.  2:32 for 800 is getting up there.  I hate running on uneven ground with potholes, it definitely slows you down because you have to watch every step to avoid rolling an ankle.

Me - back home now and unfortunately with a light cold.  Seems pretty minor though, and at least it'll be gone by the time races roll around in a couple weeks.  Anyway this afternoon is filming for the Les Mills promotional thing.  It should be fun and hopefully I don't look like an idiot haha.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark the Les Mills promotional thing ? Do tell. 

I ran past Sam Tanner twice on my run yesterday. He looked like he was jogging 5.30km pace but checked his Strava and was close to 4 min/km. Amazing how efficient elites are.

Flavia sorry I've been spelling it wrong 

3.19 over 1200 is no joke and on a rutty course. Sounds like our Parkrun course. I need a few more weeks to get back to 18.30ish shape so will keep training.

Keen 800s are good and would be near that 3 min mark.

Paul you may have missed my question above but how are you finding the 51 yr old body holding up and do you do anything special for strength, flexibility and injury prevention?

Marky_Mark_17

Mark the Les Mills promotional thing ? Do tell. 

I ran past Sam Tanner twice on my run yesterday. He looked like he was jogging 5.30km pace but checked his Strava and was close to 4 min/km. Amazing how efficient elites are.

I got picked as one of 4 members they are doing member stories on for a promotional campaign.  It gets me 3 months free membership which is the reason I entered haha.  I probably have a pretty unique story in terms of that serious knee injury and then discovered by accident I was not a bad runner.  Les Mills has kind of been a constant for me throughout as I have trained there since 2012, did all my rehab there, and still do strength training there as well as stretching and rolling etc. after most of my weekday runs.  It's probably a bit of a unique one as I bet there will be a lot of really good stories about member weight loss / body transformations but not so many like mine!

So anyway they are doing some filming this afternoon / tonight of me running and doing gym stuff.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

On another note, July ended up being my biggest mileage month ever (400.1km).  I've felt a bit of fatigue at times with the higher mileage but this week has been pretty good (the change of scenery helped) and I realised midway through this morning's run that we're well and truly on the downward slope towards races now (with 3 in 4 weeks).  It's probably about where I should be at this point in the cycle.

There's then 3 races coming up in 4 weeks which will probably go something like:

Aug 25: Auckland Road Race Champs (10km) - I want to gun for the sub-34 at this but mostly I'm using it as a tune-up race ahead of NZ HM Champs.  I'll run it hard but I suspect there'll be a bit of race rust there.

Sept 1: NZ Half Marathon Champs (Dunedin) - I'll be aiming for an AG (35-49) medal (last year I got silver), but like any NZ race there's a lot of luck as to who shows up (or not).  I don't think it's a PB course but I said that last year and I'm still going to go max effort (it is national champs!).  It'll be a good chance to see how the VF's go in a race.

Sept 15: NZ Road Race Champs (10km) - should make the Auckland team, and assuming the body is OK, this will definitely be an all-out effort.  The course is identical to the Akl champs course.  Normally Wellington dominate the Masters Mens grade but we have a couple of quick guys (32-33 mins) in good form and we might be a chance of an upset this year if I can run sub-34 and we can find another runner around the same pace or faster.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"