Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio I saw your workout on Strava. So you run 1000m at mile pace and then sprint 300m ? Is there a rest between the 2 ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Tried out the new Vaporfly's this morning - not the ideal workout for it (5 x 1k with 2 min recoveries), but it's basically my longest (non-track) workout before NZ Half Marathon Champs in 2.5 weeks unless I decide to wear them for Auckland Road Champs (which I probably won't).

Definitely a very different feeling shoe, they're a little unstable at jog/recovery pace but that transitions to incredibly smooth once you start hitting an effort pace.  I really noticed the energy return despite planning the workout badly (1st k with a tailwind and last 4 with a strong headwind).  Will definitely use them for NZ Half Marathon Champs but probably just stick with something Saucony for Auckland Road Champs 10km.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - Yeah, there was a 2 and a half minute rest. 1000 + 2:30 rest + 300 + 2:30 rest.

Mark - If I'm reading this correctly then it would make for a bad shoe if you have to do many turns?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - maybe I missed it, but what is your 5K PR? Also, you know my love of Jack Daniels and who I would pick if I were you.

Mark - they're definitely super awkward at anything less than MP. You'll love them going up hill, in my mind, that's where they really shine.

Me - I am so, so sad. A few days ago, the forecast for my race was looking pretty good for this time of year. Temps around 70, dew point in the upper 50s, for a TDP around 130. My last three races (including the cancelled one) have been TDPs of 150, 160 (cancelled), 145, so 130 would be a HUGE improvement. I was really thinking that 16:59 was going to be >70% chance. Unfortunately, the forecast has continually gotten worse. Dew points have now climbed up to 70 for race morning, which puts me right back at 145 TDP. I have realized that 65 dew point is where things start going south for me, with 70 being very hard and 75 basically being impossible to run in.

It really sucks to work so hard over the summer to have all 4 races you had scheduled be bad weather.

I think I still have to shoot for a 16:59 and not run by "feel" and just hope for the best, but I now think 16:59 is a stretch goal that will require me to have my A game.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

JMac -aaargh! You might expect to get 1 or 2 bad days out of 4... but all 4?!  Coming off the Boston weather this year I hope this means you end up with some good luck for whatever's coming up next.  Just go hard regardless - you've got nothing to lose.

It's funny you mention going uphill - I ran mostly a flat course today but I did notice on a couple of small rollers that going uphill felt super-cruisy.

Flavio - yeah the VF's are known for a being a little ropey on corners.  Apparently this was improved in the Next% vs. the original 4% but it's kind of unavoidable in something with a big stack height.  That's part of the reason why I'm avoiding them for my 10km race next weekend, it is a 5-lapper with a u-turn for the first 4 laps, plus I think it's accepted they generally shine over distances where your legs would otherwise start to get fatigued like HMs or FMs - 5km and even 10km is probably a little short to get the full benefit.

The Dunedin HM course does have a lot of corners too but I still think the VFs will be the right choice, I'll just have to play the corners a little safe.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Jmac what is a dew point 

I'm sad you are sad for your race. On a positive note I'm sure you can crush 17 mins.

Mark nice intervals. I like the way you held pace back into the wind. Mikkey rates those shoes better at tempo but you would have gotten a good feel for them.

With Nike putting themselves in a corner with ridiculous prices its forcing me to try other brands. New Balance is impressing me. The Zante are really nice. There are some Reeboks getting good reviews too.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

With Nike putting themselves in a corner with ridiculous prices its forcing me to try other brands. New Balance is impressing me. The Zante are really nice. There are some Reeboks getting good reviews too.

Have you tried Nike Zoomfly? Very impressed with them as a good overall training shoe and they’re pretty cheap....I’ve bought 2 pairs on eBay and both were under £50. Nike Revolution are also reasonably priced. I’m trying to wean myself off the Hokas!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Cheers Mikkey I will check them out.

Rubber track and vaporflys is cheating Smile

Its probably the best combination for short distance PRs though.

Piwi: was the calf problem not due to the lower drop of the Zante's?

Mikkey: new shoes and ebay - I am always suspicious since I once fell for a forged pair of asics. How do you know its the real deal you are getting?

Flavio, Keen, DP, Jmac: great work! Keen, dont let that Assistant Coach get to you.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: new shoes and ebay - I am always suspicious since I once fell for a forged pair of asics. How do you know its the real deal you are getting?

I’ve never been 100% certain but I always buy from long term sellers with good feedback....eg, I’ve bought from sportsshoes.com via eBay.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - it's August, shouldn't you be hibernating?

Flavio/Mark - I know Mikkey has run 5ks in them, but I never could, especially any with turns. They're just too goofy and unstable. They really shine at the half and full. 10K is just an awkward distance in general for all of running. Not really the speed of a 5K, not really the endurance of a half. It's basically the pain of a 5K, times two. I hate it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - it's August, shouldn't you be hibernating?

I’ve been lurking in the shadows and eagerly waiting to hear about Piwi’s comeback race!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Bummer on the forecast. I'm currently looking at a TDP of ~139 for my TT tomorrow (71* temp / 68* Kiwi point).
                              I'm not saying don't go all BOTT this weekend, but have you thought about rolling into marathon training while keeping your eyes on the weekend forecast and 5k race lineup so you can jump into a decent race when you know conditions are favorable? Sub an easy run in place of a workout, then add some extra miles after the race to get your mileage? I know it's not ideal, but whatever it takes to get a PR that starts with "17" - we're all confident that it's within your grasp.
                              And don't speak badly of 10ks! I may have only run one of those, but I loved it!

MJ - Rubber track and Cheaterflys, you say?? Perhaps I'll change up my planned TT shoe choice for tomorrow!

Feeling a bit anxious about doing a 5,000m TT tomorrow. It's been nearly a year since my last 5k (that I also wasn't sure how hard to go out in), so I'm WAY too out of touch with how that should feel.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - the oxygen suck in 5ks is real, get ready for it. Regarding myself, this is it for me. I'm out of the country for 10 days starting next Wednesday, so training is taking a break before starting my marathon training. This is why it's a peak/goal 5k goal for me. My next crack at one won't occur until next spring at the earliest.