Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Mikkey - it's August, shouldn't you be hibernating?

Flavio/Mark - I know Mikkey has run 5ks in them, but I never could, especially any with turns. They're just too goofy and unstable. They really shine at the half and full. 10K is just an awkward distance in general for all of running. Not really the speed of a 5K, not really the endurance of a half. It's basically the pain of a 5K, times two. I hate it.

/delurk.

Based on personal experience, I'd put the VF4% and the Next% in different buckets.  There are some similarities, but the Next is definitely more stable, with the bouncy foam focused more in the forefoot and notably less heel drop.

One analogy for Adidas fans - the Next% is to the VF4% as the Takumi Sen is to the Adios.    The Adios and VF4% had more of the bouncy stuff in the heel; in contract the bouncy stuff is more in the forefoot for the Next% and the Takumi Sen, and those shoes are much more comfortable to run on your toes in.

The Next% also doesn't have that rolling feeling the way the VF4% did - it's much more of a traditional feeling shoe, once you get past the high stack height.

I've raced a 5K and a road mile in the Next% - I think the shoe worked well for those distances.  At the same time, for the half or full marathon, I actually think I'm going to stick with my old VF4%s.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Japan again, right? Why not see if you can find a race there?! Picking up any more Takumi Sens?

The whole oxygen suck thing kinda scares me. It's well outside my comfort zone.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Keen yeah the only way to ready yourself for 5ks is with vo2 workouts so you can kinda get used to that burn feeling ad normalize it. Good luck.

Mick my Zantes are great I wore them on a long run Sunday. I think my calf was a little sore from some of my speed work.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Japan again, right? Why not see if you can find a race there?! Picking up any more Takumi Sens?

No, I'll be on safari in Africa, so I actually cannot run unless I feel like getting eaten by a lion. So it'll be a full 10 days off.

Back to Japan in December, and yes to getting more Takumi Sens (and probably picking up a pair for darkwave)

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

JMac - have a great vacation.

I have the Zoom Fly V2.  I will be racing the 10k in them.  They have a rolling feel, interesting that the Next don't have that so much.

I have heard good things about Reebok Floatride Runfast and Floatride Runfast Pro.  And New Balance 1400.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - that Africa trip sounds like a great example of 'holidays I would do with my wife but probably not a 2-year old' per our earlier discussion haha.

Keen - yeah the 5k burn is real but it's really only that last 1-2km.  I think it's actually good for the body to remind itself of that, and you'll feel great once you've got your breath back after the race.

Darkwave - interesting on the Next%'s, I still think I'd personally prefer a more traditional flat for shorter distances up to 10km (I've got a pair of Saucony Type A8's I'm lining up for my 10km races), but it's interesting to hear the Next%'s actually handled it pretty well.

Watson - I got a pair of free Reebok shoes while doing the Les Mills filming thing.  They actually felt quite nice to run in but I didn't even look at what model they were.

Piwi - thanks, I didn't plan the workout well (too excited about new shoes) and the headwind was pretty strong so it was a good outcome.  I would've been closer to 3:15/km average I think if I'd planned it better!  A bit of prep dealing with a headwind is good, although my next 3 races are all on courses which are either loops or out-and-back courses so any wind will even itself out on those.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I have heard good things about Reebok Floatride Runfast and Floatride Runfast Pro.  And New Balance 1400.

I have the Reebok Floatride Runfast Pro.  It's a really cool neat shoe - much lighter than even the VF (feels like tissue paper in your hand) but ridiculously bouncy.  I find it hard to run really fast in, just because it is so flexible (feels like the Nike Free with added bounce).

Most people disagree with me, and think it's a great short distance shoe.  For myself, I actually wore it for my long run with 5 miles at marathon pace this past weekend, and really liked it for that.

(so there you go - I race miles in the Vaporfly and use the RFP for marathon pace work, so my opinion on shoes should not be trusted)

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

And also - you guys only feel oxygen suck in a 5K?   I get it at all distances short of the marathon; including when I kick at the end of 10 milers and half-marathons.  I just feel it for the longest in the 5K.

paul2432

A little late, weighing in the high school track issue.  I take a contrary view here.  First, I think the argument that because tax dollars paid for it, the public is entitled to use it, doesn't stand up to scrutiny.  Tax dollars pay for many things that are not open to the public.  Should you be able to go into the chem lab at the school and conduct your own experiments, or use a conference room in city hall for your own meetings, or use a city owned car to drive around, etc.

Second, the track needs to be open to everybody (for appropriate track use) or to nobody.  I don't like the idea of individuals making one-off arrangements with school officials.

Regarding 5Ks, I just posted somewhere else that my 5K is slower (according to the equivalency charts) than my 10K and HM, most likely due to not fully embracing the pain of a 5K.

Marky_Mark_17

And also - you guys only feel oxygen suck in a 5K?   I get it at all distances short of the marathon; including when I kick at the end of 10 milers and half-marathons.  I just feel it for the longest in the 5K.

For me it feels most pronounced in a 5k.  Like, that total 'fish flapping around out of water' feeling.

Don't get me wrong, I get it at the end of a 10km or half marathon as well, just not to the same extent.  I'll feel it if I'm really pushing that last km but given the legs are more tired than they get in a 5km, I think that inherently limits the oxygen suck factor.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark described exactly how I feel across races. It is awful, to the point where in the last 0.5 miles of a 5K I would not want to be running next to me as I sound like I'm having an asthma attack. I have never felt that in a half marathon. Maybe a 10K, but I haven't run a real one of those in non-hot conditions in years.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I definitely feel the oxygen suck at longer race distances - at least to the 25k distance. I feel it for longer (distance and time wise) at longer races, but it doesn't burn quite as hot. I distinctly remember the feeling from the first HM I truly raced - I started to really feel things by about mile 8, and by mile 10 was seriously doubting all the life choices that had lead up to that moment.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Watson do those Zoom flys have a carbon plate too ?

It looks like it on Running Warehouse.

Jmac no lion will eat you. Too skinny 

For me 5k pace is hardcore lung workout more so than longer distances. After all I'm running near 3.30/km rather than 4 min/km as in half pace...or I used too 

The burn at the end of a half or marathon is more general fatigue all over.

watsonc123

Piwi - they have a cheaper plate.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Watson I wont be able to buy them then as I still want to tease the guys with carbon plates