Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

piwi - I totally forgot about that! But hey, that $200 forced you to go meet mikkey so I guess that was worth it?

Totally I would have paid $400 to meet Mikkey  Look at him, so youthfull !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Now I'm craving fish and chips.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

Yeah, JMac is plain mentally weak.  He could pull off 13:00 if he put his mind to it

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Running Problem

Problem Child

No, I’m just annoyed at 0-4 timing with weather. I already decided I”m going out at 16:59 pace no matter what the damn conditions were, I stated that earlier. It’s a 5K, the blow ups are minimal if you miss. If you read the rest of my post, you’ll see my optimism for the rest of the year.

I saw the plans for the rest of the year it just seems like this weekend was already doom and gloom. I’ll go back to lurking now.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

But I'm with you on shoes (and am fortunate to be in the financial position where I can be that way).  If I'm going to compete in a sport, I'm going to set myself up for success, and part of that is giving thought to my equipment.

That’s what I said to myself when I bought my £575 Air Relax recovery boots earlier this year (if they’re good enough for you then they’re good enough for me!) I still get into them even if I haven’t had a run as I find them so relaxing!

JMac - You could always jump into a 5k during your CIM training, if you get into 1:15 half shape then you should be able to go Sub 17 without too much trouble.

Piwi - Ah that photo reminds me of when I used to be fit!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hey everyone, able to bring it home in 16:51 this morning. I'm very happy! I was a off by 2 seconds on my either or prediction. I'll take that . It was just as humid as expected (73 degree kiwi point) but the clouds held out which ended up being a life savior.

Full race report coming soon, this one deserves one as I learned a lot about racing 5ks in this one on top of the usual requirement given a PR.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JamesD

JamesD

Congratulations, JMac!  Maybe we'll turn you into a hot weather runner after all.

This was a down week for me, as family issues took priority.  Went at recovery or easy effort for all but Friday’s tempo, and didn’t have time to swim, but I did get over 30 miles, so it wasn’t too bad.  Should do better next week before tapering for my Sept. 2 10K.

Sun - off

Mon - 6.2 miles slow & easy

Tues - 6.2 slow & easy

Weds - 6.2 slow & easy

Thurs - off

Fri - 6.7, including 3 @ 6:44

Sat - 6.2 easy

Total - 31.5 miles

12-week average - 32 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Jmac great job and finished with a 3.15 km stunning.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Nice job JMac. Had a similar week of life messing with running, James. Nice getting in decent lengths runs that are more than token runs.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - awesome job, stoked that you got it despite the conditions.  Like Mikkey suggested, running a 5km during half or marathon prep might not be a bad idea either, the recovery is pretty quick so it's basically the same as a hard tempo session.

James - nice job getting it done despite the time pressure.

Me - last week of work done before race season, and man am I excited to race.  This week was a little lighter, after a streak of 9 weeks over 80km/50 miles (never done more than 4 before!) it was nice to freshen up the legs and I hit some good paces in Saturday's track session even on a wet surface.  I tested out the Saucony Type A8's for Saturday's track session, thinking they might be a good 10km shoe.  My calves were feeling a bit beat up today so I won't wear them for Auckland Road Champs next Sunday given the short turnaround to NZ Half Marathon Champs the week after and will stick with the trusty Fastwitches.

M: weights

T: 11km easy

W: 14.3km incl. 5 x 1k @ 10k effort

T: 14.2km easy

F: weights

S: 14.5km track session incl. 6x800 (300 jog) and 2x1km @ 10km effort

S: 16.1km incl. sprints

Total: 70.1km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - congratz again on the time trial, so close to PR. I have no doubt you can conquer that PR during a race, or at least if you bet $50 with some friend to see who’s faster on the 5K

Jmac - Awesome job battling the warm weather. That’s why we told you to ignore the weather reports and just go get it during the race.

I thought taper madness had taken over you for a moment.

You even ran a 3:15 as the last km meaning you can definitely go faster.

I’m sure you know during marathon training if you feel so inclined you can swap a long run to a Thu then run a 5k on Sat/Sun in place of the long run.

me - taper madness in full effect here. I was sluggish during weight training yesterday and thought for sure I was going down with a flu, but it seems I survived so far. Sore throat is still there but somehow I'm floating above water.

Earlier today I could swear there was something moving in my ear canal (like a hair fell in there somehow), I even asked my wife to have a look (with the phone lantern and all), but apparently it was nothing. I'm telling you: MADNESS!!!!!

I need to hold back and concentrate on the PR attempt. If I manage a PR attempt 4kg heavier then for sure I can take a minute off of it by just shedding the weight. I hope to report a 17:?? tomorrow.

My body is tired, more tired than normal, super tight in the calves and piriformis.

I've done a lot of training geared towards anaerobic improvement, let's see if I got some aerobic gains from that.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mark the hays in the barn now you can race confidently. You are still a relatively low mileage runner. Pretty amazing what you achieve off that.

Flavio good luck sub 18 would be awesome.

I just finished my week at 79kms. That's 4 weeks back around 70 kms. Starting to feel fitter.

paul2432

Nice work Jmac.  Hitting a goal is a great confidence booster

watsonc123

Piwi and Mark - nice weeks.

JMac - awesome race.  I don't think the GPS being slightly more than 5km means much as GPS can be inaccurate.  In cooler conditions though, maybe 16:30?

My week was good.  Decided to just doing an easy run today rather than a MLR, as I'm feeling a bit tired, I have an 'A' race on Saturday (10km) plus I'm travelling tomorrow.  This week will be very light, just 8km, 8km with a short tempo, 0, 8km easy, 0, then race.  I'm travelling (2 flights each way) on Monday and Wednesday for work, so it has to be easy week.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description Link
                              Mon 4.4 8:34 Evening Run strava
                              Tue 5.8 8:36 Evening Run strava
                              Wed 8.1 7:42 Evening Run - Incl. Intervals 6 * (750m & 250m Easy) strava
                              Thu 5.0 8:30 Evening Run strava
                              Fri 5.5 8:28 Afternoon Run - Incl. 6 * 200m Hill Repeats strava
                              Sat 5.0 8:03 Afternoon Run strava
                              Sun 6.5 8:15 Morning Run strava
                                40.3 8:16  

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hope Runs Here 5K

Pre-Race

The race is in the same town as my mom, so I decided to drive to her in the morning. I almost got hit by another (young) driver who didn’t see me in his blind spot. Luckily there was little traffic so I was able to swerve into another lane. That would have been a fun way to start the morning!

I was watching the weather all morning. It was definitely soupy, with humidity 100% with temps and dew points both at 73. However, there were some clouds that kept coming and going. When driving in, it seemed like a fog layer as it burned off quickly and I started to panic. However, another layer of clouds rolled in, and I just prayed they would hold til the start time.

I arrived a bit later than I wanted, as I got caught up with the family. So I had to take an abbreviated warm up. I’m still not sure how to warm up for 5Ks when it’s hot. On one hand, you really need a long warm up to have your legs ready to fire at sub 17 pace out of the gate, but on the other, you don’t want to be overheating before the race starts. I kept it to 1.5 miles, but I’m still not sure I had it right as I was dripping with sweat before the gun went off.

Before the start, I ran into Nimmals over from the sub-3 forum. Super nice guy who gave me some very helpful tangent tips. You guys know me: I love running tangents, and without his help, I would have completely botched it as it’s a very deceiving course.

Race

My intention all along was to run sub 17 pace no matter what. I decided that in order to do that, I HAD to get out of the gate hot. You guys know I’m usually a negative split guy, but there was just no way I could ease into this race and hope to break 17. So I really pushed it, with my first half mile coming in right around 2:30. At this point, I was in third, and was pretty good with how I was feeling.

At the 1 mile marker, I was still in third, but gaining on 2nd place. There was also somebody who had caught up to me and was running right behind me. I had a feeling he was going to be the guy I would run the rest of the race with, as he clearly had worked hard to catch all the way up.

I ended up passing the guy in 2nd place pretty quickly. At about the 1.5 mile mark, I also passed the guy in 1st. I have never had a lead this late in the race, so it was definitely a new feeling. All along, I had a sneaky suspicion the guy behind me would eventually pass, but he was still just hanging on.

At this point, things really started to hurt (queuing Brew here who thinks I’m not mentally tough ). 5Ks are a bitch, because you can really let it slip around 1.5m, or 3K in. The only thing that kept me going at this point was a) I really wanted sub 17 b) the guy right behind me and c) I wanted to give myself a good chance to win. I think if these things weren’t true at this point, I would have just let the slow fade set in. Keen - this is important for you, because if this was a TT, I would have just given in at this point.

With about 1200 meters to go, I pulled one of my favorite mental tricks: just imagine this in a workout. It’s only ONE more 1200 meter rep. You’ve done this all summer, you can do this again. Then, when you’re at 800 meters left, that’s nothing! At this point, I saw nimmals again, and he told me to drive! This was super helpful, as it really allowed me to go to the arms and just try to drive it in.

I knew at this point that i had the win in the bag, as I no longer heard the guy behind me (i may have lost him earlier but I wasn’t really thinking too much about it as I zoned in on just getting to the finish). I broke the tape and stopped the watch for a new PR of 16:51!

Post - Race

My calves were absolutely destroyed. They felt like I tore both of them. It’s amazing the different feelings you get depending on the race. For a marathon, your quads are just obliterated, but calves are okay. This was the exact opposite. It took me a long time before I felt like going for my cool down.

Overall, super happy with this race given the very humid conditions. I think in ideal conditions, I could have went for 16:30. I really appreciate the advice on this thread, and I think I may switch one of my V02 max workouts in marathon training (there are only 3 of them over 12 weeks) for a race instead to see if I can get any better.

I’m also glad I accomplished exactly what I wanted this summer: a sub-17 and a great speed base before heading into marathon training, as I said after Boston that I had lost too much of that touch and wanted to really get back to it.

I had lost some motivation this summer with all the shitty weather, but getting this time really has motivated me again. I now have a PR at every single distance in 2019. Now it’s time to knock down some more this fall.

BOTT