Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

watsonc123

JMac - nice RR.  There's a typo in your race time as you state 16:21.

Flavio - are you racing this weekend?  If so, good luck.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

watsonc123

JMac - my aim for next week is 39:59.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks Watson. Wishful thinking 

Flavio - best of luck! You see how bad my taper madness was (it really was my WORSE of all time, that I’m sure of). You’re complaining nearly as much as me, but you’ll never top the leader. You’ve been training like crazy and I think you have a great result in you.

Watson - best of luck to you too. Is this a normal road race? You’ve done so many XC races would be good to see you on a normal course.

Mark - I agree with Piwi. Still amazing what you do with the mileage you put up. I wonder if at some point you just “go for broke” and try for something like averaging 100KM for a half marathon cycle.

Piwi - I hope you stay like this through the rest of the year, and then we can retire together 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac I did a double take when I saw that 16.21 

Don't retire just cut back when you feel the need. Keep running for good health. Then when you get a competitive itch fire back up again. I'm currently finding 40 mpw is very easy and doesn't wear me out but can yield some reasonable fitness. I'm yet to prove this with a result haha.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - great RR and well done again on the race.  In that weather the conditions would've cost you a bit of time but the impact on a 5k would've been a lot less pronounced than longer distances, probably mid-16's would be a fair bet.  Laughed when I read the bit about with 1200m to go, it's really only the same as a 1200m workout rep, I've done the same thing in shorter races (and may well do it next Sunday!).  Nimmals is so right about tangents too.  I've seen some quick runners run shocking lines in races and it still makes me laugh.

Piwi - nice week, saw you logged some reps on the Mount today too.

Watson - nice week, the course for Wellington Road Champs seemed to throw up some fast times last year although equally that could just be because there's a lot of quick runners down your way especially at Scottish.  The Auckland course used to be surprisingly slow for a course which is basically flat, although they've taken the stupid double hairpin out of it which should make it a lot quicker.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

JMac - a 10k cross country in 39:59 is a pipe dream!  It is a road race.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JMac  - I’d actually be more worried if you didn’t create so much drama the week before a race because that’s the norm for you!  Sub 17 and the win doesn’t get any better than that.....unless of course you aim for the course record next year!  Was there any prize money to help pay for your expensive shoes?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Poa day run 5K race report

TL;DR;
                  wife has a new shiny 5k PR in 24:34
                  I had a disappointing 18:12, 8 seconds from the PR time. (3:31, 3:36, 3:40, 3:45, 3:39)

Pre-race
                  This is one of the bigger local races with options to run 3, 5, 8 and 16K.
                  The field was very, very strong and I was honestly happy about it hoping to find many
                  rabbits along the way.
                  Unlike Jmac, I didn't look much at the weather. I knew it would be slightly colder, maybe it would run.
                  We've got basically 2 types of weather here, it's either warm and suffocating or cold and super windy
                  Most of the races are held at the lake front where there's wind in abundance.
                  I spent the week feeling super tired due to a strong strength training session on Monday,
                  but today I finally woke up better.
                  My pre-race ritual involves downing a couple of fruit bars which is quick energy that
                  does not require much work by my stomach. Anything else and I'd be stopping at 3k to burp probably.
                  It also involves a sequence of visits to the toilet, today it was 3, though it feels
                  nice to get rid of excess weight beforehand LOL

This race had throwaway chips that you clip to the shoes, which are very convenient, no
                  need to line up for the race chip.

With 20 minutes to go my wife was heading to the toilets and I told her I would head over
                  to the start line tunnel. She was pissed at me, but she always gets pissed at me for that
                  same reason. I always try to find a good starting place.
                  She actually paid the price for lining up way back as she had to run the first K 30s
                  slower due to zombie traffic.

The race

They were doing a count down from 10 when they realized that there were some people on the
                  strollers. So they stopped the countdown and brought all the strollers to the front.
                  and then we had to wait about 5 minutes until they were far enough, and off course they
                  weren't far enough, I wonder how they didn't get run over by the runners.

Somehow, despite only seeing about 5 or 6 people ahead of me at the start tunnel, I have
                  to pass a horde of 200 idiots in the first 400m. Why do race organizers bother with
                  pace bracelets if they aren't going to enforce it.

Anyway, I'm doing my best to avoid zigzagging too much, but I'm doing a poor job at it.
                  As a result, by the end of the first km into the head wind I'm getting winded already.
                  This is a bad sign, I should start suffering after the turn around point.
                  1km split 3:31

2nd km is uneventful as I'm still passing a lot o people while trying to keep at race
                  pace.
                  2km split 3:36

After the 2nd km mark I started seeing constantly 3:40 on the watch which was a very
                  bad sign. I've tried to up the tempo a bit and passed even more people.
                  Around here I noticed the lead female and a dude who always runs close to 18 minutes.
                  I decide to stick around then to try to run a sub 18.
                  Unfortunately I'm slowing down, both the lead female and mr 18 minutes passed me and are
                  about 10m ahead now.
                  3km split 3:40

The 4th km is always the worst for me. The 3km walker zombies are taking all the space
                  on the road so we have to go onto the sidewalk. Mr 18 minutes and the lead female are
                  now opening a gap in front of me and I'm slowing and slowing and getting more and more
                  pissed off. Some other dudes pass me as well.
                  Here is where I start having bad thoughts. I start thinking of just jogging it home
                  since a PR is unlikely to happen. There's a struggle in my mind as the fierce competitor
                  battles the lazy ass myself.
                  I keep telling myself, frigg this, let's make it a race to 4k then.
                  No matter how much motivation I try to push onto myself, it's a slow 4 and it's
                  where the PR escaped me.
                  4km split 3:45

The next 500m I'm deep into the suffering zone, just seem to lack any energy and gasping
                  for air. With 500 to go I decide to pass the guy in front of me. I figure I need to make
                  a strong move so he's not encouraged to follow me along. So I start a long drawn out
                  sprint to the finish line, pass him, pass the guy in front of him, pass about 20 3km
                  walker zombies all the way to the finish line.
                  5km split 3:39

I look at the watch and it says 18:12. Soo frustrating, I was almost certain I had
                  this in the bag. I had a 10:34 back in May this year, I did a lot of speed workouts,
                  albeit many of them are targeting the anaerobic system. I've done a 10 week strength
                  program, I should be stronger by now.
                  But alas, it just wasn't my day.
                  On the bright side, I was 20 seconds faster than last October, and I'm now 8 seconds
                  away from a new 5k pr. If I drop the halteroforkism sessions every week and do some more
                  specific aerobic intervals I might take it down later this year.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - I think Brew was referring to how my you get psyched up about things like weather. He probably meant that you should relax more, ignore the weather reports and just go by your day and worry about it just 5 minutes before the race.

Assuming he meant that, that advice applies to me as well. I get so tense, I probably would benefit from being more laid back, tension causes waste of energy.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

(hopefully) last but not least: I'm sure the head wind on the first 2.5km didn't help. By the time the wind was helping me I had no legs.

I think a couple more round of 10 weeks of dedicated strength training might get me through a 5k with the core engaged. Today the core gave up around 3k.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - the first thing nimmals said to me when he saw me was “you’re not wearing the Vaporfly?” I’m still not sold on them for 5Ks although I’m going to have to try them in an interval workout to see what I think. I really like the feel of the firmer Takumi Sen for 5K pace. Anyway, no prize money, just a shiny medal.

Flavio - you hit exactly the same rough point around 3KM. If I know I’m not on PR pace at that point, that’s where the pace really starts to slip. Anyway, as usual, a great race report from you, although I expected more Jesus/Unicorn references. I’d also say that I really had to run a bunch of 5Ks this summer before I figured out what it’s supposed to feel like if you’re running by feel. I think if I felt like I did yesterday during my first 5K, the pace would have definitely slipped, but I knew from experience that I can actually continue to hold that awful feeling for the final 2K. You will be faster at your next crack at this.

Regarding taper madness, in some ways it helps me because then I just say “screw this” and I don’t stress as much. I’ve had only one race where something wasn’t going wrong: NYC 2018. Otherwise, it’s either stress fractures or weather!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

Flavio - nice race.  In a full and half I have dealt with annoying walkers and people who sprint past at the start, but never in a 5k.  That could have easily been 8 seconds.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - the first thing nimmals said to me when he saw me was “you’re not wearing the Vaporfly?” I’m still not sold on them for 5Ks although I’m going to have to try them in an interval workout to see what I think. I really like the feel of the firmer Takumi Sen for 5K pace. Anyway, no prize money, just a shiny medal.

That’s very cool that you got to meet Slammin and him giving you advice before and during the race! Yeah I knew you weren't going to race in the VFs and just thought some prize money would’ve helped go towards your next pair. 😁

Flavio - Congrats even though it wasn’t a PB! That just wasn’t an ideal fast race with all the hassle of overtaking runners and then lapping the zombies...it reminds me of a Parkrun I used to race which is 3 laps and the last lap is just weaving and it definitely slows you down and affects your focus. The good thing is that 5ks don’t take long to recover from so keep racing them as you’ll easily go Sub 18 this year. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Flavio still a fantastic time. I  agree with Watson an easy 8 secs lost on traffic.

One thing I note off your Strava profile is your mileage never gets above 55kms per week. While I know you are training specifically for middle distance, a 5k requires more mileage. But I know you juggle injuries with training so maybe this is your sweet spot.

Oh and big congratulations to your wife.

Jmac next time you bump into Slammin tell him Piwi wants him to post up that 1980s aerobics video he is in 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac next time you bump into Slammin tell him Piwi wants him to post up that 1980s aerobics video he is in 

I don't ask much of my subjects constituents in this thread, but I need details on this immediately.