Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

dj_dubb

James - those are not 'slow' 1200m repeats by any means, especially for someone doing programming in 1986.

Flavio - week was good, I'll post details at the end here. I would agree on Q run then long run the day after would be too much for me. I can do the other way around quite nicely though. I've had some of my best tempo runs the day after a long run.

Matthew - A full week of biking, that's something I could never do. Still looks like a great way to stay fit while injured. Maybe I missed it before, but I take it the RnR Arizona Half is out this weekend?

Marco - I agree with the others, an 8k is nothing that will impact you too much. I do exactly the same as Keen mentioned which is front load the miles in the week when I want a good hard race in the middle of a training block. Killer tempo there, bet that feels awesome.

Keen - stride it out a couple runs before you go out for a hard Q session, you'll find it's a great way to loosen things up first. I used to like the higher end watches myself, but over the years I'm back to just a FR 10 (as basic as a watch gets). I know my local routes so well by mileage that I run watch less much of the time as well.

Brent - you built the cake, now lay some icing over it with your 18/70.

Jmac - yeah my first full was the same. Could hardly move around the first few days after without clutching walls, desks, handrails, etc. Going down stairs was almost out of the question. I still can't really imagine a half a few weeks after a full, but then again I don't like the full. You're correct, it's just like anything else in that it gets easier with experience. I used to be down and out for anything fast 2-3 weeks after a half, but nowadays it's less than a week before I'm back to Q sessions. 5ks to 5 milers hardly affect me at all. Even a hard PR attempt at a 5k won't be much different than a hard Q session.

Mark - 30k is not by any means too much for half marathon training. The percentage of your overall weekly volume is perhaps just a tad too high in my personal opinion, but again not much. Clearly it works for you, so I'd keep doing what you're doing.

I know I'm a couple days late especially for you eastern hemispherians living in the future, but here's my last week.

M - 8 miles recovery pace, watchless (from 10k tempo Sun)

Tu - 6 miles recovery pace, watchless

W - 7 miles easy 8:02/mile avg. + weights

Th - 9 miles easy 7:54/mile avg. + 4x100m strides at the track

F - 5 miles easy watchless

Sa - 17 miles easy 7:45/mile avg

Su - 8 miles easy watchless + 4x100m strides at the track

(60 miles total)

JMac 5k was "postponed" to Feb 9th due to the Government shutdown .  Hopefully the shutdown will be over by then and the race will go on.

So far the are director has been unable to contact anyone over the park so we shall see..... 

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Dj, thanks I agree with the reading on the 8K, I just need to plan it now Smile

And Yes it does fell awesome. When I got at the end I almost finished with my arms up (then I realised that somebody in the neighbourhood could see me and I composed my self...

I wanted to tell everybody in my family when I got back (they woke up 30 minutes after I enter the door at 7 am...) but they were not impressed... I guess 2 things: first it is not an impressive time to anybody else, but it is for me considering where I am and this is why I like running, it's personal! and 2: my family are not runners (yet Wink )

Ps. yours looks like a great week to me!!!

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Matt - I have a pretty good system down now of knowing when I can run through something, which generally is a 1 out of 10 pain. Unfortunately that comes with experience and you may not know right now when you will be ready to go again. I used to wait until there was zero pain with all my injuries, but if I did that with this PTT, I would be on the shelf for probably 3 months, which isn't necessary. You just have to be able to run pain free, with the occasional niggle.

DJ - I agree a half would be out of the question 2 weeks after, but I feel like 4.5 weeks gives me 2 weeks of recovery, a third week of getting some quality in, and then 1.5 weeks of "taper." it's interesting you did some recovery runs watchless. I think a lot of people suggest that, but I'm the exact opposite: recovery days are exactly the days I need my watch, because then I'll see if I'm running too fast.

I know I'm a couple days late especially for you eastern hemispherians living in the future

It's not their funny accents, driving on the wrong side of the road, or their invasion of this thread. It's this. This is what drives me nuts about the Kiwis.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Marco - Nice workout, and I'm glad I could help out just a bit!

DJ - I probably will do some strides before my next workout, which I'm planning on hill repeats for. I may have to adjust how hard and long those repeats are to accommodate the hills I have access to within my current "running range".
            For most runs I hardly look at my watch at all, but I do like having that automatic log of my mileage - not that I don't have distances for my usual routes memorized. Something like an FR10/25 would nearly work for me except that I couldn't use my Stryd with it. That thing is so blasted useful for helping get workout intensities correct on hills/uneven terrain. Certainly something that'll be useful when I start doing tempo and interval work on roads again. Plus I use my watch as a daily watch as well, and the Fenix doesn't necessarily scream "fitness accessory" on those days I go in to the office.

Mark - I'm really enjoying our latest game. I am having a difficult time finding a way to make progress, though. I'm thinking that the game is probably about dead even as it stands.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Cfar bugger on the 5k. Thats the 2nd Government shutdown since Trump has been in isnt it ?

DJ solid week. The FR10 is a little workhorse. Im on my 4th watch now the latest been an FR235 which I got 2nd hand. Mainly for the bigger data fields so I can read them and my old Tomtom used to read 100m short every 10kms compared to all mt garmin mates.

OKC and Atlanta today. Good win against the Spurs and the Trailblazers lost yesterday to keep them off our back slightly.

Steve you probably already know this but the Strava phone app only shows 1km splits while on PC version you can click on laps to get the breakdown.

I may be going to Taihape for the weekend so you can sleep in.

My calf is still good and Im thinking that its healed now. Ive only 12 weeks till race day and my last 18 week average is only 55kms/34 miles which is pretty ratshit but I will keep chipping away at mostly easy mileage for now.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

DJW- nice week.  Looking forward to seeing how your 25km race goes!

Corey - that shutdown sure seems to be dragging on.  Sucks that it impacted your race (although it probably sucks more for the workers that aren't getting paid!).

Keen - yeah it's been an interesting game.  Quite evenly poised and when it's queen/rook/rook each it's fairly high stakes still!

Piwi - we've had a couple of cooler mornings up here, it's been quite nice actually. You did have a bunch of consistent 50 mile weeks before that so you never know.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - Losing to Atlanta by 16 is a disgrace. Your team is trash!

Keen - There's a long discussion going on in Sub 3 regarding Daniels, you may want to peruse.

Mark - You are the track king lately.

MJ/Flavio - You two need to get back to posting more!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mark yes same here bit cooler. I see in Sydney they are getting 40 to 45 c this week ! We may get some heat from that.

Jmac ugh that game was hard to watch. We are playing below average right now.

I could start the pfitz 12 week  55 to 70 mile plan Monday if my body can cope.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - I didn't know that, thanks.

Let me know your movements, a beer is also a nice option.

I squeezed in my moving day run before the fun started...I don't know if that was necessary, I was as shattered as I've ever been last night.  Thankfully 90% of it is done and I now live in my own house (the bank may disagree with that statement).  The weekend in Tauranga looks hot hot hot, good for a break, not for a long run.  Besides piwi, I have another potential running mate there who moved up from Wellington 2 months ago.  Every run on strava has a complaint about the heat Smile  And he's no slouch, a 1:10 half and 2:30 full kind of guy.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - I have a feeling that one of us is probably going to slip up and that's going to be the game given the current balance - me having pressure against your king (short term advantage) vs you having an extra couple pawns (long term advantage).

JMac - Thanks for the tip off to the discussion, I hadn't seen it. I was planning on at least following that forum more this year, but just haven't done it with my lack of running the last month or so.
                        Paces being as tricky as they are is one reason I like my Stryd. Assuming my weight stays pretty constant, one number (wattage) outputted from it lines up really well, even if my pace at that wattage changes. In peak shape hitting 310W would be ~6:15/mi on flats, but right now it's probably closer to 6:45-7:00/mi - same intensity, though.

Quite glad I broke with tradition and stepped outside of the house to check the weather this morning instead of just looking at the local conditions on my phone. Reported 40*/5mpw wind was actually probably closer to 35*/15mpw wind, and I would have froze and likely cut my run short had I dressed for the reported conditions. Not quite sure what to make of this morning's run, or if I should. I tried some strides and just felt heavy, like I had no power. But my overall pace was faster than I figured it was just by feel (fog could have affected this perception).

Maybe the feeling of the strides should have been expected, but I've never had this much of a break from running, so it's new territory for me.
                        I did get a little more hopeful for the year after Strava creeping a (slightly faster) running buddy - he had zero running for nearly 3 months to start last year and still went sub-3 at CIM.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

watsonc123

I squeezed in my moving day run before the fun started...I don't know if that was necessary...

You are in the front running for the "most poorly thought out run in 2019" award.  I moved two times last year, it is so tiring, no way I would run on those days.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

watsonc123

Cfar bugger on the 5k. Thats the 2nd Government shutdown since Trump has been in isnt it ?

Steve you probably already know this but the Strava phone app only shows 1km splits while on PC version you can click on laps to get the breakdown.

On Garmin if you so say  do 4 * 800m with 200m easy, if you log each 800 and 200 as a lap on your watch, you see time taken and average speed for each lap.

I realize on Strava you can see the graph, but I don't think you get the splits.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I realize on Strava you can see the graph, but I don't think you get the splits.

I didn't know it either, but thanks to Piwi I now noticed there's a Laps link on the desktop web version of Strava that lets you see all the splits (i.e. All the manual laps you created by pressing the lap button). It's not on the mobile app though.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Quite glad I broke with tradition and stepped outside of the house to check the weather this morning instead of just looking at the local conditions on my phone. Reported 40*/5mpw wind was actually probably closer to 35*/15mpw wind, and I would have froze and likely cut my run short had I dressed for the reported conditions.

That's freezing cold, did you make sure to protect your precious

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly