Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Marky_Mark_17

OK sure Piwi but that 50-year old does look kind of like the Terminator.

Steve - that is a bummer about the job but at least you get some free time (maybe too much?!).  Hopefully you got a decent cheque out of it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark yeah he won his Age group at London. They were picking him apart on Letsrun forum because of his body builder type body.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Mark yeah he won his Age group at London. They were picking him apart on Letsrun forum because of his body builder type body.

Probably not too many of them would be running faster than 2:36 though right lol

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Probably not too many of them would be running faster than 2:36 though right lol

The point of that thread was that the guy was juiced, as they claimed that no 50 year old looks like that AND runs 2:36 marathons.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

He sure looks more like a bodybuilder than a runner. Veins popping out everywhere. Still very impressive running.

Marky_Mark_17

He sure looks more like a bodybuilder than a runner. Veins popping out everywhere. Still very impressive running.

I'm not pretending to be an expert on performance-enhancing drugs, but I would've thought the sorts of drugs that help you get huge (anabolic steroids) would be a bit counter-productive from a running perspective (big muscles don't help you run faster - if anything the extra mass just slows you down).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

There was a poster from the old RW Sub 3:20 thread (I can’t remember his screen name) but he took up serious bodybuilding and still ran a very fast 2:4x marathon. It was blatantly obvious from a race photo posted that he was on steroids. You don’t get that look just from drinking protein shakes.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Haha on top of that the picture is sponsored by Aldi, the el cheapo of supermarkets.

Flavio I have been behaving because I have hardly been on here. And that is because I am still battling my calf sprain. 2 months almost 3. Started physio on Monday and its already better. I can only go easy. A bit boring and I am itching. But well.

By the way to all those who complain about your arm movements. I mean you are Italian after all. We all know how Italians talk; its with their hands and arms. To tell you to stop moving your arms is like telling an Italian to stop talking. Its pointless, really. Marco would probably agree, che cosa Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Steroids definitely help distance runners. In smaller amounts and more frequency they help with recovery and allow more workouts. Because the workouts are low weight high volume they build the body differently.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Haha on top of that the picture is sponsored by Aldi, the el cheapo of supermarkets.

Flavio I have been behaving because I have hardly been on here. And that is because I am still battling my calf sprain. 2 months almost 3. Started physio on Monday and its already better. I can only go easy. A bit boring and I am itching. But well.

By the way to all those who complain about your arm movements. I mean you are Italian after all. We all know how Italians talk; its with their hands and arms. To tell you to stop moving your arms is like telling an Italian to stop talking. Its pointless, really. Marco would probably agree, che cosa Smile

Fully agree!

Sorry for the absence. I am going through a really heavy period at work and barely managing to get out and run, so I had almost no time to write here... I have been struggling lately. I say is because my body is getting used to b back in Northern Ireland (grey and rainy) after a few weeks in the sunny Italy). I feel tired. I had a couple of bad weeks with low mileage. Last week wasn't bad, with 35 miles and a 13 miles long run, but without managing my reps (6X1000 interrupted during the fourth repetition as I was feeling without any energy),

Today I managed a good sessin finally. Not perfect, but at least I didn't gave up. It was a 5X1200mt with 400mr jog in between aiming for 4'30'', knowing that it was difficult.

I got

4'27''

4'32''

4'34''

4'37''

4'37''

I faded a bit, probably I am not in great shape after the difficulties in the last few weeks, but this gives me a hope for the half marathon on the 22nd in Belfast (goal 1'29'59'' - JMac if you want this race can be for your table) and I will try to run a sub 40 10 K on the course where last year I got 40'16''.

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Man, people in this thread have jokes all of a sudden!

London Marathon old dude - yeah, definitely on something - testosterone, HGH, actual anabolics, something. That was a perfectly timed picture, though. Just as he started to put pressure on his foot from landing to flex those monster quads.
                        Ryan Hall hit the weight really hard after he dropped professional running, but could probably drop a 2:3x if he was keeping up any kind of base. I think he ran the World Marathon Challenge (7 marathons, 7 days, 7 continents) a couple years ago, come to think of it.

Marco - Nice that you're getting out there to get in a workout, even after all the interruptions and lower mileage.

Oddly good run this morning, in one of the hottest/most humid mornings we've had. Not fast (not slow, though), but I just felt surprisingly good all the way through.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Keen sounds like you hit the runners high on that run.

Marco nice job on the 1200s. You travel alot which I bet messes with your energy levels.

Mick hope that calf is on the mend.

I used to run against a guy like that in 5ks a few years ago. He was muscly and early 50s and owned a gym. He had a solid upper body but could still run mid 17s 5k.

I did a lunchtime tempo yesterday. Was aiming for 6kms around 4 min/km but I felt pretty good and did 7kms at a bit under 4 min/km within a 13km run. A few weeks ago I could barely break 20 min 5k so good to see an improvement.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

piwi - I find the sweet spot of where things progress is usually in the 4-8 week period after resuming. Makes sense why most training plans for half marathons are 12 weeks with a 2 week taper, as you've gotten enough time to reap the rewards of that period without overtarining.

Keen - looks like humidity is going to break this weekend. I hope for good.

Italians - I'm half Italian, so what does that mean, my arms move at a slightly exaggerated pace?

Mark - can you do me a favor and not set ridiculous PRs again this racing season? I really want to at least be able to smell your PRs . I really need to get a sub 1:15 half during my buildup.

Me - finishing up my 4 days in a row of high mileage (50 miles in 4 days) before heading off to Tanzania. I'll have very limited Internet, so I'll catch up with all of you in 1.5 weeks. Don't break the place while I'm gone.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Pictures from the race, now looking back it's pretty funny:

Strollers - strollers on the inside causing waves on the running crowd as dozens try to avoid them. Also the only moment I was feeling good, before the 1km mark.

Race obstacles - you had to go around dozens of the slow runners/walkers from the 3k race

wind wall - Using a tall dude to protect against the wind (he's also the 18 min 5k runner I referenced in the race report)

Running outside, in the bike lane - to avoid the walkers from the 3km race

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - can you do me a favor and not set ridiculous PRs again this racing season? I really want to at least be able to smell your PRs . I really need to get a sub 1:15 half during my buildup.

I promise nothing!

Although, this Sunday is looking like it could be pretty windy, and I'm not going in with a time goal for the Dunedin HM.  Instead, the Dunedin goal is gonna be GOLD MEDAL! (in my AG, that is, and assuming no late entries from the likes of Sam Wreford or Greg Darbyshire!).  I figure it's basically me vs. this Dwight Grieve guy, his 10km times are slightly quicker than mine but equally I don't run a lot of 10km's and his are all on fast net downhill courses.  Also I have Vaporfly's (although he might too).

I don't think these next two races will be the quickest ones.  I reckon the races where I might pull out really good times (subject to weather, injury and all that stuff) will be NZ Road Champs 10km in mid-Sept, and Kerikeri HM in November.

Marco - great to see you back!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"