Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - I think I did, too. Funny thing is I didn't notice it until I only had a mile left. I was just cruising along, thinking about whatever, and suddenly I'm a mile from the house and I finally looked at my watch and realized my HR had been really low the whole time.
    It does seem like you've been making some rapid progress in just the last couple weeks.

JMac - You're finally getting a break in the weather and you head off to tropical Africa??
    No such respite here - though at the very end of the month there's a chance the high won't get out of the 80's which I'm phyched for.
    Enjoy the trip!

Flavio - Ha! Looks like quite the mess.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Me - finishing up my 4 days in a row of high mileage (50 miles in 4 days) before heading off to Tanzania. I'll have very limited Internet, so I'll catch up with all of you in 1.5 weeks. Don't break the place while I'm gone.

OK guys, you know the drill.  Metric system, weather complaining (except for Keen and DPS who probably have legitimate reasons to complain about the weather), discussions about NZ runners, bonus points for getting all three in the same post (credibly).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Kerikeri is downhill.

Just got back from work trip.  Monday was a long, long day.  Ended up being 15.5 hours door to door, as delays at Wellington (frost on wings, and a broken de-icing machine) , and wind cancellations at Sydney.  So no sightseeing time in Canberra.  Thankfully return leg was quick.

Managed to get in the two 8km runs (on treadmill).

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

OK guys, you know the drill.  Metric system, weather complaining (except for Keen and DPS who probably have legitimate reasons to complain about the weather), discussions about NZ runners, bonus points for getting all three in the same post (credibly).

Nice thing, since it is getting later in the year, is that my race in northern Wisconsin (Check a map NZ people ;-)) should be between 53-60 degrees.  I will have few excuses on race day.  That said, almost all my training has been between 78-95 degrees with crazy humidity since the middle of may.  Hopefully this will make for a snappy race.

While I'm at it....  I'm going to move my goal to 1:28:00 for the half marathon this weekend.  I think this will be closer to my time and I don't want to be way under and be accused going way under my goal.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JamesD

JamesD

...weather complaining (except for Keen and DPS who probably have legitimate reasons to complain about the weather)...

I may have as legit reasons as Keen or DPS to complain about the weather.  With all the talk about TDPs, I went back and looked them up for my runs of 10+ miles/16+ km this summer, and they've averaged 150.  (Of course, for various reasons I've only done as many long runs this summer as Keen does in a really good week, but we'll skip that...)  Didn't check many of my other runs, but I expect they were around the same.  The highest I found was 163 for a 4.5-mile very easy run while on vacation in Florida.  Steve, did you have any days like that when you were over here?  This summer does seem to have been the hottest/most humid in several years around here, so maybe I'll get faster when it eventually cools down.

Does that check all three boxes - metric, weather, and NZ?

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

James - you're definitely winning so far!

DPS - you might find the better conditions make a big difference if you're coming off hot humid weather for training.  Definitely JMac found that with his PB half last year.

BTW - Wisconsin is in the north and the middle of the US, right?  I want to say it's a state or two over from Illinois but don't quote me on that (that was without looking at a map).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I may have as legit reasons as Keen or DPS to complain about the weather.  With all the talk about TDPs, I went back and looked them up for my runs of 10+ miles/16+ km this summer, and they've averaged 150.  (Of course, for various reasons I've only done as many long runs this summer as Keen does in a really good week, but we'll skip that...)  Didn't check many of my other runs, but I expect they were around the same.  The highest I found was 163 for a 4.5-mile very easy run while on vacation in Florida.  Steve, did you have any days like that when you were over here?  This summer does seem to have been the hottest/most humid in several years around here, so maybe I'll get faster when it eventually cools down.

Does that check all three boxes - metric, weather, and NZ?

I didn't actually check any TDPs but I had to make every run very easy pace, and only 8-10km.  It was only the last run that didn't feel like torture as I slowly adjusted.  Is TDP available on Strava?  Looking back at the worst of my runs in South Beach, Miami and I can't see it.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JamesD

JamesD

I didn't actually check any TDPs but I had to make every run very easy pace, and only 8-10km.  It was only the last run that didn't feel like torture as I slowly adjusted.  Is TDP available on Strava?  Looking back at the worst of my runs in South Beach, Miami and I can't see it.

I don't know about Strava, but you should be able to find the T and the DP on the Weather Underground site, wunderground.com.  Just search for the city, then click on history, enter the date you want, and scroll down to get info for every hour.  For some reason, my weather station shows data for 7:51, 8:51, 9:51, etc.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

Looking like it might be pretty windy on Sunday up here.  Given it's a 5-lap course, and it's only into the wind for about 1/3 of each lap, it could be worse - it's not like you've got to run 5km straight into the wind.  It'll slow things up a bit though so I'm glad I just decided to use this as a warm-up for next weekend.  I get another crack at the same course (hopefully with better weather conditions!) in 3 weeks time anyway.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - No excuses LOL go get that AG gold medal regardless!

Watson - these work trips/traveling in general really mess up with our routines. Kudos for soldiering on.

Dps - Wisconsin is where the guys from that 70’s show live!

me - I seem to be back on track after taking an extra rest day yesterday. I've ran on the same rutty course (thanks Piwi for the new vocab) nearby and I ran pretty close to the prescribed paces (mile pace).

It's now 2 weeks to the time trial (Sep 5th) and I suppose we'll soon start with some tapering of sorts.

I think this is the 2nd time I've followed a specific training schedule with a target race, ever.

Over the past 3 months I have mostly sacrificed weekly mileage in the name of a LOT more strength training and a lot of mile repeats, which I assume is R pace in Daniels lingo.

It's teaching me also the importance of periodization, not only of the running part but also of the strength training part, which needs to match your running objectives in terms of volume and load.

The other day I ran 2:32 for 800 as part of an 800 workout and that really put some thoughts in my mind. If I can taper well and arrive well rested and in good shape September 5th, I could go out in 2:30 for 800 and hold for dear life the last 700. I know I can hold a good pace now for that amount of time.

In other news, a couple of weeks ago, when I ran said 800 in 2:32, I've also had a great run on that Wednesday running 12 moderate with quite a few hills. Then the very next day I attacked a 1200 segment nearby, almost nailing it. At the time I was feeling invincible and I think it might have been my downfall. Since that day I've started feeling more tired, then the next Monday I had a strong strength training session which wiped me and I felt tired all the way to the race and even during the race (heck , even after the race).

So that taught me the importance of holding back even when you feel great cause you might be screwing the plan just a few days later.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Directly north of Illinois (Chicago) and directly west of Michigan and Lake Michigan and directly south of Lake Superior the largest fresh water lake IN DA WOOOOOORRRRRLLLLLLD.  IDK Wisconsin people are oddly proud of Superior.

James - you're definitely winning so far!

DPS - you might find the better conditions make a big difference if you're coming off hot humid weather for training.  Definitely JMac found that with his PB half last year.

BTW - Wisconsin is in the north and the middle of the US, right?  I want to say it's a state or two over from Illinois but don't quote me on that (that was without looking at a map).

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

DPS thanks for the geography lesson. My wife and daughter came to Chicago a couple of years ago.

Man that lake is huge they even surf on it. I tend to know my US geography as the result of NBA teams 

Flavio you definitely have good strength. That 18.05 5k was no joke off relatively low mileage and the 1200m segment at 3.10/km is excellent. Rutty describes our Parkrun  

Mark good luck this weekend. Weather is so unpredictable right now or predictably windy, wet, sunny, and repeat.

Got a mild cold and had a couple of knee tweaks yesterday.  Time for a rest day methinks.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - haha the medal race is HM Champs next week.  This is just the local 10k champs.

Piwi - we have a good crew from my club running, including Greg Darbyshire, Mark Boyce and Mike Wanden.  I think my strategy will be to try and stick with someone who I know is a bit quicker than me and just try and hang in there.  That might be either Mark Boyce or Nick Moore depending how they're going and how I'm feeling on the day.  I might die a bit on the last lap, but BOTT as our benevolent dictator would say.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

1.5 hours Northeast of the Timberwolves.

Man that lake is huge they even surf on it. I tend to know my US geography as the result of NBA teams 

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Taper Madness, part 6

I realised the rolling 12-month plan is missing anything beyond Southern Lakes Half Marathon in early April next year.

I've tentatively added the Christchurch Marathon (with a big TBC) on 30 May (turns out its the 40th anniversary too), and the Clyde to Alexandra Road Race, which is a long-running 10k (over 50 years old, apparently started as a 6-miler, there's one for you folks in imperial land).  It starts on a hydro-electric dam and runs net downhill along a state highway to finish in (you guessed it) Alexandra.

The weather looks windy but fine for this Sunday, and pretty good for next Sunday in Dunedin (partly cloudy with light westerlies), but that's 10 days away so everything could change.

I found my probable main rival (barring late entries) for next Sunday on Strava.  That could make for some fun stalking, I mean research, over the next few days.  He runs slightly more km's than me but very few workouts and lots of slow stuff.  If he is looking at my log he probably thinks I am nuts.

Dion O'Neale has also entered (also in the same AG).  He posted an awesome marathon time in Hawkes Bay a few months ago (2:37), but has tended to be a couple minutes slower than me over HM distance - his endurance is great he just hasn't quite got the raw speed.  He is a good dude so hopefully he is on the same flight down.

There are 3 more weeks of this to go, guys.  Please don't kick me off the thread.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"