Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Oh man, certain people are going to have a field day with stereotypes now, piwi *cough* JMac

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Haha Steve yeah it crossed my mind 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

So NZ is basically an Australian convict cattle ranch with animals running free with movies filmed there? Am I reading this right Piwi?

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - first pictures of cattle on your Strava, now this?  It's like you're encouraging taunts at us Kiwis!

Anyway seeing DPS comments on Strava about the Packers playing tonight reminded me that, in other sports, NHL is about to start.  I am a Red Wings fan but it's been tough times for us the last couple of years and unlikely to improve this season.  Anyone else on here follow it?

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Yeah sorry guys for too much sheep subject 

Mark no I don't follow ice hockey but I'm hanging for the NBA even though my beloved OKC have lost their stars.

DP do you have an NBA team ?

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I'm a Timberwolves fan.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - you now have to become a Chris Paul fan!

Sheep/Bovine - Piwi does provide cool beach photos all the time, so I'm just lost as to what NZ actually is. There's a reason they don't put you people on maps. It's better if the world doesn't find out what crazy stuff you kiwis are up to.

Weather report - nobody been talking about the weather lately, which is unacceptable on this thread. Anyway, still 8 days out from my race, BUT it looks like there is a major break in the weather occurring next Friday that should last into the weekend. Race time temps should be right around 50! I haven't raced in temps that cool since my half marathon in March. I hope it holds out.

Goal is still just to PR. I think if I was fully tapered into it, I'd have a chance at sub 35, but I actually plan on increasing my mileage next week from the 70 I've been doing up to 75+. Big Tuesday workout of 18 miles with 10 at MP, so legs will definitely be tired.  Anything in the 35:XX range will be a big confidence boost heading into the rest of my marathon cycle.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks for all the input on different shoe drops so far, all.

Piwi - That's pretty crazy, and laughably stereotypical NZ. Well, I can't laugh too much. I've put cows back in a pasture on more than one run before...

I can talk a bit about the weather! The forecast is still for ~64/17.7*, DP ~60/15.5* for my race next weekend. Certainly not ideal, but by FAR the best running weather I'll have had since probably early/mid April.

If temps try staying below 70/21.1 in the mornings I see myself doing at least a couple runs each week on the treadmill. It gets pretty darn toasty in the garage even if it's below freezing outside, so that will let me at least maintain some heat acclimatization ahead of my goal half.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - coming out of the summer, that's pretty good weather! I would expect minimal impact from that. Much worse if it was that weather in the spring. Remember - we both have to PR here to keep the good vibes going!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac it's a brave man who believes a weather forecast over a week out  but when it eventually comes good for you I'm sure your speed will go through the roof.

Chris Paul is real good although they would trade him in heartbeat as old and expensive!

Dp how are the Timberwolves looking for th season ?

Keen I should do a wildlife count sometime like you.

I will never see an actual Kiwi though as they are nocturnal and pretty rare.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I certainly agree that it's pretty darn good running weather relative to what I've been running in. And it'll easily be the best weather that race has seen since the first year it was held - which was put on at the end of October, rather than the beginning.
                        To PR is the plan!

Didn't you suggest that I do something like 6E, 10M coming up? I have that stuck in my mind but can't for the life of me find the post in which you said it (assuming you did say it!).

Piwi - I think it would be quite interesting to see all the wildlife you encounter on your runs. I have to leave cows out of my counts, otherwise I'd be mentioning a lot of them each and every run.

I'm currently 99.87% of the way to signing up for the Dallas Marathon on Dec. 15...

Correction: I have signed up for Dallas. BOTT! 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

As every year since they were created....the Twolves should be....ok.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - is it a flat course?  I'd say you'd be sub-35 with a bit of a taper and the right conditions on a flat course.  You should hit 35: xx if conditions are good if you run easy after that Tuesday workout.

Piwi - the weather forecasts in the US are typically a lot more reliable than ours.  They have large landmasses which makes most weather patterns reasonably predictable.  Whereas because we are a little island in the middle of an ocean it's a bit harder to predict.  Although the further out you go, the lower the degree of certainty regardless of where you are.

Keen - it's on!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DP yeah I guess it's hard not having loads of stars in your team. Pity Jimmy Butler left. I'm still getting used to the turnover of players in the NBA. I hate how money dictates teams. That Carl Anthony-Towns is an amazing player. You had Gasol too ?

Mark yeah the weather is very changeable here. Most of my hobbies are sea related so I'm always watching closely for weather windows etc.

Doha is on now right. I think Jacob Ingebrigtesen got DQed in the 5000m which is a real shame.

Thought I better do a road run today after mostly trails recently. Managed a 5k portion in under 19 mins with only the last km at 5k pace.

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - solid 5k effort!

Me - shuffled the week a bit so I'm finished already.  We switch to daylight savings overnight tonight, I know you guys think I am nuts for getting up to run at 4am, but we lose an hour's sleep tonight and even I'm not so crazy that I would get up at the equivalent of 3am to get my long run in before wifey goes to work.  Plus, the annual NZ 24 hour champs are on at the track today/tomorrow, so I had to get my track session done early.  Honest to god I have no idea how people run around in circles for 24 hours straight.

Anyway, the legs were actually feeling better by the end of the week than they did at the start, which is funny because I ended up running 8 days straight which is a new record for me.  Looking to log some more good weeks, next weekend is road relays where I'm doing a 9.5km leg but I'm not really going to tweak the running schedule too much for that.

M: 8.2km recovery, weights

T: 12km with hill sprints

W: 22.1km easy

T: 15km with intervals

F: 14km track session

S: 29.2km long run

S: day off

Total: 100.6km

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"