Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Get it in when you can.  Even if it is a 20 min shuffle before bed or in the morning.  The key is getting out the door.  30 min total including a shower.  It always helps me lower my stress.  Good luck.

I finished a fairly demotivated week, with only 4 miles ran during the week (I had a travel to Manchester for 3 days and a lot of work to do) and 6+10 over the weekend. I am thinking about an additional 3K test later, but I am not sure about it.

I have 8 international trips in the next few months (until end of December), so I am not sure how I can manage to keep motivated. I have tried by signing up to a 10K on the 30th of November... let's see.

Have you seen Bekele!!! 2 seconds from the incredible word record ran last year by Kipchoge ... incredible. I guess those new shoes do help them!!!

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

DPS - doing a track session the day after an interval session there was definitely a bit of fatigue in the legs, but not as bad as I expected.  Hit some good pace but just had to work a little harder than normal for it.  Nice week from you and looking forward to seeing how your 10-miler goes as you've definitely been putting in the work lately.  I think JMac is the only other one on here that has raced that decent in the last little while.

Marco - agree with DPS, just to try and fit something in even if it's just a short, easy run.  Even if I didn't have races to target, I'd still be running every day just because it helps clear my head and relax.  I always enjoy running when travelling because I get to explore new places but some places are safer/easier than others to run.

Paul - nice week.

Piwi - funny you mention it, when I was running doubles I often used to find the easy one late-afternoon I would get hungry and / or a bit light-headed.

Corey - great news on the BQ, lots of time to train for it now that you are back into things as well.

In Kiwi running news (especially for JMac), Camille Buscomb ran an Olympic qualifier in the 10,000m at World Champs in Doha.  She went out really quick and I thought she might fade a bit but she hung in there to run 31:13 which was a PB.  I think this puts her second overall on the NZ all-time list behind Kim Smith.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Mark- That's what i was thinking.  It was a quick turn around with that workout and was wondering how gassed you were.  I usually bomb the last interval when that happens.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I have a pass to watch all the events on NBC Gold, so have watch literally every minute of these...just loving it, although the heat is completely horrible for the athletes.  The marathon was insane.  I think these mixed relays are a fun new event.  Fun to see world class men and women running side by side for perspective.

In Kiwi running news (especially for JMac), Camille Buscomb ran an Olympic qualifier in the 10,000m at World Champs in Doha.  She went out really quick and I thought she might fade a bit but she hung in there to run 31:13 which was a PB.  I think this puts her second overall on the NZ all-time list behind Kim Smith.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

DPS it's actually pretty ridiculous running an elite-level marathon in those temperatures.  The slow times and DNFs are just bad for the athletes and the sport.  A number of runners have just skipped it altogether too.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I just makes me mad that we can't address clear corruption (FIFA, IAAF, Olympics, etc) in these world championships.  No way these should be anyplace that hot.

I think they should spread it around the world, but the all the international orgs should say they will follow each other so a county can build the infrastructure and host the world cup, then Olympics, then world championships, etc so they get a return on investment and not build these stadiums and not use them again.  Also the kickbacks and huge tax credits need to be eliminated.  If the county builds the facilities, they should also get all the tax revenue the events generate.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Dp another good week for you. Look forward to your 10 mile. I'm very good at getting free streaming off the net but that Berlin Marathon was a no go. Never mind it will be up on YouTube soon.

Mark ahh the beautiful Camille... that's an awesome

10 000m.

Marco I agree with Mark running is a great stress reliever and so much fun in new cities.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

MJ - no, not really, maybe a kg or so

Shoes - the impact depends a bit on the drop, but it also depends a lot on how your body is structured/moves.

A lot of us have a lack of ankle dorsiflexion which causes strain on the calves (also plantar fasciitis) when we run

on lower drop shoes.

I used to have a lot of shin splints when running on higher drop shoes, for instance.

But I usually had to buy then 1 to 2 sizes bigger cause I have wide feet.

Ever since I started running in Altras I can now buy shoes my own size.

Jmac - vomiting due to being hungry, that’s a new one and very hard to grasp, sounds very alien to me.

Marco - well, the motivation usually comes from the need to relieve stress/anxiety. Or also the need to run 2 seconds faster so we can beat our local rivals.

me - another easy running week, dodging street dogs while traveling, and conquering a Strava segment in my parents hometown (after having failed the last attempt by one second).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Sub-19 with only one 1k at 5k pace? Wow, that's fast!

Mark - good week. DST is coming for us as well, but not for nearly a month.

JMac - Good week! Loving the consistently higher mileage. It kinda wears on you though, doesn't it? I have the exact opposite thing with not eating before a run - if I'm hungry before a run, it goes away within the first mile and I won't feel hungry until well after the run (even with no calories during the run). ETA: On LRs I do carry one "break glass in case of emergency" gel, but including the two hobby jog marathons this past spring I've never needed them for myself. I have given it to someone else who clearly needed the calories a few times. 
                    Even with moving that next workout to Tuesday so I wouldn't immediately have to follow up a 20 miler with a workout I'm not looking forward to tomorrow at all. Temps and humidity have been way up there again (TDP ~145+), and my only saving grace in the weather has been the stronger-than-usual wind.

CFarr - Congrats on making it in to Botswana! Locally there seemed to be more rejections than acceptance - I know one guy who got in by 2 seconds.
                    Personally, I would build up the base more before starting quality work and might wait until mid-December or so to start faster stuff. YMMV.

DPS - Nice week. Do you have a target marathon for next year already?

Flavio - Congrats on taking over that segment crown!

My biggest week of the year so far, but with only one hard workout. This will be a down week in mileage for me (last ten week avg 76mi/122km), with the easy days weighted towards the end of the week ahead of my race.
                    I took a short nap Sunday and woke up with a bit of tightness to the front of my left hip. No pain or anything, but my walking gait feels a bit constrained. Running felt just fine this morning, though - no hint of the tightness at all. Hopefully that tightness goes away soon.

Weekly Summary
                    Monday, Sep 23, 2019 thru Sunday, Sep 29, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                    Mon 15.1 7:44 8E, 3x 10min T 139 (71%) strava
                    Tue 10.5 8:24 Of course the lightning moves off after I commit to the treadmill - Yorkshire 132 (67%) strava
                    Wed 11.2 8:13 2 owls and lightning way off to the north 134 (68%) strava
                    Thu 16.1 8:13 1 owl and lightning to both the north and east 140 (71%) strava
                    Fri 10.1 8:24 2 shooting stars and just a sliver of the moon rising 139 (71%) strava
                    Sat 4.0 7:38 What is it about the XC course that makes me run faster than I should? 152 (78%) strava
                    Sun 20.7 8:30 2 hawks, 1 Mississippi kite, and the OCU XC team 140 (71%) strava
                      87.7 8:13      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - nice week, man you sure put the work in.  If the hip's not bothering you while running, I wouldn't get too worried at this stage.

JMac - I think I had some races to add:

11/9: The Agency Group 10,000m - goal 32:59 (BOTT)

11/23: Kerikeri Half Marathon - goal 1:12:48 (why not?!)

12/20: Bays Nights of 5's 5,000m - goal 15:54

I'm running the Auckland HM as well but that's just for fun this time.  If it's possible for me to run a race 'just for fun'.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - you know what's funny, I've been thinking how much less dead I am than previous cycles. I'm usually a zombie at this phase, but I feel great! A clear sign I need to up the mileage. Good luck on the M work tomorrow, it's going to be a struggle for both of us. Going to practice gel intake as well, but the thought of running 10 miles at M pace makes me very nervous. Edit - actually thinking about running it tonight, TDP of 117 tonight vs tomorrow's 137. My race forecast for Saturday is a TDP of ... get this ... 86 

Flavio - how does one dodge street dogs? Please include photos next time, you need to top Piwi's recent animal pictures.

DPS - As Mark alluded to, I ran a 10 miler last year. Just go out at LT pace and hold on for dear life. Although, do you even know what pace that is with your lack of speed work? Unfortunately I think you're going to be very rusty and it will be near impossible to pace well. Hopefully you get the negative split vs. the positive split version 

ETA: Mark - are the 10K and 5K track events?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Awesome that the mileage isn't wearing you down that badly! Hopefully that holds true as you build up a bit. 
                          I'd take either TDP you're looking at! Tonight isn't an option due to family (154 TDP at 9pm anyway), but tomorrow morning is forecasted at 148 TDP.
                          This is the first workout this cycle that I think I'm very much NOT looking forward to. And it's not the work, it's the heat/humidity. Like you, I may try a gel tomorrow as well, just for practice.
                          One last weather rant: The cool front that looked like it was going to come in later Friday has now pushed more towards early Sunday morning, so the forecasted temp and DP for my race are both up 4 degrees each right now. SUPER jealous of your race forecast!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

ETA: Mark - are the 10K and 5K track events?

Yup.  The 10k event is down at the Newtown Track in Wellington and the 5k is just up the road from me in Auckland at the track I normally train at (Millennium).  There's very few of these events in the calendar in NZ so you kind of have to take the opportunities and the 10k is perfectly placed 2 weeks prior to my next goal HM.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Keen- running Grandma's https://grandmasmarathon.com/our-races/grandmas-marathon/

Yeah. My plan is to go out at 5:55-5:50 pace. Happy with flat 1 hour...crazy pumped if I go sub 59:00

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mark the last time I went to Newtown track was when I was 14 to do regionals in discus. I lived in Upper Hutt at the time.

Keen I think I could probably race a 5k at about 3.45/km right now.

I watched the full Berlin Marathon replay. Bekele ran the 2nd half in something crazy like 1.00.16.

I like watching the contrasting running gaits elites have. Bekele is bouncy and heels coming up high to his butt while one of his Pacers had a much faster cadence and low fast leg swing. I sometimes try both especially when I'm fatigued as it can move the stresses around.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "