Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Did he win Marco ? That's amazing after his heatstroke at The Goldcoast Games.

Fourth a few seconds after the first with an impressive last part coming back from 10th. It was impressive after what happened and a  convincing performance

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - fair enough, I guess you’re thinking a Galen Rupp kind of elite. I’m thinking more of elite Kenyan runners who were placed in a guest house inside a favela during the Rio olympics, listening to gun shots over night and all. My point being, elites from rich countries are probably what you described, while elites from poor countries is that I described.

Well done at the race, it’s nice that you raced a bunch of faster athletes, I’m sure it’s gonna ignite your passion even more.

Piwi - please continue the jokes, with MickJogger retirement, I can’t be the only one making improper jokes here.

Everyone - I’m selling tickets for the Ice Skating showdown between Jmac and DPS in February. PM me for details.

Though to be honest I’m not sure the Kiwi immigration will let either of them in. What if they say “Please sir, walk a few meters ahead” ? How will their American brains react when exposed to the true measurement system for the very first time?

Marco - that’s.a tough workout. Nice raw speed in there.

James - I hope it’s nothing and you can recover the next week.

Jmac - awesome 10K, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt this time as you came in in potentially heavy legs.

Keen - great job with 2nd over all, I’m not sure about you but I find fighting for position a lot more awesome than fighting for time.

me - Awesome marathon race at the worlds yesterday, very entertaining to watch the Paraguayan runner go out like a rocket and then implode mid race. Tadese tried to run away mid race but unlike Ayala, the other runners respected him (former HM world record holder) so they went with him and ruined his plans. In the end 4 runners were biding their time running slower than they could to save for the final kick which allowed Callun to reach them with 2km to go. I found it hilarious that Callun decided to go to the front and push the pace, because I knew Desisa, Geremew and Kipruto would smoke him in a few seconds, which is exactly what happened. Over all a very brave effort by him though.

My week was full of easy running and somehow my Garmin now thinks my vo2max is 59. Next week I'll start a steady diet of 2 workouts per week and slow increase my mileage. Soon I'll run a 10 mile run which will probably make Jmac breathe easy 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DPS - congratz on the great race. Did you miss the target by 50 seconds?

my week is done

Monday, Sep 30, 2019 thru Sunday, Oct 06, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
          Mon 6.7 8:08 0:54 Morning Run 8 strides strava
          Tue 4.1 8:28 0:34 Morning Run strava
          Wed 5.4 7:53 0:42 2x200 R,2x1600 T/I,2x200 R strava
          Thu 6.2 8:08 0:50 Morning Run strava
          Sat 5.1 8:22 0:42 Morning Run strava
          Sun 2.0 6:07 0:12:24

NI & Ulster Road Relay Championships 

happy with a strong finish

strava
          Sun 5.0 9:03 0:45 warm up (20') and cool down (25') strava
            34.5 8:10 4:42    

From next week I will try to get in 8 weeks of 2 faster training with some actual speed in there. Up next a 10K on the 30th of November, and this time I would really like a sub 40 (although I have a ton of travel...

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Piwi - please continue the jokes, with MickJogger retirement, I can’t be the only one making improper jokes here.

Flavio no I cant continue with sexist inappropriate jokes and I am appalled and dismayed that you even ask 

Marco oh bugger for Callum but what an effort. Good luck for sub 40. I havent run sub 40 in over 2 years but I might have a crack on a run this week.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

My Week:

Mon 6 miles on the tread mill

Tues 2 WU/ 3x1 miles at 10k pace /2 Miles CD

Wed 6 easy

Thurs 5 easy

Fri  4 easy 1 mile at 10k pace

Sat 4 Easy

Sunday mile warm up.

Race Recap for Medtronic Twin cities 10 mile... 7 AM Start 48 degrees F

60:52

Mile 1: Downhill and as I crossed the 1 mile my watch flashed 5:22.  So I went into panic mode.  I thought I was way to fast and my head went crazy.  I thought I was not going that fast, but since it was mostly down hill I thought maybe I was judging my pace wrong.  Turns out that i went 5:48 and it was just warning me that I was at a faster pace so it was a pace warning not my split.  I didn't realize this until after the race.

2-4:  So I slammed on the break hard and slow it way down.  Mile 3 is a pretty big up hill. (6:13, 6:10)  I again thinking I'm way ahead of pace but feeling good but my mind is still going 500 mph.  As I came through 3, I realize that I'm behind pace and try to pick up but i'm just starting up the long gradual hill and run 5:50 4th mile.

5-8: 6:04, 6:17, 6:04, 6:01, Gradual up hill.  Now we are on the combined marathon/10 mile route...and i'm super confused because we are crossing 5 mile, but then another 5 mile flag .2 miles later (it was a bit windy so I had a hard time reading the flags so I don't know if my mile splits are the first set or second set of flags)  So I don't know if i'm on pace or off pace.

9-10 6:08 5:49 are gradual down hill with a fast down hill the last 200-100 meters and a flat final 100m.  Last mile I dropped the mile i was running with and basically ran the last mile alone until I ran down a few people in the end.

Things I learned.  Trust my feeling more than my watch.  This is the first 10 mile race I have run and being that it is a local race i need to make sure to run the race course ahead of time at least once.  If I need to slow i need to do it gradually and keep the race pace moving.  Once I slowed way down to 6:10 plus I had a hard time going from what felt like a fast jog back into racing mode.  I need more pacing work.  After being away from racing for 3-4 years, I really need to spend lots of time doing some pace work so my internal clock comes back.  I used to be able to it a pace dead on 5:30, 6:25, 5:50 whatever.  I need to get on a track and do some quarters to get that back before racing season in the spring.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio- yeah you're probably right about rich v. poor countries.  I know when the Robertson twins moved to Kenya they were definitely doing things the same way the locals did i.e. not exactly luxurious conditions.

Marco - nice week and hopefully that sub-40 is beckoning.

Piwi - Malcolm Hicks and Caden Shields both ran well in the marathon.  Times were not super-quick (I think Hicks was 2:17 and Shields was 2:18) but they worked their way through the field from being placed in the mid-50's at the halfway mark to the mid-30's by the end.

DPS - nice job in the race even if the result wasn't quite what you hoped for.  Running on feel is important but for something like a 10-miler which is a relatively uncommon distance, it would've been hard to figure out how it should feel.  'A bit quicker than HM pace' is about all I can think of! (note - I have never raced a 10-miler)

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

This race is all either up hill or down hill so trying to run an even 6 min pace was hard cause 6 min always feels different each mile.  No real flat section.

Also i'm going on vaction on Tudesday to next tuesday so I will not be on the boards for a while.  Just uploading runs.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

This race is all either up hill or down hill so trying to run an even 6 min pace was hard cause 6 min always feels different each mile.  No real flat section.

Also i'm going on vaction on Tudesday to next tuesday so I will not be on the boards for a while.  Just uploading runs.

Ugh, yeah that's tough.  Hard to hit a rhythm too.  Anyways have a good vacation!!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DP still a fast time in my books and you haven't been back at it long.

Mark thanks I was wondering who our Kiwi athletes in it were. Was very hot so lots of casualties.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

DP still a fast time in my books and you haven't been back at it long.

Mark thanks I was wondering who our Kiwi athletes in it were. Was very hot so lots of casualties.

There's been some awesome stuff on the track at World Champs, and the shot put final yesterday was unbelievable - but the marathon has been terrible.  I can see why so many athletes chose to skip it.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

paul2432

DPS and JMac - great racing.

I had a decent week. Over 50 miles for the first time in a couple months.

Monday - 5 miles on roads.  Was supposed to be TM but got to the gym and discovered I had two right shoes

Tuesday - 1.5 miles easy, TM.  Wife called and asked if I could come home.

Wednesday - 8 roads

Thursday- 9 roads with 4 x 1 mile (3 min jogs)

Friday - 4 easy TM, last mile walking at incline

Saturday - 13 trails

Sunday - 10 roads

Hi,

I have been reading Jack Daniel's book for a while now and decided to use it for the next cycle of training. One thing I am trying to figure out is cadence. I had a few discussions over the years, but cannot quite understand how to change it.

my natural cadence seems to be 165-175 steps per minute. when I go slow I use to be around 155/160, but I am managing to keep it up to 165. when I go faster I may get to 180 (but generally i don't). JD suggests to stay at 180 (at any pace I guess... is this true?)

JD seems also to suggest to use the easy periods to increase cadence. However, everytime I try I find myself going faster. Should I go faster trying to control the power I release on the ground (limiting Heart beat) or how do I increase cadence? Should I stay where I am (since it didn't get me injured in 6 years and I have been increasing training and results)?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DPS - I’m not sure it’s completely possible to have an internal clock, especially when you have to vary the pace so much within a race. If I were you I’d just write it of as a difficult to execute race and carry on.

It was an awesome effort, you’ve got pretty close to 1 hour even though the elevation profile was less than ideal.

Also if I’m not mistaken this was your very first race going out hard in a while. Getting pacing right sometimes take a few races to fine tune it.

Enjoy your vacations!

Mark - I loved the action on this champs, especially the fact that there was so much front running. I love it when they take it out hard from the start and it’s a war of attrition to the end. I'm especially impressed with Cheptegei because on the 10000 you stay out there a lot longer and there was always a risk of one of the Ethiopians hang around barely and out sprint him in the end. Mo would probably do that if he were running that race, just like he did 2 years prior. It's a pity Jacob Kiplimo was not there to help push the pace but thankfully Kwemoi and Rhonex Kipruto were.

Marco - here’s my advice. We’re all wired differently with different back strength which impacts stride length and different neurological abilities which impacts steps per minute.

You’ll probably have a higher cadence when sprinting as compared to when jogging.

Forget about that, just do your thing.

Focus on running and be diligent about strength work, especially the core

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Killer job on the 10k, man! Well done.

Flavio - I'll take at least one ticket! Any discounts for kids 8 and under??

Marco - From your workouts I'd certainly think you could go sub40 on a decent course.
                                I wouldn't worry too much about cadence - I find that it varies quite a bit by pace/effort. For instance, I'm usually around 172spm on easy, hilly runs, but 178-184 for races (faster cadence for shorter races). If I recall, DWave (hi, if you're lurking!) will hit ~212spm during mile races. We're all different - I think I'm nearly a foot taller than DWave is, so just from leg length she'll naturally have a faster cadence at any pace than someone my height.
                                On the subject of Daniels, I do really like his breathing pattern techniques. They took a solid couple weeks to really internalize for me, but since then I find that I naturally fall into those patterns as my effort changes.

DPS - Great job on the 10 miler, even if it wasn't quite the time you were looking for.

My half went pretty well this weekend. It was warmer than I wanted (~72) and was slightly foggy before sunrise ahead of the race, but even so conditions were FAR better than they were last year. Went out right on target effort (on the HM side of between M and HM effort for the first 10mi) and had a guy blow my me in the first 1/8 mi. I figured the big hills outside of town would end up bringing him back to me. He was 20 seconds ahead at the first mile, and a minute ahead at mile 6.5. Mile 10 put us back on a road leading straight into town (most of the race is in the country outside of the town) and against the wind. I picked up the effort all I could and watched the distance between us shrink, but ran out of real estate in which to catch the guy. Felt like I was well above T effor the last 1.5-2 miles. Ended up 18 seconds behind him, 2nd OA yet again at this race. Aside from once again not winning this one, I'm pretty happy with the effort. This was just 9 seconds slower than my best time on this course - but the temperature was about 37 degrees warmer than it was during my fastest year (it was held at the end of October then).

I had a lot of fun trying to chase down the winner, and chatted with him a bit afterwards. He told me he really wanted to ease up some but that every time he looked over his shoulder I was a bit closer so he had to keep it up. At least I was able to keep the guy honest!

On to the DRC half! Extrapolating some (accounting for differences in temperature and elevation changes) I'm considering going out at ~1:25 pace. Thoughts, everyone?

Monday, Sep 30, 2019 thru Sunday, Oct 06, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                                Mon 10.5 8:32 1 exploding meteor and 1 rabbit 140 (74%) strava
                                Tue 15.6 7:46 6E, 8M 149 (78%) strava
                                Wed 8.1 8:30 1 rabbit 133 (70%) strava
                                Thu 7.1 8:12 This was ridiculous - Watopia 126 (66%) strava
                                Fri 6.3 8:13 Finally the young, fast(ish) guy in the age group again. 130 (68%) strava
                                Sat 1.3 7:45 Warming up 139 (73%) strava
                                Sat 13.1 6:48 Wurst Race Half - 1:29:18 chip 165 (87%) strava
                                Sat 1.0 8:33 I need to find an old German woman to teach me to dance a polka 141 (74%) strava
                                Sun 2.2 8:13 Crisp 123 (65%) strava
                                  65.2 7:55

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: