Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - I agree it feels easy to come back quickly, but I guess my obvious counter would be if you think you can come back so quickly, why do you keep getting injured? Not trying to be mean, but as someone has battled so many damn injuries, it took me a long time to learn a lot of this.

This is a fair point.  I would say that it's rare for me to recover from an injury and slowly build back up with no issues (which I've done this time) then have the same injury recur.  Generally it will be some months down the track and be completely different.  The key for me is listening to the warning signs and taking a day off - if I'd done that this time I may have missed a couple of runs instead of 3 months.

I'm not ignoring your advice though!  I will stop the second I have a concern even if it means a long walk home, although when my confidence is down I try and stick to loops which don't take me too far from home.  I only went back to some out and backs in the last week.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Not getting injured in the same place isn’t a sign that you’re coming back at the right speed. Injuries are often a “when it rains, it pours” type of situation, mainly because it just means you are running too much/hard for what your body is ready for. During my Boston build up when I was pushing workouts way too hard early on, I had posterior tibial tendinitis, then injured my calf 3 weeks after coming back from that (after 10 days off), then injured my knee 2 weeks after my calf. It wasn’t until I said “fuck the quality” and moved to just straight easy running that everything calmed down and I was able to come back.

I was going to do some research on your Strava to see what to recommend, but you grouped your bike and runs together so I’m not sure how long it has been since you ran 50KM in a week, and then when was the last time you put together a month of 300KM.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I mean after I come back, I've never had an injury on top of another one - the next one comes months down the track.

I'm convinced that I'm causing them by doing my "easy" runs too fast which I'm really trying to address this time.

My last decent week was the first week of June.

2024 Races:

Its always damn hard coming back from an injury as you are frothing to get back to where you were.

This time last year I couldn't shake a calf injury. I just kept coming back too soon.

Jmac your fitness is top notch right now.

I've picked up a damn cold. Sore throat and coughing up muck. Today is my first day not running because of it. Hopefully it passes quickly.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

I've picked up a damn cold. Sore throat and coughing up muck. Today is my first day not running because of it. Hopefully it passes quickly.

Me too.  Doesn't seem too bad so hopefully I'll be OK by the weekend.  I got one almost exactly the same time last year!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

EVERYONE

Go to translate.google.com and type kipchoge, then translate swahilli to English. You're welcome for the chuckle. 

Piwi - I LOLed hard when you said Salazar was Brazilian, it would really make sense.

We have an expression here “Jeitinho brasileiro” which roughly translates to “the Brazilian way”. It mostly implies that a Brazilian will find a way to get something done regardless of the moral compass.

Sometimes for the good, sometimes not.

Jmac - I think they’re called ice skating aids in English, here’s a picture of support penguins. I'm sure I looked just as cute while holding onto them.

support penguin

Mark - you have a super busy schedule of races, that’s incredible.

So, remember when I mentioned that it seemed I was getting much worse colds than you guys?

A couple months ago I finally, and reluctantly took the flu vaccine, it seems to have done the trick so far (knock on wood)

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Everybody up here in the states getting sick too. How does this stuff travel the world like this? I feel like this happened in the spring too when we were all sick.

Flavio - why do you say "reluctantly" with the vaccine? Reminds me I have to get mine too. Also I love everything about Brazil (from a distance).

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Noticed the new quote in your sig line. Nice. Get better.

Steve - Best of luck keeping the injuries at bay since you're on your way back to running.

Flavio - "the Brazilian way" sounds a bit like "Chicago Politics" in the US. Also, that was worthy of a chuckle.

Ice skating - DD1 skated for a while when she was 4, but liked soccer better so we've stuck with that. My brother took a nasty fall while skating in Canada (messed up his pelvic alignment for quite a while), and gave me skates he had bought at a pawn shop so he wouldn't risk injuring himself again. I don't think I've used them once.

Flu shot - Need to get one, and the sooner the better with races coming up.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - for some reason the picture only loaded now for me. Amazing. I would pay top $ for watching you on those.

Keen - I added Dallas to the table. I made your goal 2:59 because of, you know, BOTT

Me - I hit 2K miles last night for the year (as usual, my Strava is way short of that due to terrible GPS in NYC). This is by far the earliest I've hit 2K miles. Here is where I hit it the past few years:

2018: December 12

2017 and prior: Never...

So although some people aren't impressed (looking at you Keen), I'm very happy with my year so far!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I couldn't help myself! 2,000 is a big mark, particularly this early. I'm not too far past it myself. How do you accurately track mileage with GPS being so wonky in NYC? Sounds like a good use case for Stryd.
                      2:59 is appropriate. I think 1:25 for the half next month is as well.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - From my apartment to my starting point in CP is exactly 1.0 mile. Then, within CP, there are loops that are almost exactly 4, 5, or 6. So I always know how far I ran. My Strava distances are anywhere from 0.10 to 0.40 off, depending upon the run I'm doing. I just keep track of everything in Excel (nerds unite!)

I also don't count strides in my Strava runs (I'll just pause my watch), but I do include it in total miles run because if anything it's some of the hardest miles you run.

Marky_Mark_17

JMac/Keen - I saw JMac's post on Strava.  It looks like I'll tick over 2k by the end of the weekend all going to plan.  Normally this happened around mid-late November.  I think I was actually ahead of JMac until relatively recently purely because my mileage has been fairly consistent throughout the year and his has been a bit more variable around injuries and marathons.

Flu shot - I've gotten this for free through work the last few years.  The flu virus mutates quite quickly so there's always a risk that a new strain emerges after you've got the vaccination, but there's certainly no harm in getting the shot.

Flavio - those penguins are gold.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I've always followed the Kiwi mantra " she'll be right " and never had the flu jab.

Problem with been self employed you still have to work when you are sick.

Flavio I can skate either. Maybe it's our tight ankles 

I saw what could be Kipchoges shoes for sub 2 on letsrun. If its accurate they are like next % on steroids with 3 carbon plates.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

The flu vaccine only covers about 25% of flu viruses - definitely worth getting but these viruses are way ahead of us...thankfully I've only had the flu once, generally get a heavy cold once a year or so, but since I started taking zinc I find the severity of colds is much less (and there's actual science behind that).

Hope everyone gets better asap, and please don't breathe when posting in this thread.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

The flu vaccine only covers about 25% of flu viruses - definitely worth getting but these viruses are way ahead of us...thankfully I've only had the flu once, generally get a heavy cold once a year or so, but since I started taking zinc I find the severity of colds is much less (and there's actual science behind that).

I'm interested in this zinc angle - can you explain a bit more?

I've always suffered from colds (2-3 per year).  It seems to have been better this year since I started adding a wholefood powder supplement in to my diet (I've still gotten colds but they've been shorter and less severe).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"