Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Mark go get that course record 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I've run multiple halfs as a non race. Often, I use them as a prep for a marathon, so I'm not sure that'll work in your case. But, I'd say some of my favorite halfs have been running 11 at MP and the final 2.1 at threshold. It's an almost impossible workout not in a race, but feasible in race conditions. Still, long tempos, which this would effectively be, are always worth it.

At the end of the day, you need to look at how this fits into your training cycle. The biggest problem with actually racing it is you need to both mini taper into it and sacrifice workouts for the 5-7 days after. I don't see what the point of that is for someone in your position.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I've run multiple halfs as a non race. Often, I use them as a prep for a marathon, so I'm not sure that'll work in your case. But, I'd say some of my favorite halfs have been running 11 at MP and the final 2.1 at threshold. It's an almost impossible workout not in a race, but feasible in race conditions. Still, long tempos, which this would effectively be, are always worth it.

At the end of the day, you need to look at how this fits into your training cycle. The biggest problem with actually racing it is you need to both mini taper into it and sacrifice workouts for the 5-7 days after. I don't see what the point of that is for someone in your position.

JMac, thanks that's a great idea.  I haven't done any long tempo workouts in ages.  This would be a perfect opportunity to go for a good tempo at something like MP and maybe blast the last few km's (which coincidentally are totally flat).  I'm not training for a marathon (yet) but it would at least give me something to benchmark MP off.  If I want to get sub-2:40 that's in the mid-3:40's/km or just over 6:00/mile pace.

It won't be full race effort so it won't trash next week's training either.  Hell maybe I'll even wear the Vaporflies just to stop my calves getting wrecked too!  And it kind of aligns with Watson's suggestion of trying to kick it up a gear later in the race.

Paul - nice week.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Dew point? Are we abandoning Kiwi point as an official unit of measurement? I agree with you regarding Kipchoge and the whole sub-2 thing. You week looks good, too. Especially Tuesday, which just looks painful.

Piwi - Nice TT! I have no issue with it being listed in your sig line (see mine!)

Watson - Nice week. Cannon Point looks brutal - at least there were switchbacks on the way down.
          I see your point regarding Bekele, but what would Kipchoge do if he ran races shorter than the marathon? Those records may only be safe because Kipchoge hasn't decided to do anything about them.

Mark - Good week, even with a cold. Recovering well? Also, congrats on 2k for the year.
          I'd say do something between cruising it or using it as an M-effort workout (adjusting the rest of your coming week accordingly).

DPS - I also love waffles!

Marco - Pretty solid week considering the travel and toe issues. Get that taken care of!

Women's WR - On one hand I'm really excited about this. But on the other, the previous record was quite likely doped. And to completely shatter a doped record that has been untouchable for so long...

Missed the whole sub-2 thing, but maybe I can find the replay on youtube.

43 straight days of running, though thanks to easy 2-2.5 mile runs on Sunday rather than complete rest. 2,405 miles year-to-date. 5000m solo TT again today. I suck at mid-run math, but it ended up working out in my favor.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Oct 07, 2019 thru Sunday, Oct 13, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
          Mon 10.5 8:13 2 owls, 1 coyote, 1 quail, and 1 satellite 128 (67%) strava
          Mon 3.2 8:27 Now for miles - Innsbruck 127 (67%) strava
          Tue 10.5 8:18 1 rabbit and 1 duck 130 (68%) strava
          Tue 3.2 8:26 Rack 'em up - NYC 127 (67%) strava
          Wed 14.7 7:52 7x 1k 149 (78%) strava
          Thu 10.5 8:32 1 coyote twice and 1 meteor 132 (69%) strava
          Fri 10.5 8:22 One pair of glowing eyes 126 (66%) strava
          Sat 18.3 8:35 22 geese, 3 owls, and 1 coyote 124 (65%) strava
          Sun 2.5 8:21 Loosening things up, plus a sprint at the end 125 (66%) strava
            83.9 8:19      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Keen great job on the 5000m.

My legs felt great after my 10k Sunday but DOMS has set in on my calves now. Still have a cold but feel ok.

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - another very nice week (you are a machine).

Me - So unfortunately my cold has morphed into a sinus infection.  I used to get this sometimes but it hasn't happened in a few years.  I'm on antibiotics which will sort it out.  Running is OK but I need to keep it relatively easy for the next few days so I may well just DNS the race on Sunday.  It's not a goal race and the priority is smashing it at Kerikeri HM which is fortunately still five and a half weeks away.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks, guys!

Mark - Bummer about the sinus infection, that's something I know a lot about since I usually average 2-3 per fall/winter. Antibiotics always clear it up, but I can't run on them. It's like someone flipped a switch and all my endurance is gone  so long as they're in my system- hopefully they don't affect you like that.

Polling the collective sub 3:20 & sub 90 threads for advice:

My formerly "A" goal race for the fall is 20 days away (DRC Half), while I've got 62 days until the new "A" race (Dallas full). Going sub-3 is definitely the goal at Dallas (and now the bigger goal), while I'd still like to go for ~1:25 for the half. Any suggestions on how to handle taper (or lack thereof) for the half to give me a solid shot at hitting that 85 minute goal without it interfering with or detracting too much from the big marathon goal?
                My training log here is open, but I can give whatever other info anyone might want to help.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - Bummer about the sinus infection, that's something I know a lot about since I usually average 2-3 per fall/winter. Antibiotics always clear it up, but I can't run on them. It's like someone flipped a switch and all my endurance is gone  so long as they're in my system- hopefully they don't affect you like that.

Polling the collective sub 3:20 & sub 90 threads for advice:

My formerly "A" goal race for the fall is 20 days away (DRC Half), while I've got 62 days until the new "A" race (Dallas full). Going sub-3 is definitely the goal at Dallas (and now the bigger goal), while I'd still like to go for ~1:25 for the half. Any suggestions on how to handle taper (or lack thereof) for the half to give me a solid shot at hitting that 85 minute goal without it interfering with or detracting too much from the big marathon goal?
                  My training log here is open, but I can give whatever other info anyone might want to help.

To be honest, my legs have been feeling pretty sluggish the last couple of days anyway so it was either 'run on sluggish legs while body is fighting infection' or 'run on sluggish legs due to antibiotics'.  I had forgotten how miserable sinusitis can be though so I'll happily take the drugs as they've always done the trick for me in the past even if it means an easy week and likely a DNS on Sunday.  I'm just grateful it happened now and not in a month's time!

Re your race, I'll defer to the JMac's of this world who have a lot more experience managing their way around HM's within a marathon training schedule.  I wouldn't think a taper week and a recovery week would put too much of a dent in your marathon training given the sheer volume of work you've already got behind you, but I'm not a marathon expert.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Marco - that 5x1k was super fast, 18:45 5k pace. Hope the toe heals quickly.

Piwi - I think you’re faster this year than last year, IIRC you’ve been a lot more consistent this year.

Paul - that’s a nice mileage so far and a very nice week, what’s your plan to ramp up mileage going forward?

Keen - very nice time trial, finally something closer to your fitness. I noticed you had very even splits which usually is a sign you left nothing on the track.

I think you can go all out in the half then take the next week lighter (no fast stuff). You have a lot of accumulated fitness with your big weeks.

Re: Bekele vs Kipchoge, Kipchoge is probably too old to attack anything on the track right now. When he could do something about it (low 20s), he won once (2003 WC) but lost to Bekele pretty much every other race. The thing with Bekele is that he's been inconsistent for a long time now due to injuries/lack of commitment.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - sorry to hear about the cold. That sounds more like what I head earlier this year, though mine was more focused on the throat. Maybe take an extra day off here and there to help you heal. It won't matter in the long term but it can be very useful now. Especially since you have such a young kid and sleeping extra might not be an option.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

Paul - good week.

Keen - great week.  I would just go with a mini taper.  Assuming a Sunday race.  Thursday do a work out, Friday 3-5 miles easy, Saturday 0-3 miles (depending on whether you want/like the day before off).

Mark - maybe don't run for a couple of days?  I suspect it would make you recover from your infection faster.  For me, when sick (which isn't often), running just makes it worse.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mark oh that sucks. You have had a good illness free run though if I remember right ? Mine is dragging too. I'm fairly unenergetic and a bit blah. I'm not sure how I ran that 10k.

Flavio I looked back at last year and there were alot of 20km weeks with a couple of 6 weeks at 80kms so yes very up and down. I will try and make 50kms my low mark now.

Marky_Mark_17

Yeah, mostly it's just been colds and the odd spot of food poisoning which might've cost me a day or two of training but no more.  The only major illness in the last couple of years was that weird mystery virus I had in late March where I felt totally off for about a week and bailed on a few workouts.

I tend to get very sh!tty when I'm not active, which in turn makes me feel worse purely because I'm in a negative headspace.  So the plan is to keep it easy, and back off altogether if I'm not improving or am feeling rubbish.  The science on whether running helps or hinders recovery from sinusitis actually seems very mixed (certainly not a good idea if it's in your chest, but the usual above the neck rule seems to apply subject of course to whether or not you actually feel like running at all).

Keen, interestingly there was a study done that suggested a short course of antibiotics had no detrimental effects on a range of actual and perceived fitness and performance measures for runners and the suggestion advanced was that the underlying infection was still responsible for the fatigue and poor performance (the exception is fluoroquinolones which can do some really unpleasant tendon damage, my doctor was all over that).

Piwi - keep an eye on it and if you think things are getting worse, go see your doctor.  The telltale sign for me was when my resting heart rate kicked up when I first got the cold (this is normal) and then kicked up further a few days later (this must've been the start of the infection).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - given I’m about to do the same thing next weekend with my half, here is how I usually do it. The idea is you mini-taper into it and use the week as a “down” week in the cycle. This plan will get me to 60 miles when I’ve been running 75, so it’s a perfect 80% cut back week.

1) Run a big long run of all easy miles 8 days before the half, so the prior Saturday. I will be doing 22 this Saturday.

2) Take Sunday off, or probably more likely in your case, just something easy like 6-7 miles

3) Monday should be a normal easy day of 10-11 mile

4) Big Q day on Tuesday. This will give you 4 full days of easy between the workout and the race, which is more than enough.

5) 7 mile recovery day Wednesday

6) Easy day of 8-9 miles on Thursday

7) Friday - off

8) Saturday - 5 miles

This “taper” is both much shorter than normal, as I still have a big Q day during the week, and not as much, since I would only run a total of 14 miles the 4 days prior to a marathon, whereas this is 21.

On the back end, I’d recommend Monday completely off, then Tues-Wed are both easy days. If you can somehow muster it, a quality day on Thursday is okay, although I usually pick something with not as much effort. So, for this half, I’ll do 8E + 3T + 8E. Still a lot of miles, but only 3T, which my legs should handle okay.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

FYI - I read DW's plan on sub 3:20

We have apparently somewhat similar plans. The only difference may be that big quality day I do on Tuesday for a Sunday race, where she might not recommend that. Of course, it all depends upon how quickly you can recover from Q days. If you feel that you cannot recover from that by Sunday, then don't run it. I think the goal race is the marathon though, and I'd rather take the small chance that the Q day impacts my half than to just abandon the workout all together as I would for a goal half. At this point in your training, you should be able to recover from a Q day within 2-3 days, so 4 days is generous.