Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Delurking - here's what I'm doing before my tune-up half this weekend for comparison.  It's worth noting that I have to build in more recovery than others; hence my Tuesday quality day is very restrained.  Others who recover better than I do can do more on Tuesday.

Weekend before - 21 progressing down to marathon effort on Saturday; Sunday a recovery day with just 60 minutes in the pool.

M: 9 miles of very easy running plus another 30 minutes pool-running.

T: 11 miles, including a restrained workout of 2x1600, 2x800.  Did the 1600s at around 10 mile race effort; the 800s a bit harder than that.  Skipped the 400s at the end that everyone else was doing.

W: will do 7 miles very easy

Th: around 70 minutes in the pool.

F: 6-7 miles, including 1 mile at 10 mile-half marathon effort

Sa: 1-2 miles very easy.

Su: Half-Marathon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Oh, good! You (JMac and DWave) are both here.

Your suggestions/plans look pretty similar, and I should be able to adjust that to fit relative to my training and recovery. Thanks so much to the both of you!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

paul2432

Paul - that’s a nice mileage so far and a very nice week, what’s your plan to ramp up mileage going forward?

Flavio - I'd like to get into the mid-60s for a few weeks before my HM on December 8th.  I'll probably add a few miles each week. I'm somewhat improvising for this training cycle.  It would be nice to hit 3000 miles for the year.

In North Carolina this week...got here yesterday evening back on Saturday, and back in the US again on Tuesday....

Toe Infection sorted (the doctor stick a syringe in it and I saw hello for 5 minutes... guess marathon training and JD turned useful here )

Running in the gym cause it's too dark before or after work.

Today 7x800 with 400 jog (did it in mile, 0.5 w/ 0.25 jog at 3' with 2:40 between) total of 8 miles. Happy with it

Hope to manage the week although travelling

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Marco that sounds painful!

Intense travel for you again.

I'm struggling with my cold. Getting in a daily run but I can't attempt any workouts as my energy levels are low.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Unfortunately I'm on the shelf with a foot injury. It may be cuboid syndrome so I'm going to my osteo today or tomorrow, but it may also be just plain tendonitis, which would suck. Makes no sense because it popped up 1) after a day off and 2) felt a sharp pain when putting on my shoes to walk my dog. Bad enough that I could barely walk yesterday, slightly better this morning. It's pretty late into marathon training at this point so I hope this is just a few days and not something worse.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Ouch, what's going on with this board!!!

Piwi - get that checked out

Mark - maybe make the race fun running 18k warmup then 3 all out just so you can feel good afterwards?

Jmac - duh, damn it injuries, hopefully a few days off will sort it out

me - Plantar fasciiitis flared up again this week. I was cured of this for over 2 years. I stopped going to the gym a few weeks back and slacked on doing the strength work (and foam rolling) and now I'm paying the price.

I can still run on it and I'm foam rolling twice a day. tomorrow is a day off. I hope that will be enough. 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

What is with everyone on the board getting injured all of a sudden??? *non-superstitious person knocks on wood* Thankfully no issues here, just trying to rack up the miles. Pacing the 7 min/mi group at a 15k this weekend - should be fun and will serve as a not-quite M pace workout.
                  I just realized that I'm not going to be able to piggy-back off the local running club's group run the weekend-after-next to get a 20-or-so miler in - DD1 has a stay-and-play soccer tournament that weekend. I'm now trying to find out whether or not there are any running club runs in Tulsa I could be a part of, or I'll be running solo in Tulsa (hopefully not the hotel treadmill).

Get better, everyone!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - doh!!!!! Hope it comes right quickly.

Piwi - hope you're feeling better.  Half of our office seems to be sick at the moment!!

Flavio - also doh!!!! Hope it is under control.

Me - well this sinus infection seems to be slowly improving now on the antibiotics.  Easy running has been fine although the legs are a bit heavy.  I'm going to DNS on Sunday and try and sell my entry to someone else.  Definitely a tough call when I've run this race every year since I started running but it's not the goal race!  Couple of easy runs this weekend, then I'll finish the antibiotics on Monday, and hopefully back to something like normal next week.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Flavio hope the PF is minor. I sometimes feel a little burn from the skin under my foot when Im running. Ive never had PF though.

I will wait 1 more week with the cold. As Im not a highly tuned athlete on the racing circuit like you guys, so it doesnt matter so much 

Jmac I had a cuboid injury a few years back. Top outer edge of my foot from memory. Dont worry you will be sweet in a couple of months 

Mark good decision, you wont be at your best and you need to clear this bug out for future races.

Keen good luck on the pacing, that should be loads of fun.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Looks like it's peroneal tendinopathy. I have a treatment regimen set up for this, but we'll see.

I had contemplated whether I need to change my heel-toe offset, as my latest injuries have seem to be calf and lower. This one solidifies it. I think the best approach is to mix it up: some shoes with low heel-toe (I'll stick with that for my trainers), and then higher drop for my tempo/race shoes. Just bought myself a pair of zoom fly to see how I like it as a tempo shoe.

I hate the first few days of injury. You never know if it's just going to be a few more days, or it's going to be weeks. Ugh!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac oh bugger but at least you know what you have now.

6mm is about as low as I can go without serious tension in my PF, calves, and Achilles.

Still low energy for me while I have this cold. I've run over 40 miles this week and will likely take a rest day sunday.

Did a 20km run today which is my longest for a while.

Marky_Mark_17

Just to echo what Keen and Flavio said, it would be great if everyone can stop getting injured or sick!

I did 15km easy this morning.  Looks like the antibiotics are doing their job and the legs felt stronger too.

JMac - what's the prognosis on likely recovery time?  That's so frustrating given where you were at (also strange given it occurred totally innocuously).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

At least for today my niggles have moved up the chain. A lot of tendernes on the outside left soleus, lower left hamstring and left piriformis.

Here hopes that some foam rolling will slowly take that out. I also hope the niggles continue where they are as anything on the plantar fascia can be disabling where as something up the chain I can work with.

In other news, it seems my career as a foodie has come to an end. With recent stomach issues I can no longer eat anything spicy, not even garlic. Nothing with too much oil in it, nothing sparkling (beer, soda, champagne). Strong spirits aren't good either as I turn purple and have a burning sensation all over my face. No black tea nor any stimulant beverage at all.

At least Polenta and roasted chicken are the only things left on the menu. And peanut butter sandwich. I'll live.

Mark - So did you DNS that race? I keep wondering if you still went and run it to satisfy your OCD 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - as I just learned the hard way, keep at it with the niggles! I got lazy with foam rolling after my niggles didn’t go away and it cost me.

Mark - I was shocked I was able to run last night, as my foot felt a lot better after going to my PT. It’s sore again this morning, but I think this is going to be my future for now: sore when waking up, but may warm up as the day goes on. All tendinopothy based on my experience is a multi-week issue. You can get it to calm down enough to run (as I am shocked I’ve been able to do in a few days), but it’s going to be on the precipice of inflaming again for the next few weeks.

Big thing is that I keep up with all the exercises the PT gave me and tape religiously. It’s amazing how good of a job KT tape does. Thought it was snake oil when I first heard about it, but it has helped so many injuries over the past 12 months.

I think this all stemmed from a very tight lower calf muscle I’ve had for 1.5 months. I’ve tried stretching it, but gave up recently of really working at it. My PT believes that’s causing a lot of strain on the surrounding muscles, which eventually led to this peroneous tendon to give in. Going to be religious with foam rolling it now.

Everyone - FEEL BETTER! Hopefully we all look back at this in a couple of weeks as just a rough patch we all got through.