Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I agree. I just think when my latest race indicates a time 6 seconds slower per KM, it’s asking a lot to go out at that pace. Have you ever gone out at a very aggressive pace like that given your progression? Just trying to understand how realistic this is.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I agree. I just think when my latest race indicates a time 6 seconds slower per KM, it’s asking a lot to go out at that pace. Have you ever gone out at a very aggressive pace like that given your progression? Just trying to understand how realistic this is.

When I ran Dunedin HM, it ended up being ~3:27/km average - I'd run a 10km race a week earlier which was at 3:23/km (but admittedly that was a very windy day).  For the HM, I probably went out slightly hot in relative terms - first 5km were 3:23, 4:05 (very steep hill), 3:27 (trails and some downhill), 3:20 (downhill which was ideal for fast running), 3:28 (hitting a groove about now).  Over the last little while, my 10km time has tended to be 7-10 secs/km faster than my HM time.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

paul2432

JMac - I am on Strava.  Just started following you.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - You continuing to feel better?

Flavio - Hate to hear about the foodie career being over. At least there's PB&Js! Curious to hear more about this, if you don't mind.
          Also interested in hearing more about your "Low drop shoes is not the cause, it’s a symptom" theory.

JMac - How's the foot feeling now? Excellent that you're still able to loosen things up and run.
          I'm wary about going for a race time just because it's a round number (the irony of this coming from a guy just wanting sub-3 is not lost on me). That is a pretty big leap in pace as you said, and for me I don't know that (given similar course profiles and weather) that a mini-taper would be enough to give me that kind of boost. I'd probably going out at PR pace, then reassess no later than halfway and pick it up from there. That doesn't quite fit with BOTT, though.

Mark - When you sold the race entry, did that other person run under your name or did the race do a transfer/name change? It's quite rare in the US for races to allow entries to be sold or transferred.
          Good that you managed to get past that illness by just subbing easy runs.

James - Hate to hear that you're on the injury/niggle wagon as well.

DPS - Nice week, especially for just the first week in base building.

RWOL import tool broken?
          82.86mi last week, though without a single run over HM distance. Did a solo 5000m on the track (new PR!) Monday to help verify intensities/paces for training and paced the Hot Chocolate 15k in town at almost M-effort Sunday. It seems like the past week was really down on quality, so I'm trying to make that up this week. Feels a bit odd that I'm disappointed in an 80+ mile week.

Pacing was fun, though I was rarely running next to anyone. One woman ran with me for a mile or so before passing me, and another woman breezed past just afterwards doing 6:30/mi or so. Caught up to the first woman and one jr high kid who went out too fast around mile 7-8. Came in ~15 seconds under goal time, which I was psyched about. Had distance/pace coming from Stryd for this one. I ran the tangents as best I could, and distance from Stryd was off by .08 miles, or about .85% from the certified distance, so I was definitely impressed with that.

I picked up a pair of VF 4% FKs over the summer when I found a one-off sale that just happened to have my size remaining. I tried them on for size when they showed up and put them back on the shelf and didn't touch them before putting them on for the pacing gig Sunday (I figured I'd test them there, then wear them for my half and full races coming up). OH MY GOODNESS. Spring shoes is right, compared to what I'm used to. They feel super-weird to walk in and to run in to start - could definitely feel the action of the plate. After the first mile or so I got used to them and they didn't feel all that different under foot.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Hi All,

Sorry I've been AWJMacL, very busy times with a new job and some family things to sort out.  Not to mention a rugby world cup.

I'm right back on track I think, and feeling better with each run albeit at easy pace.  My aim was to be doing some quality by the end of November but I feel like I can slowly ease into some tempo stuff before that.

Sorry to hear about all the injuries and illness.  I know the feeling of not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel.  Just hang in there!  Also, good luck to the racers.  JMac, go get it!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - the VFs are crazy huh?  Feel really weird to start with but as soon as you get the pace up they feel so good!  Transfers were available until 3 days before the race - although the kicker is that there's a $20 transfer fee, and the person buying the entry has to pay whatever the full price is at that point in time, so some people just race under someone else's name as it's often a cheaper way of getting an entry if someone else doesn't want to run.

Steve - have seen you patiently logging the miles on Strava, hope everything is going well with the new job.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I forgot you haven't tried the VF before! That alone should get you sub 3 

Flavio - I agree with Keen. I mean, to an extent, I get what you are saying. However, there is a segment of the population that can never run in a 0mm drop shoe because their achilles will never take it, not matter how much strengthening they do. I think looking to optimize your shoe drop, while also focusing on strengthening weak areas, is the right approach.

Steve - i'll give my usual spiel: careful with your easy run pace. It looked a little fast on Strava on some of the runs I was seeing, especially coming back from injury! Forgot if I've already said this to you, I probably have 

Me - Alright folks, I think the "everything goes perfectly" will lead to a negative split sub 1:15. I don't think going out at the pace is exactly smart given my recent VDOT, but I do think given my history of negative splitting, I've got an outside chance, plus BOTT. I will be very happy with anything looking like 1:15:XX. Satisfied with a PR (because you're not allowed to be upset with one). I will be very disappointed in no PR. No pressure 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

VF - Definitely crazy. I could feel the "bounce" from the plate quite strongly while standing and walking, but did seem to disappear while running. I'm glad it didn't really take any getting used to the increased stack height and the (very much) non-zero drop. I didn't notice any side effects of the shoes today - my feeling less-than-fresh for my workout would have been there due to the workout yesterday and my general lack of sleep the past couple nights, regardless of which shoes I wore to pace.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

James - sorry to hear, hopefully a couple of lighter weeks will do the trick for you.

Dps - speedy week! Also Minnesota weather is scary!

Jmac - your injuries are super freaky. One day you’re unable to walk the next day you’re running 22 milers.

+1 on logging everything on a spreadsheet.

If someone like me with very poor dorsiflexion can keep the niggles away running in zero drop then so can most of the people. There might be a tiny percentage of people who wouldn’t be able to do so due to biological reasons or past injuries.

I agree it’s more efficient to rationalise which shoes you wear give the current status quo

It is however, always in your best interest to strengthen the muscles up in the chain so that you can wear whatever shoes you like or no shoes.

Keen - we do peanut butter and banana here heh. We call them cheese monkeys.

me - Got some sort of stomach bug it seems. It hit me hard yesterday evening and I could not sleep well, waking up several times and feverish at times too.

I'm feeling miserable today with body aches all over. I'll take today and tomorrow off.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - i'll give my usual spiel: careful with your easy run pace. It looked a little fast on Strava on some of the runs I was seeing, especially coming back from injury! Forgot if I've already said this to you, I probably have 

I'm really trying!  It's amazing how hard it is to make yourself slow down.  Last night I'd feel like I was on about 5:10 min/km pace and my watch would tell me it was 4:50.

Good luck with the race - sub 1:15 will be a good stepping stone to chasing down Mark's time.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Keen awesome 5000m and nice job on the pacing. My cold is pretty much gone now so I'm good to go for a workout again.

Steve don't listen to Jmac. Hes so injured he can't walk properly in the morning and then goes and runs a 22 miler 

Flavio I don't know zero drop is hardcore for me. I can't ever see myself going there.

Jmac hope you are keeping the injury at bay and good luck for your race.

The Nike shoes are likely to stay as all shoes offer some benefit and advantage. Technology is always improving.

Kipchoges Alphaflys had 3 carbon plates inside a huge midsole. They might have to find a way of limiting how much stuff goes into a midsole.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Man Piwi I wish you could have felt the pain I felt walking on Wednesday so you know how real it was! I’d say 7 out of 10 pain, the kind that actually feels like someone is stabbing you in the foot. Anyway, If you tease the dictator enough, you may go on “vacation” and never return 

I agree on the shoes. There has to be a limit. I’m even afraid to get the Next%, I’m sticking my fly knit version of the VF. Speaking of which, I just got my pair of Zoom Fly flyknit in the mail for fairly cheap. They definitely feel just like the VF, just heavier. I think they’re going to be perfect for tempo runs. Going to try them out tomorrow, which is probably dumb the week of a race but whatever I’m already injured so can’t get more injured. That’s how that works right?

Jmac I don't doubt your pain I'm just amazed you can pump out a 22 miler with such an injury 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

if you continue to be nice like this, maybe your leader will ship a pair of new Vaporflies in your size to your home for being such a big supporter. I mean how can you retire from racing potentially soon without giving these things a go???

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Man Piwi I wish you could have felt the pain I felt walking on Wednesday so you know how real it was! I’d say 7 out of 10 pain, the kind that actually feels like someone is stabbing you in the foot. Anyway, If you tease the dictator enough, you may go on “vacation” and never return 

A 7 out of 10 pain for a New Yorker is the equivalent of a 2 out of 10 pain for a Brit or Kiwi.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)