Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - yeah the last time I went through LGA was Feb 2015.  I remember thinking Joe Biden was being a drama queen when he said it was 'like a third world airport', but... it actually was that bad.  Thank goodness it's being renovated (even if the traffic is a pain in the meantime).

Keen - I've never done any actual flying but I do have a habit of referring to places by 3-letter airport codes!  Also my wife called me yesterday to ask whether a Bombardier Q300 boards from the front or the back.  I'm proud that she at least knows that Air NZ flys ATR-72's and Q300's domestically on regional flights and that one boards from the back and one boards from the front!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - “There’s no way I’m going to PR tomorrow because the wind isn’t exactly 0 mph” 

Wait, what is this, the Wendover productions?  though I'm sure all you guys know that channel already.

Keen - I only get into airplanes when I have to go somewhere quick. I'm generally fine while it's up there, but I still get sweaty hands during take offs and landings.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I will say, I just recently had the best flying experience of my life. For our recent safari, we got an AMAZING deal on Emirates business class (somehow it was only a few hundred more each direction than economy, I didn't ask them why!).

Flying on an A380 with lie flat seats with a bar on board cannot be topped. I felt like an absolute king. Their cocktails were damn good too! I'm so spoiled now, I'm dreading all my upcoming economy flights.

I've never flown, but I've wanted to. My wife said she would kill me, no matter how much I try to convince her how safe it is.

Also, speaking of boarding airplanes, you must watch this if you're a nerd on any front: math, flying, or operations. You may have seen something similar, but this one was way better than I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAHbLRjF0vo

Flavio - I knew you or Piwi would catch that! I didn't say I wouldn't PR, just can't go for the A goal. Big difference 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

JMac - at least it won't be cold.  Mark and I raced the half at Christchurch in June.  Wind and rain was similar to your forecast, but our race was much colder.  I remember fading at the end due to the head wind, being really wet and cold.  I also remember thinking that Mark came all this way and wouldn't PR due to the conditions, and then I find out that somehow he did!

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

It's still nice to know we can run away from a fight 

Keen I trust that you will be supporting OKC Thunder today in their opening game  

Jmac at least been small skinny runners is not as harsh in economy class. Its damn hard to sleep sitting up though!

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - at least it won't be cold.  Mark and I raced the half at Christchurch in June.  Wind and rain was similar to your forecast, but our race was much colder.  I remember fading at the end due to the head wind, being really wet and cold.  I also remember thinking that Mark came all this way and wouldn't PR due to the conditions, and then I find out that somehow he did!

Let's not forget running up river stopbanks to dodge flooding on the course!

The one saving grace on the weather front on that course is that the wind was tough at the start of the race, then a tailwind through the middle, then you didn't cop it again until the end.  As soon as the course turned and put the wind behind you, there was a big confidence boost because my splits started coming up like 10 seconds/km faster and the running felt way easier too.  But I think it's a good example of bad weather not necessarily precluding a PR.  Given the conditions, I went in there with the same mindset as JMac though, that I'll just run the best race I can, and it wasn't until very late in the race, maybe 2km from the finish, that I realised (with considerable surprise!) that a PR could be on the cards.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

It's still nice to know we can run away from a fight 

My physio has me doing a few mins at 7 mins/km pace before any run to try and avoid a recurrence of the piriformis...so if someone shapes up to me, I'll need to ask them for a couple of mins at least before I can run away.  I'm sure they'd understand?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve you should be including these 7 min/km bits on Strava. Don't be embarrassed 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

paul2432

Nice video JMac.  As an efficiency and math geek I enjoyed it.

I have taken one flying lesson when I was 15 which resulted in me getting air sick in the cockpit.  That was the end of my flight lessons.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve you should be including these 7 min/km bits on Strava. Don't be embarrassed 

This is a good point.  I'll try and include the warm up.

Anyone on last year's thread probably saw and heard about my dog, the greatest black lab ever.  2 weeks ago she was fine, we noticed lack of energy and now we've found out she has acute leukemia.  She's only 8, but has been given days, maybe a week.  I may not be on here for a bit.  Sorry to share so much.  I've lost my Dad, and other people close to me and this feels at least as hard - I guess if you don't have a dog you'll think it's crazy.  That's what I would have said a few years ago.

So gutting, she's only 8.  I expected 10 more years with her.  The long weekend will be spent spooning my dog and running if possible.  I had intended to go out to watch the rugby because she hates yelling, but she may have to watch it with me if she's still around.

Image may contain: Steve Bethune, dog, outdoor and nature

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

Steve - sorry about your dog. It's always really hard loosing your pets.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Gutted Steve. I had two labs growing up who both passed away young due to leukemia. I totally understand how painful it is. We have a vizsla now who runs with me most days. So so sorry.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - now we know who’s paying for business class haha. I had a long 17 hour flight to San Francisco last year via PTY and I looked up but Copa Airlines absolutely guts their clients wide open, they had an auction going and the minimum bid was something like $300 for an upgrade on the PTY - SFO leg.

That was actually the very first time I ever considered an upgrade (in part cause the company was paying for the ticket and I’d only pay for the upgrade).

I guess now I’m old enough to consider it. Mind you the economy seats are tiny for me.

Mark - I suspect you could PR under a rain of Swiss knives.

Paul - wait what, another efficiency geek, so am I. I guess we can create a club or something. Inefficiency just annoys me, the same way that a car alarm does.

Example: When I warm up water for a tea I always warm exactly the amount of water I’ll drink. No more, no less.

Steve - Sorry to hear about the dogo. Even though I’m nearly phobic towards big dogs, I understand very well the deep connection people can have.

As a kid we had dogs on the farm too and I remember how hard it was we’d lose them.

Especially after losing people around you when it’s such a difficult time. I’ve also lost some close people in the last year and it’s tough times.

Hang in there!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - I'm so sorry about your dog. I lost my dad a couple of years ago and I completely understand what you mean about this being just as hard. Nobody without a dog will understand how much they really mean to you. My wife always says "why do you seem so much happier to see the dog than me?" and I always tell her "well, every day I come home from work, I don't see you being so excited to see me like you haven't seen me in months." Dogs can make any bad day so much better, bringing joy in a unique way that is hard to explain. Give her everything she wants, including all the human food she always craves.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - I'll pay for anything if I think i'm getting a great deal, which this was. I recommend you don't go to business, it's hard to go back to cattle class after.

Paul - glad you enjoyed the video, it's fascinating how poorly run it is! The best experience I had with getting on planes was in Japan. I couldn't tell if it's just because they're so damn efficient (like the Germans), or whether it was because almost everyone checked a bag. Probably a combination of both.

Me - Don't worry fellas, no sandbagging coming here. I'm going for the damn PR come hell or high water. I got so lucky with weather with my 10K though I guess I can't really complain. Plus, CIM good weather is worth all the bad weather this year, so hopefully that comes to fruition. All I ask is that some guys around my speed show up so I can tuck in behind them.