Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - I'll pay for anything if I think i'm getting a great deal, which this was. I recommend you don't go to business, it's hard to go back to cattle class after.

So do I. It's just that in the previous 38 years of my life I just couldn't afford it 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Well now that you're not drinking beer anymore, think of all of the business class you can fly!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Wait, what? Thunder opening game today? I must have been living under a rock to not know that! 
        As a skinny runner I certainly do fit within the confines of an economy class seat. As a tall runner, my legs don't fit quit so well.

Steve - So sorry to hear about your dog - that's definitely rough. Our basset hound passed away a few months ago due to a ruptured tumor we didn't know about - even if we did know, though, it was the kind of thing there's no treatment for.

JMac - One other (small) fringe benefit to my logging some miles on the treadmill - it's in the garage with no fan/air circulation. It doesn't take much before it feels like I'm running in 75F/24C+, so it helps maintain some of the benefits of heat acclimatization a little longer.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Steve sorry about your dog. Those black labs are so nice although one bit me on the job once 

We don't have a dog but opted for the 3 cat option. Kids love them. My daughter is going to Christchurch university next year so I'm finally coming to the south island for the first time.

Corey OKC looked shakey but actually took the lead a couple of times and made it close. Unfortunately my man crush Steven adams only got 3 points and looked out of sorts. He missed 4 out of 4 free throws which delighted the whole crowd who now get free chicken fillet...

Flavio my wife overfills the jug with water so when I go to boil it I tip most of it out to make it quicker. I should be saving the extra water though....

Jmac good luck this weekend. How is your injury holding up ?

Had a proud dad moment this week. My 15 yr old daughter won the youth prize in a big art competition in Rotorua.

She gets $1000 for it. My wife and I were holding back the tears at the prize giving.

This is her painting acrylic on glass

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Wonderful Piwi.

Twolves on their way to 82-0. #justsayin

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - is that your daughter's rendition of you wearing the Gaga costume after a failed 5K attempt? Either way, that's seriously amazing work and you should be proud.

Regarding my injury, it's just now chronically sore. It's sore in the morning, great in the afternoon, and then sore after my run. But it's not even remotely close to as bad as it was. I think it's going to be one of those tendinitis issues that lasts for a few months and just nags me at random points. So it's officially in "niggle" category at this point that needs to be actively managed.

Also, OKC gonna be real bad this year. Get ready.

Keen - Makes complete sense on the treadmill in the garage. It's been SO nice here lately, every run has been between 55 and 60 degrees. It's my perfect training weather, I love running days where I'm wearing a light long sleeve.

Flavio - Forgot to mention something I thought you would enjoy. I went to another PT session this week just to get some muscle work done due to my chronically sore calf, which I think was driving the tendon issue. Anyway, he started checking out my hip and said my right hip is a disaster compared to my left, so he thinks that may be the underlying cause. Makes complete sense as almost every single issue I've had over the past 2 years has been in my right leg.

Goes to show how important it is to have a good PT/doctor as they will often find what's truly going on. Going to spend a lot of time hip strengthening after my race before CIM.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - man you sure have had a rough run!  Really sorry to hear about your dog.  We had an amazing German Shepherd when I was growing up, it was almost like having another brother or sister.  It was such a sad day when we had to eventually get her put down but we were lucky that she lived till like 13 or something.  My parents have never had the heart to get another dog to replace her, she was that cool.

Piwi - wow your daughter has some real talent there!

JMac - great news on the injury being downgraded to a niggle.  My right hip has been niggling away at me since around May so I hope your niggle clears up faster than that.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - I'm so sorry about your dog. I lost my dad a couple of years ago and I completely understand what you mean about this being just as hard. Nobody without a dog will understand how much they really mean to you. My wife always says "why do you seem so much happier to see the dog than me?" and I always tell her "well, every day I come home from work, I don't see you being so excited to see me like you haven't seen me in months." Dogs can make any bad day so much better, bringing joy in a unique way that is hard to explain. Give her everything she wants, including all the human food she always craves.

Thanks JMac (and all).

She'll be getting every treat she wants.  I'm glad we have a long weekend with her.  She does brighten everything - after the cricket world cup final which finished at 7am, I was still in bed at 3pm and couldn't face getting up.  She barged down the door and jumped on the bed (usually a no no) and cuddled right in.  She also now growls whenever she hears the name "Ben Stokes" (a big part of the robbery that was the cricket world cup - we can discuss the merits of being so affected by a sporting match, let alone cricket, another time!).

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

I love my pets, but they cannot heal the world cup final heartbreak.

Piwi - that's a fine painting.  Are you sure you're the father?  Also, what is your other daughter going to study at Canterbury, or is it Lincoln?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Watson software engineering at Canterbury omg she's turning into one of you guys  she got a scholarship for 2nd year fees and working on a math paper for scholarship for 3rd year fees. 1st year paid by government. She just has to pay $16000 per year for catered accommodation.....

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yeah, nothing will ever help me get over it. But she made me feel better

I love my pets, but they cannot heal the world cup final heartbreak.

Piwi - that's a fine painting.  Are you sure you're the father?  Also, what is your other daughter going to study at Canterbury, or is it Lincoln?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - Isn’t it like dangerous to run in a room with no air circulation?

Piwi - that’s a beautiful painting, full of emotion. It looks like you’re set for life. The daughter working on software engineering will make bank super fast, like in 6 months. Tell her I said to pay a lot of attention to algorithms and data structures classes during the first year.

Jmac - it looks like we’re on the same boat. A niggle that is annoying enough but still let us run, for now.

As for the strength training, I’m sure you will do whole body strength training, not just the hips.

If you work just the hips your body will become unbalanced and something else will break soon enough.

Watson/Steve - come on guys, chin up. You've lost a match you're supposed to lose and it was by the tiniest of margins. It was a great campaign, akin to Croatia in the last World Cup (on that other sport). It's not like you guys lost 7x1 at home while hosting the world cup 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - I'm actually bad about whole body strength training. Definitely need to do a good job with that going forward if I'm going to push it to 80+ MPW

Piwi - I agree with Flavio, definitely tell your daughter that a stranger on the Internet has advice for her.

Me - Forecast hasn't really change, winds still foretasted to be a headwind for the final half of the race around 17 mph, gusting higher. WHO CARES, NO SANDBAGGING, TIME TO GO SNAG THAT PR IN BAD CONDITIONS, BOTT.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Your daughter shows some real talent!

Flavio - It's not that the garage air is stagnant or bad at all - there's just not anything to force movement of the air or create a breeze to cool me off. The result is that I end up building a "cocoon" of self-heated air around myself.

Seeing as how JMac brought up the forecast for his upcoming race (good luck, buddy!) I'll bring up the (extended, and quite likely to change) forecast for mine: ~45 / 7.2*, with a slight breeze and little chance of rain. Easily the best forecast for a race I've had in almost a year!! <<< completely true, though somewhat misleading comment as it has been almost a year since I've actually raced a race. 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Thanks guys. I don't get art, I mean I like the stuff I can recognize but the abstract stuff no. When we were in London this year we went to a big art gallery. There was a yellow triangle in a frame. Next to it was some information stating that a yellow triangle isn't just a yellow triangle.

I was like for fucks sake it is a bloody yellow triangle 

Anyway we got news that her painting sold already.

Flavio we have the world cup semi final tonight against England in rugby.

Even though I was born in England and had a family member playing for them I have always viewed them as the enemy 

Go Allblacks.

Jmac good luck once again!