Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Welcome kimba - those are some great times, you obviously have some real talent and I could definitely see you getting your time down into the zone that will have you on some podiums.

I do weight training 3 times a week on my upper body, including some hamstring, glute strengthening of a recent injury.  I'm considering signing up for an online running coach/plan after being in the wilderness for 3 years (apart from all the help available here).  I suspect they will increase my running days and decrease most of my easy run paces so I might go back to 2 days a week.  I find weights pretty boring and time consuming.

Has anyone ever joined an online running coaching forum?  I listen to Running Rogue podcasts a lot and like what I hear so I'm looking at them at the moment.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - I've listened to a few of the Running Rogue podcasts too, really enjoy them.  Not sure about online coaching forums though sorry.  I do know some coaches that just work online though (including Lydia O'Donnell).

Kimba- For upper body I do bench press, chin-ups, and standing shoulder press, plus some body weight core work.  Lower body is squats, deadlifts, calf raises and sometimes lunges (mostly just 3 sets of 6 on a moderate weight).

Paul - the Garmin recovery thing is a function of heart rate and duration (i.e. higher heart rate for longer duration = longer recovery time).  I find it's only after long workouts or races that mine gets up above around 40 hours (it maxes at 72 hours), so having it that high after 200's is probably a bit of an errant reading.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

If you actually were running in Central Park and didn't tell me, I would never speak (type?) to you again.

No worries, if I'm ever going to be in NYC I'll certainly be reaching out to you so we can go for a run. And maybe some random, crazy fun stuff like debating which edition of Daniels is the best.

In other news, it's currently snowing! Pretty consistent, and it's all small flakes that won't stick, but still.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

When I was in london this year I saw Keens Strava run in London and got sucked in that he was actually there. Of course it was Zwift....

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

kimba

Welcome kimba - those are some great times, you obviously have some real talent and I could definitely see you getting your time down into the zone that will have you on some podiums.

I do weight training 3 times a week on my upper body, including some hamstring, glute strengthening of a recent injury.  I'm considering signing up for an online running coach/plan after being in the wilderness for 3 years (apart from all the help available here).  I suspect they will increase my running days and decrease most of my easy run paces so I might go back to 2 days a week.  I find weights pretty boring and time consuming.

Has anyone ever joined an online running coaching forum?  I listen to Running Rogue podcasts a lot and like what I hear so I'm looking at them at the moment.

I once paid for a 5K training plan from Smart Running Project or something like that.  I didn't really find it to be very helpful, but it also  wasn't very expensive and I didn't really follow it because I didn't pay for frequent interaction with the coaches, which is probably of paramount importance if it's going to work.  I also listen to Running Rogue and like what I hear, but what I like even better than that is the Strength Running Podcast with Jason Fitzgerald.  He was interviewed on one of Rogue's episodes, and he offers on-line coaching as well.  Though I haven't hired either of them, I was more impressed with Jason Fitzgerald and was tempted to hire him.  Check him out!  Ultimately, I think the most important thing is to make sure that you'll actually have a lot of interaction with the on-line coach - otherwise it's just like following any other generic plan.

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Kimba - great participation so far! As the resident hypochondriac, I'll be sure to control my urges to ask you questions 

Steve - I think Flavio has some experience with this, I think he just signed up for one. Anyway I agree with Kimba, I requested a plan from Jack Daniels coaching group just as a second opinion and I hated the plan.

Mark - I was looking into new shoes for daily trainers because as I mentioned, not a fan of the new line of Brooks I've been wearing for 5 years at this point.

Question for you - for daily training run, would you recommend the Kinvara or the freedom iso? I know a lot of people use Kinvara for workouts, but I've read a good amount of people use it for trainers too.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

I have just received my New Balance Zante Pursuit, so I will see how they go.  Although I spent today planting flaxes on work community day, and I am too tired to run.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Watson send them up if they don't work out for you 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - I was looking into new shoes for daily trainers because as I mentioned, not a fan of the new line of Brooks I've been wearing for 5 years at this point.

Question for you - for daily training run, would you recommend the Kinvara or the freedom iso? I know a lot of people use Kinvara for workouts, but I've read a good amount of people use it for trainers too.

I use the Kinvara for workouts and the Freedom ISO for easy runs / long runs.  The main reason for this is cost - I find the Kinvara tends to start feeling dead in the forefoot by about 450km / 280 miles, whereas the Freedom ISO I can easily get 650km out of.  If cost wasn't an issue I'd pick the Kinvara over the Freedom ISO.  The Kinvara is an awesome shoe and packs a decent level of cushioning considering its light weight and responsiveness.  Great range of colourways too.  I'd have zero qualms about using it for anything from a 5km easy / recovery run through to a 35km long run with a workout included. 

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I used to run quite a bit in the Kinvara and Freedom ISO, and my thoughts pretty much line up with Mark's (I've done everything from short easy runs to workouts to marathon distance in both shoes). I typically got a bit more mileage out of mine before they started to go downhill. They feel pretty similar to me, though the Freedom has more cushion (side note: I think the Escalante and Freedom feel quite similar, but the Escalante has more pop to it).

Legs are feeling a bit sore/junky today. Here's hoping it's just mini-taper madness and that it's gone in a couple days.

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll have to go to a running shop and try both on on a treadmill to see which I prefer. My current trainers are firm, but I also run in the cushy VFs, and I like both. So I'm not sure I'll be able to know without running in both.

Legs are feeling a bit sore/junky today. Here's hoping it's just mini-taper madness and that it's gone in a couple days.

Your legs should still feel junky. Mine felt like crap even the day before the race (and I didn't complain to you guys! I was so proud of myself ), but they felt good during my warm up the morning of. You don't get that pop in your legs a few days in advance in a mini-taper like you do in a real taper.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Your legs should still feel junky. Mine felt like crap even the day before the race (and I didn't complain to you guys! I was so proud of myself ), but they felt good during my warm up the morning of. You don't get that pop in your legs a few days in advance in a mini-taper like you do in a real taper.

Well, that's comforting! I just find it odd that I've been running more volume and intensity than ever before and my legs feel just fine every single day, but as soon as I start cutting volume they start to feel less-than-perfect. Clown world...

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Funny, my mileage has basically just peaked for Kerikeri Half and the legs are definitely feeling it.  October was an all-time record month for me at 418km (previous best: 400km).  I'll do a mini-taper for the 10,000m race next weekend.

Keen - good luck!!!!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mick - I’ve say you find a local personal trainer, we’re all slightly different and details matter.

That said, deep squats, split squats, skater squats and single leg deadlifts (also known as airplane).

That plus pull ups and pushups and some extra in there for core, like the L-sit.

This whole routine should take you 15 minutes.

I personally hate working out with machines.

I somewhat tolerate barbells for the purpose of dead lifts and squats.

Body weight  and ring exercises are however super fun.

Kimba - I do enjoy strength training, mostly because I've always been very weak and prone to injuries.

My running has gotten a lot better so I'll keep doing it.

Paul - I mostly ignore what the Garmin watch says.

Steve - no forum, but I’ve recently signed up for online coaching. It’s been great so far.

I often wonder if it’s maybe too much coaching for me since I’m so slow (like throwing pearls to pigs).

At the same time, I also think that because I’m so slow I should find the best coaching I can afford.

Overall I feel like it’s a good deal because I’m learning a lot during my interactions with the coach and if I decide to go solo again

I will be better equipped to handle training blocks.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Steve  Sorry to hear about your dog, I lost one of mine earlier this year it's tough.

Jmac great effort on the race those condition sound brutal nice RR

Kimba welcome to the group.

Keen when is your race?

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)