Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Watson/DJ - the only race I ever won was a tiny race with some 40 runners the day before the local marathon, so all the speedy pants were saving themselves for the next day. It still felt great!

Mikkey - they’re training for various distances, from 10K all the way to 80k. They’re just fast dudes and their easy pace is naturally also faster than average.

Andres - Welcome aboard! I didn’t want to go that far. My point was, like I said to Mikkey, faster people have faster easy paces. 3:45/km 6 min/mil is easy pace for Kipchoge no matter the mileage.

Sam - well hello there! So many questions:

1 - Do many people ask about the cat sniffing the chimarrão container?

2 - Are you well recovered from that injury?

3 - why are you not faster? You’re supposed to be my rabbit (though I have a lot to catchup on the marathon time)

Piwi - you Kiwis are such an epic fail with forum encounters. You need to learn from us Brazilians, overlords of forum encounters. I have had 3 and Sam has had a brazilion.

Oh, my current life objective is to beat your 50+ 5K PR. I’m 7 seconds out so you better get moving.

Rune - hey there, sorry to hear about the injury. Mine was also a bitch, took 3 months to start running again and 18 months to get back to normal. Though I was doing things my own way instead of consulting experts, so the long recovery is on my own stupidity.

me - Hey, look at my fat figure huffing and puffing on the track yesterday. Sun glasses on to avoid the dreaded farting face on pictures.

Fat Flavio on the track

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Andres1045

How do you structure your long runs for a half? Are they loong intervals or a long tempo?

I have sometimes done intervals, but I prefer to do something like this with less structure:

If I'm trying to get close to 6 for HMP, I may start out with 3 miles warming up from 8-7:30. Then I do 10 to 11 going from maybe 7:10 down to 6:15, where the last two or so of that block is at 6:15ish. Then I add a couple more miles of easy running. That middle block might average 6:30, so not quite what I described earlier, but enough to feel like you're working hard after having run strong for an hour plus. And my only other workout for the week would be 6 miles of long intervals at 10s faster than GHMP.

I really wish I could have managed to fit in at least one run like that before my last half!

Upcoming races: Boston

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

Sam that was fast good to hear from you. We got Brent here and DJW. How is the running going ?

It's been very poor. For those not in the loop, I had a partial tendon tear in early 2016 and never bounced back from it, physically but also mentally, my motivation is really gone. I gave 2 or 3 serious tries that would only last for a month or so. My easy pace these days is 9:30-10:00 per mile. I am in the middle of another comeback, let's see how this one goes...

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

Sam - well hello there! So many questions:

1 - Do many people ask about the cat sniffing the chimarrão container?

2 - Are you well recovered from that injury?

3 - why are you not faster? You’re supposed to be my rabbit (though I have a lot to catchup on the marathon time)

1) I have framed this one and it sits in my living room. It's pretty cool. Muricans have no clue what I am drinking, but it's not like I invite strangers to my living room... so it's all good.

2) Nope, see post above.

3) I can change my signature and come up with some bogus times if you could benefit from the rabbiting. let me know.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

1) I have framed this one and it sits in my living room. It's pretty cool. Muricans have no clue what I am drinking, but it's not like I invite strangers to my living room... so it's all good.

2) Nope, see post above.

3) I can change my signature and come up with some bogus times if you could benefit from the rabbiting. let me know.

Oh man, sorry to hear about the injury, that's a nasty one, the worst part is losing the habit of running big miles, it takes now so much effort to just get back to that mileage.

No need to change the sig, that marathon time is very enticing, I shall try to run faster than it in your honor.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - Welcome back! Best of luck with the injury.

Flavio - "Brazillion". Ha! Also, I had to google "chimarrão". 
              "It takes so much effort to just get back to that mileage". Isn't that the truth! My yearly mileage goal comes to 60mpw, which when compared to what I was putting up during marathon training last year seems like a walk in the park. But compared to where I'm at now that's just SO. MUCH. RUNNING.

I may have mentioned it before, but due to the fact that all my local roads are either N/S or E/W I hate when the wind is blowing from between cardinal points as it means that half of my run has to be into the wind. 22F/-5.5C w/ a 15mph/24kmh NW wind for my run this morning. Next time those conditions come around (possibly tomorrow morning) I'm going to wear my ski goggles and probably a buff. That would have made this morning so much more pleasant. Live and learn...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

brentnet

MJ - Never have played Counterstrike, but I play Fortnite on the treadmill most mornings. I don't play particularly well, but it makes the time go by.

Watson - You didn't drive me away in 2016. We were selling a house and life just got nuts. My running went to crap that year. Seems like right when I tried to get back into it, the forum went away.

Rune -  Nice to meet ya! Hope you enjoy the banter on here.

Sam - Welcome back buddy! Saw on Facebook you got married. Congratulations!

CK - You are tougher than I am. When I was younger, I used to do every run outside. In like 2004, I ran around a 10-12 mile lake route nearly every Saturday including one when it was about -20 F. I can't stand the freezing cold, though, so I've transitioned to a softy treadmill runner.

Flavio - Forgot you guys are in the middle of summer right now. I'd LOVE to run around a track might now. Maybe in about 4 months!

Me - I had a solid week (50 miles) last week without a long run. Not intentional, but life just got busy. Slow start to this week as I took Monday off, but hopefully will knock out another solid week. My goal this year is every week to be >50 miles to kind of keep myself accountable.

Marky_Mark_17

...I think the next thing for me will be to really start hammering some of the workouts.  There's been a few workouts over the last little while where I'll realise on the last interval that I probably left a bit on the table earlier in the workout, and I think mentally I just need to be prepared to suffer a bit more on some of those workouts.

So, this may have come back to bite me...

This morning, it was 22C at 5:30am, and humid.  I did 4x1k with 1 min rests and most of these were into a strong westerly headwind.  Accordingly, I remembered quite quickly what it is like to suffer on a workout (and I wasn't even going that fast!).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Great to be getting to know some new runners, although very sorry to hear about the number of injuries in this thread at the moment.  Good luck to all working their way back, don't forget that (usually) it is eventually worth the pain.

I had a good week last week despite moving and going away to a boozy family reunion.  Got all my runs in although stuck to easy pace during the peak busy/boozy period.

Yesterday was my workout day and with very hot (around 35C) and windy conditions all day, while I worked from home, I decided to wait for the predicted cool change to come in around 6-7.  It did cloud over and rained about 6 which I thought was the extent of the change.  I got moving about 7pm and from my new house the bike path heads almost due south.  About 4km I saw a huge front of clouds approaching and people were pulling over in their cars taking photos.  It hit and suddenly everything changed - the air was very cold for January, I was really struggling to move into it, trees were coming down in nearby farms and eventually on the road and the power lines were crackling.  All of this helped when I turned around and with the wind behind me I did the planned 3x2km tempo with 200 metres rest (I had planned for 400-500m but I felt I was cheating a bit with the tailwind).  I still was hurting a bit by the last 2km block but for the 6km of tempo the times were:

4:08

4:01

4:00

4:02

which are all, except the first one, 10-15 seconds quicker than my HMP.  I think they were only actually worth my normal HMP though, with the assistance.

My partner actually went out looking for me because she'd heard about power lines and trees falling on the road I run down.  Got home to no power which was fine as the cricket was not going well.  Here's a photo I stole of the approaching weather:

The storm over Christchurch.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Well I guess Steve upstaged my weather complaining...

Nice tempo session though.  The wind will count for a bit but I'm guessing you were probably still slightly ahead of goal HMP.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Haha, I still prefer that to the hot weather

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cold weather running - what other tips do you guys have? I'm good with pretty much everything, but this whole vaseline on the face thing is new to me. What's the point of that? It creates a buffer between the wind and your skin? I was running in 15 degree weather on Sunday with 40 MPH gusts and just 5 seconds of that wind made you feel like you were getting frostbite.

Flavio - you look very healthy in that picture. We have to remember runners do not, they look like they could use a cheeseburger.

rune - Great to hear from you. I hope that you continue to recover. Sounds like a very tough injury. We have a bunch of guys on here that can attest to coming back from injury and you should know that although it's a long road, it's worth it in the end

Piwi - I contacted Rune to come over here. Are you trying to take credit for what your leader did? That will NOT be met with leniency.

Sam - What tendon did you tear?

Steve - That's a good picture. Do you guys get thunderstorms down in Kiwi land? That, and icy roads, are the only two conditions I will not run through.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brent - For some reason the treadmill didn't occur to me this morning! I don't mind running in the cold at all. It's the blasted wind that I can't stand. Sub 0F/-18C? Just fine if there's no wind. 35F/1C and windy? No thanks!

Steve - Awesome picture! Are tornadoes a thing in your part of the world?

JMac - Wow. That's one of the best put-downs I've heard (seen?) in a long time! Well done.
                            For face protection I prefer a beard! But yes, vaseline has an insulating effect against cold and wind. I know people who do winter ultras (such as Tuscobia) will use it underneath clothes.

I'm dead serious about using ski goggles the next time it's cold and really windy outside. My cheeks (that aren't covered by beard) is really what gets cold, then my eyes get dried out from the wind and sometimes my eyelashes freeze together. Goggles should cure just about all that.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Watson/Jmac the secret to attracting old forum members is clever marketing like " all the guys are missing you and wondering how you are "  I know hilarious !

Steve ugh the cricket was not good. Nice tempo. Nothing like a tailwind to feel what its like to go almost as fast as Mark !

Flavio get your fat goggles off you look very fit in that photo.

Sam thats a hell of an injury. I ran at near 10 min mile pace today so Ive got your back brother 

Rune a bad injury for you too. good to hear from you though.

Brent 50 mpw is a very solid average. You will be very fit off that.

Mark yeah Im with you on the mugginess ( no dewpoint talk ) Im running at 5.30am and sweat pretty early into the run at my fast 6 min/km pace....

Keen Im not comfortable about you talking about your cheeks and vaseline...your weather is brutal.

Jmac yes we get thunderstorms and a few mini tornadoes. Generally though we live in paradise as we keep telling you !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Cold weather running - what other tips do you guys have? I'm good with pretty much everything, but this whole vaseline on the face thing is new to me. What's the point of that? It creates a buffer between the wind and your skin? I was running in 15 degree weather on Sunday with 40 MPH gusts and just 5 seconds of that wind made you feel like you were getting frostbite.

Drive-by:  Vaseline keeps your face warmer and protects it from windburn.  It also shields your face from the pre-mature aging caused by exposure to the elements, if you care about that sort of thing.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.