Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Flavio: thank you! I had PT which meant personal training with a  lot of exercises that didn't help at all and caused knee pain. But I have to get back at it. Just dont have the means at the moment to afford personal training...

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mick - ouch, I used to have knee pain when I tried to do squats (any variation).

Over time I learned that it was because I was trying to keep the knees in place and also doing them with the knees pointing forward.

I've since learned that I need to have the hips slightly more opened as it's easier for me and let the knees do whatever they like.

The one thing I'll be forever grateful to the functional training gym is that they saw whatever imbalances and weaknesses I had and set out to fix it over the course of several months.

I didn't even realize I was doing it, all I knew was I was doing some very light exercises in the beginning and that somehow fixed me.

And I started there at a worse place then you, after being 18 months on the mend with constant injuries in the calves and quads.

I understand though that such a gym will likely cost you more than $70 a month.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

kimba

Flavio: thank you! I had PT which meant personal training with a  lot of exercises that didn't help at all and caused knee pain. But I have to get back at it. Just dont have the means at the moment to afford personal training...

Lol.  I'm PT as in physical therapist, not personal trainer.  I'd be happy to try to help if you want!

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

kimba

I just completed my longest run since my last injury!  7.75 miles in the wind and sun!  I know it's not long, but it's the longest I've run since August, and that completes my running week at 30 miles, also the longest since August.  Bring on the miles and training!  Fingers crossed it keeps progressing without any hiccups.

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

CFarr - The race is Sunday! Forecast is still looking pretty great, too.

Possible hiccup in the half marathon plan: DD1 & DD2 have a soccer tournament locally that weekend - we only knew the date of this tournament maybe two weeks ago - so I was planning on making what games I could before having to go to Dallas. But as of this morning DD3 has a very slight fever. I'm really hoping this is just a fluke and that she's not actually getting sick - both for her and because if she's actually sick it means I'll be skipping the half.

Kimba - Awesome for you getting that longer run in!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

kimba

Thanks, Keen!  

sorry to hear about your daughter.  If you can’t make this race, is there another in the near future you can do?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Kimba - I had to check, but there is a half outside of Tulsa next weekend. Not ideal as I'd be paying for an extra race and perhaps a hotel room/air bnb and it certainly doesn't go around the same lake as the Dallas marathon, but I'm not thinking it will be necessary at this point. DD3 woke up from a nap half an hour ago (working from home) and seems to be just fine!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JamesD

JamesD

JMac - Congratulations on your PR and on your integrity.

Kimba - Welcome!  If you want a better idea of who you’re talking with, the first few pages of the board have the annual start-of-year introductions from most of us.  Or you could just wait two months and see what we all write at the start of 2020. We have a good variety in terms of geography (four continents), ages (I have PRs that are older than some of the posters), and speed (see our sig lines).  Great that you’ve gotten back up to 7.75/30, and good luck continuing to build mileage.

Keen - Good luck Sunday, and glad DD3 is doing better.  You should be in line for a big PR.

Me - A good 5x1200 session on Sunday afternoon left my legs pretty tired the rest of the week, and I shortened my long run & easy runs with (now) two weeks until my goal half.  A high school football team began to practice after I had started Sunday, and when they ran 80-yard sprints, it was fun to keep up with the slower players.  Weather changed suddenly at the end of the week - it was 75/24 with a dew point of 72 on Thursday and 39/4  with a dew point of 30 when I ran at the same time on Friday. One more 4-mile tempo on Sunday and that’s pretty much it for quality until my race.

Sun - 6.5 miles including 5x1200 @ 4:28 w/3:15 rest, faded just a little but still my best for this workout

Mon - 4.7 really slow

Tues - 6.2 slow in the rain, legs less tired

Weds - off

Thurs - 9.3 easy

Fri - 5.3 moderate

Sat - off

Total - 32 miles

12-week average - 33 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Thanks Flavio & Kimba:

I actually meant PT as in Physical Therapist. Look they praised me how clean my squats were etc. It just lead to knee pain. But it might be, that this is simply at the beginning and that at some stage the muscles take on the work. Or as Flavio suggested, I need to open the stance.

For Kimba's benefit: I have pulled the left calf muscle back in May and have been battling with it since. PT was back in July. I run-commute usually, but if I don't have a rest day in between, the pain comes right back. I use KT and that helps. I only jog in my super duper easy pace now. No more intervals, tempos etc. This is behind me; I need to build a base like Flavio to prevent this from coming back. If you have any suggestions, don't hold back. I cannot pay you since I am notoriously broke (I dont even have a GPS watch at the moment, since I left mine at the hotel and those buggers aren't sending it back to me...).

So for now my regiment is running on soft surface every other day or so and do the strenght exercises that Flavio had put together: variances of squats, deadlifts, pull ups. Core strenght.

kimba

Mick, it got strained while running?  And were/are you doing any exercises specifically for the calf?  And are you positive it’s calf vs soleus vs posterior tibialis?  Have you ever strained it in the past?  Did the PT assess your ankle mobility and intrinsic foot strength?  

Sorry, lots of questions!  But you might be able to add some stuff to help you along.  How old are you?  (I’m too lazy right now to go back to the intro posts 😬)

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - fingers crossed everyone is healthy!

MJ- those are all great exercises but make sure your form is good.

James - that is one fast weather change!! Nice week.

Kimba - nice job on the mileage build-up.  Also great to have someone with your knowledge on the thread.

Me - last big week for a while in the bag.  I was definitely feeling the mileage on Thursday and was struggling a bit with the intervals, but a day off running on Friday and then I hit a great track session yesterday.  With the 10,000m race next weekend, and Kerikeri HM two weeks after, I'll be on lower mileage for the next little while.  It's satisfying to have the hard work in the bag though and I'm looking forward to racing.  Weather forecast not looking great for next weekend with wind in Wellington but it's still a long way off.  And being on the track, you never have to deal with the wind for that long at a time!

M: 15km incl. 2x15 min steady / 2 min hard

T: 7.4km recovery

W: 12km with hills

T: 20.1km incl. 4 x 8 min hard / 4 min jog

F: weights

S: 14.6km track session (average 3:34/km)

S: 21km long run

Total: 90.2km

edit: in awesome news, I just discovered they have a 33-minute pacer for next weekend’s 10,000m race. Game on!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Hi everybody!

I disappeared for a while due to travel and work commitments. I have tried to keep some running in..my problem lately has been the travelling...

3 weeks ago I went to Germany for a couple of days,

2 weeks ago I went to Raleigh-Durham, in North Carolina (US) got stranded and went to Miami to catch a flight the day after I was supposed to to come back home... also managed to get a fairly serious infection on my foot toe the first week and catch a cold going to Miami...

1 week ago I went back to Raleigh-Durham, in North Carolina (US) .

This week I was at home, but today I am at an airport going to Copenhagen for a long conference...

Next week I will be in Atlanta (US) for another conference...

I managed a couple of faster workouts per week (around 7 miles, one with intervals at 3:45 per K and one with Threshold/tempo around 6:30/6:45 per mile. Mileage has been very low while in the US but it increased to over 30 this week. I will try to do something as soon as I land in Copenhagen, but I have already about 10 hours of meeting per day booked in the next 4 days.

I have been reading the forum on the go. congrats everybody, there is a lot of good training and great results going on in the community! I hope to be able to join in the good results part soon. For now I have willingness to try and fit what I can in...

have a great Sunday

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Marco, this reminds me more of the movie up in the air with george clooney. Buy yourself something cool with the frequent flyer miles, man. Sorry to hear this though, particularly since you have kids. Hope those crazy travel schedules will be over soon.

Kimba: I am 39 but feel twice that age Smile I was told its in the soleus; so when I say calf it's just because I didnt even know I had a soleus prior to this injury. What happened? I ran pretty hard in the morning and then was doing some stupid move at home back in May , reaching for a flower pot on the balcony while trimming the plant, with most of my weight on the left, now injured leg. I felt a sudden pull. The rest is history. Didnt run for a couple of weeks, and did PT in June/July.

To your questions of: Did the PT assess your ankle mobility and intrinsic foot strength?  I had to google those things. Yes we did the half-kneeling dorsiflexion test and I passed it, although barely. I dont recall any foot strenght test. How do I test that?

Mark: I know, I need proper posture and execution. I need to get back into weights. Just listened to a podcast on how important it is to be active - Michael Joyner was on the Freakonomics podcast the other day. He doesnt run anymore, coming from a 2.30h marathon time. He now does mostly interval and weights, cycling for cardio. Since you are a professional athlete with that gymn backing you with sponsor money I assume ??? Smile

Keen Glad to Hera DD3 is doing better. Good luck in the race today looking forward to seeing and hearing about the results!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Big congrats to Keen for an awesome HM and big PR!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"