Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

James - that’s a great workout, 4:28 for 1200 is speedy!

Mick - LOL I too learn about muscles when they break. There’s just too many of them!

Did you watch "The Kominsky method"? Great show! Anyway, in one episode this 50 something lady tells her love interest how she injured her back while trying to wipe her ass haha and how she couldn't ask for help 

As a fellow ancient 39 year old (I’ve started working at 12, it feels like I’ve been living forever) , let me tell you if you don’t do strength training you’ll soon devolve into a pile of paper.

Mark - I've never asked, but did you play hockey professionally?

Another question: as a fellow aviation geek, do you ever watch the videos from Wendover productions?

Marco - 10 hours of meetings per day, damn! I’ve built a fame over the years as the meetings I preside are super short because I cut the legs of anybody doing/talking about anything inefficient.

The meetings I don’t preside however (puke emoticon)

Keen - awesome PR, great job out there. Also, you ran 7 seconds faster than my PR, you know that means you’re now my official rabbit right? 

My week, 62km 39 miles.

M: strength training

T: 10ez

W: am 10ez pm strength training

T: 8x600 @ 10k pace

F: strength training

S: 10ez

S: 16 medium long run @ 4:30/km

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

On a separate note, did you guys watch the NY marathon broadcast? A non sponsored club runner just snatched 3rd place. I'm not sure I heard it right but it seems the cut off for the elite field was 2h14 and he only had a 2h16.

Big props to Girma Bekele Gebre, what a stud!!!

The other guys in the elite field could not believe how that guy with a number for a bib was amongst them.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JamesD

JamesD

James - that’s a great workout, 4:28 for 1200 is speedy!

Thanks, Flavio.  I take 3:00 to 3:15 rest intervals (walk 200m then jog 200m), which I think is more than most people do.  Because of my hamstring trouble, I haven't done any hills or track 400s or 800s recently, so the 1200s are my fastest workouts, and I think a little more rest helps.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Week three of base building.  Next week i start working in some light workouts to get some turn over.

Keen Nice job!  Big PR.  Enjoy it.

Flavio- Nice on the 16k.  Is that the longest one in a while?  I don't recall seeing much over 14k for a while from you.

James-Intervals the bane of and reason for success of distance runners.

Plan Actual Total Time Slowest-fastest mile/(Average) Notes
          8 8.24

56:50

6:58-6:49 (6:54) Felt good and smooth
          8 8.25 57:20 7:06-6:53 (6:58) Ran before long car ride + Striders (.5)
          8 8.23 59:26 7:25-6:56 (7:14) After 10 hours of driving between the previous run....took a long time to shake the legs loose and get moving
          8 8.19 57:11 :04-6:53 (7:00) This is probably my most even paced run in a while.  one mile to the next varied only a second or two. +.5 striders
          8 8.23 1:00:12 7:28-6:05 (7:19) Just felt horrible.  Late run (after 8 pm) just a really long day and a slog of a run
          14 14.01 1:42:06 7:54-6:57 (7:13)

Friday run got worse Saturday.  8 am decided to go on group run at last minute.  Started really slow...steady 7 min in the middle and kept pace and started struggling at mile 10....last two miles just hit a wall and felt horrible.  Quick turn around with only a cliff bar between runs...just ran out of energy. This was supposed to be in the 6:40-6:50 range but just didn't have it

11 11.17 1:15:57 7:00-6:32 (6:48)

After plenty of sleep and food, just felt great.  I saw my time at 5 miles and realized i was moving much faster than my planned easy run so i just cruised to the finish since yesterday was so slow.

65.8 67.5 Actual with striders      

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

kimba

Wait, I missed Keen’s result!  I don’t see it anywhere in the thread.  You guys are congratulating him on PR, but what was it ?!  Congrats, Keen!

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

paul2432

Kimba- Some of us follow each other on Strava so see early results that way (or just know each other’s real names and check the online results).  Unfortunately I don’t follow CK  or know his real name.

Pretty good week for me although a bit unbalance due to feeling a little wiped out middle of the week and some area fires making it too smoky to run much.

Monday - 5 easy TM

Tuesday - 8 roads with 11 ~200m pickups.  Working on turnover and tip end speed.

Wednesday - 5 easy roads

Thursday - 3 easy roads

Friday - 8.5 TM with som e tempo, although not quite as hard as my tempo the week before.
              Saturday - 15.5 easy roads, hot

Sunday - 18.5 super easy roads

Decided today that I’m going to do the LA marathon next year

Marky_Mark_17

Wait, I missed Keen’s result!  I don’t see it anywhere in the thread.  You guys are congratulating him on PR, but what was it ?!  Congrats, Keen!

I saw it on Strava and I was so pumped for him I had to spill the beans! I’ll leave it for him post the details on here.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Huge congrats to Jmac and Keen on their fast PB halfs.

Keen no need to doubt yourself anymore 

Flavio I haven't found a replay yet but that is a cool story.

Looks like he has got some decent results 1.01 half in 2012.

Hes got a decent name too 

Kimba yes most of us follow each other on Strava.

I've met and run with Mark but that was back when he was trying to break 90 mins for the half 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Flavio I haven't found a replay yet but that is a cool story.

Looks like he has got some decent results 1.01 half in 2012.

Hes got a decent name too 

I keep thinking that if I add Bekele and Gebre to my name, maybe I'll run faster.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Solid thinking

I keep thinking that if I add Bekele and Gebre to my name, maybe I'll run faster.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

This is some solid miles. Especially on the weekend.

Kimba- Some of us follow each other on Strava so see early results that way (or just know each other’s real names and check the online results).  Unfortunately I don’t follow CK  or know his real name.

Pretty good week for me although a bit unbalance due to feeling a little wiped out middle of the week and some area fires making it too smoky to run much.

Monday - 5 easy TM

Tuesday - 8 roads with 11 ~200m pickups.  Working on turnover and tip end speed.

Wednesday - 5 easy roads

Thursday - 3 easy roads

Friday - 8.5 TM with som e tempo, although not quite as hard as my tempo the week before.
                        Saturday - 15.5 easy roads, hot

Sunday - 18.5 super easy roads

Decided today that I’m going to do the LA marathon next year

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

kimba

Ah, yes, Strava.  I'm behind the ages with running tech.  Well good job, Keen!  I can't wait to hear the race report!

Mick: glad to hear your dorsiflexion was good!  One thing I would definitely add, and I think almost all runners should do, is eccentric gastroc/soleus training.  The two videos below give good examples:

https://runnersconnect.net/how-to-strengthen-your-calves-and-achilles-to-prevent-injury/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwDZySFdseM

The foot strength is important because they should be the first source of shock absorption, which requires them to have good mobility and muscle strength.  You also need good propulsive strength from the big toe - that contributes to the gastroc/soleus, and if the big toe strength is impaired, the gastroc/soleus complex will have to work a little harder, thus making them a bit more susceptible to strain.  Below are some good foot/toe exercises the ensure healthy, strong feet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OOJ9AQ1AEg

The foot video is a bit long.  I think the first 10 minutes is prob the most important if you're short on time.

Hope that's not too overwhelming.  But really, we as runners could do a lot of good preventing foot and lower leg injuries by doing more preventive strengthening work in those areas.

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

paul2432

Kimba - I've been incorporating some stuff from Jay Dicharry's book Running Rewired.  Wondering what you as PT think about his book?  There is so much stuff out there on running form, it is hard to know what to trust.

kimba

Kimba - I've been incorporating some stuff from Jay Dicharry's book Running Rewired.  Wondering what you as PT think about his book?  There is so much stuff out there on running form, it is hard to know what to trust.

Excellent resource!  He has lots of stuff available on the web, too.  Thanks for the reminder - anyone interested in foot health should check him out.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks, all!

James - Great job with all the consistency.

Mark - Great week!

Marco - So much travelling! Must give you some good opportunities for a world-spanning running heat map, even if it's not ideal for training overall.

Flavio - I'll gladly be a HM rabbit for you! Especially since your shorter distance PRs are something I need to try chasing down. Also, you and Mick need to stop talking about being ancient at 39 y/o, that's not far away for me!

DPS - Nice week, especially with some of them not feeling so great.

Piwi - Thanks! That thought occurred to me yesterday - with that 5000m TT and the HM PR I can be pretty darn confident in my current running abilities, even when it means chasing a time that's quite a bit faster than what I've done before. It's a nice feeling.

DWave - I like the nameology theory.

SO excited about how my half went (1:24:16)! My legs didn't feel great most of last week (somewhat odd considering lack of mileage) but felt fine on race day. I guess I need to start working on a RR.
                                I finished October with almost 353.9 miles - my most ever, even with cutting out 20 miles or so for the mini-taper and race last week. That puts this August, September, and October as three of my four highest mileage months ever.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: