Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Mark I'd imagine in a 10000m race the pacer would be a bit more professional coming from a track background and able to keep tabs of pace better as its lap by lap.

He's run 4 minutes flat for 1500, sub-15 for 5000, and has a 2:25 marathon (he won the national title that year), so yes I'm pretty confident he'll know what he's doing.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Apparently the 1:35 pacers did the same thing, in that they started at about 1:30 pace.

It was ok for me, as I was in better shape than I realized.  But if you were in 1:30 shape, you would have ran about 1:32

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nimmals - that's an interesting rule, never heard of that before! But it does show the errors that can occur in a marathon. They are unlike anything you experience in shorter races. I've run too fast in a half, and it only cost me about a minute at the end of the race. I've never met someone who ran a marathon and said "I really botched that, it cost me 2 minutes." When you screw up, it's 5+ minutes.

Pacers - I was just cautioning about using them early on. I really don't think you should latch on to any group early on with a given pace for that matter. How many times do you see these groups going too fast and having to say "slow down!" I guarantee you it occurs at over a 5:1 ratio of groups saying "we're too slow, we need to speed up."

I would just avoid them until you're at least 3 miles into the race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JMAC Yeah I learned that from an older marathoner who was amazing back in the days. I guess when you didn't have all the science we have now they came up with experiential rules and methods. I also do an old school dump out as well. I love to pick their brains. The only thing they love that i don't is steady state runs. That's one old school methodology i can do without.

Commander Keen, as an aging Quadragenarian, I enjoy browsing and learning in the forums. Just the other day I heard them talking about throwaway bathrobes in a beginner forum and I'm like holy shit that's a damn good idea. Expect to see me looking like Hugh Heffner at the next marathon replete with cigar and a glass of scotch in the corral.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Marky_Mark_17

Tested out the Vaporflies on the track this morning.  They'll definitely do the trick for tomorrow's race.  Honestly the legs were feeling a little bit sluggish, then I chucked the VF's on for the last effort and felt glorious all of a sudden.  I love those shoes.

Weather forecast is not great, but not terrible - 17C/63F, moderate northerlies and potential for some light showers.  I'm flying in only 3 hours before the race but it's only a short flight to Wellington (1 hour) so shouldn't be an issue (I hope).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Commander Keen - Big congrats on the half PR and great splits! You’ve got time to make even more fitness gains before your marathon next month so keep the momentum going and you might surprise yourself again on race day. 👍

Pacers - That conversation always interests me because I’ve been a half/full pacer on numerous occasions over the last 9 years. I’ve witnessed some shocking 3 hour pacing...1 year I was running London and averaging 6:40 pace at 10k and I could see the pacers in the distance at least a minute in front of me!  When I’m racing/pacing my data fields are time/distance/average mile pace/average overall pace. You can’t go wrong and I would always say run your own race and don’t rely on anyone else!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Slammin' - I've been looking for a big, fuzzy bath robe for Dallas next month and haven't found one yet. If I can find one I may re-use one of those foil blankets I've gotten from past races to line the inside for more warmth and to block the wind.

There's a guy who spectates the OKC Marathon every year who dresses like Heff. He wears a smoking jacket, brings down a chair (wingback, not collapsible), table, and reads a paper while watching everyone run past. He usually even has some music playing just for ambiance, too.

Mark - I'd imagine that VFs on a track would have a ridiculously springy feeling to it. How did it feel?

Mikkey - Thanks! I'm sure planning on pouring on some more miles and getting in some good workouts over the next few weeks (within reason, of course) to tack on what fitness I can.
                Have you seen the Race Screen CIQ app for Garmin watches? It's a great little data field that accounts for the "extra" distance we all end up running over a race, so when you hit the lap button manually it'll update the avg pace metric on it to display what your pace would be if you were perfectly running the tangents - without actually changing how the run is saved on your watch.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Slammin' - I've been looking for a big, fuzzy bath robe for Dallas next month and haven't found one yet. If I can find one I may re-use one of those foil blankets I've gotten from past races to line the inside for more warmth and to block the wind.

There's a guy who spectates the OKC Marathon every year who dresses like Heff. He wears a smoking jacket, brings down a chair (wingback, not collapsible), table, and reads a paper while watching everyone run past. He usually even has some music playing just for ambiance, too.

Does he play smooth jazz?  Please tell me it's smooth jazz.

Mark - I'd imagine that VFs on a track would have a ridiculously springy feeling to it. How did it feel?

Like gravity was considerably less applicable to me than normal (so yes, ridiculously springy).  It was crazy, I ran 3 short 5 minute moderate efforts, with a 90 second surge in the middle of each.  First couple I averaged around 3:45/km for the 5 minute blocks, legs feeling a bit bleh.  When I put the VF's on... more like 3:20/km overall with the surge at closer to 3:00/km (and it did not even feel like I was working that hard).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Does he play smooth jazz?  Please tell me it's smooth jazz.

Music varies. He will also bring down some sort of background or other decoration(s) and the music usually matches that theme. I've heard Beach Boys (beach/ocean setting) and Jazz (don't recall the setup for this one), but I can't remember what all else I've heard. Aside from family, that guy is easily my favorite spectator on the entire course.

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

keen - Pretty excited to see what you put up in the next 2 weeks before taper. Given what you did in the half, I'm expecting to see a lot of T work around 6:20 pace. You should follow similar to what I did, since you already did most of my schedule last month 

This Weekend: Long run of 22 progressing to MP+10%

Week of 11/11: 1E + 3T + 10E + 3T + 1E (no rest all during this), 2E + 14M + 2E

Week of 11/18: 8E + 4x2T + 2E, Long run of 22 progression to MP+10%

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

LR of 20-22 is on the docket for tomorrow, and I am planning on a progression of some sort. Out of curiosity, how do you handle water stops during these?
                        Plenty of T and M work coming up in the next couple weeks. I may do the 4-3-2-1 T workout instead of 4x2T - I like the longer stretches of T work, and longer intervals in general. Just more time under fatigue/stress. Though the odd idea just popped into my head of "how much harder would that be as 1-2-3-4 T?".

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - 4,3,2,1 is too much volume, although I guess if you do it 20,15,10,5 it's okay at your LT speed. Remember T work should max out at 10% of weekly mileage, so that's too much unless you plan on 100 miles this week.

Regarding water, once it's below 55 or so I don't take any water (assuming no sun). This past weekend it was 51 degrees out and I got 22 done without stopping once for anything, except 5 seconds for a stupid traffic light I mistimed. Your forecast tomorrow is bonkers, with a low of 38 and a high of 71??? I guess if you get this completed before it reaches 50, no water. If you get out too late, then I generally will stop for water a few times. If it's summer, I'm stopping for water every 2.5 miles or so.

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Had nightmares about getting lost and having to run the same segment of a marathon over and over (on a cross country course) last night.  Late runs in the dark and cold get into your subconscious.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I'd definitely be doing the run by minutes not miles. It's just faster to type it out in miles form. And I'll probably be getting mid-90's for mileage next week (likely this week as well), so volume wouldn't be off much either way.
                              What're your thoughts on reversing the order of the T mileage, and increasing the length of each going on? I know that would put the harder portion later, but I can't quite decide if I think that'll be harder or easier overall. Leaning towards harder.
                              Yeah, weather has been a bit crazy lately. We'll have decent weather for a while, then we've been getting 1-2 days of really cold (with storms more likely than not), then days like that when it gets nice an warm again. Monday is looking pretty crappy at this point...

I typically don't take water on runs myself unless the TDP has been near 135-140 or so. I find I don't get thirsty at all unless I'm 8+ miles in on a hot run. That's a complete change from last summer, though. Then I'd be sucking down 16 oz or so on 9 miles.
                              I typically like to keep moving for all of a run if at all possible - I figure it's better for strength/endurance and wanted to see how you do it.
                              I've surprised myself a few times on LRs when trying to do that. I'll tell myself that I want to keep going until I hit 10 miles or so (usual length of a daily easy run), but when I get there I'll put it off thinking "I'll just go until I get to the top of that hill" which becomes "I'll just run to that intersection", which turns into "I'm already 15 miles in, no sense stopping now that I'm just 2-3 miles from the house".

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Would not reverse the order. I think that's way harder, and I'm not sure the purpose of it besides just being a glutton for punishment.

Regarding water, I think once TDP drops below 130 you can just play it by ear on how you feel. Above 130, I find that I have to stop early on. If I wait until I'm thirsty, it's game over, as I can't get in enough water to replenish my sweat rate, and the run will end in me completely spent. Below 130, you can generally drink enough water to offset any increased dehydration.

I generally follow the way you think about it too. For my 22 this past weekend, I told myself "just see how you feel" and by mile 14 when I started to pick things up, I wasn't thirsty at all so I figured I might as well just get all the way home. Thirst can be tricky though when running as I find that unless I'm really thirsty, I need to think of something like gatorade and say "does that sound so refreshing right now, or just meh" to determine whether I'm thirsty.

Of course, all of this doesn't apply in a marathon. There, I will drink no matter what. For a half marathon, I will only stop at 1, 2 water stations max. I think it's hard to get so dehydrated in a half that it impacts performance unless it's over 70 degrees.