Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

watsonc123

Big congrats to Mark.

DPS - nice week.

Paul - sometimes after a period of high volume, the fatigue accumulates and you just need to take it easy.

Good training everyone else.

My week was bad.  Work issues and a few other commitments meant I trained very little.  And then on Friday evening, one of our cats got hit by a car and died, which was completely ruined Saturday (well, the whole weekend in reality, especially given she was only a little over a year old).  As the time I would have run was taken up by getting a lemon tree, digging her grave and having a funeral for her.  I managed to get a reasonable Sunday run in the evening.  This week should be a good week.

M 4.7km

T 0

W 13.0 km with 3.0-10.5km tempo and 4 * 200 m quicker intervals

T 11.7 km

F 0

S 0

S 16.2km with 2.0-16.2 km tempo

Total 45.6 km / 28.3 miles

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Cfarr - why are you holding off on the speed and tempos?  Just curious, as I am adding them in right now, slowly, and sometimes I question whether or not I should.

Kimba back in Jan. I was having an issue with my lower abs I continued to run through the issue at a slow pace as it was only an issue after a tempo or speed work.  I also at some point developed a groin issue as well.  Long story short I ran through about May and wasn't getting any better so I took 2 months off and have just slowly been building back my mileage base. I want to continue to ease back into it but will need to start proper training for Boston in a few weeks just trying to hold off as long as I can before I start any type of tempo or speed work.

DPS for sure as my intensity goes up the easy days will be easier although most of my run now are in the 9:30 to 10:30 pace as it is.

Paul hope you get to feeling better!

Watson Sorry to hear about your cat I currently have 3 myself and just lost one about a month ago due to old age.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Awesome job! I've got the RR queued up, can't wait to get through that.

Flavio - Good week.
        Definitely had some left in the tank. It does give me a good feeling going into Dallas to know that I ran a sub-maximal HM that still points to solidly sub-3. I'm certainly planning on keeping right at sub-3 pace until at least 20-22.

James - How's the college visits go?
        41 at the start seems great, and was about what my half was. Everyone around me seemed like they were shivering before the gun went off, but (for me at least) the cold always seems to disappear in the first half mile.

CFarr - Nice work getting the mileage up.

Kimba - Good job building back as well.
        If I'm coming back from anything I like to build up volume as much as possible before adding much intensity. Basically max out my training time/training load each week with easy stuff, then by adding in some speed work it lets me build up the training load more when I've already got a good base for it.

DPS - Nice week in the cold!

Watson - Sorry to hear about your cat.

Piwi - There is only one place in the entire OKC area that has public water fountains - a ~10mi/16k loop around one of the local lakes. Making LRs with the local running club has the benefits of having dedicated water stops put out, but otherwise I either carry mine or sometimes drop a bottle somewhere.

Perhaps I'm the only one around who hasn't had a running dream.
        91 miles for me last week. Almost all easy runs since I ran that half Sunday, with only a quick 3T on Thursday. Overslept my alarm Saturday by nearly two hours and was rewarded with a solo LR rather than a group one.

Back to two workouts this week and looking to get 90+ miles again. 34 days to go...
        I really wanted to do my workout today outside, but changed my mind when I looked at the weather. I was planning on 1E, 3T, 10E, 3T continuous, but when I got up and stepped out side and checked the weather forecast doing it on the roads went out the window. Temp was ~54/12.2 with a 20MPH/32KPH N wind and before I was through (2 hours later) the temp had dropped to ~33/.5, the wind picked up to 30mph/48kmh and it was raining. Quite frankly I simply had no idea how I could possibly dress for that (even if I did a ton of loops in town and didn't do my usual big loop) and not have to stop at some point to put on clothes so went to the treadmill. Ran out of time to do the 1-2mi of cool-down I wanted, but am satisfied with it overall.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm always a weekday poster, but this board goes nuts on the weekends!

Mark - I really enjoyed your RR, I think it was your best one yet. The reason I say that is maybe because I got to see more of your inner thoughts. Did you find that race to be more painful than others? I've never heard you describe redlining that vividly. I always wondered whether you truly did, as we've always spoke about how I redline earlier than you, but what you described sure sounds as bad as mine have ever been. That, or you're just not a complainer like me 

Corey - nice week. On strength training, now is the time to do it! Once you get deep into that Boston cycle, it's going to be even more difficult. You have to "pre-hab" when you're base building to set yourself up for success. I hate doing it myself, but even 20 minutes once a week is going to make a huge difference.

Regarding when to start up something besides base building, you should definitely be adding strides in at this point 2-3x a week. After that, I would do a 20 minute tempo run once a (or every other) week. They're pretty easy to do and gets you back into that faster mindset without breaking down your body.

James - I'm a cold runner myself, I'm running faster than almost everyone else in CP (not a brag, just that I should be generating more heat) but I'm wearing the most clothing. Low 40's and wind can be a tough temp to dress for in a race. I would probably go singlet, arm warmers, gloves. If you run really cold, put on a long sleeve throw away on top.

Steve - this is not a crack at Kiwis, but what do you consider "warm?" Generally, you should never need fluids for any run around 60 minutes, even if the TDP is 160 degrees. I get really dehydrated, but there's no need to do that on an easy run. I'll drink one time if it's a 75 minute run. The biggest thing is just going in very hydrated to every run.

DPS - we've seemed to gone straight from perfect fall running weather to winter. What happened to those beautiful 45 degree days?

paul - hopefully you're not sick! whenever you lose energy like that, sometimes that's the case.

Watson - ugh that is just awful, sorry to hear. It's great that you actually did something nice like that for her

Keen - good job on the treadmill. How did those final 3T feel? They were really rough for me, got it done, but found the last mile of that to be like race effort. My glutes were seizing up and I thought my legs were going to give out.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Me - This was the week that told me 2:3X is a go for CIM. First, it was my longest week ever, so hitting big workouts was a huge confidence booster in the middle of it. I hit a good TLT workout on Wednesday, the most important part of which was that I was hitting a solid Easy pace in the 7:0X range. More importantly though, I was able to go for 14 @ MP right around 6:00 pace. It was one of those training runs where everything went right. The whole time I was working hard to slow myself down as I was trying to hit 6:00-6:05 but kept coming in at 5:XX. The thing that bothered me a little bit in that run was that I was thinking "If I can run 5:47 pace for some of these miles fairly easily, I want to go out and run a real half effort!" It's a bummer that I haven't run a half in absolute peak shape in years at this point. I really do think I could get sub 1:15, but that's for another day. Anyway, the other great thing about this run was that I wasn't spent at the end of 14. I was able to run the last mile relatively quickly, and could have gone for another 2 easily and potentially 4 more.

I don't know what to do for race day now. I think I'm going to try to run it exactly I did this one: try to keep it between 6:00-6:05 and if it creeps higher, just take the gas off the pedal a little bit. I don't think I'll be shooting for sub 6:00 on race day.

Now it's just time to get one more good week in, then get through the taper without any issues (you guys on this forum know that's not possible for me )

Day Miles Description
            Mon 7.0 Recovery
            Tue 11.5 EZ + Strides
            Wed 18.0 1E + 3T + 10E + 3T + 1E (T around 5:38)
            Thu 7.0 Recovery
            Fri 11.5 EZ
            Sat 9.0 EZ + Strides
            Sun 18.0 2E + 14M (5:58) + 2E
            Total 82.0  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - You're sure right about that. I'm always 2-3 whole pages behind when I check in on Monday!

The final 3T didn't seem much worse than the first ones. My legs were a bit tight to start off with after the LR, but loosened up nicely after bumping up the speed, and that whole cycle seemed to repeat itself for the second set. That's just a lot of easy running between T sections!

Pacing on for those sections was a bit weird - for anything regarding pace I use the pace coming from Stryd - trying to keep the T sections about 6:20/mi today. At the same time, it felt a bit easy and the power output from Stryd was less than what I averaged during my half (it would partially be low because there's no wind to counter) - so based on that I should have upped the speed. That's more what I did for the 3T from last week that looked fast - I actually split the difference there between what would be 6:20 pace and what Threshold would be based on power, so that one was fast based on pace but low based on power.

You had a great week last week, especially capping it off with that super-solid LR.

Upcoming Races:

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

JMac - we have been cheated.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JamesD

JamesD

Keen - College visits, to the U of South Carolina and Furman, were fun.  Our son wants to go to a large university in a city, like SC, while DW & I think a smaller place would be better for him.  He’s only a junior, so we have time to persuade him, but in the end it’ll be his call.

As for the race weather, 41 & windy at the start is definitely not great for me.  At 6 feet and 128 lbs, my surface area-to-mass ratio is about as high as it gets, so I lose heat quickly. After I warm up, I’ll be waiting sweaty for 15 minutes at the start while the organizers and the army base commander talk (this is the race’s last year, so they’ll want to say a little extra) and a child sings the national anthem as slowly as possible, and I’m concerned about shivering so much at the starting line that I’ll lose a lot of heat & energy.  May warm up in one top/beanie/neckwarmer and towel off and change into my racing top & beanie at the last minute.

JMac - See above.  Singlet is not happening.  Have been trying to decide which long-sleeved shirt to wear with gloves.  Hadn’t thought of arm warmers - thanks for the idea. Maybe a short-sleeved shirt and arm warmers with gloves would be warmer & have less wind resistance.  One good thing about the course is that it’s shaped like a lopsided 3-leaf clover around the start/finish area, so DW can see me at miles 1 & 7 and take gloves & beanie as I warm up.

P.S.  Great week!

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - this is not a crack at Kiwis, but what do you consider "warm?" Generally, you should never need fluids for any run around 60 minutes, even if the TDP is 160 degrees. I get really dehydrated, but there's no need to do that on an easy run. I'll drink one time if it's a 75 minute run. The biggest thing is just going in very hydrated to every run.

I was only meaning fluids on a long run - anything > 90 mins.  I can get away with it in winter but if I'm running for 90-120 minutes I start to get dry when it is moderately warm.  By moderately I mean about 25 degrees C - not hot for most activities, but starts to have an impact after 2 hours of running.  I'll just pre-hydrate on any run < 90 minutes.

I did live in Melbourne for 9 years and have run in 40+ degrees (C) so I do know what actual hot weather is (I never would have tried 90+ minutes in that weather though).

watson - sorry to hear about that, not a good way to spend a weekend (and subsequent days).

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - I know you can take the hot weather as seen by your tour of the south in the USA, but just curious when you start taking water. 90 minutes definitely makes sense. I used to take water on 60 minute runs and realized it was useless, so was just asking for that reason. I find that 90 minutes in very hot weather is bearable, it's when you get to 120 minutes that shit really hits the fan.

James - As someone who perpetually runs cold, arm warmers are a life saver. I find often that my core is completely fine on some runs, but my forearms and wrists are frozen. Arm warmers are great as they add an extra layer of warmth while allowing your core to still be free, plus you can always ditch them if they get too hot.

I also think you take the cake for the most built to run. I think Keen is in second, and then me. Funny that Mark isn't on there and still smokes us.

keen - never got into the power thing, seems interesting. Your weather is so bizarre. I haven't stepped foot on a treadmill in about a year.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - I know you can take the hot weather as seen by your tour of the south in the USA, but just curious when you start taking water. 90 minutes definitely makes sense. I used to take water on 60 minute runs and realized it was useless, so was just asking for that reason. I find that 90 minutes in very hot weather is bearable, it's when you get to 120 minutes that shit really hits the fan.

The answer is - I don't.  So when I say I need to work on my fluid strategy, I mean I actually need a fluid strategy Smile

I'm quite warm blooded - I don't get as cold as other people - but I start sweating pretty early even in not overly hot conditions.  Some people seem to have no issues with it, so I think it's very much an individual thing rather than 35 degrees C is hot, 25 is not.

It's only November...I need to save some of this weather talk with 3-4 months of summer left and the hottest part of the year still 2 months away!  I'm going to Australia over Christmas + New Years - Melbourne for a huge cricket match (I'm sure you'll be watching in NYC) and Perth for a wedding.  I should hold off too much weather talk until then.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

kimba

Hmm, I thought  had posted, but I came back to check for responses, and it seems I never actually hit post after writing my reply!  Damn.  It was kind of long, too.  I'm going to try to hit the main points here:

1) Watson - ,I'm so sorry to hear about your cat.  I love cats and have always had at least 1.  I hope you and your family are doing okay.

2) JMac - I started on the indoor track last week and as I mentioned, I'm not sure doing the club work-outs is the best for my training.  Those work-outs sometimes turn into races and I fall into the trap of being a "Work-out hero, racing zero."  Especially now that I'm focusing on the HM rather than the shorter distances, I need to avoid that trap.  What do you recommend for track work-outs for HM training?  And when would you incorporate them?  I am going to join the tempo run with the club tomorrow morning and will do that 2x/month.  I'm not sure if I should do track work-outs on the other weeks or if I should just do my speed work while doing my regular runs on the roads.  Any advice appreciated!  I've only done one HM so don't have a lot of confidence here.

3) Cfarr - wise move to proceed with caution after an ab problem.  Anything with abs/pelvic girdle is very tough to recover from.  Glad you're doing better!  My discomfort from the other day has decreased steadily, even with doing a 9 mile run.  I barely feel it today.  Fingers crossed it was just a fluke from running on the indoor track.

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - sorry to hear about your cat, that wouldn't have been a great weekend.

JMac - I've redlined hard like that before, pretty much all of my PB's and plenty of other races, but I think the nature of a 10,000m race made it a lot more noticeable.  A long track race like that is much more of a mental battle than a 10k road race, because it's not like there's any scenery or much else to distract from the suffering.  Just lap after lap of grind and feeling progressively worse.

Anyway saw your workout on Strava, really positive signs especially given the volume in the legs.  There's heaps of other chances for you to nail a good half and I'm excited to see how you go at CIM.  I'm just hoping that the severity of the taper madness is not directly linked to the quality of the training buildup!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

James - I'm not a stocky guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I've got a little more than an inch on you but also a solid 30 pounds - it doesn't surprise me at all you'd get cold easier than I do.
                              Maybe shorts/singlet, but with arm warmers and gloves to start the race (plus extra warm-up clothes for before)? That combo has served me well before - usually I'll use those thin gloves they give away at an expo and thick tube socks with holes cut for my fingers (plus one for a watch-window) so I don't feel bad when I warm up and need to toss them mid-race.

Steve - I agree with JMac's run duration guide for taking water. I ended up trying a few different water-carrying methods over the summer once it started getting really hot.

JMac - My arms/hands are all that really gets cold on runs, too. I can't remember a time when I've under-dressed so badly (for me) that my core or legs ever got cold. My forearms or hands are another story, though.
                              I know not many are in to the running power thing, but I'm a big fan. It gives you a single number to hit for any intensity - no need to adjust that number when on flats vs uphill vs downhill - or even adjust by wind. And since any platform you track running power by will build a power/duration curve for you (how long can you hold a certain amount of power) it gives you great pacing targets for different race distances/durations that are based on your exact performance.

Our weather certainly is bizarre. I'm kinda situated in a place where hot/humid air from the Gulf of Mexico mixes with cold/dry air from Canada, which is why we get so many tornadoes and our weather can change very rapidly. We'll get colder over night and into tomorrow morning (15/-9.4) but the wind will die down, but after that our weather should "even out" and be more normal for the next week or so.

Small dad-brag: DD3 can say "running"! I was getting on the treadmill in the garage for a short double earlier and DW went to grab something out of the car with DD3 on her hip. I waved to her and DD3 pointed and said "running!" in an excited tone. Makes daddy so happy! DW just rolled her eyes.

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - fair enough, racing and training for them is stress inducing, you’ll probably outlive us all.

Marco - LOL, yeah your weather is horrendous. I hope you’re traveling business class at least.

James - I can see Jmac already provided some feedback re the cold. Go out and have a blast, you have been very consistent and the cold weather should lead you to a PR.

Corey - It’s good to see you found some consistency again.

Kimba - the indoor track would scare me, those turns look very tight.

Steve - I stop at a hut and buy a bottle of water on the warmest days.

Dps - they actually felt easy, too easy. Let’s see how I can progress, I still have 12 weeks to gain fitness.

Mark - to be fair IIRC you’re only doing maintenance and you’re already strong enough for running. I can see that because you maintain your form almost to the finish line.
                                On my end I’m trying to do more than 6 pull up reps in one set, as you can see I have a long way to go.

Paul - smart of you to have some extra rest.

Watson - sorry to year about the cat

Jmac - that was a monster of a workout. You’re primed for something special.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly