Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Marky Mark - You can call this downhill race a legit PR if it makes you feel good....but it isn’t really a legit PR. 😁

I'm not really fussed what anyone else thinks of it.  If I run a damn good race I'll own the result and decide what to do with it.  I race to push my own limits and see what I can achieve; I've never really cared how my PR's stack up relative to others - unless you're Kipchoge, there's always someone faster than you. That PR line in my sig is there to provide motivation as much as celebration; I know I can do better than the current 5,000m and FM times.

The only time I really directly compare myself to other runners is when I'm a realistic shot at a placing and I'm trying to figure out the competition (or if I'm trying to figure out if I've got anyone to work with in a race).  Auckland and NZ are small enough scenes that I tend to know a lot of the runners and what their current form and recent performances are like so that's a more helpful comparator for me than PR's.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DPSchumaker  that video was a good laugh. It does kinda sum up our casual Kiwi way of life.

Mark I like Jacinda. She seems down to earth and a good person. I understand that doesn't always make for a good business type person but give me her over Trump anyday.

Flavio yeah I've moved into holiday mode  surfing and kayak fishing. I won $1000 of top Shimano gear in a lucky draw fishing comp last week. It's the equivalent of having 3 pairs of Nike next % sent to me 

Still getting out for a daily 8km run which will seem pathetic to you lot but still identifies me as crazy runner guy amongst non runners I know 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark I like Jacinda. She seems down to earth and a good person. I understand that doesn't always make for a good business type person but give me her over Trump anyday.

I'd sort of agree with that.  I guess it's not her fault she's been promoted way way beyond her ability.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I'd sort of agree with that.  I guess it's not her fault she's been promoted way way beyond her ability.

Best described as 'mostly harmless'.  She's likeable but not very effective as a leader - has tended to avoid making the hard calls.  She got the top job because the party perceived she had a strong ability to win votes, which bears no resemblance to her (lack of) ability to actually get things done.

Contrast that with previous PM's John Key (likeable and very effective) and Helen Clark (not especially likeable but also very effective).  I've no doubt Jacinda is a good person but that doesn't always make for a good Prime Minister.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

You guys are so civil talking about your politicians. In the US, we can’t speak about any candidate across the political spectrum without starting a war.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

You guys are so civil talking about your politicians. In the US, we can’t speak about any candidate across the political spectrum without starting a war.

My father in law watches quite a lot of Fox News.  I think your media have certainly played a role in polarising people very strongly one way or the other.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I find Fox News less biased than any of the others (a couple of hosts excluded).  Brett Baier is great, especially when you compare to someone like Rachel Maddow.

2024 Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Can I complain about the weather if I get swept up in a tornado tonight?  Crazy weather out there

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Can I complain about the weather if I get swept up in a tornado tonight?  Crazy weather out there

Does the tornado have Wifi?

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Ha, I was assuming I survived but may be a big assumption. Turns out I got a break between 2 storm fronts, wind died down, nice and cool, could not have been more perfect

2024 Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I remember watching the start of your election vote count at JFK airport when coming back from the NYC marathon in 2016 and I said to my wife that Trump would win it. He was up against Hillary Clinton and had no real credible competition.

The UK is just as bad as US...we had a referendum in 2016 to leave the EU and it still hasn’t happened. 75% of the politicians in parliament voted against leaving and they’ve done everything they can to stop it and block the democratic vote. Some politicians live in a bubble and have no clue what the average person on the street thinks or wants!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Are you guys talking about bad politicians? please hold my beer 

Humble brag I know but Peter Zeihan mentioned recently that Brazilian politics are very entertaining.

Even the directors of House of Cards know what's up!

https://twitter.com/houseofcards/status/710244596844986368?lang=en

You Kiwis should be on your knees one hour every day thanking the gods for the politicians you got 

In running news, I got super tired after yesterday's workout, I'm not sure if it's the shoes approaching end of their lifetime or just me with extra fatigue with the recent increase in mileage.

Anyway, after a nap yesterday afternoon today's run was ok, let's see how this afternoon's strength session goes and tomorrows 14 @ long run pace.

On Sunday I've got 12 x  800 at projected HMP with 400 jogs, that will be interesting.

My feeling is if I can complete these HMP runs in current weather, there's a good chance I could be aiming for 1h23 come race day since it will likely be a cold day.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Keen that terrible that guy was hit and killed.   We just had a local family of 3 that was walking along the road on the way home from a park hit by a car the child was killed and the parents are still in the hospital.

I started running on the roads near my house myself but quickly realized this is not where I need to be running so I drive 20 minutes to run in a safer environment.

DPS nice week hope you get over your injuries

Paul , Watson nice week as well

Mark getting up at 4 and 5 am is dedication I'm usually up by 5 myself but I usually can't get out the door until after 6am if I'm going to try and get in a morning run.  Not to continue the debate but I agree with you on the PR it's yours, you claim it if you want.  after all these are PR's not National, World or Olympic records, they are personal. I am out here competing against myself, the times I claim are for me.  I don't look at others PR's and compete or try and beat them (not that I can cause I'm pretty slow).  The only time I am trying to get a better time than someone else is in a head to head competition at a race and everyone is dealing with the same course and conditions.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It's very hard to find unbiased news in the US. The best you can do is have a subscription to something like the NYT and the WSJ to get perspective on both sides.

Mikkey - I knew you would be a Boris fan 

Flavio - yeah you definitely have the worst politicians, hands down. That 12x800 workout doesn't look too difficult, unless the 400s are uptempo. You'll do great.

Corey - that's crazy you need to drive somewhere. Although NYC is absolute chaos, it's nice to have Central Park to get the majority of my mileage in given there are no cars allowed.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

I'm not really fussed what anyone else thinks of it.  If I run a damn good race I'll own the result and decide what to do with it.  I race to push my own limits and see what I can achieve; I've never really cared how my PR's stack up relative to others - unless you're Kipchoge, there's always someone faster than you. That PR line in my sig is there to provide motivation as much as celebration; I know I can do better than the current 5,000m and FM times.

I really like this response. I find that we often get way too caught up on PR's, myself included. Yeah, I understand and agree with darkwave that this is inherently a competition and is a comparative sport. But I think it often leads to a hyper focus on PR's, with nothing else counting. You often see the "if it's not a pr, what's the point?" attitude. The most common way this pops up is with weather conditions. The, "well this cycle has been great, but the weather sucks so bad on race day that I know I won't have a shot at PRing, so I'll just jog it."  But you also see it in other forms, like "I'm so far behind in my training that I know I won't be able to PR, so I'm going to just go back to running 20 miles per week until it's time to race." Or, as in this example, "it's a downhill course that I won't be able to claim as a PR, so no need to go all out, or better yet, I'll just skip it despite it being a fun looking race."

I've always admired those that go all out, regardless of the course profile or the conditions on that given day (Mark and JMac certainly come to mind, but there have also been some stellar all-out performances at Boston over the years in crap weather). In 2017 I was lining up for the Houston half and it was 63 with nearly 100% humidity. It sucked (in my mind). And I was there at the start thinking I'll just go out at a hard effort. I hadn't trained all that well, and there was no chance I'd PR in those conditions. I then ran in to a guy I had met at Boston 8 months earlier. He had trained all winter in Pittsburgh for the Houston full marathon, so the weather should have been a much bigger shock to him. I asked him if he was going to scale things back. His response was "nope, weather isn't great, but I'm still going to go out at 100%. That might make the pace a little slower, but well see what the time ends up being." He ended up running a 2:45:06 (his goal was sub 2:45). (Myself, on the other hand, decided to follow his lead, but without as great of a result. I went out hard, despite my training and the conditions. The pace was a little slower than the year before, I felt the lack of training at the end, and so ended up 1:30 behind my PR from the year before. But in the end I was way happier having gone for it, then deciding to just go at a medium hard effort.)

Like I said, I find myself in the "PR's are everything" position often. But I try hard to not fall for these traps. Because the day will come when I'm no longer physically able to PR at any distance. And when that day comes, I'd like to still be running and at a higher than a jog-twice-a-week level.

Upcoming races: Boston