Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DJ - yeah it was a 5 miler with 4 laps of 2k each in the local park. Unfortunately they no longer do that race series due to budget cuts.

Piwi - it looks like we share the same niggles and symptoms. On the bright side, you are putting on consistent 50 mile weeks.

Mark - I remember reading Canova where he talked about super workouts which lead to super compensation.

He’d gather 2 tough workouts back to back, but then would provide double the recovery days for his athletes. Is that something your coach is going for with the back to back on Sat/Sun?

James - Every time I read Georgia I think the country but it’s almost always the state heh.

Steve - it might very well be a nutrition issue. That said, at least in my case, I’ve learned that rolling the glutes with a tennis ball helps a lot when I have tight calves.

me -

M: functional training

T: 4x (400@1:26+0:45 rest + 600@2:12 + 1:00 rest + 800@3:00 + 1:15 rest) (4k warmup 2k cool down)

W: 10 easy

T: Planned Fartlek 4x (1k@5:00 + 1k@4:30 + 1k@4:00). Unfortunately I still had dead legs from the Tuesday workout and I had to abort half way. I had lost posture and it was like I just hit the marathon wall.

Splits: 4:59 4:42 3:58 4:46 4:10 4:14 and jog back home.

F: functional training

S: 18@4:37

S: 9 easy

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

I wrapped up my week today with 11.6, I was going to go a bit farther but had a few GI issues so stopped short.

got in 40+ again this week all nice and very slow no workouts of any kind it seems to have helped my lower abdomen a bit. I didn't notice it so much today I'll think I go another week with mainly easy runs.

Flavio nice week.

Weekly Summary
      Monday, Jan 21, 2019 thru Sunday, Jan 27, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description Link
      Mon 4.4 9:31 Afternoon Run strava
      Tue 2.0 10:13 Evening Run strava
      Wed 4.0 10:31 Evening Run strava
      Thu 1.1 10:09 Evening Run strava
      Fri 5.0 9:47 Evening Run strava
      Sat 13.6 9:25 Lunch Run strava
      Sun 11.6 9:11 Afternoon Run strava
        41.7 9:33  

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Cfar nice week. I think it was Rune who had a hernia op last year ?

Watson good luck on the sub 20 5k. Yes lots of hot air coming out of Australia and not just their cockiness 

James good week.

Mark very nice workouts and good incentive to go for it at that half.

Steve you will soon know if it was a one off twinge or a strain. I had a sharp pain out of mine a few months ago and walked home but it was fine after that....until I actually strained it.

Flavio nice week. I can see your coach's influence with the variety now.

I've got 12 and 11 miles back to back Tuesday and Wednesday. Should be ok but will have to run at 5am so I start work on time.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

matthewfschwartz

Piwi- Great week, way to finish it off with a strong long run! What race(s) do you have coming up?

Mark- Another great week from you, although I'm kinda curious what's up with  the track session then a long run with surges two days in a row? Is there any concern from you or your coach that could lead to injury or lack of recovery?

James and watson- both good weeks from you two

dj- You should look into strava, I'd be interested to see more of your data!

Cfarr- hope your stomach/abdomen sorts itself out here pretty quick

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Tue 12.5 3:35 Fartlek back in Manhattan strava
          Wed 28.0 3:12 Cruisin strava
          Thu 20.0 2:59 Moderate strava
          Fri 13.0 3:27 Ez pz strava
          Sat 2.5 3:59 WU strava
          Sat 17.0 2:38 Tempo strava
          Sat 2.5 3:59 CD strava
          Sun 26.5 3:23 Easy long ride strava
            122.0 3:14    

Putting in some more miles on the bike this week, Monday was an off day due to travel, but I was able to get some quality in otherwise. I am scheduled for a PT appointment this week, so hopefully I will be able to get back running here in another week or two! If anyone has any advice how I should approach the 9-10 weeks (hopefully) I will have to train for Boston that would be greatly appreciated. Prior to injury I had 4-5 weeks of base training and with the last 4 weeks of biking, I should have maintained a decent aerobic ability. The limiting factor in my return will definitely be mileage and neuromuscular weakness. Increasing mileage slowly but steadily is the fairly obvious option, but do y'all think I'll have enough time to sharpen, or should I just continue with the base phase all the way? (Base phase consisting of mostly easy miles until I am ready for moderate (1/2 pace), fartlek, tempo (3/4) efforts as well as some strides)

PR's: 800 - 2:01.9, 1600 - 4:34.4, 3 mile - 16:00, Full Marathon - 2:54:49

Goals: Break 1:20 HM, Break 2:45 FM, Break 34:00 10k, Break 16:00 5k

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link

Matt nice cross training on the bike. I've been following you on Strava. I think you will need to test the waters once you start running again and see how you feel.

I've got a marathon in April in England but apart from that I don't really have any racing motivation.

Mark a young guy who lives just down the road from me beat Nick Willis in an 800m recently. Sam Tanner is his name. He ran a 1.49.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

matthew, impressing cross-training! Piwi, looks to me that you are getting back on track, with some experience and a bit of luck you might be able to get a good marathon in England! After that the motivation for racing may just come back Smile

Flavio nice week, it seems to me that the coach thing is working out well for you. And you seem happy with the group right?

ME: quick note from last week (as I cannot stay too long in front of the screen...)

I ran my first cross-country in years (more than 15 years...) it was tough, with mud up our ankles and lots of steep inclines both downhill and up hill... it was about 7.5 K (probably a bit shorter) and I managed to get around, which was good considering the miles I am logging at the moment and the absence of speed work).

I also managed 58 miles this week. Unfortunately during the race I hurt my eye (a branch I only saw last minute) so the day after I had to go out a bit later and could only run 13 miles and today I am recovering. I am still happy with the mileage and if I can get back on top of it tomorrow I should be good.

leg are a bit sore for the different type of running (mud and inclines), but I guess this is good.

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

dj_dubb

Keen - didn't get a chance to do much at all in the Tulsa area actually. I was already kind of tight with the flight out for timing, and I took extra time to thaw myself out back at the hotel also. Way to stick with the 5x1k, sometimes it's very easy to talk yourself right out of a Q session.

Piwi - nice week and big run on Sunday there. Good game last night, thought they were going to let the Bucks back in it at the end though, just about did.

Mark - killer HM pace session. I always found it harder to break up a session at HM pace. 2x 5k at HM pace with a rest between just killed be the times I tried it. Had much better luck with a straight thru tempo. Tell me about your track day, what sort of pace/effort on the 200s and 800s?

Watson - nice week, and all the best at the Tuesday (today for you?) 5k.

Flavio - what's functional training? and I apologize if I missed you explaining that.

Marco - of all the things that could go wrong in a cross country mudder event, you take one in the eye. Sounds like a tough race overall.

Very boring week for me, zero quality, but that's more a weather/travel related problem than a race recovery issue. Not even worth posting it really, mostly steady easy runs on the TM.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Nice week, even if it was "light". This past summer I had those same calf spasms. They really hurt at the time, might have left a tender spot when I woke up, but just like you said never caused an issue with my running. Looking forward to what you do at Coatesville again.
                  I don't think the niggles are anything but annoying. Hopefully I can get those worked out before long.

CFarr - Hernia was one of my first thoughts, too. Been there, done that. "Discomfort", not pain, was all I had when I had mine. Well, that and my guts sticking out of a hole in my abdominal wall. Thank you Dr. Buendia!

James - Good job getting the runs in despite the colder weather.

Steve - I agree with Mark on your LR issues. Sounds very much like hydration/electrolytes to me.

Watson - Tuesday night 5k? Sounds odd. Good luck, though!

Matt - Great job on the cross training. I'm with Piwi about the return to running. Maybe try a couple workouts to see how you respond.

Marco - Bummer on the eye. Hopefully no real damage there.

DJ - Bummer that you missed out on checking things out in Tulsa. I certainly don't blame you for wanting to thaw out after that race, though!

Bleh. In the interest of helping rid myself of two niggles I decided to skip the LR Saturday. I used the weekend to do lots of stretching (largely using a Stretch Out Strap I was gifted for Christmas) and plenty of rolling as well. Flexibility seems to have improved a little already, which is surprising to me, but I plan on keeping up with this. I've discovered that my flexibility in my left hip is FAR greater than that in my right - perhaps that was a contributing factor to my injury ~15 months ago. Unfortunately, missing that one run I think also contributed to me skipping today (so far). I may still get out during lunch for a few quick miles and I'll just move my planned workout to tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm just not feeling a real burning desire to get out and run. Maybe I need to pick a solid goal race (of any length) for the fall so I can have something to really look forward to and prepare for.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Matt - You hit the nail on the head: your endurance is there but your tendons/ligaments will not be. The rule of thumb generally is to take as many easy days as you took off. I'm not sure where you're at, but I think it's weeks at this point. You probably can cut that rule in half given how intensely you've been biking (which is super impressive btw, I just got lazy during my downtime). I would think if you came back running this week, you need at least 2 weeks of just easy stuff, possibly 3. You can get in some good marathon training in 6 weeks if needed.

Piwi - See my note below, we need to worry about consistency. I think if you can just keep it around 55-60 mpw until your marathon, you'll be set. If you try to go to 70 quickly, you're going to get injured. We need to stop doing this to ourselves! Also, you should get a race or two on the calendar. You can get rusty from not racing, and you don't want the marathon to be your first race this entire year.

Corey - JT over in the sub 3 thread just had surgery for a hernia, he's recovered quite nicely. I had some weird pain in my groin that sometimes felt in my low abdomen, so I was panicking about a hernia, but it went away with my 12 days off for my injury. Hopefully you experience some relief as well.

Mark - Will add to the list. Why did your coach add it?

Steve - Sounds like common heat cramps. I've never experienced them but I know people get them a lot when it's hot out, especially in their calves. Unfortunately, the science in this area is lacking, as the idea that it was due to electrolytes has been questioned recently.

Watson - Good week, good luck in the 5k!

Flavio - Your coach has made huge strides in your training, I think it's worth whatever you're paying.

Marco - Haven't run a XC race myself in 15 years, have no desire to do one!

Keen - You definitely need more goal races, even though you do have a couple this spring. I'm not used to running this little, it's a little unsettling.

Me - First week that looks like marathon training in a while. Tuesday's run was supposed to be much tougher, but I was exhausted from the long weekend and also still was a bit sick, so I bailed on most of the tempo work. Was able to get a good one in on Saturday though. PTT is slowly but surely getting there. It was definitely sore after Saturday's run, but felt fine during my recovery run Sunday. I would say it's about 90% of the way there, which is very encouraging. Still sticking with all my exercises and stretches though, I know once you get lazy it comes right back! Going to up it to 65 miles this week, but I know I need to be careful with going up from there as my peak last cycle was 70-75. I'm never quite sure how fast you can come back from injury/time off after a previous marathon. Not sure whether I should try to get back to 75, or just put in a bunch of 65-70 weeks instead. Probably doesn't make a difference, except that more mileage leads to injury, but I'm always tempted to push myself. Probably still an area I need to learn more about my body, and one where I should definitely listen to it instead of coming up with a set schedule. . Anyway, goal is to have no weeks under 50 from here until the week before Boston.

I'm officially making my goal of Boston a PR. I feel like my legs are coming back and I can give it a go. Goal for NYC Half will be sub 1:19.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Mon 8.2 7:28 Afternoon Run strava
                    Tue 12.8 7:28 ETE strava
                    Thu 10.0 7:30 Evening Run strava
                    Fri 8.0 7:28 Evening Run strava
                    Sat 16.5 7:11 2E + 2x2T + 7E + 2T + 1E strava
                    Sun 6.0 8:01 Afternoon Run strava
                      61.5 7:27  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

brentnet

Flavio - If I didn't know you, I'd read your workouts and think you were a monster.

cfarr - Solid week of 40! Looks like you are making progress!

PK - Looks like you are joining my philosophy of running at awful times? Speaking of Nick Willis - he was on Twitter the other day saying he feels bad for the youth of today because they didn't get a chance to grow up with the Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan as heroes. I knew I liked that guy...

matthewfschwartz - What's your goal for Boston? Run fast or just to be able to run it and enjoy the run? 9-10 weeks is more than enough to be able to finish a decent marathon, but might leave you a little undertrained for running a PR.

ocramireob - 58 is a really great week. My best running is when I'm consistently around that range. Good job! Sounds like a fun race minus the injury!

DJ - Let's not go too hard on "easy runs on the treadmill." That's my bread and butter 

CommanderKeen - I might be the least flexible person and least motivated stretcher in the entire running community. My 8-year old daughter who is big into gymnastics likes to poke fun at my lack of flexibility.

JMAC - That's a really good week of training. I'm in week 2 of marathon training so I'm just getting back in the swing of things too. What kind of time are you shooting for (I know you said PR).

Me - Had a real start/stop week. I had a bunch of easy days or total rest days. I had three rather easy workouts and I got a 17 mile long run in. So it seemed like my running was like really good or 3-4 miles or rest. Wound up with 50 miles which is the basement goal for every week. I'm trying to make it a goal of having no weeks below 50 this year. So far, I've made it thru January which, for me, is a really busy month. If I can do it thru Feb and March, as well, I'd be thrilled. I coach basketball so my life slows down a lot once April hits.

matthewfschwartz

CK- Keep working on that flexibility, that's something I have been working on too. That's one thing that I have been bad at neglecting that I think played a part in my patellar tendinitis.

Jmac- I'll definitely have to play it by ear and see how the next few weeks go. It's a fine line between having a sense of urgency and rushing it. I'll definitely give it 2-3 easy weeks to build up some mileage then slowly work in some 1/2 pace (moderate) efforts and strides. Finally I should be able to get some fartleks and tempos in depending on how I feel.

Brent- My A goal for Boston is sub 2:45:00, B goal is sub 2:50, C goal is to finish. My PR is 2:54:49 which I ran four weeks after finishing up my last high school track meet (I was an 800m guy). I know if I'm in shape I can run much faster than 2:54:49 as I had a lot left in the tank with 10k to go. I will most likely have to drop the 2:45:00 goal pending how quick I am able to get back to speed, but I'd like to still go sub 2:50:00. To answer your question, I want to go as fast as possible, not just run it for fun, although I am hoping it will be fun as well haha

PR's: 800 - 2:01.9, 1600 - 4:34.4, 3 mile - 16:00, Full Marathon - 2:54:49

Goals: Break 1:20 HM, Break 2:45 FM, Break 34:00 10k, Break 16:00 5k

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - oh I didn't realise Sam Tanner lived near you?  He beat Nick Willis' U19 NZ record in that race too.  I saw the video - he had a sharp finish on him.  If he can keep improving he will be a real force on the world stage.

Flavio - nice week even with the aborted workout.

Flavio/Matthew - Re doubles, Sat/Sun is generally a workout/long run combo so this week it was just a bit harder with the long run including tempo blocks.  Normally Mon is a day off running and Tues is a pretty easy day and I wouldn't hit any workouts until the Wed, which generally seems to work out OK.  This week will be a slightly lighter week again given the upcoming race.

Matthew- I'll defer to JMacPiwi and Keen on anything marathon prep-related!

Corey - nice week and glad that niggle seems to be subsiding.

Marco - good week and well done on the cross country.  Definitely a different type of running and it will be good for your strength.

DJW - to be honest I ran the 200's and 800's off feel without looking at my watch as I haven't done either for a while.  For 400's I tend to be 67-69ish, with maybe a 65 if I get a really good effort in.  I'd say the 200's were probably low-30's, and the 800's were probably around the 2:30 mark.  Re tempo... yeah I hear you, I generally think that a slightly longer single tempo block is normally the way to go and I know that I've previously bailed on this exact workout because I just couldn't psych myself up for a third rep.

JMac - boom! He's back! Awesome that you're feeling strong enough at this stage to target Boston as a PR. I still reckon you might be sub-1:18 on that half too albeit I think you mentioned it's not the fastest course around and weather could play a part.  Re Coatesville, my coach's logic was "you never know who might be there".  I have no idea whether she means it's winnable depending on who shows up (which is 100% true of this race), whether there's some sort of cheer squad organised, or what.  I figure I'll turn up ready to race and then tailor my effort to the weather and the field.

Keen - yeah I'd pick a race and just go for it. You showed last year that you could absolutely smash out the work so maybe a little bit of motivation is all it'll take.

Brent - that would be some awesome consistency if you can keep that up throughout the year.  I was stoked last year to have only 3 weeks below 50km! (2 of those were a snowboarding holiday too).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Brent I think Flavio is a manimal. Especially given the temps he trains in.

I have had a super experience with a vendor here in Cheeseland: bought a pair of brooks ghost 10 back in March in an uggly color for 94 bucks. Put 500km on them. Noticed that the mesh was coming off the sole on the arch. Sent them back and got a full refund. Just bought a pair of Adidas Solar Boost something for 99 bucks. They are just as comfy and the color is actually pretty cool !!!

Now I feel accomplished. I wonder how many times I can repeat this Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

MJ - too many rich people around you, they probably never thought someone would scam them like you just did!

Matt - I don't think you can even look at goals right now given your injury. If I were you, I'd schedule a 10K in early March as a tune up race to give you an idea of where your fitness is at. There is a world of difference between sub 2:55 and sub 2:45. The problem with marathoning especially is that the distance requires you to have put in so much training teaching your body to deal with the aches/pains that occur in the last 10 miles that biking often cannot simulate. It's much easier to go from biking to running a 5K well than it is to marathoning. Not trying to get your hopes down as you have some incredible talent to have run a 2:54, just saying you should get some work in running before thinking about a goal.

Brent - Sub 2:46 is the goal. I originally came into this cycle wanting 2:39, but with my PTT and subsequent 12 days off (plus another 2 weeks getting back into it), I don't see that as realistic anymore. Right now I'm probably in 2:50 shape, but my upcoming half on March 17 will give me a better idea of what fitness level I'm at.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Corey - I feel the lower abs sometimes when my core is tired. This happens especially if I’m slacking on core exercises. My 0.02

Watson - good luck on the 5K, go get it!

Matt - you don’t have to decide the race pace just yet. First start with a couple of weeks of easy running. On the third week introduce strides at the end of 3 of your runs.

On the 4th week make a fast long run (with an MP block in the middle).

From them on focus a lot on MP workouts and extending your long run.

Then decide your race pace based on the actual training sessions.

Marco - so far so good with the group (though I only run with them on Tuesdays). Ouch on the eye injury, hopefully it’s nothing serious.

DJ - functional training is a bunch of exercises to get you stronger. The main motto is not to get you strong in a single muscle exercise (say the bench press), but

rather be strong and flexible so that you can do your daily activities well and reduce chance of injuries. Similar to Crossfit, though some of the Crossfit crowd go crazy with routines that are way beyond their ability.

What’s cool is that the teachers never repeat a workout day, meaning every time I go there there’s a difference sequence of exercises to perform, so it’s never boring.

I’ve improved core strength quite a bit and my squat has improved quite a bit, which is helping with posture. I’ve also never had any running injuries after I started it.

Unfortunately, I have not gained much in my pushups, pull ups (weak back muscles) and my dorsiflexion on the left side has not improved at all.

Jmac - coach is USD 55 per month, so quite cheap by US standards I’d reckon.

Also i see your week and I have to say : BEAST!!!

MJ - Oh, I’m a manimal 

If you tried to get refund on a used shoe around here they'd laugh at your face 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly