Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Kimba - nice work, just getting that base going will help a lot.  But I agree - short courses are a no-no.  As JMac knows, there are a few cowboy race directors in NZ that will cut a course slightly short to make it seem fast.  I was highly relieved when my race came up at 21.17km!!

Keen - doh!! At least you can't catch an ear infection... not sure if adults can catch croup either.  Miss 2.5 had it earlier in the year.  Fingers crossed everyone gets healthy and you stay healthy.

Paul - nice week

James - interesting.  On an otherwise flat course, adding hills is always a net negative time-wise so I can get the logic.

JMac - I love how 71 miles is sort of taper for you.  I was trying to figure if I might catch you for mileage this year but it might be a stretch.  Hilariously, even if he stopped running right now, Keen would probably still be thread mileage king for the year (I don't think it's even close).

Me - After the success I've had with the VFs in recent races, I was considering getting a pair of Zoom Flys for key workouts.  Turns out the 4% Flyknit was heavily reduced (and was cheaper than the ZF) so I sprung for a pair.  Don't tell my wife.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - I do think Keen is going to win this year's mileage. I think if everything goes according to plan, I should be right around 2650 miles / 4250 KM for the year. Which, by the way, I'm absolutely thrilled with, given my all time high mileage was 2100 last year. 500+ miles increase YoY is amazing.

Also, I bought a pair of ZoomFly Flyknits for workouts. I LOVE them. They're definitely heavier than the VF, but right when I put them on, I feel like I'm ready to rock and roll in any workout. I bought them for the same reason you did: got them under $100 US when they were retailing for $160. I do have the VF Flyknit so they work perfectly side by side, not sure if you'll feel the same since you're on the Next%.

keen - one thing that struck me this morning with you: why do you run two huge quality days so close together? It's weird that you have only 1 day in between your long runs and big Q days, but then 4 days after that. Is it just due to personal life? I think that may be shortchanging your Q workouts as there's no way I could run two big runs like that within 2 days of each other.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Shooting for 2800ish, but that is assuming I can manage to not get sick which would be the first christmas I am not sick on 5 years.

Keen will crush us all

Mark - I do think Keen is going to win this year's mileage. I think if everything goes according to plan, I should be right around 2650 miles / 4250 KM for the year. Which, by the way, I'm absolutely thrilled with, given my all time high mileage was 2100 last year. 500+ miles increase YoY is amazing.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

keen - one thing that struck me this morning with you: why do you run two huge quality days so close together? It's weird that you have only 1 day in between your long runs and big Q days, but then 4 days after that. Is it just due to personal life? I think that may be shortchanging your Q workouts as there's no way I could run two big runs like that within 2 days of each other.

TBH I would struggle with this too.  If I hit a decently long run on Sunday, I'm generally not hitting a serious workout again until Wednesday.  On the days I run back to back workouts, it's rare for either run to be over 10 miles.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - heh, I thought nobody noticed 

Will there be tracking at your race? I love to cheer for some blue dot on the screen or refresh the live tracking app to see progress.

Keen - usually you pay by the weight until a certain threshold (usually 500grams) and after that it’’s fixed price all you can eat.

Also monster week!

DPS - you just ran a half at that pace, how couldn’t you run faster a 5 miler?

I mean sub 30 is a given unless really bad temps/hills/zombies along the way.

me - I've picked up an injury on my left lat while running my workout yesterday. The good news is it means I'm using the lats when running faster. It won't stop my running but I had to take a day off from the strength training. Hopefully all is well again by Wednesday when I have my next strength training session.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

So, JMac's calling 2650 miles / 4250km

DPS 2800km / 4480km

Keen is ALREADY on 2,940 miles / 4,700km

I'm probably something like 2,530 miles / 4,050km allowing for an easy-ish week this week and a race in December.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

There will be tracking for CIM. This is going to be the fastest race I think I've ever seen at Sub 3, which is saying a lot. We've got 1 guy going for sub 2:30, three guys going for sub 2:40, and three more going sub 3:00. Tracker is already loaded with names.

https://track.rtrt.me/e/CRRM-CIM-2019

Flavio - sounds like just a niggle, good thing lats aren't super used in running!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

There will be tracking for CIM. This is going to be the fastest race I think I've ever seen at Sub 3, which is saying a lot. We've got 1 guy going for sub 2:30, three guys going for sub 2:40, and three more going sub 3:00. Tracker is already loaded with names.

https://track.rtrt.me/e/CRRM-CIM-2019

Oh boy.  Almost 2 weeks to go and someone has already scouted the live tracking.  Strap yourselves in folks!  (and JMac please keep it to harmless stuff like this and not injuries, imagined or real!!)

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Usually I have workouts on Monday and Thursday, LR on Saturday. It's just what I picked up a couple years ago when I first used Daniels. Trying to move the second workout last week to Friday was life getting in the way Thursday. Then skipping it was life getting in the way even more the next day!
                    I figure that the LR is usually the "easier" of those three runs, so it won't be as impacted by a Q day two days before, and won't impact the Q day two days later as much, compared to having the main Q days just one day apart.
                    With two Q workouts and one LR in a 7 day period there's always going to be a situation with just one day between a workout and another - I'd have to map it out, but a longer training "week" to give me two days between everything might be possible, but I doubt it.

Flavio - Grams? We use Freedom Units around here! The only time I hear any mention of someone having purchased something in metric units it's usually illicit drugs. 

Yearly mileage: I just checked and I'm currently .57 mi short of my total for last year. I was hoping for 3k then, but motivation to run tanked and I got sick a couple times between EOY and my November marathon and I just missed it. I think I'll hit about 2,150mi / 3,460 km this year, which I'm really happy with since I was nearly 200 miles behind pace for this at the end of July.
                    Interesting tidbit: Looking up yearly stats in Garmin Connect, since my first full year of running (2016) my mileage/time spent running has increased every year, and my average pace has slowed (this is my slowest year by 7 sec/mi), while my average HR has dropped every year as well.

My phone is going to be so very busy tracking people for CIM. I'm totally looking forward to it.

DD3 has been worse today than before - all she's done is sit someplace comfy and/or take naps. DW is taking her back to the pediatrician since she should be getting better, especially given the steroids they gave her to help with the inflammation that's causing her breathing/coughing.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - a couple of things:

1) did you mean 3150?

2) I don't know why I didn't realize, but you were running a long run and 2 quality days? I cannot believe you don't get injured more frequently! I'm not sure why you do so much quality because it most certainly must be impacting your training paces. I always feel like you have so much more potential than you show, and it could be because of this. Also, Daniels never has more than 2Q in a week in his marathon plan, so where did that come from? You should just focus on smashing 2 quality days a week, rather than running 3 "meh" workouts per week. But, that's just my opinion as fellow Daniels aficionado. Feel free to stick with this if you like it more.

watsonc123

Mark - How is the 4% Flyknit different from the 4%s?  It's a really good price too online, it must be end of model.  They don't seem to have the Next % online anymore?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - How is the 4% Flyknit different from the 4%s?  It's a really good price too online, it must be end of model.  They don't seem to have the Next % online anymore?

Same shoe, just with a Flyknit upper rather than the synthetic upper on the original 4%.  I think it is an end-of-model deal.

The Next% stock can be really patchy.  Any time I've looked, they either have almost every size in stock, a very limited number of sizes, or none at all (and it's not even on the store).  Pays to keep an eye out if you're looking for a pair as they do refresh the stock periodically.

Keen - hope your family are all better soon.  No fun when kids are sick.  Ours has picked up some random virus and has almost totally lost her voice, but is otherwise fine.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Yup, I meant 3,150.
                            Usually there was a LR and two quality days. Sometimes just one quality day, and there were quite a few weeks in which my LR was just 15-16 miles (all easy). I am thinking of ways to adjust my training for next year going forward.

Watson - The difference is only the upper - a knit upper vs the more typical mesh.

DD3 update - DW just called and the little one has pneumonia, so we're going to start pumping her full of antibiotics as soon as the prescription gets filled. Thankfully she doesn't also have the flu (was tested for it).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

kimba

I’m interested in the 4%, too.  Have heard they’re great for keeping your legs fresh and minimizing impact/injury.  But, I don’t want to get used to them and then have to pay out the nose ever two months when I need a new pair.  Or worse, they stopped making them.  It would suck to get used to them and get some time bonuses from them, and then be unable to get them.

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - ahhh that's rough.  I hope she's feeling better soon.  Luckily kids seem to bounce back very quickly from illness.

Kimba - I love the Next%.  The first time I raced in them I missed the feel of a traditional racing flat, but there's no doubt that they're a really quick shoe, and I think I enjoy the feel of them a lot more now than I did initially.  I find it easier to hold pace during a race, and they seem to distribute load to the larger muscle groups rather than hammering your calves like traditional flats often do.

In terms of recovery, for anything up to 10k, I find the recovery is WAY faster than racing in flats (or spikes).  2-3 days later, I barely even feel like I've raced.  For half marathons, the recovery overall is a bit faster than flats (but not much).  I find it's my quads and hamstrings that are really fatigued, whereas with flats it was generally my calves that were suffering.

From an injury avoidance perspective it seems like they place more of the load on the larger muscles (rather than the calves / achilles) which I would've thought was a good thing.  If you are just walking or jogging in them they feel a little unstable and weird, but when you pick up the pace they transition to an unbelievably smooth ride.

I doubt they'll stop making them - they're just too popular.  At the 10,000m race I did, almost half the elite field were in 4%'s or Next %'s.  Same deal with the top 4 runners at Saturday's race (I think the guy who was 5th was wearing the Zoom Fly, which is similar).  More likely other manufacturers will catch up and start offering similar products.  I only wear mine for races, not in training, so I think I'll get a reasonable life out of them.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"