Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

kimba

So in addition to the suggestions in the link above for strengthening/isolating glutes, runners should make sure they are correctly stretching their quads.  And eccentric work should be done on the hamstring to help with elongation of the tendon.

I want to amend my statement to say that eccentrics will increase the tendon’s tolerance to load while under stretch.  It’s inaccurate to say we’re lengthening a tendon or a muscle.  There is very little we can do to actually change the length of our tissues.   That was annoying me for my entire run today.  Now I feel better for having corrected myself 😁

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I did, but going into my 5th week of increased milage and 0 taper, I don't think I have that gear without rest. I'm running 13 miles split into 2 runs Mon Tues Wed, so I likely have very little speed in my legs beyond 6 min per mile. And even that may be a stretch.

DPS - you just ran a half at that pace, how couldn’t you run faster a 5 miler?

I mean sub 30 is a given unless really bad temps/hills/zombies along the way.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DPS - I agree with Flavio, this sounds like a classic sandbag. See rule #8

Kimba - a true professional . As a PT, I think you'll really enjoy this one: you know what injury I've been dealing with for the past 5 weeks that I'm finally going to get checked out? Injured shoulder from a flu shot. I basically can't lift my arm above parallel in the mornings, and I can't really do anything that requires my arm swinging forward (like golf, my other passion). Luckily it doesn't hurt when running, but starting to impact my quality of life. I never knew you could get injured by a damn flu shot!

VaporFly - I agree with Mark, they aren't going out of stock, don't worry. I bought two pairs of the 4% fearing I wouldn't like any new version of the shoe, but that means I have a long way before I buy the Next% (although maybe the Alpha will be out when I'm done with the 4%!)

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

We are also getting 8-10 inches of snow the tomorrow before Thursday's race, so there is a high probability that the roads will be freshly plowed ice rinks and not actual pavement.

http://m.startribune.com/largest-november-snowfall-in-nearly-a-decade-expected-across-southern-minnesota-twin-cities/565436212/

DPS - I agree with Flavio, this sounds like a classic sandbag. See rule #8

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

kimba

JMac - SIRVA- shoulder injury related to vaccine administration.  Some medical professionals deny the existence of such a thing, instead claiming there was a pre-existing injury that may have coincidentally gotten irritated.  Either way, the shoulder presents with problems that should be treatable by a PT.  I haven’t treated this one myself, but I’ve definitely heard of it.  Who checked it out for you?  MD?  PT?  What did they say?

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DPS - ice skating rink is a fair reason to do have lower goals.

Kimba - going to an orthopedist tomorrow to get it checked out. I figured the course of treatment is either going to be cortisone, PT, or maybe both. So annoying to have to go to a doctor and PT for a damn error in flu shot application. It probably doesn't help that I have a runner's body, which means there isn't meat on the bones on the shoulder, leading to much higher probability of error in administering the shot.

I'll let you know what the orthopedist says after tomorrow.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

kimba

You’re in NY, right?  You have direct access, meaning you can go directly to a PT.  Sometimes you’ll get the run around from orthopedist.  A potential waste of time and money.  The biggest risk is that they will probably order imaging, will probably see some sort of damage in there, and may suggest surgery.  But you may not really need surgery.   Most of us will have damage in our bodies that doesn’t require surgery.  But when it’s visualized with imaging we fall into the trap of believing what can be seen by imaging needs to be repaired.  Not always true.  So, just be careful and ask lots of questions and don’t let them bully you.  And I can reach out to my PT networks if you need help finding a good PT

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks Kimba. I always try to go directly to a PT, and they keep telling me I need a prescription, but I think that may just be the clinic I go to giving me the run around, as you put it, because my health insurance doesn't require referrals either.

I'm basically just going to the orthopedist to see if I need a cortisone shot, but I really do not want to go in for an MRI for this, it's going to be a huge waste of money. And I sure as hell do not want surgery, that to me needs to be a last resort in almost every circumstance unless there is catastrophic injury

Let's chat after tomorrow on getting a good PT, and thank you for your help! I will repay you with plenty of Daniels-based knowledge going forward 

kimba

JMac - Sounds good.  Just FYI - there are some provisions for direct access in NY, as follows, so maybe not a run-around, but you should be able to have an eval and some treatments without the referral:

• Treatment can be rendered by a Licensed PT without a
                    referral for 10 visits or 30 days, whichever comes first.
                    • Licensed PT must have practiced PT on a full-time basis
                    for no less than three years; be of at least twenty-one
                    years of age.
                    • PT must provide written notification that services
                    without a referral might not be covered by the
                    patient’s health plan or insurer; notification must state
                    that said services might be covered by health plan or
                    insurer with a referral. Must keep a copy of the
                    written notification in the patient’s file.

Good luck with ortho, and looking forward to hearing the updates.

Marky_Mark_17

I jump on here and there's a whole discussion about JMac getting some treatment... my initial reaction was 'REALLY? AGAIN WITH THE TAPER INJURIES?!'... thankfully seems to be a bit more innocuous than that!!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

paul2432

I had a flu shot reaction like JMac a few years ago.  I was in so much pain it brought me to tears.  I went to urgent care and they gave me some painkillers and then I followed up with an orthopedist.  The ortho gave me some exercises and recommended PT.  It started getting better on it's own without the PT so I skipped that.

The key with a should injury is to move it even if it hurts.  Not moving it makes it worse.  You could probably Google and find the right movements.

The company nurse that gave the shot said it could not possibly have been caused by the shot.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The key with a should injury is to move it even if it hurts.  Not moving it makes it worse.  You could probably Google and find the right movements.

While I don't think this is the right call in ALL shoulder injuries, it certainly was in mine.

When I hurt my shoulder, X-rays didn't show anything broken, and it seemed unlikely based on examination that anything was torn - just a lot of swelling and bruising and dysfunction.   The first orthopedist that I saw (older guy - only one I could see the same day), nevertheless put me in a sling and told me to avoid all physical activity until my follow-up appointment 7 days later.

This made no sense to me, since nothing was broken.  And as far as I knew (based on my lack of formal medical education, of course), you never want to immobilize a joint unless something is broken or torn - immobilization is always a last resort.  That's how you get frozen shoulder.

So I called a friend who was a PT that night.  She agreed that immobilization was a really bad idea, and gave me some suggestions on very careful, gentle stuff to do.  She also got me in to see another orthopedist the next day - that person gave me more exercises to do.

End result is that 3 weeks later, while my shoulder isn't fully functional, it's about 80% there.  I'm pretty sure I'd be much worse off if I had placed it in a sling for a week.  And as I think I noted elsewhere, my range of motion and strength in the shoulder was much improved the day after I ran a marathon, as opposed to the evening before the marathon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Hi everybody! sorry for the absence. I have been reading and following your great weeks of training and racing..Congratulation to everybody!

I wanted to give a quick update. In the last couple of months I have been travelling so much that it became an issue to keep mileage up. So I aimed at not wasting VO2max work done in the past by at least have a couple of intervals or thresholds per week. I did manage to keep at least 4 training sessions per week and kept in some quality. On Saturday I tested my self on 5X1000 mt. interval with 200 mt. walk for recovery and I felt surprisingly well. I managed the first 3 at 3'45'' then lowered the last two at 3'40''. this morning I did 3X1mile Threshold/tempo with 2' rest in between.

I have mixed feelings for the 10K on Saturday (3 days from now), but after Saturday and today I will try to go out hard and see how much I can hold for the sub 40' (although I don't think I have the training in the legs... )

have a great week! Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Update....I woke up to 5 inches of snow in the last 12 hours.....it is still snowing....

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks DW and Paul. I hope this orthopedist is good this afternoon.

It's funny you guys talk about keeping it active while we're talking about taper issues. Last year, when I had my foot issue a few days before NYC, the first podiatrist I saw said my foot was broken and put me in a walking boot with 2 days to go! Luckily, the next podiatrist said that was nonsense and gave me a cortisone shot, with me completing the race successfully.

The Internet can be a dangerous thing when it comes to medical knowledge, and I imagine as a medical professional it can be quite annoying having people come in and tell you that they read you should do XYZ on the Internet. However, I will say that the Internet has saved me in so many different ways, from knowing that my foot certainly was not broken last year, to recognizing that immobilizing a shoulder for a tendon injury is incredibly dumb.

Speaking of taper issues, I did get my first one last night! I had some posterior tibial tendonitis creep up in my left ankle last night, which is not where I had it in January. I started to panic as my 10 miler was pretty painful throughout, and it was so bad at night that I couldn't get off the ground with my leg (badly failing the one leg hop test). I kept telling myself in the run it's all okay, but when I failed that hop test, I got super worried that it was not a niggle. But having been through this so many damn times in my taper, I told myself to calm down and just get to work on it. So I iced it, stretched my lower calf, rolled it out, used my favorite electric massager, and taped it up. It feels better this morning and I know it's something that will be fine in a few days.

TAPER INJURIES, YOU SHALL NOT PASS 

I do wonder though whether this is something real with my body. I fully understand taper phantoms, but my last few taper injuries have persisted for weeks after the actual race, so it's clearly not in my head haha. My metatarsalgia lasted for a good 3-4 months, and I had those annoying foot injuries a couple years back that persisted around where the podiatrist thought it was broken. I think my body does not like when I start lowering mileage for marathons. You would think it's the opposite, that it would start healing up, but nope, not for me.