Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - that's a weird combo not to like. I'll take wind all day long when it's humid, helps keep you cool. You'd rather run in humid and no wind?

Regarding mileage, definitely have discovered I'm a runner that likes a sharp taper at the end. So my percentage of peak have been 87% and 72% the last 2 weeks, whereas someone like Pfitz would recommend 80%/60%. Realized that when I've raced so well during the middle of marathon buildups with only a mini-taper into it. So this week will be the REAL taper, with only 15 miles the 4 days prior to the race.

Keen - I take no responsibility if you buy it and say it's not worth it...

Flavio - run high mileage like a few of us here. You get to eat whatever you want. It's the best part of the entire gig. I've eaten SO much ice cream over the last 2 months and yet I'm my lowest weight probably since high school.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac - My wallet hates you for telling me that jacket is on sale. Regular price puts it solidly in the "no" category, but that's just *right* there. I also hate that I didn't see that page earlier as one color was on sale for half off...

https://www.rei.com/product/112408/the-north-face-venture-2-jacket-mens

Not on sale. 100% water proof. I've run in plenty of rain with this and it's dry inside. I just might dress too warm and sweat. Non-insulated. Not designed for running but it works for me with the adjustments available. .

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

kimba

Hey all!  Wow, super busy here!  See, this is why this forum is good - it's consistently active!

Keen -  Happy to help with PT stuff if I can!  And glad you and your family appear to be healthy.

JMac - yeah, it's pretty impressive that your taper week is so high mileage.   How's the shoulder?

JamesD - hope the hamstring is coming along!  Seems like you and I are at a similar place in our training.

Weather Conversants - I also tend to be a weather complainer.  I hate the humidity the most, followed by wind.  I don't mind rain as long as it's not a cold rain.  And I don't mind straight up heat or straight up cold - you can always dress to accommodate those conditions.

Right now is really crappy here in New England - snowed last night, rained all morning, roads were a complete sloppy mess.  I drove to a park that usually has a nice paved loop, but even that wasn't plowed!  By the time I drove there, realized I couldn't run, and drove home, it was too late for me to get my run in around my house in less traveled neighborhoods.  And by the time I got home tonight, it was snowing again and the wet roads are starting to freeze, so no run today.  Hoping I can get one in tomorrow even though it's supposed to snow all night again.  But snowy roads in a not-very-trafficky neighborhood are okay as long as it's not icy.  Incidentally, I listened to a podcast today about a woman who does snow shoe running races.  I know about snow shoes, but I had no idea they had running races with them.  I feel like I may have just discovered my winter cross training!  Have any of you ever done that?

I had a good week last week, getting up to 36 miles.  I know that's low by this group's standards, but I only started back in October after a month off in September due to injury, and I'm happy to be consistent again, albeit a bit reserved for fear of another injury.  So far, so good.  As I mentioned, I've taken advice from here and have been deliberately going slower than my natural default pace.  I even took one run last week to the trails of a local park with climbing and some slightly technical terrain to force myself to go slowly.  7 miles @ 9:30 pace!!!  I think that's the slowest I've ever run, and definitely the first time I'm proud to have gone slow :-)

My typical top mileage has been 40-45 miles, with most of my running life spent at 30-35.  I'm wondering how much I should plan to increase right now.  Any advice?  I haven't trained for a HM since 2013, having focused on the 800 and mile for several years, so it's been easy to convince myself that I didn't need the high mileage.  However, right now my plan is to start training for a May HM, so obviously more mileage would be beneficial (as long as I don't push it too high).  Would you recommend topping out at 40-45 as it's an amount that I've hit in the past?  Or, should I think about getting it higher as long as I'm keeping most runs on the slow side and not getting injured?

Enjoy the week, everyone!

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - run high mileage like a few of us here. You get to eat whatever you want. It's the best part of the entire gig. I've eaten SO much ice cream over the last 2 months and yet I'm my lowest weight probably since high school.

That is my dream! With all the time I can dedicate to running, I would run 125 miles a week if I could.

Back in late 2015/early 2016 I was training for a 50k and got in a really good groove, running around 70/75 miles a week several weeks. My weight got down to 81kg and I shattered all my PRs. It was brilliant. Hopefully all the strength training and consistency will help me get to a higher level.

Kimba - I'm not sure you can plan mileage that way, unless you have a history to draw from. Usually you increase 5 miles per week and keep like that for a few weeks and if all is good you increase 5 more miles. Repeat.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Brewiing - I can see you changed your title, does it mean you found the light and started liking cats (that is. stopped being a heretic?) 

Mark - Wind is great when it's warm and humid, it helps to cool you down. I had that last Sunday during my long run. It was funny as my thoughts turned from *ugh this annoying wind* on the way out, to *where is that much beloved wind* on the way back with the sun frying me heh.

Kimba - Guess you'll have to surrender to the Hamstermill ?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

kimba

Flavio - no way on the treadmill!  1) I don’t have one  and b) I hate them!  I’d rather risk it on icy roads with some yak-Trax......

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

paul2432

Mark - I'll do my usual taper.  Tuesday is always 4-5x 800 on, 800 off at HM pace.  Cut mileage for the rest of the week.  I'll probably run 4 days Monday to Saturday for around 20 miles total.

Kimba - I agree with Flavio.  Just build up a bit at a time and see how it goes.  Assuming your HM isn't a one-off, take a long view.  You have years of improvement ahead of you if you are consistent and build up your mileage (but not too fast).  Re: Trails - I have a lot of hilly trails near me.  Pace is meaningless on the hilly technical trails, better to go by effort..  Great for variety.  Obviously, ease in to trails, they come with their own set of risks.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Kimba - shoulder is still bad. Ortho said it's a rotator cuff issue, so I'm going to start doing some exercises at home for now and make some PT appointments as well.

Regarding mileage buildup, I (shockingly) follow the Daniels rule of running the same mileage for 3 weeks, then a down week, then going up by the number of days you run per week. So if you're running 45 miles now, I would do that for 3 weeks straight, then a down week of somewhere around 35 miles, then go up to 50 miles per week if I was doing 5 days per week. It's a slow progression, but as Paul correctly points out, building mileage is a long term goal, not a short term one. I can also attest to trying to build quicker than that and getting injured. It's better to consistently put up 40-50 then to try to ramp up to 70, get hurt, run a bunch of 0s, and try again. The last time I had more than 14 days off was the first 4 weeks of 2018. So it's taken me almost 2 years to build from that point up to 80 miles per week, and that was coming from a point where I had previously built up to 65 miles per week.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

As a few have commented on my doubles. It is part of the plan to minimize wear and to have 1 workout being a fast long run (Saturday) since I need to sustain a 6:18 pace for the Marathon next summer. Typically my other workout is Tuesdays.  It is also a partial factor of being a good husband and dad. My wife is pregnant with our second (due 5 days before my june marathon...oops) so to be helpful I don't run between 6 am and 7 pm when my son is awake, and I get up with him in the night if need be. So I try to be in bed at 8:30 pm or so and up at 4 or 4:30 am. As a result running a 9 and 4 works better from a staying healthy perspective and life style than running a 13 miler 4 days a week. I also work 50-60 hours a week between my 2 jobs (govt programs for homeless and low income housing and 2nd job in homes shelter on sundays)

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

As a few have commented on my doubles. It is part of the plan to minimize wear and to have 1 workout being a fast long run (Saturday) since I need to sustain a 6:18 pace for the Marathon next summer. Typically my other workout is Tuesdays.  It is also a partial factor of being a good husband and dad. My wife is pregnant with our second (due 5 days before my june marathon...oops) so to be helpful I don't run between 6 am and 7 pm when my son is awake, and I get up with him in the night if need be. So I try to be in bed at 8:30 pm or so and up at 4 or 4:30 am. As a result running a 9 and 4 works better from a staying healthy perspective and life style than running a 13 miler 4 days a week. I also work 50-60 hours a week between my 2 jobs (govt programs for homeless and low income housing and 2nd job in homes shelter on sundays)

Way to make me feel terrible about my contributions to both my family and society 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Look at your bank acct. I likely doesn't make you weep like mine does.

Way to make me feel terrible about my contributions to both my family and society 

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewiing - I can see you changed your title, does it mean you found the light and started liking cats (that is. stopped being a heretic?) 

Nope. I once housed a cat my wife rehomed from  my sister in law who was traveling and didn't want to take it with her. As soon as my wife was pregnant the cat had to go. I AM a BIG fanboi of CIM. Tis the season too.

EDIT:

DPS HOLY SHIT DUDE! two jobs, two kids AND full marathon training. The lack of sleep in your life is real. Screw the bank. I'd be looking at what time people go to bed and wake up. The struggle is real. Oh and my son's (turning 2) is 2 days before CIM. He is the reason I didn't run in 2017, not my lack of commitment or training. I'm leaving him with Grandma for the weekend.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

kimba

Yeah, DPS def gets props for all he is juggling.  Though I have to say, for me, deposits in sleep and running trump deposits into my bank account.  I mean, as long as all bills are paid and basic needs are met, of course.  But more power to you for handling all that you do!  One of my pet peeves is the abundance of sub-elite running millennials who have delusions of becoming true elites who feel that having even a part time job will sabotage their goals.  There are too many great runners out there who make it work despite juggling the rigors of a responsible adult life.  

I had an awesome run today!  Lots of snow on the ground, but I didn’t want to miss another day.  Inspired by looking into snowshoe running yesterday, I decided to run on a flat snow covered trail today.  I put duck tape on my shoes and yak-Trax over that, and trudged through the snow. It was super difficult and slow, but what a work-out!  5.3 miles at about 10 minute pace.  But the fresh air and untrodden snow were far more enjoyable than the treadmill!  And I feel like a bad ass 😆

Marky_Mark_17

DPS- wow, way to juggle everything!  Those early bedtimes are key if you're going to smash out a run at 4am or 4:30am.

Kimba - I agree with Paul and JMac, just build it up gradually and see how you go.  I've gradually built up over the last couple of years from averaging 40-45 miles / week to 50 miles, and now more like 55-60 miles.  I probably could've done that quicker, but I also wanted to make sure I could get the mileage done consistently and I was pretty conservative after having some injury niggles when my mileage spiked pretty fast for the marathon in ran in 2017.  But your body does adapt.  The first time I ran a 90km/week I was definitely feeling it.  Now it's just normal.

Awesome snow run too, I bet that would be super good for leg strength.  We're going up to Sun Peaks. BC, for a couple of weeks at the end of January so I'm looking forward to running in totally different conditions then, although normally I just stick to the roadside.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

kimba

Awesome snow run too, I bet that would be super good for leg strength.  We're going up to Sun Peaks. BC, for a couple of weeks at the end of January so I'm looking forward to running in totally different conditions then, although normally I just stick to the roadside.

Oh, nice.  Look up snow shoe running - maybe you can rent some up there and try them out!