Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I saw that long run on strava. Impressive regardless of pace. I don't think I have done that this year....maybe once. Props to you

Mon      off

Tue       4.5

Wed      4.2

Thur      9.1

Fri         4.5

Sat       17.1  4 strides

Sun       6.1

Total     45.8

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

The fact that Keen is talking about looking up another marathon already is so uplifting and he’s a better person that I would be after that kind of blow up. 

I can't speak for Keen but when I ran 4h42 in June 2010 the first thing I thought when I finished was that I wanted to get it back. I was super angry and wanted revenge. 3 months later I've tried again on the same 20 miles a week routine and this time I also had the flu. I hit the wall a little bit after the half way point and ran 4h49. I was even more angry.

I have since ran a 3h43 marathon and  a 4h29 and a 4h01 50Ks, all of which were epic blow ups.

The anger is still there, I'll conquer this marathon thing one day and then I'll finally be able to sit back and relax a bit.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I can't imagine being forced to walk a marathon to the finish line. Flavio described it well.

My motivation to run right now is about zero, as it always is in December post race. So damn busy with holiday stuff and absolutely dreading every run, as they're just useless easy runs to maintain some semblance of fitness. SNOOZE. But I have to run now, as I'm taking a full 16 days off of running with a trip to Asia before starting up my Boston cycle, so I can't just take this week off too.

It's amazing how you can go from so motivated that the thought of missing one run makes you go crazy, to dreading running so much.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

kimba

Running generally very weird.  I've definitely had the moments in time where running was nothing but a chore.

It's also weird how you can feel like garbage one day and then feel amazing the next.  There is no rhyme or reason.

No word from Keen yet?

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

Marky_Mark_17

It's also weird how you can feel like garbage one day and then feel amazing the next.  There is no rhyme or reason. 

Right?  My legs felt like absolute garbage today after two light days so I'm hoping they come right for Friday's race!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Hey, all! Sorry to have seemingly dropped off the planet after the race, I just haven't used a computer at all since my last post. Thanks for all the well-wishes, you guys are simply incredible!

Recap:
              I felt fine the morning of, and thought I had successfully dodged a stomach bug that DW, DD1, and DD3 had all had in the few days before the race. It was a bit warmer than I wanted at the start (~51/10.5) with a DP to match, but I told myself everyone just crushed CIM in similar conditions and while it would slow me down a bit I figured I'd still be able to get sub-3.

The race is slightly downhill to start, but after a decent uphill and immediate decent around mile 3 it's essentially all uphill until you get to mile 11, which rewards you with a pretty substantial downhill before largely flattening out around the lake.

Around mile 12 I started to feel a bit off, but I figured it was just a weird race issue and would pass. I crossed the half just a bit slower than I wanted, but I was still ok with it since aside from one hill coming up it was largely flat to downhill the rest of the way and I was planning on a good negative split. Mile 15-6 and I'm feeling worse so I decide to revise my goal to just BQ. We turned into the wind again around the lake, but there weren't many around and I couldn't draft like I could earlier. Miles 18 & 19 things started going downhill faster and I decided I was just going to run as far as I could without walking, then run/walk it in. "As far as I could run" turned out to be just a few steps beyond the small crowd at mile 19. I tried running a few steps after walking maybe 300m and it felt hard to breathe, so I shut that down.

Mile 21 starts a ~1.5mi uphill that includes a lot of the screaming downhill from mile 11. I was still at least moving ok here (relatively speaking), but I took a drink of water and my stomach instantly turned. It took a couple miles but I finally got nauseous enough to throw up just a little liquid (no solids for many hours at this point). I kept going, took a few lie-down breaks in hopes the nausea would pass (it didn't), and kept thinking that I've always heard that stomach issues in long ultras are a thing, but that throwing up almost always fixes it. At mile 25.5 I finally threw up just a bit more (off course again) and my stomach felt MUCH better, but I didn't even contemplate running. The walk in was much more pleasant after that.

I figured it was just the heat getting to me more than other people, but when I talked to DW after the race and told her how I felt she said it sounded like I had gotten the stomach bug, and that DD2 had woken up sick with it the night before but she didn't want to freak me out pre-race by telling me. I was just so focused on race-specific things it didn't even occur to me that I might be sick. By ~4pm I felt just fine (aside from the usual post-marathon leg soreness), which does mirror how my girls felt after getting sick - throw up 1-2 times, feel crummy for a few hours, then everything is OK.

The more I thought about it the more it being a bug than the heat makes sense, given the conditions, my training, and how badly I crashed. My slowdown was massive compared to everyone else, and the heat wasn't that bad when I started walking (it was 75/24+ when I finished). Once I started walking I never caught anyone else who was also, I was just passed continuously. I chatted briefly with a guy who ran the same half I did earlier in the fall and he ran 1:26 there, and he started running again after walking less than a 1/4 mile with me (turns out he's doing the Black Canyons ultra next year). Hopefully this isn't just me trying to make myself feel better!

So, my previous plans of sub-3 in Dallas and running some (dirt/gravel road) ultras next year has flown out of the window. I'm looking at some marathons that are in the winter to early-ish spring range, and hopefully not too far away. The most promising ones are currently Houston (Jan 19. Nice and flat, but 7+ hours of drive time away), Cowtown (March 1. Rolling hills, a bit faster than Dallas, half as far away, more time to prep), and the Chisholm Trail (did this on in the spring, mostly flat double-loop, possibly late enough that it could be warm).
              I know 5 weeks to Houston isn't much turnaround, but what does everyone else think?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - thanks for the race report. I really think you should've DNF that race. IMHO being sick or injured are valid reasons to DNF. Lose the battle win the war. You are however so strong that you might be able to scrape by with no long term injuries to tendons like it happened to me, something few people think about while they're chanting hero.

That said, your strength of schedule should have you recovered quickly especially since it was not a full effort on your body.

Of the ones you mentioned Houston sounds better, flat and cold. Why 7+ hours of drive, don't you guys have airplanes in the US? It seems weird to drive that long before a big race like that.

As for me, I still have the itchy throat but got out there anyway today. I'm hoping whatever virus I had is finally gone after 2 weeks. I'm very frustrated with these allergies which already cost me 4 weeks of training this year.

Anyway I've also decided to drop my strength training to 2 days a week. It will slow down my dearly needed gains in strength but it will hopefully means I can go uninterrupted all the way to the half race in mid February.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

watsonc123

+1 to Houston.  Just do a mini cycle.  I would also consider flying, although I don't know how far you are from an airport.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - nice RR.  And wow, that was really hot when you finished too!  Those stomach bugs can really take it out of you - I remember running Devonport Half a day or two after a stomach bug and I was fine until around 15km and then just totally ran out of gas.  I'd say with the reduced amount of running, plus stops, your body won't be as beat up as if you'd fully raced the marathon, maybe give it a few days and see how it feels.  You've crushed the training and will still be in great form (assuming no more stomach bugs!) so it makes sense to make the most of it.  Andres over on sub-3 lives in Houston so he will know all about the Houston Marathon.  7 hours drive is a lot though (I wouldn't drive more than around 3-4 personally) - are flights an option?

Flavio - my strength training is currently down to 1 day a week and maybe a few other bits here and there.  It's enough to maintain strength if I'm smart about it.  Hope you're feeling better soon!

Me - weather is looking iffy for Friday night.  Looks like some rain might blow through but it should clear by the race in the evening, although it might still be a bit windy (a cool SW though).  Depending how wet the track is, I might yet opt for spikes over the VF's.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

+2 to Houston and flying if possible.  Having said that, I've rarely had good races even the morning after a short flight but first went under 1:30 after a 5 hour drive (2 days before the race).

As for turnaround, hard to say.  Do your legs feel like you ran a hard half or like you did a long easy run?  I guess it's somewhere in between?

I don't know about the DNF issue.  When I crashed and burned in a half last year, I started jogging back to the start/finish area not intending to try and finish (the course went past the start/finish with 4km to go then turned back with 2km to go) but the more time went by the more I talk myself into it.  I didn't get injured and clearly wasn't quite in the same pain cave as you and I was proud of finishing at all...but flavio also told me there's no shame in a DNF Smile  I guess it depends on the circumstances.  If I'm lying down and intermittently vomiting (and there was an easy way to get home without walking to the finish), I think I'd choose DNF.

me:  I've had a few good weeks, topping out last week with 75km.  Nice easy long runs of 20-25km and slowly working in some speed.  I did another morning run this morning as we're having yet another work meeting at the pub for xmas (local council is a whole new world to me, it moves slower than CK after vomiting mid-race - hmmm, too soon?).  I know I'm risking my life here but my god it was cold.  Mid-summer but an ice cold southerly, torrential rain and sleet and temperature of 2 degrees C (35F).  We were in the middle of a month long drought but still, it doesn't feel like the sort of weather you get a week out from xmas.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

One the biggest issues with DNFing a marathon is that there's no easy way to do it. Usually you have to wait for the sweeper car and sit there for like 4 hours until it reaches the finish line. You can't call an Uber cause the roads are blocked and you're likely not running with your phone. I suppose your best bet is to try having someone call you a ride at the next aid station?

Last year at the local marathon a guy had to walk due to injuries and became hypothermic. He had to walk for a couple of miles until he found a cyclist who could call an ambulance to bring him to safety. He nearly died on the course.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

this contained a silly joke about weather.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yeah, you'd think for bigger races they'd have options about how to get people off the course rather than have them try and battle through to the point where they're in serious danger.

Those allergies sound horrific...I know Christchurch weather is generally mild and definitely suits me (Florida and Texas earlier this year provided good insight into how bad it can get, and a New England trip 3 years ago gave the cold perspective).  But snow on the hills a week before Christmas!   It's BBQ season.

2024 Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - cold and snow never stopped us Brazilians from barbecuing and being out there, just saying 

guys shirtless on snow

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Photos of half naked men...you've changed!

2024 Races: