Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Ha happy ice fishing Brent.

Would -30Celsius be bad for the lungs?

I am going skiing tomorrow at -20Celsius. But thats not the same I guess.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm getting my interval workout in today so that I don't have to do VO2 max in much colder weather. I imagine that's the only type of workout where you would experience significant running problems in that kind of cold, besides frostbite.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I dunno, I remember snowboarding at -20C in Canada a few years ago... with another -10C of wind chill it was pretty tough going and I was only good for a run or two before I had to come in and warm my hands up! (and I'm the sort of crazy person who will basically try and snowboard all day, every day, in any conditions short of a blizzard).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

since we are all talking about weather it's 24 (-4c) here in SC this morning should top out about 44 (7c)

I haven't had the opportunity to get out and run in it since I have been sick since Sunday evening, It hit me right after my run Sunday.

I'm heading back to work today hopefully will feel a bit better and get in some runs later this week.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

brentnet

44 is right around my ideal race weather. If you can give me between 40-50, I'm as happy as can be. I've got a ton of friends that have been busy posting on Facebook pictures of their outside runs where they look like frozen cavemen. I swear the only reason they are running is to a) say they did it and b) post a picture.

JMac - I don't enjoy running in the extreme cold, but I find I can't do workouts. Footing is poor plus you are wearing 10-15 extra lbs of clothes. Hard to even gauge anything regarding pace. Like was a 7:00/mile in the snow/wind/cold/ice too fast/foo slow/just right. I have no idea.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Weather! 20F/-6.7C this morning, with 15-25mph/24-40kph winds. Oddly enough the temp dropped another few degrees once the sun came up after my run, but I was toasty and warm inside by then. I tried out my idea of wearing ski goggles, which worked great. Kept the top of my face from freezing and my eyes from drying out - headlamp positioning was a bit weird at first, though. I'm sure I looked weirder than usual to the people in the couple vehicles I met along the way. I think I have my cold weather layering system down. I really need to make notes of what I've been wearing because I know I'll just forget it by next year, then have to go through several uncomfortable runs until I learn how to dress in winter again. Temps should get up to more likable levels through the next week, which will be nice.

I also ran a 1 mile section of road that I've never done before, despite it being just a couple miles away and me having run the area for 2.5+ years.

Brent - Sure am glad I'm not in your part of the country!

Those are pretty much my ideal conditions as well. I may feel a bit of a chill during and before the first km to mile, but after that I'd be feeling super good.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I don't mind running in the 20s. Yesterday was the worst conditions though for me: upper 30s and raining. Nothing I do can keep my hands and forearms warm (I'm pretty sure I have Raynaud's) so I'm just miserable. Seems like most people recommend using some sort of dishwashing glove, or other latex gloves. This guy Andrew Skurka seems to be the expert on this stuff. I feel a little uneasy with the idea of running around with huge gloves like these, but comfort should come first right?:

https://www.showagloves.com/showa-281-temres#.XFHM-lVKhhF

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Personally, I'd skip gloves (except maybe lobster-style gloves) and look for mittens that are made for skiiing/snowboarding or biking. They'll be more expensive, but are insulated for colder temperatures/higher winds but still account for wicking moisture from potentially sweating hands. 
                  Or maybe a light liner glove/mitten with a heavier pair over them? Maybe with a hand warmer stuffed inside? I've been putting my ~40* gloves on under my 30* gloves, which worked really well even today.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

For all my hot weather complaining, I'm glad I don't need to deal with the conditions a lot of you northerners do.  The worst I got last winter was a fine but freezing morning of -6C (which admittedly, I didn't dress appropriately for).  I do kind of enjoy the thrill of getting out in the snow for a run but that only happens once or twice a year, facing that for 3 months would be tough going.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - Personally, I'd skip gloves (except maybe lobster-style gloves) and look for mittens that are made for skiiing/snowboarding or biking. They'll be more expensive, but are insulated for colder temperatures/higher winds but still account for wicking moisture from potentially sweating hands. 
                      Or maybe a light liner glove/mitten with a heavier pair over them? Maybe with a hand warmer stuffed inside? I've been putting my ~40* gloves on under my 30* gloves, which worked really well even today.

Normally, what you're recommending works for me. I do need gloves earlier than most people (generally around 50 degrees). However, no matter how much I wear during rain, I can't keep my hands warm, which is why I may go the latex route. I've used gloves I normally wear for 25 degrees or colder during 40 and rain and it still doesn't work. I would point out that my wrists/forearms also get super cold, to the point where if a big rain drop hits my forearm in the right spot, it feels like I'm getting stabbed. I'm going to try vaseline or bag balm on my forearms during the next cold rain outing, that seems to work for some people.

Marky_Mark_17

Brent - yeah anything in the mid 40's / 7-9C is ideal for racing I reckon.  I was lucky enough to get a couple days like that for races last year (one of them was my HM PB!).

Keen - it's crazy how you can run around an area for years and still have not run in particular areas close to home.  Last year I discovered this awesome little trail section about 3km from my new house and my previous house, which I've probably run past at least 50 times.

JMac - random idea, but you know for skiing / snowboarding you can get those little disposable glove warmers / boot warmers?  They're generally only good for half a day so it would probably be a bit expensive to use them every run, but they might help on the really cold days.

Me - finished Jan at 373km / 231 miles.  This was actually my second biggest month of all time, I guess thanks to having a few more really long runs in there.  Have definitely noticed the legs are just a little bit more tired but still managed to smash out a good 14km progression run this morning with the last km clocking in at 3:28.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a little bit excited for the Coatesville Half next weekend, even though it'll be hilly and hot and horrible.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JMac - random idea, but you know for skiing / snowboarding you can get those little disposable glove warmers / boot warmers?  They're generally only good for half a day so it would probably be a bit expensive to use them every run, but they might help on the really cold days.

Jumping in again, never mind me...

Little Hotties Handwarmers are around $20 for a box of 40 pairs on Amazon, so ~50 cents a pair.

Each one lasts 12 hours, and you can stretch them out to 2 or even 3 runs by sealing in an air-proof bag between runs (they require air to function).

A box lasts me a winter, usually, and I consider it $20 very well spent.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - you can always jump in. I did like 2 hours of research on this today given how miserable I was last night, so I'll take all the advice you can give! I thought I had solved it, but I haven't. My core and legs were perfect though, so at least I've somewhat figured out how to dress in the rain, it's just the hands and forearms that are the final step. I think the latex gloves plus bag balm / vaseline for forearms plus looking into mittens plus hand warmers if needed is the solution. I actually do have a box of those from Amazon. I need to buy the mittens that have the slots to hold them though, because they don't really fit in my gloves without burning my hands due to direct contact. I like having gloves for doing things like changing songs (in training), or if in a race, ripping open gel packs.

Marky_Mark_17

DW - ha I'm glad to see my idea wasn't crazy!  Sounds like you have a pretty good system going.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Steve you are lucky getting a couple of days of snow. I get excited if we get a frost 

Jmac you may have to move to New Zealand. We need manual labour workers so plenty of jobs around for you  The weather is perfect for running. No dew point talk exist here I'm sure.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "