Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - That race was a great way to close out a very successful year for you! Awesome that your daughter loved the shoes. I'm sure mine would feel much the same way if they saw their daddy wearing pink shoes for a race. Or maybe they'd just think I'm goofy.

Kimba - 8 min/mi is slow pace? I haven't had any issues with breathing in the cold since the very first winter I tried (and failed) to get running to stick, about 5 years ago now. I'm not sure what causes that. I know people who have a hard time breathing in the cold and some who don't and haven't found a pattern to it yet.
    Good review. I hope next year is better for you. Also, sub 5:13 mile goal? Geez, that's fast!

James - Yeah, seems like sickness to me. My HR was a bit high on my easy taper runs pre-Dallas, which should have been a sign to me.

Flavio - Nice yearly review. Really nice that you were able to put together a really strong cycle towards those short distance PRs.

DPS - Awesome week.
    Congrats again on having another little one inbound (I did say that earlier, didn't I?). Grandma's is an outside chance for me, so maybe we could meet up if we both make it. Stick with the early running stuff - that's the only way I can make it work as well. I know it'd difficult with family stuff and can seem selfish at times, but you really do need to take care of yourself to help take care of the family. Here's to a good 2020 for you!

Keen's year:
    All in all I think this has been a really good year for me. After starting really rough (multiple straight weeks of sickness and little/no running), and one mid-year neck/shoulder issue, I was able to string together my best running ever. Big mileage, good workouts, and zero injuries. Just one official PR (HM), but dropped nearly 30 seconds off my official 5k time during a solo track TT. My big marathon attempt was a massive bust, but the resulting down time I think will be good for me in terms of helping absorb the benefits over the past 4+ months so I can build on that for next year.
    I'm also just a few miles (3.4 miles left to my goal per Garmin. 14 per RA) from passing my arbitrary mileage goal for the year (3,100). I had basically given up on that in July, and it just happened to fall into place.
    I had planned on running some ultras next year (don't worry JMac, they're all on gravel/dirt roads and training will be mostly marathon-style), but I really need to get sub-3 out of the way. I'm leaning towards running Cowtown in early March for the sub-3 attempt, but am looking for other options just in case I'm not able to run that race. I'll just have to see how things turn out over the course of the next few weeks before I can really nail down any definite plans for next year.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

@keen I am looking at rooms with track club team mates. May have a bed open if you decide to join. Also have some former members who now live in Duluth who let us crash at their houses. Let me know if you decide.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'll start the new thread later today because I'm heading away tomorrow.  Feel free to add any more opinions about whether it should be both event and target time specific, or just event.  I can see the attraction of both sides to be honest, although if it was simply "2020 Half-marathon training" would that scare off anyone looking for sub 1:30?

Loving the year end reviews, keep them coming in this thread and enjoy the last few days of a soft dictator.

2019 Year in Review

2018 was a frustrating year for me with a major bust at the Auckland Waterfront race, then a solid 1:32 at the South Island Half-Marathon coming off injuries and sickness in the build up.  The former was a PB attempt, the latter wasn't but the latter went way better.

I came into 2019 looking to have another crack at a PB in Auckland (I much prefer the Christchurch marathon in early June/late May but a trip to the USA arriving back that week meant I wouldn't be race ready).  So I went back to Auckland on the back of a solid training block.  I had a few injuries towards the end of 2018 which meant I only got into speed work in January, for an April race and I struggled in the heat of summer before starting to hit my straps a month before the race.  The consensus seemed to be that I was ready to go for a PB but for whatever reason, running in Auckland after training in Christchurch doesn't agree with me.  Auckland is more humid, while Christchurch gets hotter in summer but the lack of humidity training seems to be the issue.  I didn't blow out in the race but never felt comfortable and was a few seconds per km off the pace from the start.  A blow out felt a distinct possibility for most of the race but I held on for 1:30.49 - I was disappointed with the time but proud of the race as a whole given how bad I felt.

From there I planned to try the South Island Half-Marathon for a legitimate PB attempt this time.  I met up with Mark and Watson after they raced the half marathon at Christchurch on June 2 and commented that I'd had a good run of time without injury so was ready to give it a real go.  I think I also said "that's a dangerous thing to say...."  4 days later I felt discomfort in my right glute but nothing too serious but many attempts to rest then run through it failed as it just hung around.  Finally in September I was able to start increasing beyond 10-20 minute test jogs (I spent all of winter substituting the Stationary Bike).  My mileage has increased steadily with November and December being the most solid months I've ever had.  I've built a good base and even started introducing some speed with 3x2km tempo yesterday which went really well, with my times about 10 seconds per km quicker than race pace.  So I'm miles ahead of where I usually am at this stage of the cycle.  I'm planning to have 2 low key weeks in Australia where the temperature is currently predicted to be 100-115F during my whole stay (JMac has a few days left in charge of whether that is hot or not) then get back into it.

I want to do a 10km on February 2 as a tempo run - the plan at the moment is to try and hold half-marathon pace so about 42 mins is the target.  Yesterday during my tempo I did 43:21 for 10km which included 4km of "rest" so I may be able to go better than 42 depending on the next month.  The key for me is listening to my body and lots of rolling.  If I stay consistent I can still go for PBs.  From there it is the Christchurch Half-Marathon on May 31.

Thanks for 2019, this is a great group to be part of.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Looking forward to a new thread, Steve!

I can see the merits of sub-90 or a simple HM training thread, though I I'd cast my vote for sub-90. Or perhaps an "aggressive half" thread if we chose to ditch the time qualifier.
          A generic thread would have broader appeal, but the aggressive goal itself weeds out people who aren't as serious about it. Not that our sub-90 isn't the same as someone else's sub-75, or sub-105 (just throwing numbers out there) - but that the level of dedication needed to hit progressively faster times (whatever those times may be) puts us in a relatively narrow group to begin with, but it's a group that can support each other.

As Kimba said, there's nothing wrong with being new and/or "slow". We all have to start somewhere, and we all have genetic (and other) limitations whether we want to accept them or not.
          I think a person looking to choose between a "general HM training" and a "sub-whatever training" thread would be more likely to choose the one that they could learn the most from and contribute the most to. After all, anyone can create whatever training thread they want to here.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Could we perhaps relax a bit the entry bar. Sth like sub 1:40?

I get it that we want to weed out those running two days a week, but honestly I'm so far removed from the times Jmac and Mark are running that I'd say someone running 1h45 is not training that differently than me.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

I think we should stick to sub 1:30. Maybe sub 1:40 for woman?

DPS - great week.  It must have been tough having started from where you were.

My year was ok.  Volume was not as high as I hoped.  I will end up roughly 2700km / 1700 miles.  March through to September was my best training.  I need more volume 2020.

I ran two half marathons this year.  One in windy cold conditions, and did 1:30:12 net (by memory).  The other was way too hot and windy, and had a large fade for 1:32:56

The highlights for me was the club racing (first club year for me).  With the August Wellington 10k road race, being the best with a 11s PR in 40:28.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - the Next%'s were fine on the track (I used them in the 10,000m as well).  The corner is gradual enough that the high stack height isn't an issue at all.

Thread title - I'm probably still thinking sub-1:30, or something around that level... sub-1:35 and beyond... I dunno.  As Keen alluded to, the thread has always been for the slightly more serious half marathoner (as opposed to some one who just cruises a 2:00 or 1:50 and doesn't train a lot).

Annual review 2019

I'm not going write too long an annual review given I've already subjected everyone to plenty of long RR's!

Currently on 4,057km and will be over 4,100km by the end of the year.  This makes it comfortably my biggest mileage year ever (previously 3,613km in 2018).

I planned the year around targeting 4 main half marathons - Waterfront (April), Christchurch (June), Dunedin / NZ HM Champs (September) and Kerikeri (November), and tagged some other races in along the way - most notably NZ Road Champs 10k (September), The Agency Group 10,000m (November) and Night of 5's 5000m (December).  This was a bit of a shift as I'd been racing almost one half marathon a month in 2018 and prior years.

The goals for the year were:

• Have fun (YUP!)
                • Don't get injured (so far so good)
                • Do some new races (Maraetai HM, Christchurch HM, Agency Group 10,000m, Kerikeri HM)
                • Sub-1:15 HM (um yeah, 4x)

The year started with a couple of dud races (Coatesville, where I was slower than last year, and Maraetai, where I just about cooked), then I copped some weird virus in late March.  After that... well the only thing I have to complain about is the wind (and THAT u-turn) at Auckland Road Champs, as well as a sinus infection that prevented me running Auckland HM (which wasn't a goal race anyway).

Had to work hard to get all the training in, but it sure paid off, with National Championship medals, and PB's at 5000m, 10,000m, 10k, and HM (x4!!!) distances.  If you'd told me at the start of 2019 I'd run a 1:10 HM - or even 1:12, I would've thought you were a bit nuts.  I'm beyond stoked with how this year panned out and incredibly grateful.  I'll probably never top it, and that's all good.  But I'm sure looking forward to some new adventures in 2020! I need to lay down a good FM time and there's always new races to explore!

Things I learned this year:

• Mileage helps a lot.  I upped my mileage to around 90-100km a week in typical training weeks, versus 75-80km previously.  This and the long runs were key in boosting my endurance and avoiding late-race fades (which happened at Waterfront HM in April, but not after that once I kicked the mileage up a gear).
                • Long runs also help with the endurance a lot, particularly when you whack a 2km hill in at the end of every single one of them.
                • My easy runs slowed down as I added the mileage.  That was all good and the key thing was I was still able to hit the key workouts.
                • Days off are important - I was normally running 5 days a week, and increased that to 6, but (almost) never 7.  The day off was even more important once I started running 6 days / week.  
                • I'm a steady pace runner, and a bit of a lone wolf.  I'm totally comfortable doing my own thing in races and I'm not too worried what others around me are doing.  Lock in the pace and go for it.  I hope I can do that over a marathon, too.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Just my two cents on the Thread.

I joined this tread with a PR that was barely below 1:40 with an eye on 1:30.  I have ran a handful of HM and improved my time over the last few years to just below 1:34 suffice it to say I have not reach that goal yet, but it is still my primary goal. I owe most of my success to the group here and the advise given.

I think the thread title should stay at the Sub 1:30.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JamesD

JamesD

I’m recovering slowly from being sick for over a week.  Today’s run was only about 10 sec/mile slower than my usual easy runs and almost as far, so I’m headed in the right direction.  I expect it’ll be another week or two before I’m back to normal.

Sun-Weds - off sick

Thurs - 2.3 miles treadmill very slow

Fri - 4 miles treadmill

Sat - 5.7 miles easy, 6:29/mile

Total - 12 miles

12-week average - 29 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32