Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Marco - The thought of holding marathon pace for 26.2 miles is always scary. I can’t even imagine holding my current MP of 6:20 for 16 miles at this point, let alone 26. The magic of tapering and race day.

Flavio - Your training has looked great. It’s time for you to get some races on the calendar! Maybe something in the fall?

Piwi - Can you remind me , do you plan on doing any tune up races?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Flavio hope you get better soon.

Marco the end of long runs when you feel horrible but manage to drag yourself to the end, is an important training stimulus for marathon running.

The MP parts for me start off in a cycle as say 13kms @ MP at the end of a longrun. The pace is hard but not aerobically, just fatiguing on my legs. As the training progresses the length of the MP portion increases. It's still tough but you hold pace for longer. The rest is as Jmac says tapering and race day magic.

Jmac no tuneup races. Just the marathon then retirement 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

James nice week and 5k I imagine I'll be just as rusty this weekend as well.

Mark nice week love the segment battle too. how does the masseuse have the intel?

Piwi nice week great to see you getting in all these good weeks injury free.

Watson nice week 

Jmac nice weak breaking out a 20 miler too.

Thanks to being sick Monday and Tuesday I was in jeopardy of missing my weekly goal of hitting at least 40 miles as I was going into Saturday with on 9 logged.  I figured I'd give it the ole college try and ended up putting in right at 40 thanks to 15 on Saturday and 2 runs today totaling 16.

you'll have to take Mondays 1 mile out as that was not a run but was walking the dog.

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Jan 28, 2019 thru Sunday, Feb 03, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Link
        Mon 1.0 20:10 Afternoon Activity strava
        Wed 4.0 9:59 Evening Run strava
        Thu 5.0 9:56 Evening Run strava
        Sat 15.0 9:43 Afternoon Run strava
        Sun 6.0 8:42 Morning Run strava
        Sun 10.1 8:51 Lunch Run strava
          41.1 9:41  

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - hope you're feeling better soon.

JMac / Piwi / Corey - haha the segment was down in Hobsonville, it's about 4km from home so I run down there quite a lot as a break from the hills around my place, there's a nice coastal walkway (plus a couple of water fountains!!).  There's not really a lot of quick runners around my area so the masseuse might know them all.  I don't even know the guy I took the segment off to be honest.

Marco - Like Piwi says the training stimulus is really important.  And probably with all the big miles you have been doing there will be a bit of fatigue in the system too.

Piwi, JMac - nice weeks.

Corey - nice job hitting the goal despite a tough start.

Watson - bummer the heat stuffed your week up a bit but it would've been miserable racing in that

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

Quick check-in from me here. I came down with a flu of some kind right after my previous post. Had fever for a week and I’ve had a persistent cough ever since. So I haven’t done much at all for the last couple of weeks. Injury is still there but getting better, slowly.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Flavio I missed your post nice week and hope you get over that cold and feeling better soon!

Rune  hey hope you get over the flu and glad to hear the injury continues getting better!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Joe24

Hello, my name is Joe Dumas and i am addicted to fitness. I was on the runner's world sub 130 forums in the past. I got down to 1:31, but Bennett cracked sub 1:30. Some of you may remember me as the iron man duathlete. My personal beats for running are 3:25 for a full marathon, 1:31 for half marathon, 41 minutes for 10k, 18:55 for 5k.

I completed a full ironman duathlon in 2013 and competed in long distance world championships in Switzerland in 2017.

Brent called me into joining with very little effort needed to convince. Just mentioning this forum and here i am. I hope to learn, be inspired and inspire others. Good luck to all in our quests, even though if i remember right there are sub 1:20 people that just love the sub 1:30 comradery.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hello, my name is Joe Dumas and i am addicted to fitness. I was on the runner's world sub 130 forums in the past. I got down to 1:31, but Bennett cracked sub 1:30. Some of you may remember me as the iron man duathlete. My personal beats for running are 3:25 for a full marathon, 1:31 for half marathon, 41 minutes for 10k, 18:55 for 5k.

I completed a full ironman duathlon in 2013 and competed in long distance world championships in Switzerland in 2017.

Brent called me into joining with very little effort needed to convince. Just mentioning this forum and here i am. I hope to learn, be inspired and inspire others. Good luck to all in our quests, even though if i remember right there are sub 1:20 people that just love the sub 1:30 comradery.

Joe - welcome. Can you give us maybe a bit more of your history (it sounds very interesting to those of us who don't know you), and what your goals are for this year?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Corey - You've been putting in some good training. Do you have any future races you want me to add to the first page.

Piwi - I'm going to ignore the retirement comment for now. I do think you should get a tune up race in, maybe one of those fun "run through someone's backyard" you Kiwis love so much. I'm getting anxious I only have one tune up race, I can't imagine going into a marathon with zero tune ups. Race rust is real.

Rune - When it rains, it pours. Feel better. Thanks for checking in.

Joe24

I started running in 2011 and did my first half marathon in just over 2 hours. I thought it was crazy to do more than a 5k back then. I wound up doing my first duathlon in 2012 after i had a few bone rods of 50 miles in 3 hours. 2012 i wound up doing my first century bike ride as well as my first half ironman duathlon and my first marathon was 3-4 weeks after that. I finished my half marathon in may of 2012 in about 2 hours with more training than the year before. Full marathon time was 4 hours.

After seeing that i could do longer distances but didn't improve my times i set my first training calendar up for 2013 which went from January first all the way through October of 2013. I had bike rides, easy runs, long runs speedwork and days where i ran and biked. Wound up with much better results in 1:40 half early in the year, doing a full iron man in September and a full marathon in October doing 3:25 for my time.

First child was born in October of 2013 so 2014 took it a little easier but had a 1:32 for half marathon.

2014-2015 off season i got up to 60+miles a week running to go with my 100+biking. I finished half in 1:31 and had some amazing results in duathlon. Did great up until about August when plantar fasciitis set in. Tom it easy until 2017 when i really hammered the duathlon training getting up to 40-50 miles a well running and 140 miles per week biking. Completed in Switzerland doing a 10k run, 150k bike and 30k run through mountains. Was excited to finish and had a wonderful time.

2018 kind of sucked and i made excuses sp now i am rebooting.

I have done about 12 100 mile bike rides and most were under 5 hours , 40k bike in 1:03, and can almost run better after biking than i can just regular running, lol. I've been ranked in top 30 for my age group most every year i have competed, though my running is usually my weak spot.

Up until 2009 i was a smoker and in 2010 my dad died from copd and did too much damage to his body smoking cigarettes for so many year

Joe - welcome. Can you give us maybe a bit more of your history (it sounds very interesting to those of us who don't know you), and what your goals are for this year?

brentnet

Joe - Good to hear from you! The gang is getting all back together! I've had spurts of not-so-great running with a second child and movie houses, but I'm starting to get back into shape again.

runethechamp - Get better... no fun being sick.

cfarr - You seem to have the same mentality towards running that I do. I've got 50 as my minimum number for the week. Last week, I ran 27.5 miles on Saturday and Sunday to make sure I got to 50.

MickJogger - I'm just looking forward to like 8 weeks from now when we finally start to hit spring weather!

ocramireob - I saw that time and thought it didn't make sense because it's an outlier with your other times. I think you will destroy that time with the training you've been putting in.

JamesD - I don't think strides would be the reason you ran poorly. I have run over 100 races and have found sometimes you just don't have it. I'd be curious if you ran the same race two weeks later if you wouldn't run closer to what you expect. 1 minute off a 5k isn't like an epic blowup for the first race of the year.

PK - Solid week! Your Thunder are playing solid right now but Westbrook still doesn't look right. I'm curious - you always throw your mileages and paces out in metric but your log is in miles. Is that just a favor for us mathematically challenged? Do you record in km or miles or doesn't really matter to you? I've been running for like 16 years now and still struggle doing km-to-miles math. I do a lot of workouts on Zwift and they'll be like "turn your treadmill speed to 13.9 kph" and I have to do quick math to figure out what that is in miles per hour. Gets harder to do the more tired I am.

watson - How crazy that your hottest day ever and my coldest day in 23 years is the same time? I can sympathize - I'm an awful hot weather runner, as well.

Jmac - I seem to do well when I change focus. In the winter, I usually do a long of long, slow miles. In the summer, I'll throw in some mile/5k training type stuff. In the fall, I run a TON of workouts because I coach HS cross country. I think it helps me to mix it up, as well.

Flavio - Get better soon man. That stuff gets old. I've got to drop a little weight to help my running out, as well!

Me -  Pretty solid week. Got in 63 miles with a longest run of 12. Had a few good workouts this week. Had a really fast mile (6:20), 3x800s (2;55-ish), 4 400s (1:22/1:22/1:20/1:17) on Wednesday and then 3xmile (5:50), 3x400 (1:20) on Friday. Planned to go longer for the long run this weekend, but life got in the way. Wound up running 12 miles after Super Bowl on Sunday and going to bed at like 1:30 AM. Alarm came early this morning, but I feel really good about how the week went. My goal for this month is to run more miles than last month despite having less days and throwing a 10 day vacation in there, as well.

watsonc123

Brent - it is climate change, which causes more extremes.

Joe - big welcome back.  Be careful with predictive text on here.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Joe hi long time no see. Good to have you back.

I think I last heard from you in 2015 or when those RW forums closed.

Brent that's a very nice week. OKC going ok but still a bit of a rollercoaster to follow. Golden State still beatable. Too many drama queens in their team with Green and Cousins.

I use kms but the strava converter that copies my week puts it in miles.

Jmac it's a struggle right now. The running has become my 2nd job.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac it's a struggle right now. The running has become my 2nd job.

I go through that same feeling during many weeks of the cycle where I really don't enjoy running. it's much easier when your calendar is completely free, as it has been for me lately. When I was trying to do 70 mpw in December with all the holiday nonsense, weekend travel plans, and busy work schedule, I hated even the thought of running. Just gotta get through it!

Brent - Running after the super bowl! That's a first, would be cool to look at Strava to see how 10:30 PM on a Sunday after the SB compares to other Sundays at 10:30 PM. I bet the volume is 1/10 of what it normally is.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Marco - Glad your January was awesome.

James - Don't sweat it. It was your first race in a long time, plus you had fun doing it!

Mark - Keep us updated on the Strava segment feud!

Piwi - Solid work.

JMac - Nice week.

Flavio - Good luck getting over that cold. 1lb/wk is pretty good!

Rune - Bummer about the flu. Hopefully you get over that soon, and the injury quickly as well.

Me - Last week was largely a bust, which sums up the running year so far for me. Two good runs early, then I missed a couple days with silent migraines (nausea + vertigo, but no pain). I planned on pushing my LR from Saturday to Sunday so I could be home that morning since DD1 had a friend stay over for her birthday. That didn't pan out when a GI bug hit me early Sunday morning. I'm over that now, but still feeling a bit weak, if that's the right word. I'm now hoping to get in a workout and one, maybe two, easy runs before heading with the family to go skiing for about a week. It's totally possible to get in quality run training in the mountains while snowboarding all day, isn't it??

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: