Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For Piwi:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1/3/18167155/russell-westbrook-shooting-struggles

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

JMac - are you going to also do other races too?  I am racing a 5k this Tuesday.  It is a play it by feel race for me, as I don't know where I am at.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - are you going to also do other races too?  I am racing a 5k this Tuesday.  It is a play it by feel race for me, as I don't know where I am at.

Yes, all races. We can include marathons too but 5K/10K are certainly part of our list as we prep for halfs. I didn’t even run a half last year.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - This is the first time I've seen you in this neck of the woods. Planning on sticking around?

I wasn’t planning to, but I like the chilled out vibe on here and Piwi needs wants me here!

I’ll be 53 in a couple of weeks time on the 17th of January but I don’t like a fuss as it’s only a number! My only sporting history is golf and I was a fanatic, mainly because my Dad was a fanatic - I got down to 7 handicap in my teens, but gave it up when I moved to London. I started playing again in my 30’s when I moved to Brighton, but eventually realised that golf wasn’t for me (when you sling an expensive driver into the lake you know it’s game over).

At 41yo I was starting to put on weight and one day my wife suggested going for a jog in our local park and I thought why not? The rest is history and was hooked....and got my first running injury 2 weeks later!

My first race was a 10k with a goal of sub 1 hour. I smashed it in 52min!!!

12 years later I’ve run 37 marathons. I’ve been a pacer at my local Brighton marathon 5 times (3:15/3:30)...but 2019 will be the first year I’ve ever raced it and Piwi will be giving me motivation! I’ve also been the 1:30 Brighton Half pacer on numerous occasions...including next month which means I need to get my act together pronto!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey its definitely lower key in here than on sub 3. You will be the 3.30 pacer again at Brighton this year,,,,pacing me 

Jmac I didnt read it all as its old news to me. he has been terrible. Good news is they are 2nd in the west.

I failed the hop test today so back to square 1.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - as the Prolific Racer of the thread... I've got a few to kick things off.

Maraetai Beach Half Marathon - March 17 - aim TBC

Waterfront Half Marathon - April 14 - aim 1:15:39

Christchurch Half Marathon - June 2 - aim 1:15:39

Yes I'm gunning for the PB.  Waterfront will be pretty weather dependent as the temperatures could go either way, and wind could stuff up what is otherwise a very fast course.  Christchurch should be a good shot though unless we get an early winter storm.

I'm running Coatesville HM in Feb too but not really racing it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Since we are discussing races... going against the rules I will run a Marathon (the Belfast city marathon on the 5th of May) with 2 objectives: race the marathon and kick the last 6 miles instead of jogging them with cramps as I did in my last 4 marathons, and prepare for a half marathon.

I know it sounds crazy running a marathon to prepare for a half, but I really believe that I need to change something in my body and my mind before I can actually run a HM below 90' (I always have some sort of problems in mile 8 to 11 and it feels like head and lactic acid together, so I have decided to have miles in my legs before i start training for a half).

after the Belfast city marathon on the 5th of May, depending on how I feel, I may run a half marathon like last year in June (date to be confirmed), a 10 K (Laganside at the end of August/beginning of September) and the Belfast city half marathon at the end of September. I may want to run some 5K park run and I will look into faster track races as well, but I haven't figured them out yet. There is a lot of cross country going on at the moment, but my travelling, work and family needs are not allowing me to get time during the weekends after 7:30 am to run...

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Marco - No problems with being a bit aggressive with mileage build up so long as your body agrees to it. Make sure to listen to the signs of over training (general tiredness, hard to sleep, elevated heart rate).

Corey - good to see you around

DJ - It’s exciting to see what times you can reach this year.

Piwi - Nah, still a hobbyjogger! Remember those one leg squats I posted a few pages ago on the 2018 thread? Those could help you tremendously with the calf aches.

I think Kayaking and surfing give you a great boost of fitness. Us boring citizens have to resort to the bike though.

Mikkey - you’re damn fast for a 53 year old. Coincidentally, my first race ever was also a 10k, also with a sub 1h objective and a 52 min time.

me - 3000m test didn't happen yesterday as the track was closed. It was great to meet the team, they've got a few beasts for sure, it's funny how many people who don't look fast are actually very fast.

In summary the coach will have me on a 5 days a week regimen with speed workouts. We will focus on speed, and after I become faster then try to transfer that to higher volume and longer races. Volume for next week is only 45km.

And he told me to continue with the functional training, so I'll be doing that on the rest days.

He seems like a no nonsense kind of guy and I liked the methodology.

To be continued...

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dj_dubb

So we have: Northern Ireland, Switzerland, Brazil, USA, New Zealand all represented here. Any countries I missed? Thought there was a Canadian in here somewhere too...

Jmac - right now I have only one actual time goal, and that's for my 25k coming up on 1/19. Goal of sub 90, which is around 5:47 per mile avg. Automatic PR though, as this is my first 25k ever. RE: injury - I was able to run through some pretty serious PF and Achilles tendonitis back in the spring of 2018. There were definitely times that I thought if I don't take some time off I'm going to make things seriously bad. What got me through was ice, ice, and more ice. The kt tape didn't really do much for me. Stretching seemed to make things worse also, but I could have possibly been doing it wrong. I know your injury is a bit different, but same general precautions and treatments I think.

P Kiwi / Jmac - Russ will find his shot eventually, he's too competitive and hard on himself not to. I see him spending hours alone just shooting and trying to figure it out. But my goodness, that was about the worst I've seen him play against the Lakers. And yeah, Adams makes me cringe at the free throw line too. Dude is a beast though and I hope he makes it to the all star game.

P Kiwi - You got sub 3. Years ago we motivated each other to hit our targets, and nothing's different now!

Watson - good memory, my full marathon PR is 2:47 and change back in 2016 (would have to look it back up for exact). So yeah, I guess I don't have much to whine about, but considering I've run 75s for the half I believe 8 times now, you would think I'd be able to serve up something like 2:42 or better, at least once. Time for you to turn the volume around this year...

Keen - I believe we are now competing for total mileage..... And I'll be in Tulsa in a couple weeks, and that snow you mentioned needs to stay away. Is that typical for your state this time of year?

Mikkey - at 37 marathons, you'll be the one I seek council from if/when I do my next full.

Flavio - when you're ready to go low carb, hit me up!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Now the thread is cooking along like normal!

Piwi - Bummer about the hop test, hope that goes the other way quickly.

Mark - Awesome that you're going for a PR. That will be fun to watch.

Marco - I see nothing wrong with your plan, though flat-out racing a full will require a good amount of recovery time before the half - sometime in June could well be enough, though.
                      Here's something that I discovered helped me: towards the ends of longer M-pace, Tempo, or Interval sets when things really hurt and all I wanted was to stop telling myself "sticking to it now is the difference between finishing the race strong and jogging it in the last few miles".

Flavio - I was (and still am) looking forward to hearing about that test, but at least you got to meet the crew. 45km/wk isn't much at all. Planning on a ton of faster work in that? Lots of intervals and reps?

DJ - You're going to be winning the mileage war for quite some time with the way my year is starting off. Hopefully I'll take over the top spot before December! Seeing you list some goals/PRs reminds me that I'm by far the slowest person I know who runs as much as I do.  
                      What are you coming to Tulsa for? There is quite a bit of good running in Tulsa, but depending on where you are/where you're going it can be from very flat (river trail) to very hilly (almost everything else in Tulsa).
                      The snow isn't typical at all. It's actually far more common for us to get ice storms, but those are still usually only 1-3 times per season. Three days ago we were forecasted to get 6-7" of snow, and yesterday/last night we ended up with between 1-2" of sleet and snow combined. It will likely be completely melted by Monday, with the exception of some odd places that are in shadow most of the day. I'd be surprised if there were any snow/ice around to mess with your Tulsa trip. 
                      Low carb? I'm actually somewhat interested in this. Tell me more.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - no, not really, he will have me run less in comparison. I will have extra load from 5 or 6 weighted exercises to strengthen the legs twice a week.

I was reading your post and thinking something.

Allow me to the the devil's advocate. You have an enormous capacity to absorb and recover from training.

Wouldn't it be beneficial for you to have a period to focus on pure speed? Like dedicate 3 to 4 months to work on raw speed, get your 400m under a minute, a sub 5:50 mile?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - I actually have thought of doing a very speed-oriented block. The closest I've been to that was the HM cycle from last spring. 400m in a minute sounds insanely fast, but the sub 5:50 mile I could probably do without much issue once I get back into the swing of things- I did a (GPS measured/1 major road to another) road mile in ~5:40 a couple years go that almost killed me, but replicating that now would likely be a pipe dream.
                          I wonder how trying to focus more on speed (but with long LRs) would affect the marathons I have planned for spring. Not that I'm planning on making a PR attempt at either, it would be more of a "how does this change how well I can cover the full distance" thing.

Mark - Somehow I've been paired up with a FIDE Master from Turkey in one of my daily games on chess.com. I've never played an actual titled player before. Somehow I think (key word: THINK) I have a slight edge, and I have a plan on how to proceed. It'll be interesting to see exactly how this all comes crashing down around me.
                          For the non chess-playing, this is approximately like me being paired against a 2:30 marathoner in a race.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

watsonc123

Keen - I would NOT cut volume for the marathon.  After that would be a good time to cut and see if you can lower your 5k and 10k times.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Watson - I should have been more clear, but I wasn't planning on cutting volume ahead of the marathon, but rather adjusting workouts. Instead of maybe 2x tempo workouts or a tempo and an M pace workout per week, I've thought of maybe one tempo/MP workout and something like hill sprints, track reps, or intervals once a week, or perhaps twice (removing tempo/MP that week). Then maybe after the marathons focus more on the hill repeats/reps/intervals workouts.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - whaaaat? I'm curious to see how that game goes!

Mikkey - I was thinking of perhaps giving pacing a crack after this year.  Would be good to help others achieve some of their goals.  Most likely 1:30 HM I think.

Me - smashed out a 31km long run this morning, which is my longest since mid-2017.  Actually felt pretty good and much better than last week's 28km-er despite being a little quicker overall and having a nasty hill right at the end.  I seemed to naturally pick up pace on the way through while keeping the effort comfortable - started at 4:40/km and finished at more like 4:20/km (excluding the hill).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"