Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Should be a good weekend of racing. Corey is up first, then Mark from the future in the Eastern Hemisphere, then me.

Keen - I remembered something you said, which was trying to encourage me to do ultras. That will NEVER happen. I enjoy running for times and competition, and I don't see how ultras will do that. Sorry to say, but ultras to me are where runners go to die (not saying you are doing that, but I get that feeling from a lot of older runners). I plan on going out in a blaze of glory, Piwi style, rather than moving over to ultras.

Flavio - I'm so excited by your training because I've been around this board for 3 years and haven't see you PR, so it's exciting to see you have some potential out there! Just stay healthy and things are looking good for 2019.

I realized all of the dates on the front page must look weird to you non-US folks since they're backwards, but TOO BAD, this dictatorship is being run from the US and damn you all if you think we will conform. USA! USA! USA!

(said while secretly wishing we would move to the metric system because it makes so much sense )

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - How have things with the coach been going? That sounds like a fun race, and quite the workout as well. I'd like to do a relay like that at some point.

Watson - That's actually a pretty good thought.

JMac - I totally get that regarding ultras. It definitely is a place some people end up when their speed fades, but endurance remains. I do know a couple local fast (~2:50 marathon) runners who do ultras on occasion. I'd like to do more than the one I have done, but thus far trying to get faster has taken precedence over going longer.

Looking forward to getting in my biggest workout since November in on Thursday. Here's hoping that the forecast of rain & 20+ mph (~32km/hr) winds is wrong.

Random: Do you non-USA guys use km/hr or m/sec for wind speeds?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

watsonc123

km per hour for wind

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

jmac I didn't get another ruling on my race, so I am not racing this weekend.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - this one is slightly different as it allows you to run a lap all out and then rest for 30 minutes while the other runners run their turn. I hope it turns out fun, I saw some videos from last year and the banter was hilarious.

Jmac - you are right, my last PR was back on April 2016. Since then I’ve been fighting a war against my weight and losing badly.

That said, I cannot change any of that so I’m focusing forward now.

I believe I’m finally doing most of the right things.

The dates don’t bother me as I work for American companies for roughly 15 years now, there are times I even forget words in my mother language.

And we all know that the best date format is YYYY-MM-DD.

Keen - Contrary to my stupid previous belief, I’m not running into the ground by running faster workouts. In fact I have the same niggles as before, when I ran slower pace and higher volume.

We use km/hour for wind speeds when referring to a hurricane. I don’t recall ever any Brazilian talking about wind speed during a race. It was either the wind was too strong, or not a factor.

me - yesterday's workout was a failure in that I could hit the volume but not the pace. It was supposed to be 5x200 + 4000 in 16 minutes followed by 5x200. The initial 5x200 killed my legs and during the 4000 even though aerobically I was not that bad my leg turnaround just wouldn't get quicker.

And a quick update on how things are going.

I believe I'm finally doing most of the right things (after 9 years, better late than never).

I'm doing strength and conditioning with functional training, I finally have a coach to oversee my training and think it through, and I'm following all the recommendations from a nutritionist.

Functional Training

The functional training has been key in keeping me injury free. They've been doing continuous and incremental work to strengthen my core, especially oblique abs, then glutes, then hamstrings and lately there's been a lot of work on the latissimus dorsi (aka the one in the back just below the scapula). Strength has always been a key weakness with marathons destroying me and half marathon races typically requiring 4-7 days of complete rest to recover. I used to have a lot of issues with the quadriceps muscles and lower back pain. Most of that is now gone. A lot of the niggles with calf are also gone or at least more manageable. I hope to eventually graduate and have "regular man strength" which to me means being able to do 10 pull ups in one serie. I also have long term goals of improving dorsiflexion on both sides (a regular cause of niggles), improving squating ability, and being able to hold a crow pose for 30s.

Running coach

The running coach has been tremendous so far. It's one of those things like before-after you own a car, you have no idea what you're missing. For a very long time I avoided having a coach either due to the cost of it or because I figured they wouldn't be of much help, as at the time I thought they were only good for real beginners or for very fast people. It turns out thinking through the training plan with micro and macro cycles (modularization) is excellent. I will hold my thoughts on this one until I can show real result improvements but the feeling is that I'm going in the right direction, if only, for the variety in training (I used to run the same pace all the time).

Nutritionist

The nutritionist has been great to help me figure out what I've been doing wrong. I have started since last week to take pictures of everything that I eat. I intend on building a complete log with pictures of my meals, notes from the training session done in that day, if I had a bad night of sleep, and if I had crazy cravings during anytime during the day. He built a sensible meal plan for me and I'm trying my best to follow it, though I have skipped some recommendations during the last month and paid for it.

The one thing he changed more drastically was greatly increasing the amount of protein I consume during the day, which seems to be linked to the sense of satiety. He has since last week slightly decreased the amount of food I consume everyday, which off course I'm not happy about but I know I need to do it.

What has not been gone so well

The one thing I have not been able to do very well is sleeping. Especially during the summer (no AC) it has been hard to sleep well, which is key to recovery. Let's see where this goes. My anxiety has also spiked up at times, which is something that consumes a lot of energy.

Sorry about the long blob of text, I hope this can be useful to people facing similar issues (lack of speed, weight gain, plateauing in results).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - great post. Part of weight loss will probably just come from your more consistent training. I know that I put on weight between marathon cycles, but right when I'm back to averaging 60+, it all comes right back off. Now that you have a coach and your training is going well, I wouldn't be shocked to see you lose more weight. The hardest part is controlling the food cravings: I am CONSTANTLY hungry. Some days I do better than others.

Me - Finally had a good tempo workout! Starting to get close to that stage of "I can eat steel," which is just in time for the half this weekend. My legs feel phenomenal: I ran the 17 yesterday and wasn't really tired afterwards, nor do I feel it today. I'm going to listen to my body here, but right now it's telling me I don't need to taper into this half as much as I thought. Instead of doing something like 6 8 0 4 into it, I might do 6, 10, 0 6. Only 4 more miles, but allows me to keep up with my mileage the previous weeks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - really good post.  It's important to take a step back and look at what's working and what isn't working in training sometimes.  Awesome to see the functional training, coaching and nutrition are working for you.

Speaking of weight loss, I've dropped from 73kg to 71kg.  It's kind of weird because my training volume has been very consistent since December and I've basically been eating the same.  Probably that gastro bug I had a week ago played a part but I had definitely dropped a little before that too.  Don't seem to have lost any strength on the weights so I'm calling it a win!  It's really weird how there was just this stepchange out of the blue, but if it gets me 1% extra speed then I'm cool with it.

JMac- aside from racing, I think probably the most satisfying aspect of running is really nailing a good workout.  Good omens for Sunday!  It's still looking like it's gonna be warm here so it's definitely not going to be a particularly fast one for me - but it is a good test for Waterfront nevertheless.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Interesting stuff Flavio - I think a log of everything would really help pinpoint why you might have a bad day.

JMac - nice, I wish I was eating steel too.  (Flavio, you better check with your nutritionist before you do that).  I'm still really having to work and suffer on speed workouts, except a couple 2 weeks ago.

Good luck to the racers this weekend, JMac and Mark. Have I missed anyone?  Edit:  Good luck to dj too.  cfarr, what has happened to your race?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - Awesome post! I like seeing your point of view on the various aspects involved with the coaching.
                    Upping the protein intake should also help with recovery - your body should be better able to rebuild after those hard workouts.

JMac - Nice T workout! Those last T miles were actually quite speedy.
                    Food cravings: I've found that timing my meals helps with this (as well as stressing protein/fats over carbs). If I can delay breakfast until 9-10 or so (post-run I typically don't have an appetite), lunch at 1-2, then supper around or a bit after 6, hunger doesn't get to me too badly.
                    Looking forward to seeing what you do in the race this weekend.

Mark - Awesome that you dropped a bit of weight without any apparent negatives.

We're having some crazy winds here! Last night a storm rolled in and winds have been 30+mph / 50+km/hr ever since, and will probably continue until sometime tomorrow. As much as I want to get on the roads for my workout tomorrow I may get on the treadmill so I can execute it without undue influence by the wind.

Work FINALLY sent out the email about the internal "lottery" to get an entry into the OKC Marathon in 6 weeks. In reality there's no lottery, since as far as I know everyone gets an entry.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Hi all,

Lots has happened in a couple of weeks I have been sick... I am hopefully back for real now.

Flavio - thanks for the great post.  great to see your opinion and ideas on functional training, coaching and nutrition and that those are working for you. It turns out that coach are not really around in Northern Ireland. But our running club has a couple and I am going to talk with them. However, most probably they won't coach me as they do not have time.

Mark - great win win situation! I look forward to your next races then Smile

JMac - working for a US company I got used to it, but you are right those dates for look strange Wink great that you will be able to tap[er with less reduction in miles, all the work and consistency is paying out Smile

I had a forced quasi-stop in the last couple of weeks. I missed 2 long runs and 2 VO max (I did manage to pu t in some miles, but probably I missed about 80 from the plan...When I started on Monday my heart and lungs were great (I managed to pick up the slow pace and the distance where I left it with the same BPM and no tiredness). However, my legs are not there... i am not sure how to interpret, but I am not sure I will manage to hit the HM race pace at the moment. I might hit marathon pace but not for too long.

I am planning to start as nothing happened (the full stop was less than 10 days) with the program, checking on speed and listening to the body. I am 7-8 weeks to the race (full marathon, 5th of may, Belfast), and I hope I didn't do too much damage with this stop.

what is your experience with stop for flu/cold? how do you go back to a training plan for a mar?

have a good week!

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Marco - the books say if it's less than 10 days no adjustments are needed.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Marco - the books say if it's less than 10 days no adjustments are needed.

Yeah, I generally think of it like 7 days. One of the simplest rules I follow is that you should take as many easy days as you took off. So, if you had 3 weeks off due to an injury, it will take you 21 days to get back to running quality again. It generally has worked for me.

Since yours was less than 10 days, I would just do one week of easy running to get your volume back, and then go back to whatever you were doing before you were out.

Hi Marco I was out for 2 1/2 weeks and I feel like I just started running again after a few years away from the sport....I hope you will do better than that.

Flavio what do you mean with the sausage - remember you were the one who attracted that dog - so stop running around with the salami in your pants to show off Smile Size doesn't matter (I know its always the short guys who say this).

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I find it depends on the flu/cold.  Sometimes after the worst of it, they linger for a while and I can run again but it's tough to do any sort of intensity.  Sometimes it's gone quickly and I can pick up where I left off - never really know until you try a run.  Your body will tell you if you need to back off pretty quickly.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

The race on Sunday sold out so they've published the start list already.  Looks like a pretty strong field - there is a young guy Lachlan Haitana who should probably win comfortably if he is on form albeit he's been running a lot of shorter stuff lately, as well as Brad Luiten who has been running well lately and has picked up a bit of pace. Then there are a couple of really good masters athletes, Daniel Coates and Sasha Daniels who are both running marathons in the low 2:40's and should be up there too.

The women's field is pretty stacked with Lisa Cross, Cecilia Flori and a few others too.

If I'm feeling good I might try and hang on with Lachlan and revisit after a km or two if the pace is too hot (also if the weather is too hot, which is a risk).  It's hard not to get distracted by the hunt for podium spots but the real goal here is to really try and hit target pace (3:34-ish/km) for the fast on-road sections of the race (~17km worth).  There's no real threat for the series title barring injuries or sickness (with this race, plus Waterfront to go) so I just need to remember that Waterfront and Christchurch are the real goals here, so there's no need to get over-excited or do anything stupid.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"