Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Speaking of not sure of one's plan, Flavio, you need to get something on the calendar! I can't keep reading your crazy workouts and not see you test out this new fitness.

Ask and you shall receive! I'll be racing a 3K on the evening of April 6th. It will be a fitness test, but I really hope the race organizers get the distance right. It will also be 2 days after my ergoespirometry so very curious if the results will match...

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

ergoespirometry

This is the craziest word I have seen used on this thread to date.

Any rate, been an interesting week of training thus far.  Legs have recovered quickly enough from the race to permit 3 workouts including a tough one this morning.  I guess the fact the humidity slowed me down meant that the race didn't take the toll on the legs that it otherwise would have (I had a similar experience at Orewa last year).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I hope it doesn't hurt in the way I imagine this intrusion of privacy, Flav...

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

MJ - his fingers look quite small...

anyway, this is what the exam looks like:

Ergospirometry

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This is what it said when I looked it up: Ergospirometry is a diagnostic procedure to continuously measure respiration and gas metabolism during ergometer exercise

Look, I'm no doctor, but shouldn't something in that picture be connected to your other gas producing hole? Seems like a clear case of gas discrimination if you ask me.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - another word and I'll post that picture from Strava here 

I see a spike on the graph, right screen. Her gas metabolism seems to be working just fine 😁

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I see a spike on the graph, right screen. Her gas metabolism seems to be working just fine 😁

Maybe too much sauerkraut? ok, I'll show myself out.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Clearly I should be discussing colonoscopies here, and not in the other thread.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DWave loves to show up when we’re being inappropriate. It’s like the Bat Signal going out.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave loves to show up when we’re being inappropriate. It’s like the Bat Signal going out.

Or like the resident from another dorm who shows up when an illicit party is reported, to ask if she can hang out too.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Week done at 70.7km  My legs felt pretty good from Thursday on, I guess a sign that I didn't actually run that quickly last Sunday and it was just the humidity slowing me down!  I'm not gonna focus on pushing the volume too much over the next couple of weeks ahead of Waterfront, already got a lot of miles in the legs this year and history tends to suggest I run best when I've got a mileage platform but focus more on quality in the 3 weeks before the race.

M: rolling/stretching

T: 8.8km easy

W: 12.8km w/ strides

T: 15km w/ progression intervals

F: weights

S: 15.6km w/ 2x20 min moderate-hard effort

S: 18.4km easy / hilly

Total: 70.7km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

Uneventful week, just building up easy mileage getting back to where I was before my last cycle.  It’s been in the 40s/5-9 in the mornings this week, so I’ve bundled up and been hot by the time I’ve finished and it’s warmed up.  I tell myself that it’ll help me adjust when it gets warmer soon, but the real reason is just that I don’t like to be cold when I start. Pollen is still really bad, but it doesn’t cause me much trouble since I’m just going easy.   

Sun - off

Mon - 9.3 miles easy

Tues - 6.2 easy

Weds - 15 minutes swimming, still in pathetic swimming shape but slightly less bad than last week

Thurs - 9.3 easy

Fri - 6.2 easy

Sat - 7.3 easy

Total - 38.3 miles

12-week average - 32 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

James - nice week, you're a good 10 miles per week higher than when you started here.

Mark - indeed, when the weather is hot the legs get a break.

me -Today my wife raced a 5K in 24:07, which is a massive 1 minute PR. The course was unfortunately 80m short, but I told her to keep the record.

She ended up 5th overall I believe, 2nd on the age group 30-39 which is also nice.

A nice week with 60km if I find the legs to run 9km this afternoon.
                              M: Functional training
                              T: 2x4000 in 16 minutes. Actual splits 15:58 and 16:37, lost the legs on the 2nd lap.
                              W: 11 @ 4:37 moderate
                              T: Planned progression run. 1- 3k@5', 2 - 3k@4:30, 3 - 3k@4', 4 - 2k@3:50
                              The blocks at 5' and 4:30 went fine.
                              Once I started the 3rd block at 4' per km (6:35/mi) I could only handle 2km before
                              I couldn't run anymore. So I did the jog of shame back home.
                              F: Functional training
                              S: Relay challenge. A 4 man team trying to complete 28 x 2144m laps totalling 60km.
                              One of our team members was a last minute no show so the running coach got us another
                              guy to fill in. Very good luck for us as the new guy was markedly faster.
                              Basically I'd run one lap and then wait for the others to run their laps, before I could
                              run again.
                              We did that for 5 laps, (20 total) when one of the runners got to tired.
                              Then the remaining 3 did one more lap to 23 laps. And a second runner got too tired.
                              Then me and the new guy alternated laps with him running 2 or the remaining laps totalling 8,
                              and me running 3 of them, totalling 9.
                              Just before I was about to go for my last lap the running coach came to tell us that we
                              had passed everybody and were on the way to win the thing. Now that was cool.
                              Once the other runner arrived I darted out of there afraid that one of the faster guys
                              could catch up.
                              Some of the teams had guys running 3:10/km pace (5:40/mi), but luckily the other runners
                              on their teams were slow enough that we could always catch up.
                              This challenge was way harder than I anticipated. I thought the rest period would be
                              plenty and that I could start fresh each lap, however it would only rest the lungs
                              as the heart beat would come down, but the legs would accumulate the strain from all
                              the laps. Plus we took 4h16 to complete it all, so that's 4h16 standing or running.

The highlight of the day for me was on the 7th lap, when right at the beginning I passed a
                              guy used to run his long runs in 4:15 per km and generally faster than me. He was chasing
                              me the whole time some 50m behind. Then when there were 500m left on the lap, another dude
                              caught up to him, that's a guy who usually runs 5Ks in 16 minutes.
                              I just thought figg that, I'm not letting them pass and sprinted to the end of the lap,
                              eventually holding them off. Luckily they were approaching their last laps and didn't
                              have as much pop on their legs.

In the end it was very tiresome but very entertaining as well.
                              Plus we got a table full of snacks that everybody brought along, so I could fuel up to keep
                              the belly happy.
                              The whole purpose of this event was to capture donations to an orphanage taking care of 350
                              children. We collected over 1 TON of food for them which was great.

On the running front, I was very impressed that I could keep running 3:50/km even on
                              the last lap. I feel like I've already had some kind of fitness break through, let's see
                              how my legs will feel in 3 weeks when I race a 3K.
                              It's been nearly 3 years since I last PRd, a PR for me is REALLY overdue.

James, Mark, nice weeks! Mark think what you are planning will work for you as it seemed to work before Smile

Flavio thanks for the nice report and congratulation on keeping those two behind! It seems to me that all your work is paying off!!! Now whne is your next race (did I miss it?)

Me:

Last week I worked to get my miles back (up to 63) after the cold (weeks 10 and 11 with 24 and 11 miles ...).

This week I figured I wanted to try to take the training plan where I should have been, so I did Tuesday with 6X600 meters a bit slower than 5K race (3'50/4' per Km) and Thursday with 8X800 meters in 3' (3:45 per Km) with 1:30 rest. i ended up with 6X800 + 2X400 at the planned speed as I got a bit cold and sick and didn't want to push too much because I wanted to keep the weekend high. I finished the week with 13 miles on Saturday and 20 miles on Sunday (with a solid 4-5 miles between 7'30-7'45 and 5 at 8'). I am tired, but happy with the week.

Total for the week 70.5 miles!!! The last 13 miles were as follow, with an average of 52 miles per week considering the 2 weeks in which I was sick, and 59 If I do not consider those two weeks.

week                               Date                               miles

1 24-Dec 30-Dec 48
                                2 31-Dec 06-Jan 60
                                3 07-Jan 13-Jan 51
                                4 14-Jan 20-Jan 68
                                5 21-Jan 27-Jan 58
                                6 28-Jan 03-Feb 65
                                7 04-Feb 10-Feb 56
                                8 11-Feb 17-Feb 58
                                9 18-Feb 24-Feb 53
                                10 25-Feb 03-Mar 24
                                11 04-Mar 10-Mar 11
                                12 11-Mar 17-Mar 63
                                13 18-Mar 24-Mar 70

I decided to use next weekend as a test for marathon pace rather than for a race. I am still undecided to whether I should play safe and aim for 3h30/3h40 (this is a PR of 30-45 minutes...) or if I should aim for what I believe I could have potential risking to die down in the last 6 miles as usual and start at 3h15').

when should I make that decision?

have a good day

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???