Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Yeah I get similar and last year around this time got a really sore ankle out of nowhere.  And any easy run suddenly feels hard and I doubt everything.

John Oliver...some of his stuff can be funny but generally not a fan.  But I would encourage everyone to watch lots of NZ youtube videos!

Mark - It has been nice and consistent for a while now - I had one lighter week when I was a bit sick and one planned to freshen up.  Hoping autumn kicks in up there - it certainly has here today, currently 6 degrees and bucketing down.

Looks like you're primed to perform next week, great workout.  I note one of your routines is no talking to people pre-race...might be the only time I see you but I'll keep it brief.  I'll be in a similar frame of mind, trying to chase away the ghosts of last year.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - Hot temps will fry your brains for anything aerobic, even the 1500m.

Mark - death or glory is my standard behaviour in races haha.

me - So the treadmill + mask exame didn't work quite well. There was a technical glitch with the breathing reader, so I had to do the regular tread mill exam and I'll have to book a future date for the full exam.

I was almost bailing on doing it but my running coach just told me he needs the output of the treadmill + mask exam, so I guess I'll have to go back. I'll tell you though, that mask was very unnerving.

The conclusion is that I'm in excellent shape for my age and my estimated v02max is 58.9.

I just plugged it into a calculator and it tells me I should run a sub 10 min 3K. Just like the Garmin race predictor, I'm not yet ready to believe these numbers. I read an article the other day that was talking about how vo2max is a ceiling so to speak and the better runner can stay as close to that ceiling for longer. And there are quite a few factors that impact/prevent a runner from doing that such as lack of strength, % body fat etc.

That said, if I got my sh*t together and lost the bacon, I could probably run that fast (and this is probably the 500th time I said that in this board).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Sagging bacon? Thats why all the Brazilian dogs chase after you.

Great stuff on the V02 max. You could really go places if you were slim like Mark and Jmac. Do it. Showem!!!

Did I tell you that I made the crepioca and actually loved the taste and consistency? Just too lazy to make it every weekend. But Saturday....

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - Just start running 100 KM per week, you start losing the pounds quickly. My weight fluctuates 10 pounds from start to end of the cycle. I don't lose any weight when running 60KM per week, mainly because I refuse to cut back my eating levels.

Steve/Mark - Mark, I said the same thing to Steve a few weeks back, his consistency has been crazy good! For a guy who was always injured (knock on wood), it's very impressive. Also very smart not to be crazy. Finally, I want Steve to record this interaction with Mark not talking to people. I could see him being super intense pre-race, listening to his heavy metal and pumping himself up like Dwight Schrute in the Office. I'm the exact opposite when it comes to race morning, I'm as relaxed as can be and am "over" the race before it even began. Hell I'm already over Boston and looking forward to my 5ks/10ks this summer!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Re no talking - banter on the start line is OK.  Actually I find it useful to wind the clock down to race start as well as figure out if there's anyone around I can work with.  It's more pre-start line (e.g. warm up) where I just try and avoid talking to anyone.  Also I am prepared to grant an exemption to members of this forum because you guys are awesome.

JMac, I do listen to some pretty heavy stuff generally on the way to the race but normally not around the race village itself.  The music normally stays in the car (the exception to this is the Auckland Marathon/ Half Marathon where there's generally a decent amount of time to kill between catching the bus to the start, and the race actually starting).

Steve- definitely starting to feel much more like autumn.  I actually wished I'd worn a hoodie when I was walking to the gym at ~6:30am this morning, for the first time this year.  Overnight lows are generally around 12-13C now and temps have been nice for running the last few mornings.  It's not gonna be that cold, but I don't think it'll be too warm either.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Current very long range forecast is similar to last year, although perhaps a little cooler.

I do find it hard to focus on conversations on race morning...I like it when someone else is chatty so I can just listen but then I'll find I haven't been listening.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Looks like numbers are up quite a bit too Steve.  Won't be an issue for most of the race but I can remember hitting traffic between the 14-16km mark last year so might be a bit more work to find a line there.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Decent week in the bag at 72km.

Thursday's workout was a highlight.  Did a track session on Saturday morning but it was absolutely pouring with rain so it was pretty slow going as the track was pretty flooded in places.

Also got some new Goodr running sunglasses so took them for a test on Friday since i might not get another chance before the race.  Light, comfortable, and they stay in place, so big thumbs up (especially considering the price point is only NZ$40).  Also they have cool names like "Rabbit egg hunt with zombie Jesus".

M: rest day

T: 12.3km easy

W: 13.4km incl. 4 x 3 min moderate / 1 min hard / 1 min easy

T: 16.0km incl. 3 x 12 min @ HM effort (3:32/km, 3:31/km, 3:30/km)

F: weights, 4.5km easy

S: 12.1km track workout

S: 13.6km easy

Total: 72.0km

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

Another week of base-building, all slow though not always easy.  Legs were tired at the end of most runs, though not so much today.  I’d like to stay around this level for a couple of weeks to see if I can get comfortable before I start any faster running.  This was almost certainly the last week with cold weather in the mornings (41/5 at the start of one run), but it’s not hot yet, at least not in the mornings.  Hope the rain that’s predicted for the next several days will wash away the pollen.

Sun - off

Mon - 12.5 miles easy or at least slow

Tues - 6.2 easy recovery

Weds - 21 minutes swimming

Thurs - 10.4 easy or at least slow

Fri - 6.2 easy recovery

Sat - 7.3 easy

Total - 42.6 miles (a new post-1979 high)

12-week average - 33 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Travelling is back on my agenda,... today I am on a plane to North Carolina. I will stay there until Thursday travelling back overnight.

So I had to get my long run in on Saturday (which made my 7 days from Sunday to Saturday a week with 82 miles!!!!) I felt strong enough today, and got in 5 miles at race pace and 2 miles at 7’30. Total of 21miles in 2h50. It went well

I spent the week balancing getting miles in and recovering from last Sunday so the only other workout worth mentioning is a quick interval training (8x400 in progressing from 1’26 to 1’20) on Thursday.

I will try to put 8-10 miles in today once I get in the US. So far I have 60 miles for the week.

have a good Sunday

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

MJ - even if I slim down like them, I still gotta be as strong as they are.
                        I'm glad you enjoyed the Crepioca. It's also super easy to do and a regular part of my breakfast of late, as I'm
                        cutting down on bread. My wife goes with 2 spoons of tapioca + one egg so it's not as salty and then
                        she pours honey and small slices of fruit on top of it, like a pancake.

Jmac - I read that as "I refuse to cut back my eating BAGELS" and it made a lot of sense.

Mark - it looks like you're also doing the 1 min hard/1 minute easy workouts.
                        Also that Thursday workout must give you a lot of confidence, including the fact that
                        each rep was 1s faster per Km.

James - another big week for you, I'm happy to see your progress.

Marco - Those 400 are very impressive! If you manage to get through this week, considering your past big weeks
                        except the ones lost to sickness, it seems to me you are priming yourself to have 7:30 as your marathon pace.
                        What's your feeling at the moment?

me - a small week as I was recovering from the cold.
                        M: 35 min of functional training, had to cut short
                        T: Off
                        W: 6km ez
                        T: ergometry test - no other running
                        F: 6km ez
                        S: 3km race POA night run
                        S: It should be 8km ez, I'll try to get to it before the end of the day

POA night run 3K race report
                        Bear in mind through this report that my previous 3k PR is 10:40.

Though I knew I could beat my time of 11:09 from back in January, I was unsure how much faster I could go.
                        Eventually I settled with going out the first 2km in 7 minutes and try not to fade too much.
                        In the afternoon I shaved my peach fuzz beard, you know, to gain those massive milliseconds!
                        Uncharacteristically, I was not very hungry as the evening approached.
                        Usually speaking I'm blue of hunger around 5pm, but I ate a banana and a small fruit bar
                        in between lunch and the race and didn't feel much hunger at all.
                        My wife repeatedly says I should be more relaxed and not to take the race so serious.
                        My sister is in town to visit an ailing aunt so off course I also signed her up for the race
                        and she was super happy as she broke 8min/km, which is a big thing for her. She's struggling
                        massively to lose weight (it runs in the family it seems) and is fighting an uphill battle
                        with high blood pressure and the recently diagnosed diabetes.
                        My wife was also running the 5k, though she didn't run as well as she struggled with all
                        the water puddles.
                        So back on the race. The weather forecast initially predicted a high of 23C during the race
                        which would be disastrous. In a strike of luck, we've had a sequence of rain and drizzle
                        so the temperature was very pleasant during the race. The side effect off course is that
                        there were quite a few water puddles along the way, but luckily I managed to navigate
                        around them successfully.
                        We took an Uber to a mall nearby the race and made it on foot from there.
                        After a little bit of time to figure out where the bag drop off place was (being Brazil off course there was no signage),
                        we were hiding from the rain under a big tent they put for the runners for a while.
                        In the end I didn't have time to pay a visit to my running group, but my running coach
                        managed to take a picture (See my Strava activity) of me as I was sprinting to the finish line, and the picture turned
                        out great.
                        I tried to position myself at the front at the start. They had distributed black bracelets
                        for the faster people with the premise that they'd keep the faster people up in front, but
                        off course that was never observed LOL
                        Anyway, I was there up in front, second row, when a dude was taping my shoulder to try to pass ahead.
                        I immediately recognized him as one of the local elites and let him pass while saying I'm guessing your pace
                        will be faster than mine.
                        They separated the start of the 5/10K from the 3K, which was a great decision. That avoided most of the 3K traffic
                        for the people running 5 and 10K.
                        Off we go and as usual I'm not as well positioned and with 300m in I wondered how the hell are all this people so
                        much ahead of me when I was in 3rd row at the start. All for nothing as I passed most of them before the 1st Km,
                        but I need to improve my starting game if I want to start getting into the podium as the podium is given to the few first crossing the line
                        regardless of net time.
                        The first 2km go according to plan and like a metronome I run them both around 3:30 for 7 minutes and feeling good.
                        Then it started. Fabulous oxygen deprivation, turning blue and breathless.
                        At a certain point I was thinking of giving up and jogging to the finish line, then I looked down at the watch
                        and there was only 700m left. I thought to myself WTF man, just HTFU, harden the **** UUUUUUUUPPPPPP!
                        I had decided that I would not look back during the race and so I didn't look back.
                        I just looked forward and concentrated on the guy ahead in the vain hope that I'd pass him.
                        And so I got the legs one in front of another, unable to sprint, unwilling to slow down, breathing fire out.
                        I looked up the big clock under the finish line and it said 10:39 and a soon after I crossed it and stopped my watch.
                        I took a moment to recover my breath, then another moment to say a couple of encouraging words to a fellow runner
                        who arrived before me and was all squatted on the ground and puking.
                        I then checked my clock and it said 10:39. Did I break my PR by ONE SECOND? Did I?
                        What if I stopped the watch too soon? Garmin has me at 10:39.5, Strava has me at 10:39.
                        I tried to check the results website but until midnight there was nothing. So I went to sleep in hopes
                        the results would be there this morning. They were.
                        However I'm not on the results. I've filled in the complaint form and now I'm waiting in hopes I'm included
                        in the official results. Until the official result I can't really celebrate as they are supposed to be the source of truth.
                        All I can say is that I ran VERY close to my PR while weighing 4 extra Kg.
                        A little bit more strength, a little bit more weight loss, a little bit more fast intervals and I might just make it!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio nice Race and Race report!

Marco nice Week where in NC will you be?

Mark Nice week as usual.

James nice week, when is your next race?

After putting up good numbers last week with all easy miles, this week was a bit of a struggle.

I was a bit sore on Monday and didn't put in to many miles. I had a recovery day on Tuesday I had a decent workout on Wednesday and felt great doing it, however as what has become the norm, my lower abdomen was really sore the day after a hard workout, so on Thursday my planned 10 mile run became a miserable 4.

I Felt better with a recovery day on Friday and was able to put in 16 easy on Saturday, however todays run was a bit of a struggle again with the some soreness in my abdomen.

This is becoming frustrating my legs are saying go go go but my stomach muscle are saying no no no....

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Apr 01, 2019 thru Sunday, Apr 07, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Link
                          Mon 4.4 8:41 Evening Run strava
                          Wed 6.0 12:24 2wu +400/600/800/600/400/ 100/100 +.5 CD strava
                          Thu 4.0 9:43 Evening Run strava
                          Sat 16.0 8:46 Morning Run strava
                          Sun 10.1 10:09 Morning Run strava
                            40.5 9:45  

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Hi Flavio

The guy was puking??? Haha this is exactly why I think the half marathon pain is much less pronounced as compared to a 5k or even a 3k.

Well done though and love the picture. But why the heck were you wearing a hat at night in a 3k??? Ha!

Ps: all great weeks particularly Marco ( keep it up in Charlotte) and Cfarr (some really good mileage). And Piwi who is back on Strava at least.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - great RR.  Think I agree with Mick when he says that 3k-5k pain is very different to HM pain.  After a HM you are tired but the sheer oxygen deprivation of those shorter distances is a particular kind of suffering.  Fingers crossed they can find your official result and you get that one second PR.

I laughed at this bit:

"My wife repeatedly says I should be more relaxed and not to take the race so serious."

Mostly because I suspect the exact same thing will happen next Saturday night in my house before Sunday's race.

Honestly I really wouldn't worry much about your starting game if you are catching everyone back up at around the 1km mark.  That just says they've all gone out too fast and you are running a steadier race.

Corey - bummer on the injury niggle, hope that comes right soon.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Great work Flavio - I bet you stopped the watch just after the finish line so I think you have a PB coming your way.

Mark - completely agree.  Don't know how many times my gf has told me to relax and just enjoy a race.  She is right though, especially this time because I can easily see myself wasting energy on anxiety this week after what happened last year.

Marco - That's a monster week, well done.

2024 Races: