Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

My week:

Monday                        70 mins incl. 4x500m, 2x1km, 1x2km: 15.83km @ 4:38, interval speeds 3:47-3:58

Tuesday                        Weights

Wednesday                  70 mins incl. 2x20 mins HMP: 16.25km @ 4:27.  HMP average 4:10mins/km

Thursday                      70 mins recovery

Friday                            Weights

Saturday                       60 mins incl. 2km HMP (4:10, 4:07).  Overall pace 4:40.

Sunday                         Weights

Monday was tough in 26 degrees and strong winds, Wednesday was great in absolutely perfect conditions.  Saturday was a real struggle - if I'd had 90+ mins on my schedule like a usual Saturday I don't know if I'd have seen it out.  I'll put it down to being the end of 3 of the toughest weeks in my cycle and the first time in 3 years that I've gotten through them without a niggle or not completing a session.  A few runs with some speed this week but each one will be shorter than the last and hopefully I'll freshen up by the end of the week.

For the first time since August for me, IT'S RACE WEEK!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - nice week, the work is DONE!

HOORAY FOR RACE WEEK!!

No taper madness pls.  Weather forecast is looking OK.  Normally I'd be a bit skeptical about a longer-range forecast but there's a block of 4 days from Saturday to Tuesday with fine, light winds, and highs of 19-20 with lows of 12-13.

Incidentally I decided I need to wear a new pair of racing flats for Waterfront as my old ones were feeling pretty dead in the Maraetai race.  I figured Saturday's track workout would be a good opportunity to break them in, but of course they ended up getting totally soaked in the pouring rain.  Anyway I'm calling that as a good omen since my old flats got totally soaked at NZ Road Race Champs and then I ran my HM PB in them a week later.  Also glad we have a good hot water cupboard.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark, I give no guarantees that there won't be madness.

I checked the Auckland temperature at race start time this morning and it was 9 degrees...more of that please.  Fine and light winds is what we got last year - just a bit cooler than that and I'll give Auckland a pass mark.  Some low cloud cover would be great too.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

This morning (9C) was cooler than forecast (11C).  Temps of 12-13C are pretty nice for running here at the moment and I think anything under that will be a bonus.  The clear skies are kind of a double-edged sword... they will tend to bring cooler overnight temps, but then you've got to deal with some sun during the race.  At the moment, cloud cover looks unlikely.

TBH if we've got light winds, that's the critical thing on the Waterfront course.  I run around there enough to know that it's not windy that often, but every now and then you'll strike a day which is just miserably blustery.  It's only really maybe a 5-10% occurrence but when it happens it SUCKS.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - great race report as always. You’re making such great progress this year. The weight loss will keep coming. What sort of KM are you targeting for the rest of the year? I know you’re eager, wondering if you’re looking to approach 100+.

Corey - have you gotten your stomach issue checked out at all? If it’s still impacting you this much, I’d make sure it’s nothing like a hernia (I think we spoke about this before but I don’t remember what you had said, sorry!)

Mark/Steve - good luck with the taper this week. Glad your forecast looks good, mine does not. 8 days out though so not taking it too seriously just yet, but it’s been consistent for a few days now.

Me - 2nd week of taper and it’s not going well. My legs feel worse than they did at the start of the taper. I think that’s pretty standard for some people, and I never feel good at this point of the taper, but I’ve never actually felt worse than I did at the start. Thursday workout didn’t hit any of the paces I wanted and felt way too hard, and my Sunday “long” run felt worse than any of my 20+ mile long runs. Still an entire week left of tapering so not too concerned. Gotta trust in the taper!

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Apr 01, 2019 thru Sunday, Apr 07, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description Link
            Tue 10.1 7:29 Evening Run strava
            Wed 7.6 7:51 You know the weather has changed when the bros are out that won't let you pass them strava
            Thu 11.0 6:52 3E + 1T + 2M + 1T + 2M strava
            Sat 7.9 7:31 Lunch Run strava
            Sun 12.8 7:26 Another sign of the season change: the MAMIL hibernation has ended strava
              49.4 7:24  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JamesD

JamesD

Mark/Steve/JMac -  Good luck with the rest of your tapers.  I've decided I need to set aside some books to read during my next taper so I don't have time to obsess about the race.

Corey - No races for me any time soon.  Next goal race is my hometown half in November.  Probably will do a 10K in September and maybe a 5-miler in July depending on vacation plans.  If I miss one of those, I may do a summer 5K.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

JMac- doh!  Trust the process! (I hope)

Re taper - Eh, I'm kinda just counting down to Sunday to be honest.  Not a lot of madness, just excitement.  And quite a lot of loud, heavy music.

Last year's Waterfront HM had the pressure of the series title being on the line and needing to beat Brad and Chris... this year I've got a big points lead and would have to have a pretty serious disaster to not take it out (even with Waterfront counting for double points, Troy would probably have to beat me by over 8 minutes).  Not impossible, of course, but it's largely within my hands and really no need to think about possible points scenarios.

Mostly I just want to go out and run well.  I need to hit ~3:33-3:34/km average to PB but the course is dead flat and very quick apart from some possible congestion between the 14-16km mark.  Last year I actually ran 3:34/km for the first half but faded slightly to 3:36/km in the second half.  But Dunedin (where my PB came; 3:35/km) is a slower course, and I'm in better shape than this time last year thanks to some great volume over spring and summer - 365 day mileage is at an all-time high.  I've been hitting good tempo workouts too (that I've struggled with in the past at times), and I've still gotta remember those insane track workouts were only just over a month ago too, and in summer heat/humidity.  Having one week of being sick doesn't undo all of that.  But I don't feel I've really nailed a race since Dunedin (Auckland was pretty solid, but I did fade a little there) so that's the mission.  Low 3:30's, lock and load and get it done.  Maybe with a fast km to start haha.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - don’t forget your secondary goal: put up a time that I have absolutely no shot of catching 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mark: The runner up is a 1:24 type of guy.

As long as you finish you will be fine. And actually your work would definetly let you PR and we expect a big jump Smile

As for Jmac....well, he is waiting for his pray to commit one deadly mistake. Great to be a spectator here.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

great week everybody!

Mark I love reading your posts "last week I ran 3'34 but then faded at 3'36 per Km...That  is a pace I would love in a 5K! When I fade I go from 7 to 8'30 Smile

good luck with Jmac Challenge. JMa, go and get him Smile I think you have a good shot at it!

Flavio well done on your 3K! Nice race and nice RR!!! Responding to the 3h15' pace, I don't think I am there yet and I do not want to fade and walk the last 5 miles as usual. I might take it easier and run at least the first half at 3h30 pace. Although I agree I have put the work for 3h15

I must admit that I am a bit scared by the pace

Cfar, I am in Raleigh Durham

I manage to close the week well, running as soon as I got here in North Carolina (the new hotel I am in is 0.5 miles away from a very nice trail. I went there and ran 11 mile, over 19 hours after I woke up and with at least 10 hours up in the air and probably 12 in planes.

So in total I managed a total of 72.5 miles this week (longest week), but if I consider the last 8 days (Sunday to Sunday) I have run 97.4 miles (almost 157 Km!!!). I feel strong with these in my legs, but I am not sure about risking the 3h15 pace, I might not.

have a good week everybody!

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Good week. I need another pair of Goodr glasses myself. My wife "misplaced" some of her glasses, then "borrowed" my Goodrs. Now those are "misplaced" as well...

James - Good job continuing to build, and congrats on the 21st century mileage PR.

Marco - 82 in a week is pretty big, great going.

Flavio - "blue of hunger" is a new expression to me. Great RR, and bummer on not being in the results (yet). There's one local race company whose races I largely refuse to run since they always have issues like that. Back to you, though: That's freakin' awesome that you can beat or at least be extremely close to a PR with the extra weight and what really isn't a very long time of hitting the training hard. I'm looking forward to what you can do later in the season.

Cfarr - What do you think the issue with your stomach/abdomen is? I haven't heard of soreness like that after a workout.

Steve - Nice taper week. Enjoy race week!

JMac - Good taper week for you as well. Sounds like you're just having the usual taper dead-legs thing. You should come run out here in flyover country with me - no MAMILs to worry about at all, even with the warmer temperatures.

Piwi - How's London?

Good week from me, with a couple good workouts. Monday I crushed a 1 mile uphill segment goal I've had for a while (despite starting a hard running part of the workout a minute before the segment begins), then a tougher-than-I-thought-it-would-be treadmill workout Thursday (it did let me perfectly nail the effort for the "on" portions, though).

OKC's version of Cherry Blossom (the Redbud 10k, wich accompanying bike races the day before) was Sunday. There were some pretty quick-for-the-area results (top 3 were a bit under 37 in the 10k, with a couple under under 18 for 5k) despite none of the super-fast people showing up.

DW and I took the kiddos to a park yesterday to meet up with my BIL and his son. Fun times were had by all, and as usual it's quite interesting to see the differences between how moms and dads let their kids play and explore.

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 thru Sunday, Apr 07, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                        Mon 10.6 7:58 Xert-ing myself up that hill, plus 2 owls & a killdeer 144 (73%) strava
                        Tue 10.2 8:28 Just the one killdeer 137 (70%) strava
                        Tue 3.2 7:58 To the polls and back 141 (72%) strava
                        Wed 7.3 8:41 Why does the sheriff keep driving past me just before mile 3? 140 (71%) strava
                        Wed 2.5 8:15 Felt a little better for this one. 145 (74%) strava
                        Thu 10.1 6:57 3x 12 minutes @ 30 minute max power (321w) 157 (80%) strava
                        Thu 2.5 8:14 1 hawk, 1 woman pushing a stroller, and a lot of soccer players 142 (72%) strava
                        Fri 10.1 7:59 It’s getting really toasty in the garage - Innsbruck 134 (68%) strava
                        Fri 2.6 8:19 Lots of runners and cyclists out today! 143 (73%) strava
                        Sat 15.5 8:34 1 owl, 2 deer (2 strides), & 3 herons (still no Camille) 135 (69%) strava
                          74.6 8:06

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - haha funnily I'm not really that motivated by extrinsic factors unless there's a direct competitor in the race itself.  Besides which, with your improvement, one should never say never.  I'll be looking to wind my PB down for sure this year and I'm pretty excited about the line-up of half marathons... Waterfront (fast), Christchurch (fast and cooler temps), Dunedin (current PB course although I think the course is under review this year), and Kerikeri (very fast course).  I actually just picked up a super-early bird entry for Kerikeri on Friday for $40 (first 100 entries were dirt cheap!!).  As long as I can keep the training solid, there's some good racing to be had this year.

Marco - you are a machine logging all that mileage even with travel etc. at the moment.  I love running when I travel, it's such a good way to explore a new place.

Keen - nice week, good to see I'm not the only Goodr fan.  My wife is the same with iPhone chargers (they get borrowed and mysteriously never reapper...).  Good job on that Strava segment too.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

DAILY WEATHER UPDATE

(because we're Kiwi's)

The forecast for Sun is fine with little wind.  Saturday's forecast overnight low is down to 10C (from 12C).  Good job Steve.

It looks like we're gonna get a windy SW system blowing through Thursday/Friday, which should leave a few nice cold southerlies lingering on Saturday to keep it cool for Sun.

It was 12C when I was out running this morning and it felt pretty nice out there... my hands were actually a little cold.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - yep it's looking good although it seemed to warm up quickly last year.  Mind you, I've probably made everything about last year seem awful in my head.

I've been doing a JMac and having pretty sluggish legs this week - my short interval session last night hurt more than I'd like, although during the warm up I kept checking my watch and finding I was going 10-15 seconds faster per km than I thought I was and felt pretty good.  I'm trying to just take things as they come for this race - I did that in my last race and felt good and had an enjoyable race.

2024 Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

No weather updates from you Kiwis, I'm looking at a near repeat of Boston 2018. As long as your weather is anywhere from 5 to 15C without rain or heavy winds, it's going to be good. I just purchased a pair of gloves that are meant for lobster fisherman, that's how worried I am with frozen hands!

Mark - way to ruin the fun, we need some sort of "competition" in this thread! I'm already over Boston (you know how I just give up on the race that's about to happen, but especially true with the weather) and trying to figure out what to do for halfs. I'm not sure that my half 4.5 weeks after Boston will be perfect for me to attempt a PR, but gotta see how I feel. I would absolutely love to go 1:15:XX this year, something about hitting that 5 is important to me. But after that, I'll have to wait until October before racing a half again. It's just a no go in the NY summers as temps rarely get below 20C for a morning race from June to September.

Keen - I liked your side comment about seeing how parents let their kids play. I feel like within 10-20 years, if you let your kids explore on their own without a watchful eye over them, it'll be considered child abuse.

Marco - what has your build up been over the past 8 weeks? I feel like this is a big increase in mileage, be careful.