Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - it will warm up in the sun (and did last year) but there's a lot of shade to be found out on the course, particularly between Ngapipi Road and Mission Bay.  Weirdly I had an easy run this morning that ended up at 4:13/km average - heart rate was in recovery zone the whole way.  TBH it's probably a good sign (although I've had race weeks where I felt like rubbish and then raced awesome too).

JMac - not pouring cold water on it, I'm just not one to talk a big game - I'd rather get out there and let the results do the talking / hope the results do the talking.  Coming off that crappy last race at Maraetai I'm just keeping my feet on the ground for now!  And yeah, I can understand why you're not interested in racing a half over summer, that weather is just a no-go.  That Maraetai race was the last straw for me for summer halfs and our temps aren't as warm as yours - Dec to March is officially shorter distance weather now.

Keen/JMac - yeah I picked up on that comment too.  Wifey and I both tend to let DD go explore quite a lot but in general I've seen mums being a lot more protective than dads.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac -  First you ask for no taper madness then no weather updates.

I feel like being a dictator has made you more and more likely to make completely unreasonable and unrealistic demands.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

No weather updates or taper madness from you guys. Clearly I can complain about those things at will.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

No weather updates or taper madness from you guys. Clearly I can complain about those things at will.

I feel like you're saying you want me to increase the weather updates to twice daily.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

In all seriousness I dug into the Boston forecast more and it's not looking good. If it's right, it's a repeat of last year. Really need the storm to move south and avoid New England, otherwise all goals are out the window.

I don't know why people run this race more than once. They've had one good racing year in the last 10 years.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I don't know why people run this race more than once. They've had one good racing year in the last 10 years.

Just think Charlie, Lucy, and the football, and you have your answer....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

In all seriousness I dug into the Boston forecast more and it's not looking good. If it's right, it's a repeat of last year. Really need the storm to move south and avoid New England, otherwise all goals are out the window.

Had I entered based on my 2017 marathon, this is the year I would've been running Boston.  Honestly this is kind of the thing that puts me off a number of the big marathons - you can spend a whole lot of money travelling all the way from NZ and then the weather just turns it into a total crapshoot on the day.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - I fell for the trap, kept saying we were going to have perfect weather! I think the chances of getting a good day at Boston are under 25%. Even look at the 7 day forecast now (including today): I wouldn’t want to race in 5 of 7 days.

Mark - yep, and this is the problem with marathons in general. I totally understand now why so many people go for half or shorter PRs during their marathon cycle, even if it puts a tiny dent in their training. I’m so glad I get that new HM PR during this because it makes it at least feel like the training was worth it. It’s also a good reason why marathons suck in general: you put all your eggs in one basket for 2 days of the year. It’s actually one of the things I’m super excited for this summer: racing 5K/10Ks every other weekend. You get to basically train through them and you can just throw a long run after the race to get your mileage up.

watsonc123

Flavio - nice race.

Mark and JMac - good luck.

Sorry for being AWOL.  I haven't ran much the last two weeks, as I have been doing exam prep - passed one, hopefully the other next week.  Will get back running properly soon.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marco - what has your build up been over the past 8 weeks? I feel like this is a big increase in mileage, be careful.

JMac, I have been following Pete's 19 weeks  with up to 70 miles and have been on track almost all weeks (a part from 2 weeks with a cold at the beginning of March and 3 days at the end). I intentionally increased mileage this winter trying to avoid the problems I am having in the last 2-3 miles in the half marathon and in an attempt to finish a marathon running and not slowing down to walk...

Week -->Miles (Km)

24-Dec - 30-Dec --> 48 (77)

31-Dec - 06-Jan --> 60 (96.5)

07-Jan - 13-Jan --> 51 (82)

14-Jan - 20-Jan --> 68 (109)

21-Jan - 27-Jan --> 58 (93)

28-Jan - 03-Feb --> 65 (104.5)

04-Feb - 10-Feb --> 56 (90)

11-Feb - 17-Feb --> 58 (93)

18-Feb - 24-Feb --> 53 (85)

25-Feb - 03-Mar --> 24 (38.5)

04-Mar - 10-Mar --> 11 (17.5)

11-Mar - 17-Mar --> 63 (101)

18-Mar - 24-Mar --> 70 (112.5)

25-Mar - 31-Mar --> 50 (80.5)

01-Apr - 07-Apr --> 72.5 (116.5)

I am paying attention to my body and so far it is going ok. I averaged almost 54 miles per week considering the 2 weeks with the cold, without them I am almost at 60.

This week is going to be a bit of a recovery week with an interval Threshold workout and a long run on Sunday, and I will try to keep the mileage up. Then taper will start (marathon on the 5th).

At the moment North Carolina is in the middle of a storm, so I will have to use the gym. A friend of mine asked me to race a 10K on Sunday, it's 3 weeks to the marathon and I am tempted to go. I might not taper for it and use it as a tempo training.

UPDATE:

this morning I had to stay in the gym and I decided to run a little test:

3 miles warm up, 4X0.8mi with 0.2 recovery (those were a bit more than 1200 mt. run in progression from 3:50 per Km in the first to 3:30 in the last 600 mt. of the last interval). Then I recovered about 1 mile and I run  the last 1.5 miles at marathon pace (8 per mile) and the last 0.5 mile at 7:30. At marathon pace my heart eat was around 156 per minute, which is good considering the workout. Hopefully this is good news for the half marathon in the summer - winter as well as for the marathon.

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Marathoning weather - Issues with this is why I like big races from fall to early spring. Once mid-April hits storms can come up pretty quickly, or you end up running a race in weather that's considerably warmer than what you've been training in.

JMac Mark - That's definitely the way things seem regarding parenting. DW gets a tad nervous at some of the things I let/encourage my kiddos to do (she says it must be something due to growing the kiddo inside her) but she doesn't stop them. It's kind of crazy to me to see some parents not letting their 5-6 y/o kids go near a play area because they "aren't big enough" when those are the same things my kiddos loved crawling over/sliding down when they were 3. Kids are capable of SO much more than most people ever give them credit for, and with a bit of supervised risk-taking they learn their own personal boundaries pretty well also.

Watson - Nice of you to drop by again. Best of luck with the last exam, and the running to follow.

Marco - Seeing your weekly mileage progression out there it looks good to me (perhaps a tad aggressive), but then again I also seem to handle mileage better than most.
                        A 10k as a workout (or even raced all-out in place of one) seems fine to me - I'd just make sure you do one or the other and not mix efforts.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Corey - that abdomen soreness sounds like something really serious.

MJ - 3K pain is gone after 3 minutes haha, half marathon pain is my dead quads for a couple of weeks.
                          So I worn the hat cause there was a drizzle and it could turn into torrential rain, and I have delicate eyes 

Mark - I'm not worried much about the slow bros. It's more that if somebody runs the same time
                          as myself, that 20m gap will remain from beginning to the end and the podium is selected using gun time.

Steve - sorry if you said before, but do you have a running coach?
                          Very nice week by the way, you got the legs moving. that 2x20 min is nearly 5K each block.

Jmac - mileage will be determined by the running coach, so I have no idea.
                          His initial words to me were "we'll make you fast first", so my focus the whole year will
                          most likely be the shorter races.
                          Re: Boston, I know it has a place in everyone's hearts, and I find it cool that people
                          work hard to qualify, but the race itself has little lure to me.
                          Perhaps one day when I'm no longer getting faster.

Marco - what could get you on marathon day is lack of strength. You've been posting some
                          big weeks, so you must have at least some strength, and massive recovery abilities for
                          someone your age.

Keen - "blue of hunger" is most certainly a new expression since I just invented it by
                          translating a Brazilian expression word for word haha.
                          Ah, helicopter parenting, a strange phenomenon.
                          I get where they're coming from though, one split second distraction is enough for your
                          kid to be gone forever. How do you balance that against the fact that it has a very low
                          chance of happening?
                          My brother on the other hand lets his kids run wild and apart from bruises and scratches
                          they're doing fine.
                          I was actually raised on a farm, so I had all the freedom in the world from a very early age.

me - So my results are out and my time is 10:40 

I always giggled at people who repeated their PRs so this is karma.

Though I obviously have a stronger aerobic engine now, my 3K PR is from within a 5K where I ran 3:20, 3:38, 3:42 the first 3km, so it's still obviously superior.

The hunt continues, 1077 days without a PR.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

If this was Letsrun I'm sure you'd say "Flavio went home DEVASTATED!"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

If this was Letsrun I'm sure you'd say "Flavio went home DEVASTATED!"

No we wouldn't. Moran.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I should've shaved my chest hair. That would make me 0.3 extra seconds faster per mile