Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Flavio I couldn't resist that photo opportunity 

The NZ sun is hard on my skin. The English have good skin because of the lack of sun.

Cfarr you should start a hernia thread. There will be loads of advice.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Matthew - Great RR, and great job on pushing through. Finishing time? Do you think it was just gels, or what that caused issues?
      And thanks! I actually don't have any goal races until fall, though there's a HM at the beginning of June I may run if the weather is favorable.

CFarr - I wasn't a runner when I had my hernia surgery, but definitely follow the doctor's orders regarding recovery - which is likely to be a whole lot of "lay/sit on the couch, don't pick up anything heavy". After the surgery you'll likely feel like you're ready to do things (even something as light as sitting up at a job all day) before you're actually ready to do them. Just be patient with it.
      Make sure you tell your anesthesiologist if you have any issues with motion sickness at all and they'll change what drugs they give you. I had a bit of a reaction to one they gave me and I have a very foggy memory of waking up and throwing up due to that. Fortunately I was still numb and didn't feel anything.

Piwi/Mikkey - Should I ask about the sign?

I decided to skip a run and sleep in this morning. For the last couple weeks things have just been getting in the way of me going to sleep when I want to, so the extra sleep was certainly welcome. It also let me rest a little niggle I discovered yesterday. A bit of soreness just above where my right pinky toe joins my foot. It feels like an issue I've had before that stemmed from my shoe putting some weird pressure on one spot of my foot, so it's not anything I'm really worried about right now.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

matthewfschwartz

Watson, Keen- My finishing time was 3:21:36

Keen- I think it was mostly the gels, if I recall correctly I had a similar experience last marathon (although not to a similar degree) with the same gels used. It could be the caffeine in the gels I used (20mg each) because I never consume caffeine, or it could be that GU gels just aren't for me. Luckily with dropping my racing distance down to the half and below, I will not need to worry about nutrition mid race until my next marathon.

Flavio- I understand why you would think I should have dropped out, there was no real physical benefit of finishing the race. Yet I couldn't bring myself to quit when I had gotten so far and had so few miles left to go. If I had felt this way at mile 10 or 13 (and nothing was improving), I may have considered dropping but when I was already at mile 20-21, I had to see it through. In good news though, my knee that sidelined me from running a half in January and hindered my training for Boston was not at all an issue during Boston! I did not feel any pain or discomfort at all during or after the race. It wasn't until a few hours later that I came to this realization and I probed around the knee area (which was a bit tender), but I was very encouraged by the lack of pain in my knee.

PR's: 800 - 2:01.9, 1600 - 4:34.4, 3 mile - 16:00, Full Marathon - 2:54:49

Goals: Break 1:20 HM, Break 2:45 FM, Break 34:00 10k, Break 16:00 5k

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link

Marky_Mark_17

Gotta admire Mikkey's boyish good looks there ... he looks younger than me!

Matthew - I still use gels in a half.  Not sure whether I need them or not but I'm not about to change considering the current approach has brought multiple PB's!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Gotta admire Mikkey's boyish good looks there ...(...l

Gosh people were going on and on onStrava about the bromance in that picture and now Mark too??? Mikkey please stop posting pictures of yourself it seems to have strange effects on the middle aged men here!

Btw I think its the hat, that looks like its for 5-year olds.

The only thing that looks good on the picture is the sign that reads fish'n'chips. I love British junk food!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

With all these great photos (agreed on Piwi, I wish I was aging that well, we all have a total man crush on him), we need some more pain caves. Mark - your isn't even fair, that's just someone at the end of a race bent over, that isn't pain cave.

If you guys want to see what the pain cave looks like, this is the aforementioned "BAA unicorn spiking me in the nuts" photo that perfectly describes how I felt during those last 6 miles.

online photo hosting

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Matt - I agree with your approach. Get those 5Ks/10Ks down while you're young. The marathon is an old man's game, ie it's all about the long run. There's a reason marathoners peak in their early to mid 30s. You have plenty of time to do that after college.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - geez you're a tough one to impress.  Here is one of me wishing the finish line was 10m away not 100m.  Also, WHERE DID YOU GET THE BLUE SHORTS!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Jmac and Mark's paincaves are still relatively composed.  We need to see someone puking etc.

Mick there was a language barrier for Mikkey and me. His Irish and my Kiwi accents as well as suspect hearing on my behalf made for some lost communication.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Gosh people were going on and on onStrava about the bromance in that picture and now Mark too??? Mikkey please stop posting pictures of yourself it seems to have strange effects on the middle aged men here!

Btw I think its the hat, that looks like its for 5-year olds.

The only thing that looks good on the picture is the sign that reads fish'n'chips. I love British junk food!

I didn’t take the selfie or post it on here...Piwi will confirm that I don’t even know how to take a selfie!

Fish’n’chips signs are compulsory anywhere near a British Pier!

JMac - That is your pain cave photo???...you look very relaxed and smiling....a face that’s saying, this is very easy and I could do better! (imo)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Matt - yeah I understand, I've been on the same situation in a marathon and I did the same LOL.

Careful with the fast stuff, at least during the first month after the marathon.
                        Best of luck with your shorter races endeavour, I'm myself doing that at the moment and it's been very fun.

MickJogger - thanks for talking some sense into these middle aged men.
                        You mention British junk food, back in Belfast there's a fast food restaurant with the slogan "Clogging arteries since xxxx".
                        One thing I found awesome in Northern Ireland is that you'd order tea and they'd bring a whole teapot of high quality tea for like 1 GBP LOL.

Mikkey - best of luck on the London marathon. You tapering yet?

Piwi - you guys should've called Marco over to be an interpreter. He speaks perfect English, absolutely not what I was expecting from an Italian haha, just kidding Marco, I'm making a joke on the video below:

Italian went to Malta

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Looking at that picture I hear in my head you saying (with a British accent) something along the lines of "Oh, I do say! A foul stench has wafted its way near the finish line. Oh, well, must PR anyway. Tally ho!"

Meanwhile, Mark is just casually looking at his watch to check his splits...
                          I do have a pair of blue split shorts (Endorphins) from Saucony, but I don't think they make that colorway any longer. Perhaps someone on eBay has old stock.

I felt much better this morning after taking yesterday off to get a bit of extra sleep. I do really love CV (between T and 10k effort) work (and T, of course!). I know I've done some hard work when I'm finished, but it leaves me feeling awesome rather than worn out. I wonder if that's because my muscle makeup favors that effort over shorter/faster stuff or longer/slower runs? Or maybe I'm just crazy that way.

All this talk of fish 'n' chips and pots of tea is making me want to jump on a plane heading across the pond...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

All this talk of fish 'n' chips and pots of tea is making me want to jump on a plane heading across the pond...

In New Zealand we call them fush and chups.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Piwi - you guys should've called Marco over to be an interpreter. He speaks perfect English, absolutely not what I was expecting from an Italian haha, just kidding Marco, I'm making a joke on the video below:

Italian went to Malta

Smile funny Smile

But I  often translate from Scottish and northern Irish for my American colleagues Wink

The fast food you’re talking about is in the city centre (but there are better ones Smile )

-nice pics guys, but far from being paincave pics (although I don’t have any.... people often decide not to take pics of me in races Wink

I‘m off for my last longish run -2weeks to Belfast mar

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

watsonc123

Keen - a lot of people find the quicker stuff can really take it out of them.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25