Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - best of luck on the London marathon. You tapering yet?

Thanks yeah I’m just taking easy now as it’s on the 28th. Then I’m going to Belfast from 1st to 7th May and will aim to do a couple of MP runs on the Mary Peters track in preparation for Eastbourne Trackstar marathon on the 11th May which I ran last year. I might even have an Ulster Fry when I’m back!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Thanks yeah I’m just taking easy now as it’s on the 28th. Then I’m going to Belfast from 1st to 7th May and will aim to do a couple of MP runs on the Mary Peters track in preparation for Eastbourne Trackstar marathon on the 11th May which I ran last year. I might even have an Ulster Fry when I’m back!

Ok, you are certified nuts!!!! haha . I see there's a limit to 70 runners, so approx. one runner every 5m, with a bit of luck they won't do doubles or triples. Still, the faster dudes will have to lap people on the 2nd lane, that'll make for an extra 500m at least. And how would you know your place. And wouldn't you leave the track doing circles to your left 

That on top of running 2 marathons 2 weeks apart 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ok, you are certified nuts!!!! haha . I see there's a limit to 70 runners, so approx. one runner every 5m, with a bit of luck they won't do doubles or triples. Still, the faster dudes will have to lap people on the 2nd lane, that'll make for an extra 500m at least. And how would you know your place. And wouldn't you leave the track doing circles to your left 

That on top of running 2 marathons 2 weeks apart 

It wasn’t too bad last year, I was lapping/getting lapped pretty early on and spent a lot of the race in lane 2. I never train on the track and the biggest surprise was how off the GPS is....I recorded 27.6 miles at 6:45 pace, but my time was 3:06 (7:07 pace). Also it’s a lot easier than a road race as it’s flat and has the soft surface. I need to figure out if wearing Vaporflys on a track would be a good or bad idea...I’m becoming very dependent on them!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Mikkey - I had a similar experience with ropey GPS on the track when I ran a 5000m back in December.  Watch had it at 5.4km (!) versus the actual 5km distance.  This was basically the difference between 2:58/km pace (!!!!) and 3:13/km.  There was basically one corner of the track where the GPS was continually tracking very long.  Anyway as much as I enjoy the track, the sheer mental fortitude it would take to run a whole marathon on the track is highly impressive.

JMac - where's the race report?!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I remember running a 5000m and 10 000m back in 2013 and my Soleus watch measured 5100m and 10200m. Not as far out as Mark's.

Mikkey gave me a big grin when I asked if the Vaporflys made much difference.  About 15 secs in a 5k he reckoned 

I'm back in Kiwi land. Will be a bit hectic this week while I catch up on work and overcome jetlag.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JamesD

JamesD

JMac - Belated congratulations on Boston.  That’s great!

Got my pair of Reebok Forever Floatride Energy (hereafter RFFEs, pronounced Arfies).  They seem much bouncier and a little heavier than the light Nike Lunar Tempos I’ve been wearing - sort of like New Balance Zantes - and my knees were a bit sore after 6 miles yesterday.  No other problems, though, so I’ll see if my legs can get used to them a couple of days a week as a change from my regular pair. The bounciness might make them better for tempos or hills than for recovery runs.  My foot niggles feel about the same as last week, though I didn’t notice them as much in the RFFEs, and I’ll see a podiatrist next week. Mileage was pretty good again.

Sun - off

Mon - 12.5 miles easy @~8:15, a little faster than usual for a long run

Tues -  6.2 recovery including 1 in new RFFEs

Weds - 26 minutes swimming

Thurs - 7.8 sluggish including strides

Fri - 6.2 in RFFEs, felt faster than usual for recovery

Sat - 7.8 sluggish including strides

Total - 40.5 miles

12-week average - 34 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

James - I've heard a lot of sources saying it's helpful to vary up your shoes across the course of a week so maybe that will help with your niggles?

Me - reasonable sort of a post-race week.  Calves were pretty tight early in the week, but was feeling pretty good by Friday. After a decent long run on Saturday my legs were a little sluggish for the workout this morning.  Great autumn running weather here the past few days though so that helps a lot!

M: rest day

T: 10km easy

W: 10.5km easy

T: weights

F: 14.5km moderate

S: 21km easy

S: 14.1km w/ 4 x 7 min moderate-hard / 2 min easy

Total: 70.1km

With 6 weeks until Christchurch, I'll look to get a few volume weeks in over the next 3 weeks or so, then probably ramp the intensity up for the 2-3 weeks before the race (it worked last time).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Mark - good week.

My week was good.  66km / 41 miles.  Am on holiday so don't have access to the table format:

M 12.5km incl. 7.5km tempo

T 8km

W 10km

T 11.6km incl. Hill repeats

F 0

S 18km

S 6km

6 weeks to Christchurch for me also.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

And my week:
                    M: Functional training

T:

Morning: 3000 + 2000 + 1000 all in 5k pace + 5x400 as fast as the legs could go

Afternoon: Functional training

W: 9ez

T: 5x (1k easy + 1k @ 3:45 (slightly slower than predicted 5k pace) )

F: 8ez

S: Off (Thankfully after a 14 hour bus ride to visit my parents)

S: 14 @ 4:19, slightly slower than predicted MP

I'm happy I was able to complete the volume for the week, even though I couldn't

run as fast as was prescribed by the running coach.

It seems either I'm still recovering from the 3k fast pace or I'm a race lion in which I can

race way faster than I can train.

The heart rate numbers were race-like on Tuesday's workout, but somehow the legs weren't moving as fast.

Anyway, these were faster than what I was doing even a month ago, so there's hope.

In other news, I promised my family that I'd race in a costume if I got under 83kg.

I'm 84kg now, so I should probably start picking out the costume I'm gonna wear.

I know you guys favor Lady Gaga here, but I'm personally torn between Tinker Bell and Minnie Mouse.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

Flavio - nice week.  Was there a warm-up for Sunday, or was it MP from the very start?

JMac - put my next race down please.  Shaw Batton X-Country Relay 2km, Saturday 27 April.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I updated the board. I've been a bit delinquent, so if I'm missing anyone, please let me know!

My race report is up over on the sub 3 thread.

Flavio - I like the race lion comment. Definitely true for myself, came nowhere near any of my races paces within training. Trust me, it's much better that way than the other way around.

Vaporfly - I'm surprised Mikkey thought they help that much in a 5K. I can't imagine wearing them at 5K race pace, I would feel so unstable in them! I definitely think 2 seconds or so per KM is about right. Still not sure if I would wear them for a 10K.

Me - slowly getting mileage back after Boston. I want to be careful not to push it, but I do have my half marathon in 4 weeks. Luckily, I have 10 days scheduled off right after that due to vacation, so my body will get that much needed recovery time. I'm not sure whether a PR is realistic just 4.5 weeks after a marathon, but I'm sure as hell going to go for it the day of.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Vaporfly - I'm surprised Mikkey thought they help that much in a 5K. I can't imagine wearing them at 5K race pace, I would feel so unstable in them! I definitely think 2 seconds or so per KM is about right. Still not sure if I would wear them for a 10K.

Yeah, but my 5k pace is about the same as your half marathon pace. 😁.  I’ve never been that bothered about 5/10k races and generally wear my current marathon shoes...so maybe that’s why I thought they helped more.

Holy cow I klicked on that link and now cant erase it from my memory.

Dear Flavio, if you race in such a costume be prepared to be the subject of a Bolsonaro tweet (aka Mr golden shower).

Keen has been doing some great work at really low effort. We need to keep an eye on him and I bet all my debt that he will see a big jump in performance this season 😀

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I've worn new ones for a 5K (to test them) - definitely not the best shoe for that distance, because of the instability.

But....get a few hundred miles on them, and they compact nicely, and then work much better for that distance.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark / Watson / Flavio - Good work, guys!

Flavio - I'm not sure that I want to vote one way or the other regarding that costume!

JMac - Looking forward to getting through that RR. So long as you don't go overboard with getting back to workouts the first ~two weeks or so you should be fine just paying attention to how your legs feel during a run. 4.5 weeks post marathon seems (to me) to be a bit of an awkward time to race something all out - it's far enough away that you should be recovered, but at the same time it doesn't leave much/any room for good workouts between the marathon and even a short taper.

MJ - Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Last week was pretty light from me at just shy of 50mi. I did get in a couple good workouts, but also missed an easy day and my LR (sick kiddo one day, travel for the LR). Looking forward to a workout tomorrow, though heavy thunderstorms are predicted from this evening all through tomorrow morning, so I'll likely be relegated to the treadmill for it again. At least there's the upside of being able to really dial in the effort level.
                                Sunday (OKC Memorial Marathon) looks to be warm and windy - no surprise there!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: