Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - I would totally do a 5k race or something while you're in the US.  I narrowly missed out on a 5k event last time we were in Colorado which would have been great fun (albeit the idea of running on snowy/icy roads around Breckenridge did make me a bit nervous) - and I will admit to also having been vaguely curious as to how much a 5k race would hurt at 10,000ft!

Post-race blues: I've definitely had this a few times, but I agree with JMac and Keen that having a plan lined up with some more races definitely lessens it and helps to refocus the attention.  I know for a fact that I would have been absolutely, 100%, royally f%$@ed off about equalling my 10k PR at Auckland Road Race Champs last August if I hadn't had a second shot two weeks later at NZ Road Race Champs.

I plan basically on calendar years, so I'm pretty well set through to the end of this year now.  I have some ideas about what early 2020 might hold too, but nothing concrete.

One other (minor) advantage is that you can nab cheap early bird entries this way.  I got an entry to Kerikeri Half in November for $40 - when they opened entries a couple weeks ago the first 100 were at a special low rate.  I also got bib 0002, not sure how I feel about that.

Piwi - How is it that I am training/racing hard and I'm still 1kg or so heavier than you haha!

Flavio - really nice TT effort, honestly I would reframe your 'lots of tiny steps' as 'high cadence' which is a good thing - once you've got the leg turnover there you can improve pace by lengthening the stride a bit.

JMac - might be 6 seconds/mile, might be 7 depending how the GPS reads haha.  I think for you, coming off a lot of marathon work, the key is actually going to be getting some really good speed sessions in there.  Your endurance is not going to be an issue. Like they say, train your weaknesses early and your strengths late.  I'd be looking to add in some tough speed workouts, and there's nothing like an HMP tempo workout to test where you're at.  If you're punching out some 5k and 10k races that'll be excellent too.

Marco - please no taper madness.  JMac has had enough taper madness to cover everyone on here.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - I've been thinking the same thing for years on not racing 5Ks/10Ks on weekends as much because they "sacrifice" the long run. However, a couple of thoughts:

1. 5Ks are one of the best V02 max workouts possible. Therefore, don't think about it that you're losing your long run, but rather you are replacing a long run with a V02 max workout. 
      2. You can always run extra miles after the race. It's not the same as uninterrupted long run, but instead of a 20K run, you can do a 2K warm up, 5K race, and then a 13K cool down. 
      3. 10ks are a bit awkward since they're not exactly V02 nor LT, but the same concept applies
      4. Long runs every week may be the most overrated part of training. Miles Per Week is much more important, and consistent ones at that. For marathon training, I only did a proper long run of 20+ four times over 16 weeks. For a half marathon, you could do something like a long run 2 weeks in a row, then race a 5K/10K, then long run 2 weeks in a row, etc. You certainly do not need them every single weekend

Also, you should come to NYC and run a NYRR event with me! Trust me, I'll be much more approachable than Mark rocking out to his heavy metal before a race 

Mark - Agreed on advice for me. Between now and Brooklyn, I'm only going to focus on LT work just because there's so little time and I don't want to touch a system I haven't touched in 6 months. However, starting in June, I'm going to working very hard at Mile pace work, and then graduate to V02 max. I will not be doing any super long LT workouts like I did for the marathon. I also don't plan on touching a 20+ mile long run for at least the next 5 months. As you said, endurance is there, it's time to focus on the other systems!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - Agreed on advice for me. Between now and Brooklyn, I'm only going to focus on LT work just because there's so little time and I don't want to touch a system I haven't touched in 6 months. However, starting in June, I'm going to working very hard at Mile pace work, and then graduate to V02 max. I will not be doing any super long LT workouts like I did for the marathon. I also don't plan on touching a 20+ mile long run for at least the next 5 months. As you said, endurance is there, it's time to focus on the other systems!

You realise you've got a damn good shot at PRing every distance in your signature this calendar year, right?  That is a pretty sweet grand slam to shoot for.  I'm picking a sub-17 5km (that's a relatively stale PR for you!), and you've got to be close to a sub-35 10km too.  I've always been a big fan of 5x1k / 400m jog recovery as a speed workout, but anything between 800's and the mile I find pretty effective.

Actually your point around only needing to find 6 seconds a mile has reminded me that my 10km PR really needs taking down.  At 3:25/km, it's only 6 seconds/km faster than my recent HM pace (3:31/km).  I won't get a shot until Auckland Road Race Champs in late August, but assuming no wind, the course there is pretty fast apart from 1 u-turn and 1 stupid chicane (which unfortunately have to be repeated x5).  No hills though, unlike the course from National Road Race Champs last year.

Steve - I definitely agree with JMac re long runs for half marathons.  They're great for endurance but you don't need them every weekend.  I did 6 runs over 25km between the start of Jan and the start of March, and none in the 6 weeks before Waterfront.

Me - I'd planned out a long run for tomorrow as it's ANZAC Day here (basically our equivalent of Veterans Day), heading east from my house... and totally forgot that to the west is a current Air Force base (Whenuapai) and a former one (Hobsonville)!  Which obviously seems like a far more logical choice given the day.  Also I'm super-excited to go see Avengers Endgame and it will give me a licence to eat piles of junk food during the movie.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

1 stupid chicane (which unfortunately have to repeated x5).  N

My new vocabulary word for today: chicane.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

My new vocabulary word for today: chicane.

I confess I probably used it wrong (but did it because it sounds cool) - it's not a chicane in the typical Formula 1 / car racing sense, more of a stupid double u-turn (refer south part of course map).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Flavio I saw your TT on strava very nice especially without a race atmosphere to push you. I'm amazed at your endurance for an 80kg guy. I'm a giant for a runner at 70kgs now. Oh and cool video. You run like me with a shortish stride and fast cadence. I would love to have my heels kicking up near my butt. Tight hamstrings don't allow it.

Marco I owe Mikkey a coffee so can you get him one for me please. I will write an I owe you on a bit of paper and fix you up when we meet 

Sure I will Smile

talking about weight I need to work on mine... I’ve been over 83 for the last two cycles I need to get below 80 for my next hm! I’m lucky I didn’t get injured with all this extra day I’m carrying around!

Congrats jmac, nice rr!!! Nice 10 k and video Flavio Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I confess I probably used it wrong (but did it because it sounds cool) - it's not a chicane in the typical Formula 1 / car racing sense, more of a stupid double u-turn (refer south part of course map).

Holy smokes that looks like a terrible course, although I'm so confused what some of these arrows are, and what the hell a 4K start is (is that a race distance people compete in?)

Marky_Mark_17

Holy smokes that looks like a terrible course, although I'm so confused what some of these arrows are, and what the hell a 4K start is (is that a race distance people compete in?)

They use the same course for a bunch of different age groups and races (open, masters and various youth grades, competitive walk, etc.) - the different distances are generally run at different times and course congestion is a total non-issue since the biggest race (open men / masters men) might have 30-40 runners.

The yellow arrows are the course direction.  The blue is just the pathway to the start for the 3km and 5km races.  It's actually not that bad apart from the u-turns (nice long straights and no hills), but those suck.  It's in a big exposed valley though so wind is a big risk.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark TBH I haven't weighed myself in ages but am pretty certain I'd be at 70kgs. When I run 50mpw plus I drop a couple kgs. I've kept in fairly trim shape since cutting back to 20 mpw in January. You are about 5'11 ? I'm only 5'8 plus you have beast like strength in that body which adds 2 kgs 

This morning I decided to see if I could still run sub 20 off my 20 mpw average over the last 11 weeks.

Surprisingly I did it comfortably with 19.20 and not near redlining.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

As usual, I worked my way down this cycle in weight as the mileage went up. I’m now down to 62 KG, although that will come up the more weeks I stay at lower mileage. I got up to about 70 when I was injured for a long time at the beginning of 18. At this exact moment, I had to convince myself not to go buy a pint of ice cream while walking the dog. I was good and bought fruit from a fruit stand guy on the corner. I had also considered a huge bag of chips  It’s one of the best things about running 50+ MPW, the ability to eat whatever you want, but you still need those fruit/veggie nutrients!

Mark/Shoes - realized I never addressed this. I can’t believe you race all those distances in the same shoes! I really love having firmer, less cushioned shoes for 10ks, but especially for 5Ks. The Takumi Sen is a great shoe for that, but as Dwave alluded to, they are very difficult to find. I just randomly found a pair on some random website and replaced my very old pair.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - sorry about your Thunder. I went to bed when they were up 15 in the 4th. Up until that point I thought it was the best playoff game of the year so far, but how it ended definitely means it may go down as the best after all the playoffs are over. They just didn't look good all series though

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

What's up with all this talk of weight in KG? I should think stone would be the proper measurement for such a thing, given former British rule of our respective territories. By the way, I'm about 11 stone 4 right now. Or 71.8kg for those not interested in antiquated measurements. A touch over 6' 1" / 185.4cm for some context.

I gather the Thunder are out? I was in the office yesterday (a rarity these days) and heard talk that they hadn't been doing well. Without Piwi to give me regular updates I'm usually out of the loop on such things.

Race shoes - I need to experiment more with this, since I've typically worn the same shoe model for training and races. I guess that also means I'll need to race more as well.

DD1 has been out of school all week with the flu, and since yesterday afternoon I think I might be coming down with it. I've been fatigued and just have that "sickness is coming" feeling in my head, if that makes sense. DD1 got hit hard with it once it took hold, so I'm really hoping this is just caused by really high allergen levels after the rain we've had lately.

Bib numbers for the OKC Marathon came out this morning. If I end up sick and not running this, I may try picking up a 5k the following weekend. Or maybe an 8k another week later up "the world's highest hill" - here's a Strava segment that covers most of that course.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Keen that sucks if you get sick. Were you going to race the marathon or just jog it ?

For a 5k you can be quite aggressive with shoes and go very minimal. I used to wear something lighter and lower than normal for me.

I'm glad OKC are out as they were so inconsistent this year it was painful to watch.

If Adam's gets traded then I'm afraid I'm moving teams with him 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - the reality is, I haven't run enough 5k or 10k races to justify having a separate pair of shoes - last year I ran one road 5k, and two road 10k's.  But I might look at doing shorter races over summer next year, and with 10k's over winter, might make sense to get a pair.

Piwi - hey you're almost a semi-regular poster here again now!  I have dropped a bit of strength but can still comfortably bench press 80kg.  Like a mate used to say, big arms don't help you run faster.  Although a strong core does!

Keen - fingers crossed you don't get sick.  Also, I looked at that segment from that 8k race - that climb is insane.  The Hills Committee is impressed!

24k long run for me this morning, gotta admit the legs are a bit smashed after 7 days straight but it was a beautiful morning for running.  Day off tomorrow with some weights and then Sat/Sun runs ahead.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Benching more than bodyweight is pretty good.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25