Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Flavio don't worry I am too busy to think about the marathon this week (good thing for not going crazy until Saturday...) Hopefully I'll be fine I know I got the training now I need to get the pacing right...

I was looking at the course profile on Saturday and  it does not suit me... I am heavy and do not do well up hill and there is a fairly hilly bit (Mark might not agree) at mile 16-18...

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/ba66e86c42964b8387773decfc75b8b7/courses/79d110ff84e5400e966957981832e17d

I know I can lose about 2 minutes on the pace on this, so I might start a touch faster (10 sec per mile) since is down hill...

have a great week

Hi Marco - I dont have any experience but have run a half once where I went out too fast on a 4km downhill and paid for it later in the race. It was brutal. Not sure how to approach long downhills but better luck to you!!!

Re Kipchoge: is he for real or do they take all sorts of enhancers? I mean Mo Farah is about the dirtiest, no with all the checks that he missed because he didnt hear the doorbell or was fast asleep etc. I am skeptic.

Re New 4%: apprently they might trigger a ban as they are again more efficient than the first or second shoe. Crazy stuff. I hope i will still be able to run in mine. They are awesome.

Flavio: Canova. He probably eats the stuff himself. I dont trust him.

Mikkey: great race!!!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Mark I didn't know about Malcolm Hicks result. That's really fast. I will try and find some footage online. I'm keen to know when the Robertsons will race again. They seem a bit quiet. I might have to ask Pulford who is back from Kenya.

Mick it's always hard to say who is clean or not. I saw a documentary on Kipchoge and he seems the most humble simple living guy around. He doesnt live with any trappings of wealth and eats so simply.

He trains in a camp away from home 5 days then goes back to his wife and children in the weekends.

Those shoes are crazy fast. It's quite an advantage but it seems there is no going back.

I ran a 800m segment today at 3.08/km pace even after going into the ditch at the side of the road twice to avoid trucks. Seems like the 51 yr old legs still have some life in them.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Re the 4%'s - does anyone remember 10 years or so ago when those new Speedo LZR body-suits came into play in swimming and a bunch of world records promptly got smashed?  Well, as much as Piwi says there's no going back, this does remind me a little bit of that in terms of just how much difference they seem to be making.  A lot of it seems be down to specific foam (sure that's an innovation but lots of shoes use different types of foam, the ZoomX just seems to be a bit better) and the carbon fibre plate - and while other shoes have various plates (e.z. Mizuno's wave plate) this is the only carbon fibre one that I'm aware of.

Of course, that carbon fibre plate is also the potential target if they were to ban the shoes.  Just like the LZR bans were done by limiting swimsuit lengths (i.e. no full body length suits), the IAAF could just prevent the use of carbon fibre plates - in fact the current rules probably would allow them to do this already:

“Athletes may compete barefoot or with footwear on one or both feet. The purpose of shoes for competition is to give protection and stability to the feet and a firm grip on the ground. Such shoes, however, must not be constructed so as to give athletes any unfair assistance or advantage.”

“Athletes may not use any appliance, either inside or outside the shoe, which will have the effect of increasing the thickness of the sole above the permitted maximum, or which can give the wearer any advantage which he would not obtain from the type of shoe described in the previous paragraphs.”

Re Kipchoge - I'd be pretty confident he's clean.  The Robertson twins were pretty vocal in terms of calling out Kenyan drug cheats a few years back but both have massive respect for Kipchoge.  The athletes know this stuff.

Piwi - that is a slick segment CR!!!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark if they did ban them I wonder if it would void previous times run in them. Personally I feel they provide too much advantage.

I just watched some of that Dusseldorf Marathon. Apart from the camera bike wobbling around...it was an exciting finish. Hicks got outsprintef by a couple of seconds. Hes quite a big lanky runner. Guys like that intimidate me as their stride is so huge even though most elite distance runners are short.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks everyone for the congrats...I will try and get to know you all more and give out questionable “advice” when appropriate! That was my 8th London Marathon (all sub3s) and it’s an amazing race...I think the crowd support gave me a 3min advantage and the Vaporflys gave me a  4min advantage, so in reality I was probably in 2:57 shape!

Good luck on Sunday Marco, I’m up for a short morning run (whatever fits in with your plan) and will PM you my phone number.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Excellent job on the CR!

Kipchoge - I'm with Mark in thinking he pretty much has to be clean - which is just an incredible thing. He does seem to be quite humble and to live very simply, especially for a person of his means. And that I know of there has never really been a charge of cheating/doping against him at all.

% shoes - The IAAF rules for this are incredibly broad, so they certainly could be banned - probably invalidating any records set in them. Not that I think many "regular" runners who set PRs in them would really consider their own PRs illegitimate.

It has to be a combination of the foam and the carbon fiber plate (which is basically a leaf spring). The Zoom Fly (geez, I hate Nike shoe names) has the same plate, but a different foam and doesn't have the same touted benefits. It logically follows that the vaporfly foam has more of an effect than what's used in the zoom, and that having the plate further increases this (if it didn't it would be left out). Here's the odd thing, though: from what I've seen, the vaporfly foam is only a bit better at energy return than Adidas boost, and actually has less energy return than the EGO foam in the Altra Escalante (though I think it is a bit lighter) - I don't recall any other comparisons I read about. It makes me wonder what Altra could do if they added more foam and a plate to the Escalante...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey if the shoes gave you 4 minutes, then you are in the extreme, because I think most people would say something in the order of 1-2 minutes for a full. Otherwise Kipchoge would have broken 2 hours by now.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey does that guy still send out actual moose mugs or is it just a term now ? Don't downplay your achievement it was well earned.

Interesting times for shoe technology. Time will tell. If they incorporate something into track shoes and records tumble then that might be a catalyst for a review.

I love Kipchoge and he actually trains Monday through Saturday and then goes back to the family. I would say he comes across like the nicest guy. Super humble. The ideal champion.

However, if everyone around you plays dirty, can you win by being clean?

How many people defended Armstrong. It was always the same: I get tested 80 times per year, I am clean. How can someone who defeated cancer be doping? He turned out to be the biggest fraud in the circus. By far.

But at the same time and when you look at what business Iten has become. Goodness. There are agents fighting for talent and young men and women coming to make it out of poverty. Its a fight for survival. I know Kipchoge isnt from Iten, but neither is Mo Farah.

Most people say that Football must be clean because of the frequent checks but I dont believe that either. Even darts and horse back riding is infected.

I believe even the sub90 forum is screwed. Since I am not that fast, I must be the only clean runner here ha!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marky_Mark_17

I believe even the sub90 forum is screwed

Ha if that was true then I would probably be the prime suspect since I do not have cheat shoes like JMac.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I don't want to throw accusations around, but Jmac is most certainly injecting EPO in his VaporFlies.

And Mikkey is obviously an age-cheat, he's probably really a 25 yo kid.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

I took Glucosamine tablets for a while and some others to fix my eyesight that didnt work. Hopefully Im still clean 

Vaporfys would help my aged ligaments but Im too poor to buy them.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey does that guy still send out actual moose mugs or is it just a term now ? Don't downplay your achievement it was well earned.

Interesting times for shoe technology. Time will tell. If they incorporate something into track shoes and records tumble then that might be a catalyst for a review.

I have his email address (from years ago) and will contact him this week and find out. I believe Darkwave ran her MM time last year and actually has one!  You’ll need to take out a bank loan for the Vaporflys!  Seriously I think they’re about 6 seconds per mile faster compared to my previous racing shoes.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Man the beer will taste sweet out of one those mugs Mikey. Good to hear an honest report on the Vaporflys. That guy is so generous to keep the Moose mug alive.

I think everybody on here knows the Moosemug is given out to men who run a marathon in under 2 hours plus age and women 2.20 plus age.

I am not going to invest so much on shoes to get PB yet, but I can see the advantage... In fact, if I save money on food and drop a few kilos, I will have probably more efficiency gain Smile

good position to be. Once I start hitting good times like you do I will start thinking about expensive shoes.

Sunday I am running a marathon on the heaviest shoes I got since I started looking at higher price shoes, the Saucony freedom ISO 2. They are heavy, but definitely comfortable and they give me good protection, and, as a heavy runner trying for the first time am 18 weeks cycle with more than 70 miles week repeatedly, they helped stay healthy. I actually had a bit of a sore foot during faster sessions a few weeks back (ignored of course) and running on these shoes protected me to get an injury...

Today, I ran 7 miles with 2 miles in the middle at marathon pace. I ran looking at heart beat and staying below 150 and run a comfortable 7'30-40'' (15' in total). Now is all easy short stuff until Sunday. Looking forward to meet Mikkey and get some advice! I ran 4 marathons so far and all above 4h15' so I definitely need some work there... although Belfast is not the fastest course...

Piwi, thanks for the explanation of the Moosemug, I was trying to figure it out and, as a good academic, not getting anywhere Wink

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???