Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Mark I would say crazy busy as still in the holidays. Book now if possible. Papamoa is a long beach around 15kms long. My brother booked a near mansion house when he came from the UK last year. Good luck.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

RR Trentham Harriers Club Cross Country Champs

https://www.strava.com/activities/2339894716

This was our club cross country champs. The men did 2 laps of the course, which was meant to be 8.4km - but most GPS's ended up 7.9-8.2km. The women did the same first lap, but on the second did a shortcut for about 6.4km.

We all started at the same time.

The course is relatively flat it seemed, although in reality it was quite a bit more up and down than I expected. Each lap we go through a stream twice, so four water crossings in total.

This was also my first time running in cross country shoes. They quite minimal, with 4 removable front spikes per shoe.

I did a few warmups, and did consider changing to trail shoes as the course is pretty flat. But decided in racing in the cross country shoes.

I'm hoping that I can race around 4:15/km pace.

The start is on flat grass which is cut reasonably short which heads out to the river bank.

As per most races, most of us start too quick. I settle just behind a few people, we're going about 4:10/km pace and I feel fine.

We're go over the stop bank, and then turn right and run beside the drive by the river. My first km is through at 4:20 and I feel ok.

During the second km, I pass a few people, then turn right to go over the stop bank account. There's then this quite slow part over long grass before we head into the bush for a short while before coming out and heading towards the fields. I then run on the fields as we head towards the next bush section, there's a couple of people just ahead of me.  Second km in 4:19.

And I turn in to the bush.  The third km was really slow. At the time I thought GPS was getting lost, but afterwards I realize GPS did a pretty good job, and looking at others on Strava, it is a deceptively slow part of the course. It's mainly through the bush, and I guess it's just slow due to very small up and downs, plus being windy. Most people were 20-30 seconds per km slower in that section.

Near the end of third km, I go out of the bush and it's now mainly grass field.

Third km in 4:51 which seems really bad to me.Fourth km basically gets me to the start/finish. This is across the field, through another small bush track, and then through the stream, and then about 50 metres later, crossing the stream again.

Running through the stream really makes to shoes wetter and heavier. Plus I should have worn shorter shorts for less water retention (I did not learn from the week before). The first cross was moderately deep (shin height), the second was more ankle height.

The course (according to my GPS) was just short of 4km/lap, so through start/finish area. 4th km in 4:33.

First lap was 17:45.

I know I started too quick, it's just a question of how much a fade.

Back over the stop bank, by the river, back over the stop bank and through the bush. I overtake one person during this stage.

There's been a couple of people just ahead of me, but they're now drifting away.

5th km in 4:38, 6th km in 4:43. So I'm about 20s/km slower than lap 1.

I found that 2km really hard. I vaguely thought of just running it easy - it was substantially painful. The two people just ahead of me were now considerably ahead of me.  I could see one of the woman in the distance (their second lap was 2.4km), so I had someone I might catch.

Once again this bush section was slow, the 7th km was 5:12.

I'm then on the field, with about 1km to go. I suddenly feel much better which would be a combination of having finished the deceptively slow bush area, plus I think I can catch the woman ahead of me, plus the brain sub consciously going "I am not going to die, I can go a little quicker".

I soon do go past the woman, through the small bush section - I manage to speed up a little here. Then through the stream, and through the stream again, which slows me a little, and then to the finish which is about 10m short of the start.

Unofficial 37:08, which equates to a 17:45 lap 1, and 19:23 lap 2, which is a rather poorly paced race.

So that's two cross country races in the last two weeks, my leanings are:
      - I cannot do time aims. It's not just how hilly it is, but the surface makes a massive difference.
      - I'm going to have to start by feel. I need to race by roughly how long it takes. E.g. the previous week was 2km and this week 8km, but I probably raced both at 5km effort, which meant the first race I under-performed, whereas the second race I faded (and therefore under-performed).
      - If there's water, wear short shorts.

There's a good chance I'll be racing an inter-club relay on Saturday, which is 3.7km long (no water). Given this will be roughly 16 minutes, I think my starting effort should be pretty similar to my last 2 weeks.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Watson nice report on the XC event, I have ran 3 XC races all 5k's though, and no water crossing. I think the last was in 2017

I've swore them off as I have hurt myself in each of the 3 races...probably due to not being in shape or strong enough.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Watson, nice race report, thanks! I raced a cross country in January and it was terrible. i don't have particular intention of going back again (although it's a great workout!)

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Watson - thanks for the great race report. Also, always wear short shorts 

I so agree with you these x-country races you race for position which makes them fun if you have some people of similar fitness to race against.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Haven't run a cross country race since high school, these reports are making me want to!

And yes, as stated, always short shorts. Mine are short enough that if they get wet and bunch up, it looks like I'm just wearing a singlet. That's what you need.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Am I about the only one here who hasn't run XC at all?

No run this morning (again). We had big thunderstorms last night through the early morning, so I thought I'd avoid lightning by running on the treadmill. The only issue with that plan was that the power was out. Of course it came back on in time to tele-commute to work. Hoping for a lunch run.

I'm leaning towards doing mostly Reps, Intervals, hill sprints/repeats, etc. for a while this summer to try getting my 5k time down ahead of targeting a solid HM time in the fall.

DW is getting back to running again, so I'm super-psyched about that.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - fantastic! your marathon time suggests a faster 5K. Also the fact that you can long run a marathon and live to tell the tale shows that you've got quite a bit of strength. I'd suggest you try out a 3k or 5k race where you don't follow the watts number, just go out super hard and if you're turning blue for lack of oxygen 2 miles in it means you're doing it right. I strongly believe you can run low 18s for a 5k.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Watson so tough to pace by the looks of it.

Keen I only ever ran x country at school like once a year when you had to.

You live in Tornado alley right ? I'd be hesitant to run in lightning too !

I'm doing hillsprints today. Haven't done them in ages.

watsonc123

My girls had their school cross country yesterday.  My oldest came 2nd girl, which I was not surprised.  My youngest really surprised me, she was the 1st girl (and she chicked every boy except one).

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - nice RR.

XC is pretty tough but I reckon a good season of it would help your road times a lot.  The winter XC season in Auckland has basically 5 races over 3 months, then the Auckland Road Champs 10km is a few weeks later.  The runners that have had a solid XC season almost invariably end up laying down really good times in the road race.  It's a different kind of running but it builds your leg strength in ways that road running doesn't.  I thought about doing the XC season here but it's just a bit too hard with my wife normally working Saturdays, plus Christchurch half coming up too.

JMac - yeah I normally wear 4" shorts now for HM's but only because they have storage pockets.  For shorter distances I have a pair of 3" Adidas split shorts I favour.

Keen - can't blame you for avoiding the thunderstorms.  When I played field hockey we played in all kinds of bad weather, but thunderstorms are one thing you do not mess around with if you have 22 people on a field running around with large pieces of carbon fibre in their hands.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - I do want to jump into a 5k to see where I'm at, but it'll likely be a month or so before I can do that with various other weekend commitments. I'm actually kind of ok with that since it'll let me get my legs back under me with some solid workouts before.
                          Unless I wanted to jump into a 1 mile "fun run" and smoke some little kids and adults who can't make it a full 5k yet, there is really only a single shorter race in the entire state that I know of.
                          That race is actually at the end of the month - a 1 mile with an "elite" heat and an open category. Looks like they've put both races on Friday night this year, so I might could make it - previously the elite heat was on a Friday night and the open was the next morning. The family is planning on going to visit my parents the day after (a couple hour drive) but I might could make it depending on when we leave.

Piwi - I am, indeed, in tornado alley. There was actually a tornado warning last night, but they didn't develop. There have actually been relatively few tornadoes the last few years - which I'm certainly not complaining about. I've seen the immediate aftermath of a big tornado before, and it's not pretty. Makes me glad we have a little storm shelter in the garage - AKA a "fraidy-hole". 
                          How did the hill sprints go?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Watson thats awesome for your girls and you as a proud father. Watching my son win x country is one of my best memories.

Mark I dont know how short my shorts are but they would have to be at least 6 inches to cover my junk..................

Keen mother nature is boss. I live in a Tsunami zone.

Hillsprints were good. I think I did them right. I did a solid warmup which happened to be on hills anyway then I did 10 x 10 secs hillsprints up a moderate hill and recovered on the way back down to the start of each one. Felt like my butt got a good workout.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark I dont know how short my shorts are but they would have to be at least 6 inches to cover my junk..................

Someone crack out that video of the dude finishing that marathon!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)