Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

watsonc123

They also made Wolfenstein, which amazingly would run (on a slightly reduced screen) on 80286 chip with just 640kB RAM.

Doom was awesome.  I replayed it a few years ago on a Vista machine running DOSBox emulator.  One of my few good emulator experiences.

Also played Duke Nukem quite a bit.  The make your own level was pretty good.

Not sure I ever played Commander Keen, I did recognise the username.  I think many have, they just did not comment on it.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

watsonc123

JMac - page 1 is missing last Saturday's Trentham Harriers cross country 8km race, result 37:07.  And 11 May, University Cross Country Relay, 3.7km.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

Jmac you slacker !

Watson I do remember  Wolfenstein and played hours into the night.

Cc4life can you run a predictor workout if you have enough time to fit it in. 10k at tempo or something.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I have PS4 and play games with my son on occasion but all this nostalgia has me missing the oldies.

Also, whoever posted that link and video (I don't feel like scrolling back)…why did I click on that?!

Piwi - Probably a good idea but since I haven't been really doing any workouts, I don't know what kind of recovery time my body will take so I'm just going to go into this half with base.  For the past 4 months, I've had a 35-36mpw base with essentially no speedwork.  Did a couple tempo workouts.

3/20 - 3 x 1mile tempos with 1 min rest (5:53, 5:48, 5:48) + 4 x 200R (0:39 with 200 recovery)

3/28 - 2 x 2mile tempos with 2 min rest (11:52, 11:55) + 4 x 200R (0:39 with 200 recovery)

4/3 - 8 x 400R (approx. 79's with 400 recovery)

These are all the workouts I've done all year.  Then I fell off the wagon, didn't have a plan, and just kept plugging along with basic miles.  For the Daniels people, these were workouts I was trying from the book but my pacing didn't match my VDOT for the tempos.  I was faster but that could definitely have been my fault which is why I asked about your experience with the paces.  I really like JMacs explanation earlier for the different paces so excited to see what that is based on next week.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I agree with that assessment - it seems like a lot of the workouts are geared towards elites. The biggest overall change I remember making was moving to the 5:1 work/rest ratio for T runs, rather than using the distance and recovery time in the plans.

Daniels spreadsheet - There was a new one released in December of last year with a couple updates (version 3.1, I think). Someone even added in running power zones calculators to it, which I appreciated!

Piwi - Thanks! 3x1600 at that pace just sounds rough. 
            My username came from this game series. I still play now and then on my phone via an emulator.

Ben - We seem to have a common gaming history! I loved some C&C: Red Alert. It's only "sort of" old now, but I also played the heck out of HALO. So many LAN parties back in college, and so little studying...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Off all the things Piwi had to chose that video. I much prefer what happened to Nebiat Habtemariam, though it was possibly unfortunate for her that she had to wear an oversized singlet and she does not like bras.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Watson - Table updated, didn't know you had so many damn races!

Video Games - loved Doom back in the day. Once games got a bit more sophisticated, my number one game was Age of Empires. Funny how running attracts nerds. I think it has to do with the fact that in order to get good at the sport, you need to get a bit nerdy about the theory/methodology behind it.

CC - Those are some pretty quick tempo runs! Would certainly be indicative of much faster half times, but your time off may have hurt.

Daniels Spreadsheet - My running life would be lost without this thing. It's amazing, even if you're not a Daniels guy. http://www.electricblues.com/html/runpro.html

Me - About to enter taper time, which for a half is just 7 days for me. I nailed my workout on Wednesday, hitting my 3x2 workout at 5:43 pace. This should indicate that I'm still right around my PR pace for the half. It's just going to be about getting good weather, feeling good, and executing. I'm hoping that only getting in 2 workouts plus a good long run is enough to reestablish my fitness after the marathon taper/reverse taper. ETA: I'm more excited about this half than I was about Boston and I have no idea why. I'm anxious to get out there and race it!

In order to stretch even further in the spirit of honest goals, I've set my goal as 1:15:59. Something about getting down to 1:15 is appealing to me, not to mention it gets me within about a minute of Mark until he throws up a 1:13 later this year 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

The tempo runs were probably a little too quick as I was shooting for 6:15-6:20 based on not really knowing anything and little racing.  I think I'm just going to go for the 1:22 and see what happens.  I'm feeling pretty strong and since it's flat, it should be forgiving.  Just gotta be careful not to go out stupid and ruin my chances of running even.

JMac - First off...this spreadsheet is amazing.  2nd...does someone teach a class on this?!   I'm going to have to print the instructions tab out this weekend and start thinking ahead to my new training plan for the October half.  How's the Brooklyn Half course?  I haven't ventured outside of MD or PA yet.

Keen/Video Gamers - Emulator sounds like a good idea.  At some point when Red Alert (or RA 2) got a little boring, I'd get a mod and made Tanya the indestructible machine she should be.  RA2 was probably the peak.  Currently I'm more of a sports video game guy but at the same time, I enjoy the Uncharted Series or any game I can get my 9 y/o to play with me (which means some Minecraft too...)

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I think I'm just going to go for the 1:22 and see what happens.  I'm feeling pretty strong and since it's flat, it should be forgiving.  Just gotta be careful not to go out stupid and ruin my chances of running even.

Uh oh, I think I just lost my rabbit 

Cc4life yeah whoever posted that link should be banned......

Around the 3/4 mark  is generally when the wheels come off in a half so if you go carefully to that point and then see how you feel. I have a feeling it won't be long and you will be sub 80mins.

Flavio I'm gonna have to Google that 

Edit- I enjoyed that one more than the one I linked 

Jmac you must be in great shape and awesome goal to go for.

Keen my parents brought me back a game called Astro Wars after one of their UK trips in the early 80s. It was a small standalone game and you could clock it at 999 points . It was like cutting edge at the time. They had even brought me back the old white line hitting the white dot type game where you could play basic squash or tennis. That was in the late 70s. I'm possibly showing my age.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Video games - I used to love the early C&C games and yeah I think Red Alert 2 was probably the peak of those.  If we're going full geek, then I have to confess that probably my favourite games were the Baldur's Gate series, I remember staying up until all hours of the morning playing those on PC.  I switched to console probably 15 years ago, currently have a PS4 which doesn't get played much at all these days, but more recently my favourite games have been the Uncharted series, The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn and the Darksiders games.

JMac - nice goal and I'm excited to see how you go.  I wouldn't worry too much about the relatively light lead-in coming off the marathon, it may even work in your favour.  Course looks like it should be pretty quick too so fingers crossed the weather plays its part.

On that note, I did the infamous 3 x 15 min @ HMP workout this morning (3 min recoveries) AKA the Pain Train.  I used to suck at this and basically die on the 3rd rep even if I made it that far (sounds like a video game haha).  I only nailed it for the first time two months ago, when I averaged around 3:36/km but did fade on the final rep.  This morning I averaged around 3:30/km (5:36/mile) and managed to hold pace throughout all 3 reps so I'm kind of excited for my next race in 3 weeks time (particularly coming off 2 massive weeks by my standards).  I haven't thought about a goal for Christchurch yet (work has been nuts) but I need to.

Thanks for the Daniels spreadsheet link, I will have a look.  As you know I just (mostly) do what my coach tells me to do (it's worked so far) but I'm certainly curious.

CC4Life - if you've paced a half well on a flat course then the last third will start to bite, and the last 1-2km will be real 'hang in there' territory.

Watson - I remember finding the hidden room in Wolfenstein.  I thought that was so cool back in the day.

Piwi - we booked a holiday place for New Years at Hot Water Beach as we can stay almost on the beach there.  Might come for a drive down your way at some point though.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

CC - Brooklyn Half course is pretty good. There's one hill (I'm sure Mark will disagree) that's annoying at mile 6, but then it's downhill/flat the entire rest of the way. Honestly probably the best course we have in NYRR for a fast half as it's less hilly than 2 loops in CP. Problem is it's in mid May so you can easily get a very warm/humid morning, but right now the forecast (lol 8 days out) is looking like upper 50s so should be okay. The race itself is crazy though: it's the largest half in the country I believe, usually attracting 25,000 runners.

Mark - do you feel like you would have enough knowledge at this point to keep progressing if your coach suddenly quit? Additionally, 3x15 is insane, I've never tried that and don't plan on starting anytime soon. It's a Daniels staple though for higher mileage guys (80+ MPW), although he usually has you do a 8 mile mile warm up just to give you a quick kick in the nuts.

Half "wheels coming off" - I have never had them truly come off in a half, but when things start going south for me is much earlier. We've spoken about this on these boards, but usually at mile 7 is when the "I can't keep this up anymore, just need to hang on" demons begin. I would love to make it to only 1-2KM left before I felt that! I have to quickly forget about this otherwise my excitement for this race will quickly drain 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

My bad Half's have me slowing down around half-way.  If I have kept pace for 3/4, then I will keep that pace or slightly speed up.   My first 3km are really important for me, mainly I MUST be at race pace or slower.  If I do a 'Mark' and start too quick, I really pay for it.

watsonc123

Ran 17:00 on the cross country relay.  It was 3.9km and quite tough, really hilly and quite a bit of goat tracks.

First race this year that I am happy with.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Watson - great job, these races are hard to gauge the effort especially if you're not used to train in that kind of terrain.

me - I'm back from an unbelievable 20k in 4:14 pace that's sub 1h30 half pace for 20k. A few weeks ago I could believe I would run 12k at this pace and today 20 happened. And it was long run effort per the heart rate (<85% max HR, ~77% HRR), except maybe the last 3km. I ran a good portion of it (11k) with the sub 3 pack, though I lead the pace for most of it, not by design, I guess I'm just not used to running in a pack. If anybody filmed it it would be quite funny as I was huffing and puffing 8k in while the rest were barely breaking a sweat (most were running 34/36k and they're 1h20 low HM runners, never mind the fact they're all 10kg lighter), and the one girl in the group is an elite runner who had designs of competing at the 2016 olympics but injury set her back. She's still a beast and just ran 10:30 for 3k on the track by herself the other day. So in summary I was a chicken among the eagles which is excellent when I think about it.

Anyway, my sadistic running coach has me running 12k at 4 per km next Saturday. I'll suspend disbelief until that training session is completed.