Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Brent was king of the treadmill while watching Netflix.

Underslept Dad was a band manager for his wife's group. Not sure what band though.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brent - as thread leader I have to ask: can you please post a full bio? We have a lot of new members who don't know who you are.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I'm not trying to be anal ( Flavio see what I did there ) with the 5000m 5k thing, buts it significantly quicker on a track which makes any future road 5ks tougher to improve on for a PB if you count them the same. But if Mark were to die tomorrow ( crosses chest amen ) or retired from running then his 5000m can become his 5k PB 

So I thought I would have a look on the Athletics NZ website to see what records they track.

They track both 10km (road) and 10,000m (track) times separately, but only 5000m and not 5km.  Which is a little odd, in some ways, because there's not a lot of 5000m races around the country (equally, there are probably very few 5km's which are measured/certified).

But yes in general I agree the track is faster.  I'd say probably 3-5 seconds per km.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

So I thought I would have a look on the Athletics NZ website to see what records they track.

They track both 10km (road) and 10,000m (track) times separately, but only 5000m and not 5km.  Which is a little odd, in some ways, because there's not a lot of 5000m races around the country (equally, there are probably very few 5km's which are measured/certified).

But yes in general I agree the track is faster.  I'd say probably 3-5 seconds per km.

Mark you’re such a Kiwi I love it. You don’t look at world records, instead, only what records exist in your country on Athletics NZ.

Interestingly enough, the IAAF does not keep a 5K road record. The 5K record is of cours held by Bekele at 12:37. The fastest road race is 12:57, with a huge drop off at 13:12 for second fastest all time. Granted, part of this is because elites dont’ run 5K road races like they do 10K  or higher road races, so I’m not sure what the true difference is in the track vs road race. Either way, something has to be said for the fact that road races require you to run tangents and do not have the same effect as a track, so you guys are probably about right in terms of estimating 3-5 seconds per KM.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JamesD

JamesD

Favorite international idiom:  In Argentina, someone nervous is, "sweating the big drops."

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

whitneymb

Ah I want to be a part of this group! I've been scouring the internet for ideas, training plans, workouts to help me get a sub 1:30 half this year. You all are exactly what I've been looking for!

I'm am from, and have always lived in, Anchorage, Alaska. That being said, I'm temporarily living in Albany, NY while my husband completes a two-year fellowship. I have two daughters -- a 9 month old and a 2 year old. I recently ran NYC marathon but totally crashed near the end as I've been battling anemia, and recently discovered celiac disease, for a long time.

I'm working on my Master's in social work and you know, have two needy young kiddos Smile so I will try to be as diligent as possible about replying and posting!

My goal race is on 4/13, and it's called the Helderberg to Hudson in Albany. I plan to work on speed all winter/spring and focus on shorter distances and maybe go for another full in the fall. I honestly don't know how to get as fast as I want to be and am too cheap to hire a coach right now. Workouts on the internet often have paces I'm only capable of running on the treadmill..

So far, I'm up to maybe 40 miles a week, 1 interval session of 400-800m repeats around 5:42-6:00 pace (these are HARD for me and I've only attempted on treadmill), 1 long run up to 10 miles so far - planning to get up to 16, 1 tempo (well, I'm going to attempt it tomorrow but the plan is 1-2 mile WU, 4-5 miles at HMP or tempo pace so 6:50-7:00 pace and a cool down.

I'm looking forward to reading about your guys' training!!

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Welcome Whitney!  This is fantastic, so many new (and new old) faces this year.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Whitney- welcome!! Impressive that you can juggle a masters, two kids and running.  I have enough challenge managing work alongside one (our daughter is almost 2) and running!  One thing that really helped my half marathon times was running long runs beyond half marathon distance so keeping a long run of up to 16 miles is definitely something I'd recommend.

JMac - I think you've attracted almost as many thread members in the first 10 days than I did all year last year.  The dictatorship seems to be bringing results!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Whitney - welcome.  Do you have any recent race times to share?  Re workouts you cannot complete, some people need their workouts to be a little slower than what's prescribed.  When in good shape (i.e. not at the moment) I could not ever quite hit the tempo and interval paces that I was supposed to be able to hit given my race times.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Brent and Whitney Welcome!

My 5k this Saturday is officially postponed currently rescheduled to Feb 9th.

Back to HM training race is planned Feb 23rd

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

brentnet

Alright... bit of a bio about me. I started running in February 2003 and immediately got bit by the bug. Ran a 5k in March, 10k in April, and half marathon in May. Signed up and ran my first marathon in October. Predictably, it didn't go wonderfully. I ran a 4:59:55 and got beat by a 175 year old lady who was wearing Minnie Mouse ears and a tail. But I was all in on the running thing. I spent the next few years running lots of miles as a young single guy living in a small town in rural Minnesota (USA) with nothing to do. I got my times down to a 3:26 marathon and a 1:32 half.

In 2005, had a bit of a hiccup. I had a cardiac arrest. It was actually my second one (first was in 2001 when I was 19). Doctor didn't want me to run marathons anymore but didn't really have any guidelines as to what I should do. Basically everything (walking up the stairs/plowing snow) was a certain amount of risk. Eventually, I found a doctor who was okay with me running and I started back up again slowly.

I bought a treadmill in 2007 and improved some of my shorter distance times. Ran a 1:07 10 miler and 1:31 half. Things were going really well until 2010. Had our first child and running had to take a backseat for a bit. Really started back at it in 2013. Had my best running from 2014-2015. Basically PR'd at every distance from 5k to full marathon during that period. My best race was a 1:25 half. Managed to qualify for Boston with a 3:06 full in 2015. I ran over 3k miles both years which 100% was the reason I ran so well.

Last three years have been spotty. I've run some okay times, but my mileage dipped to 1900-1800-2100 the last three years. Not slacking by any means, but a bit off my best.

This year, I'm hoping to get back to the 2500+ miles. Last year was really 7 good training months and about 5 mediocre to bad months. I'm hoping this year to just be solid throughout the year. I'm planning on running full's in May and October with the ultimate goal of setting a PR and qualifying for Boston once again in October.

And yes, I'm the stranger who runs about 90% of the time on the treadmill. Nearly 100% of my running is at weird times (super early in the morning, late at night or during my lunch break), so the treadmill just works for me. I've currently graduated from watching Netflix to poorly playing Fortnite while I do easy runs. Otherwise, I watch a lot of basketball and listen to music for my non-easy runs. I've been doing a lot of Zwift running for workouts lately which I really enjoy.

PK/DJ - Not to make a bad first impression, but my team (the Minnesota Timberwolves) DID beat the OKC Thunder last night! We just fired our (horrendous) old coach and hired the son of a former coach. It was his first career win!

Flavio - Woke up at 5:15 AM for a run this morning which is early, but not ungodly early. But yes, I'm a week away from starting a training cycle when I'm supposed to start doing those ungodly early morning runs! Family is doing well. My daughters are 8 and 4 now. The 8 year old is convinced she's going to be a professionally runner. Don't want to spoil her dreams, but neither my wife or I have particularly great running genetics. So she's gonna have to work awfully hard. 

whitneymb - Welcome! I'm also in the juggling life act. I've got two kids (8 & 4) and I coach HS sports (basketball & cross country) 7 months out of the year, as well. It can be done!

Brent I saw that game and listened to the Minnesota commentary so heard about the coach etc. The new guy looks young but is the son a a legend coach ? OKC have been a bit disappointing the last 2 games but only lost by a couple of points. I forgot about your heart thing. You got a pacemaker right ?

You might remember Piwi junior. He is 21 now but doesnt run much although has started running 3kms a few times a week recently. He is still fitter than me and ripped as which is the advantage of been 21 I guess 

Welcome Whitney good to have a female presence on here to keep us in line. I had a strava friend from Alaska. He would always put up amazing photos of his trail runs that he did with his 3 big dark brown Husky type dogs.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

brentnet

PK - Yes, our old coach was a crazy man. He'd play guys a ton of ton of minutes, barely use his bench players, and basically yell all game. The new coach is the son of our longtime coach who passed away about 3-4 years ago of leukemia. He's only 32 years old... younger than some of the players on the team! NOBODY liked our old coach, though, so good riddance.

And yes - I've got a defibrillator. Had it swapped out about 15 months ago so I'm on my third device now. I actually got featured on the news a few months ago about my condition and a pretty cool race I ran last year when I was selected to be a Global Champion by Medtronic who sponsors the local race. Pretty cool! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOIsWnKOge4&t=18s

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Whitney - Welcome! I agree with Mark about LRs. How much rest are you taking after those 400s/800s? That's a big key to being able to do a bunch of them.
                              I have some family who live in Soldotna. I absolutely love Alaska - being able to live there would be flat-out awesome. Mount Marathon and Crow Pass Crossing are two of my bucket list races.

Brent - Welcome as well. Getting passed by an old lady in Minnie Mouse ears, ha! I got passed by a woman pushing a 2 y/o in a jogging stroller my first 5k, so I know how it feels.

Flavio - Right now I'm working to take control of and open a file in the middle of the board. Most of the 1%er's pieces are blocked in while mine have more room and are much more active, and it looks like he's just making nothing moves - basically waiting for me to do whatever I want. When it's all over maybe I'll post the game, or a link to it.

Finally got up this morning for a run! It certainly helped that DW was also getting up at the same time to do her workout. I'm anticipating things getting easier over the weekend/next week as the rest of the antibiotics work their way out of my system. My biggest issue with running now is just my ribs - they're still tender from my last few coughing fits, so breathing while running is more difficult and painful than it should be. Things are looking up, though!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Whitney - welcome aboard!

MJ - what's up with you!

Brent - thanks for the bio, that's a nice video. I seem to find a similarity between your voice and Joel Kinnaman's -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMBtz-wNnAU

me - I'm now following the advice from a nutritionist who prescribed me 5 meals a day (3 main + 2 snacks). Today is the first full day and I'm having a hard time. It seems I'm a bit hungry in between meals, but I'm not sure what's actual hunger and what's gluttony.

The meal plan is pretty much what I was already eating minus desserts and he added a lot of protein in the form of eggs and yoghurt.

His theory is that my protein intake was way too low which led to the cravings, which makes a lot of sense.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly