Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac/Watson - Yeah, it was a poor choice of words perhaps. What I meant is that I have the potential to PR in about 2 months from now if everything goes right. I sure know there are no guarantees what with my half PR being 4 years old now.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - Saw that LR, great job. Next Saturday will be a heck of a workout! And I agree with JMac - your training has been super-impressive.
      Have you had your BMR measured? I've been thinking of seeing someone in sports nutrition and doing that in order to help better tailor my caloric intake.
      And I hear you on the higher protein thing!

James - "introverts who are highly focused/obsessive". I resemble that remark!
      Good week, too.

Piwi/Mark/Watson - Nice weeks, all.

CFarr - A click in the hip and feeling better sounds strange to me, but glad it worked for you. You're probably in recovery now, so good luck with that!

A light week from me (37mi), but I did have two good workouts (hill repeats and V02Max). Looking to get the mileage back up starting this week. I need to find a group to do LRs with this summer, if possible. I don't have a problem with getting solo workouts in (nearly 12 miles this morning), and usually the same for easy stuff, but for some reason the thought of doing 14+ by myself isn't appealing right now.
      Good workout this morning - my first time doing ~mile effort reps since probably early/mid fall.

Pretty good weekend overall, even without a LR. I finally found out (and cleared up) why DD1 seemed to be holding back while playing soccer this season, DD2's attitude (that had been on a severe decline) rebounded and she has been just a treat, and let DW get some much needed time to herself for Mother's Day.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - you were the crazy mileage leader of this thread and now you need a running group to do a 14+ long run. I've been there done that in both directions. Right now I'm in the "17 miles is not a long run" camp, but then I lose a month due to an injury/lack of motivation and the thought of an 8 mile easy runs kills me. Hopefully you turn it around!

Flavio - I still think you need to race now. Going another 2 months without racing is probably not a great idea. I think you need to stay in tune with that part of your training, even if it'll be crap, especially as you can do a 5K and recover within a couple of days.

Corey - very strange, interested to hear what the doctor has to say.

Mark - good down week. Can I at least revise your goal to a PR?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I was going back through the beginning of this thread, and we've lost quite a few folks. If you're lurking, please come back on! Shout outs to dj_dubb, ckelly22, munners, brent, and anyone else I missed.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Don't think I haven't noticed that as well. I've had some unplanned running interruptions, but thankfully nothing injury related. I'll get the mileage back up there. I miss the "17 miles isn't a long run" days. Now I'm more in the "14 miles is the beginning of a long run" stage... 

Oh, I finished up the chess game against that Turkish National Master. I had a definite advantage towards the end (owing more to poor moves on his part than brilliant ones on mine), but unfortunately lacked a way to exploit that advantage. If anyone cares to take a look it's here. Several moves at the very end were just waiting moves - shuffling a couple pieces back and forth to stop him from making progress while mostly hoping he'd make another mistake (which didn't happen) before agreeing to a draw.

Upcoming Races:

Keen I'm in the "12 miles " is a long run camp right now 

But yes that's the one run that does better with company.

Good job on the vo2 max and workout today.

Mothers day here as well. I just go buy bottles of wine and give the kids one each to give to my wife.

I would check the chess if I knew the rules.

My 2 daughters are constantly bouncing off each other with a love hate relationship . They are 2 years apart.

Cfar good news hope you are all clear now.

Flavio I had a big bowl of ice cream with chocolate sauce last night...just saying 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - you know, I think that's where I'll end up goal-wise, but for now - and this seems very un-Mark, I know - I just want to leave it blank.  Work is nuts with a big project due the week before the race (and an under-strength team), so for the next couple of weeks until that's under control I just don't want to load anything else up on myself.  Plus I looked at my training schedule for this week and there's at least a 30% chance my coach is trying to kill me.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

OK good shot there JMac with a Rule Violation #8 call... I WILL set a goal... just not for another week or two (and it will probably be a PR unless work or my coach kills me before then).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

OK good shot there JMac with a Rule Violation #8 call... I WILL set a goal... just not for another week or two (and it will probably be a PR unless work or my coach kills me before then).

Is it or do Mark and Jmac communicate telepathically?

Keen - I checked the chess game. It's funny how obvious things become when you're just watching without a skin in the game. I could see a few potential moves but figured you probably tracked those down and saw they lead nowhere. A draw against a higher ranked player should net you nice points.

Jmac - Yeah, I've got a nice 3K last month and another one coming next month. I might run a 1500m time trial too. Just because it's by far my favorite distance 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Have had a skim of the thread, and just wanted to say Flavio that is a killer long run.  I think you're building to something pretty impressive assuming everything stays on track etc etc.

I'm now in New Orleans and will run the next 2 days so stand by for hot weather complaining...although I'll just be going easy.  My aim is to not lose too much fitness over the next 2 weeks.  It is hard to stay motivated in this weather, it's very draining and will only get harder in Florida, then I'll get a nice shock to the system back in Christchurch in June.

Has anyone run in New Orleans?  Struggling to find too many options that won't require heaps of 2 mile loop backs or crossing lots of busy streets.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Okay, my research tells me I'll be doing 2km laps down by the Mississippi.

Another note for young players, when you run in torrential rain on day 1 of a holiday (sorry, vacation - have been called cute several times for saying I'm on holiday), then your hotel rooms are going to smell a bit like running shoes for the rest of the trip.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

I'm now in New Orleans and will run the next 2 days so stand by for hot weather complaining...although I'll just be going easy.  My aim is to not lose too much fitness over the next 2 weeks.  It is hard to stay motivated in this weather, it's very draining and will only get harder in Florida, then I'll get a nice shock to the system back in Christchurch in June.

Has anyone run in New Orleans?  Struggling to find too many options that won't require heaps of 2 mile loop backs or crossing lots of busy streets.

Im travelling to New Orleans on Sunday and will stay 2days, then San Francisco for one day, then back . I’m interested in the response Smile let me know how it goes and what you find out Wink

I’ll start again this week , I think fully recovered from the marathon Smile

marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Marky_Mark_17

Okay, my research tells me I'll be doing 2km laps down by the Mississippi.

Another note for young players, when you run in torrential rain on day 1 of a holiday (sorry, vacation - have been called cute several times for saying I'm on holiday), then your hotel rooms are going to smell a bit like running shoes for the rest of the trip.

The people who call it vacation also talk in miles.  Don't believe a word of it.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Nice approach to Mother's day!
                              My daughters are all ~3 years apart, give or take. DD1 & DD2 typically either get along great, or are fighting - no middle ground at all. Something clicked in DD2 after the last time I talked to her about this and she's been a gem ever since - and I haven't heard her or DD1 yell at the other in almost a week now!!

A holiday is a particular day - religious holiday (HOLY-day), national holiday, what have you. A vacation is a trip somewhere for fun.

DD2's first "real" soccer season is now over, and was quite a success. She made a ton of progress from the beginning of the season, and she's going to play indoor soccer over the summer with her team.

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - Only been to NO once and didn't run. Strava Heatmaps help a lot in finding places to run in new areas, although it looks most people just run the streets of the French Quarter which sounds like a disaster. And yes: it's vacation! See keen's post above, it's well put. Also you got to LA in the middle of a really bad storm.

Me - Legs not feeling as good as I think they should at this point in the taper, but it's a half and not a full so it's not the end of the world. To compensate, trying to take it real easy. Nimmals over on the sub 3 forum put it best: you need to enter "lazy becky" mode in the taper, and I'm trying to do my best with that. Slowed down my easy run yesterday and will be running my 2 other easy runs (after today's sharpening workout) at recovery pace, not easy pace. Anyway, for now, the forecast looks like B+ weather for a half: upper 50s, low wind, cloudy. Only thing I could ask for his a drop in temp by 5-10 degrees, but it probably wouldn't change things by more than a tiny amount. Definitely a "no excuses" type of day.