Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Something clicked in DD2 after the last time I talked to her about this and she's been a gem ever since - and I haven't heard her or DD1 yell at the other in almost a week now!!

That means a cold war is ongoing!!! Me and my siblings would nearly kill each other (with throwing stones and knives and what have you), we started getting along the minute we left the house. We now live 1000km from each other and we are doing great 

Mark - 

Steve - you will be called cute from the accent regardless of the word holiday... I, being a non native speaker of English, have to use subtitles when watching game of thrones cause of the (cough cough) weird accents. Kiwi accent is fine, it's some of the British isle accents that make our lives harder!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

lapped by Jmac - Ah, taper madness and Jmac, name a more iconic duo!

me - Failed miserably at today's workout as the legs were still utterly trashed from the 20k. heart rate was up there so I could also say it was a success! I now have a pain on the left side lower back which I can't shake by rolling. I hope it's temporary.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - there are rules about setting soft goals. I have not violated those rules (unlike SOME people). But there's nothing in there about complaining about how you feel during the taper, so I plan on proceeding for each goal race 

I'm not surprised you're trashed from that workout. as long as you recover by this weekend, then it was worth it!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - Only been to NO once and didn't run. Strava Heatmaps help a lot in finding places to run in new areas, although it looks most people just run the streets of the French Quarter which sounds like a disaster. And yes: it's vacation! See keen's post above, it's well put. Also you got to LA in the middle of a really bad storm.

I drove through it from Houston to Lake Arthur on Saturday!  Worst driving conditions I've ever experienced.  Down here, road rules and speed limits seem optional but everyone was down to 30 in a 70 zone with hazard lights on.  Lightning hit a tree 200 metres off the freeway and there were crashes everywhere.  I was considering pulling into an off ramp and finding somewhere to wait it out but all the side roads were flooded and it was too risky that we'd get stuck.  I had a stiff bourbon when we arrived.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Glancing through the last page or two trying to catch up!  Nice weeks for all those that posted their mileage.  Not really worth it for me to post anything, just getting the miles in at this point right now.  Biggest thing for me to get used to from this thread is using km (instead of miles) and those that post their weeklies before I even get done with my Saturday run!

JMac - Good luck at Brooklyn on Saturday, however many hills there are!  Pancake flat for me on Saturday but I'll still be plenty of minutes behind you!

Flavio - Awesome training and long runs.  Past 12 miles, I start talking myself a little too much and even start answering....

Steve - Never been to NO and don't really want to go but can't imagine running on Bourbon street is the best plan.  I'm not the best runner usually on vacations in general although I successfully ran every day last year at the beach.

PRs Discussion - My best races have usually come when I've been sick (shorter distances) or when I was more relaxed and didn't overthink my racing (longer distances).  Not always when expected.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Marky_Mark_17

CC4 - our benevolent overlord JMac prefers miles.  The automated thingy that many use to post their weeklies operates on miles, it's really only me, Steve and Flavio that use km because we are rational people that prefer logical numbering systems.

Re PR's... it's kind of a mix for me.  Definitely never PR'ed when sick (I'm impressed you did), but I've had PR's when I was really psyched and targeting a race, and PR's when I didn't have any particular goals and just turned up nice and relaxed.  I still haven't figured out what the pattern is tbh.

JMac - I haven't violated the 'soft goals' rule, I just haven't set a goal yet 

Flavio - ugh yeah I know the feeling, I've been a bit sluggish at the start of this week which I think is still blow-back from Saturday's big workout.

Steve - sounds... exciting.  Mmm, bourbon.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Well my sick PR was when I was sleeping a lot and it was track distances. All mile or less distances. Relaxation probably helped. Getting a single tempo mile in tonight just to tell my brain I can hit the pace for Saturday. My nerves get to me as I lead up to a race.  Hoping for a solid PR though. Haven’t set a time goal yet though.

"Current" PRs

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Good luck in your 21.1 on Saturday, JMac

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

JMac - re front page, we are missing CC4's race.  My Cross Country was actually 3.9km (in NZ the advertized distance seems to just be a rough guide).  Also, good luck.

CC4 - good luck.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

CC4 - our benevolent overlord JMac prefers miles.  The automated thingy that many use to post their weeklies operates on miles, it's really only me, Steve and Flavio that use km because we are rational people that prefer logical numbering systems.

Mark- Watson and I possibly use kms too 

Watson- I guess exact distance doesn't matter so much in x country.

Cc4life nerves are pretty common leading into a race. It should build good adrenalin for you. I get nerves pretty bad as well. Probably part of the reason I barely race anymore.

I remember turning up at a half marathon a few years ago having been sick all week with achy flu like symptoms. I only went as my son was running the 10k. Last minute I decided to run and ran a PB 1.21. Go figure!

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Exact distance matters when it is longer and makes more slightly quicker!

Mark - when do you arrive and leave Christchurch?  We must meet, or alternatively stare vaguely at each other like that time in Wellington when we ran past each other

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Mark- Watson and I possibly use kms too 

Yes, although you still use that automated weekly thing that outputs in miles!  If we all started using km's perhaps JMac would have no choice but to concede to the clearly superior metric system.

Watson- I will most likely be down Sat afternoon (2:30pm), leaving Sun afternoon (1pm).  I bought flexi fares as I got them on sale early, so if there is a risk of fog or flight disruptions I will fly down earlier on the Sat or even the Fri.  And I could always leave later on the Sunday.  If Steve is around maybe we try and catch up after the race for a coffee or something to eat?

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - No, I only used an online calculator for BMR. It says I'll burn over 2800 calories per day with my level of activity.

CC - I generally find it rather easy to figure out paces in miles, mostly I never convert the paces, rather I have memorized the most important paces. I know 6:30 is fast for me, 6:00 is very fast, 5:00 is world class marathon pace and 4:00 is world class mile pace. Also I think I mentioned before that imperial units sound hilarious to me as we used to use them like 120 years ago, so I remember reading about them in the classic books of Brazilian literature.

We always joke about it, but I know for a fact that the US is a hybrid nation when it comes to measurements with somethings in imperial and some metric, and sometimes both.

I'm fine with the US using imperial units (England also uses it for distances IIRC), what baffles me is the fact that the US still uses SMS 

I mean, say you're at the store to purchase something for your wife, there are 3 varieties, how do you send her a picture of each to know which to buy? Say you're talking to a bakery and you'd like to see pictures of the available cakes. Say you're helping your mom use her phone and you need to send a screenshot with a drawing explaining where to click. I do know that Whatsapp is gaining traction, it's just funny to hear about it, it's become a meme 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Watson - are you asking me to violate rule #4? You and Mark, you're like two Kiwis in a pod!

Miles/KMs - I'll add the handy dandy converter I use when people are talking about KM paces to the front page. CC - keep using miles, I'm tired of all of these non Americans making things difficult!

Flavio - yeah I just use internet-based apps with my wife now, either whatsapp or gchat. The US is dumb (as steve is learning)

Piwi - when is your park run? I can add that to the front page.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Miles it is!  I could just as easily switch over to metric as a math teacher, track coach, etc.  But what can I say, stubborn American.  Ironically, we do plenty of workouts that are 1000m and 800m.  My tempo runs are always in miles though...

I'm going to put down on "paper" that my goal for Saturday is 1:22:59.  Stretch goal at 1:21:59.  Will depend a little on weather and just overall feeling after the first couple miles including whether I go out at the correct pace!

"Current" PRs