Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

CFarr - Bummer about missing those races, but it's definitely good that you don't have a hernia (or worse). Here's hoping the PT can get you straightened out.

The first day with weather that threatened tornadoes passed yesterday. There was a rare pair of sister tornadoes that dropped down in the country ~10 miles from me, but they were baby tornadoes and didn't last long or really do any damage to even crops/livestock. We did get plenty of rain though, along with some hail. Some low-lying areas, especially ones near a creek or a local lake, flooded and several houses ended up at least partially underwater.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Very quick update...Florida is HOT!  My legs feel dead on any run after about 10 mins.  Not overly enjoyable but I'll stick at it with short runs just to keep the legs going until I get back.

JMac - Saw your half on Strava, sounds like a tough day but still an amazing time.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

Cc4 - take care during this week.

Re recovery weeks, I'm going to have a challenge after my half marathon on Sunday 2 June, as 6 days later I've got another cross country race (8km) so hopefully I'll be ok for that.

Quick RR from 10 days ago.

University Cross Country Relay

Master men 35+ division: 16:59 which is 33 of 56, with our team 71:13 which is 10th out of 14.

Ignore Strava elevation as it's way out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2357640593

This was my third race in three weeks.

This was held by the University club, with the race based on Queen Elizabeth 2 Park in Kapiti which is a long way from the University.

We got there really early as my 8 year old girl was doing the 1 km under 10 race. She ended up 17th out of about 25, most of the kids were quite quick. To my surprise  she told me afterwards that it was too short - she is a lot fitter than she used to.

My team, which was one of the Trentham Harriers Male 35+ teams had some last minute changes. So two people were new to me. One of our team, Paul was going to be late, so we decided he would do the last leg. And it was decided I would do the first leg.

By this stage it was a little too short for me to run the course as a warm up, so I ran the first 2km and took a short cut back to the start. So ended just over 3km for the warm-up, which was probably slightly too short but not substantially.

The start/finish area is a paddock which must be have sheep most of the time as there's sheep dung all over the ground.

The first km is quite flat on an ok dirt/grass surface. The second is really up and down on a goat track. I think the third is a bit up and down, with the last  mainly very slighlyt downhill. Officially 3.7km, but everyone's GPS comes up with around 3.9km, so I don't know why they state 3.7km.

Looking at previous years results, I'll be satisfied with sub 18 minutes.

We line up for the start. Male, female, under 20, open, 35+ and 50+ all start at the same time. There are some very fast people here, and often the first runner is the teams quickest. It's also quite a tough course in that the first km is easy to pass, the second km is in most parts impossible to pass, with the last 1.9km being pretty good to pass.

So the key to run a good time is to run the first km a bit too quick so you don't get stuck behind too slow runners. But not way too fast as there'll be the inevitable death.

The gun goes off with about [50 but check this] runners. I don't really know where I am, but probably 30-40th. The first km feels pretty good, near the second half I overtake 2-3 runners. First km in 4:04.

We then hit the second km, which is a very hard km. Lots of short, sharp hills, both up and down, plus it's mainly one of those really skinny dirst tracks with grass either side. I am a pretty bad hill climber, so this is a hard km for me. I think I might overtaken one person during this period in one of the small parts where you can overtake. I'm behind one of our club female under 20's, and have a rough goal to beat her. This km was 4:40 which I was ok with given how hard it was.

The start of the third km is flat, and is basically the same as the end of the first km, except opposite direction (and parallel by a few metres). The next km goes pretty well. I go past where the under 10's started, and I know it's not far. I look at my watch and realize I might go 16Tight lippedx if things go well.

I'm really starting to hurt now, and am a little asthmatic. I overtake a couple of people here. Third km in 4:11. This is going to be quicker than I originally expected.

Realistically, I'm not going to be able to speed up here, I'm just hoping to maintain my pace to the end.

At about 3.3km my right foot lands bad, on what I think is a large rock. For the first time in a race, I'm taking a tumble and I'm probably taking out the woman in front. Somehow, I manage to stumble over many steps, but not fall. I am still running although have slowed and have that feeling of heavy legs like what happens during a tempo if I have to stop for a vehicle. Looking on Strava, this slowed me for about 200 metres and would have cost about 8 seconds. My small chance of beating our under 20's girl have gone.

I've now got back to speed and am in the final home straight of I guess 200-300 metres. This is quite flat on the paddock. I'm slowing now, and a couple of the people I recently overtook, now overtake me. Strangely looking on Strava afterwards, I did actually speed up ever so slightly, it's just that others had much more of a kick.

Getting to the finish line, I cannot see Brian (2nd leg runner), I actually slow down trying to see whether he'll be left/middle/right on the finish line to tag. He pops out on the left and I tag him.

I stop my watch at 17:01. Our timer tells me 17:00, then a few days later I get the official 16:59.

Our next two runners come through in 18:14 and 18:54. And our last runner Paul does 17:07 which is a good time for him.

I'm pretty happy with the race, I could have probably done 10 seconds quicker if I did not have the stumble and didn't slow at the end looking for Brian. But I'll take it as it's the first race this year that I'm satisfied with my time.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - nice RR, it's cool that you can go to races with your daughter.

Steve - ah, how I've missed your weather complaning.

Corey - good luck with the injury, glad it's not a hernia.  I've had a minor niggle that floats around my groin, right hip and right lower abdomen but I think it's largely mileage-related at this point in the cycle (hopefully).

Keen - not sure if you read Terry Pratchett or not but talking about tornado weather reminded me of a line from one of my favourite books by him - "There is a curse.  They say: May you live in interesting times".  I believe it was lifted from an actual Chinese proverb.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - There might even be some cold weather complaining on my first run back home.

I enjoyed Orlando for the theme parks, and love Naples and the Everglades (even held a gator this morning) but Miami is a place I don't think I'd ever return to.  Heading up   to a beach resort near Sarasota tomorrow which I expect to get a tick too.  Then back to Houston where I'll attend my first Red Sox game (yes, I've been a Red Sox fan for 20+ years - hopefully JMac isn't lurking to see that).

2024 Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - don't worry, rest easy in Japan, when you come back this board will have completely converted to metric and Ben & Keen will be saying "holiday" instead of "vacay".

Ok, if he's lurking he will definitely take the bait!

Keen - Ouch, tornados are not fun, stay safe!

Mark - you're killing it with all the hills!

MickJogger - Where you at? I have a new hot chocolate recipe to share

me - feeling better after 3 days off, if all goes well I'll be back on track tomorrow morning.

I'm still feeling hopeful I get good enough to complete at the 3000 this Saturday.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

My biggest disappointment in the race was not putting more pressure on Mark. I’m glad I have a virtual rabbit to chase after. It’s making me more motivated to go get a sub 1:15 this fall within marathon training. Of course, that will require a healthy summer and fall, which has been a challenge for me. I’m going to bring some of my strengthening bands with me to Japan, so instead of running, I will just spend 20 minutes a few times doing some maintenance work that I’ve been lacking in.

Mark - good luck on June 2 even though you still don’t have a goal (I won’t be able to update before I leave, which means you’re stuck with what’s on page 1)

Flavio - keep up the good work while I’m gone. It’s almost winter for you guys, go get that solid training in! Also, I see what you did with MJ shout out, you are a complete troll.

Piwi - where are you???

Keen - stay safe in the storms. Tornadoes are scary stuff. Also, tell brewing I saw his little comment on 3:20, he better not be disrespecting that old bastard JD anymore!

MJ - same as Piwi - where are you?

Steve - now that you’ve experienced Florida hot, I judge that you are ready to be an official weather complainer going forward. You shall laugh at Mark with his claims that 70F is very hot! I have never felt as broken as I have running in that Florida weather for a few days in a row. I like this road trip you’re taking, you’ve probably seen more unique parts of America than I have!

Corey - glad to hear it isn’t anything serious, I hope we see you back out there for good soon.

Watson - nice race report. Please meet up with Mark before the race and send us a full report of whether he is too serious!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Watson - Awesome RR! 3 races in 3 weeks...and still putting down a good race.

Steve - RedSox fan in Houston?  Nationals fan here but tons of Orioles fans in the area that try to hate the RedSox and Yanks.  Can't imagine either team cares of them.

Flavio - Much more likely to change to km than to say "holiday".  That just sounds wrong.  But hot chocolate recipe?  Isn't it a little too late for that? (edit: after reading JMac's post that I've gotta pay more attention to where everyone's from!)

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Marky_Mark_17

My biggest disappointment in the race was not putting more pressure on Mark. I’m glad I have a virtual rabbit to chase after.

[...]

Watson - nice race report. Please meet up with Mark before the race and send us a full report of whether he is too serious!

Hey! I'm an actual rabbit, not a virtual one! No wait, not a rabbit, a wolf!

And for the record I'm not that serious immediately before the race.  It's the bit before that when I'm serious.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Jmac- I’ve also driven New England and from New York through the south to Dallas including Kentucky and Tennessee. As well as of course doing the PCH and Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Can’t get enough of your country!

i hear you on being broken after running in this weather. It’s definitely cumulative. It’s actually only been 33-35 C, and I’ve run in 40-45C when I lived in Melbourne but this is another world. I’m saturated like it’s torrential rain within 10 mins.

CC4life - a kiwi Red Sox fan in Houston...are they as psycho as when the 1986 Mets visited Cooters? I have a mate in NYC who gave me the book about the 86 Mets. Great story apart from the Buckner aspect...

2024 Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Who was it who runs in Houston?  I'm staying close to Sam Houston park and Bayou Park...hoping I can run under the freeway that appears to go through both parks

2024 Races:

runethechamp

Quick check in from me even though I still can't run (but I'm getting better at swimming!). Steve, Bayou Park is great for running, on both sides of the park. Lots of undulating paths and some go under the freeway from Sam Houston Park to get you there. I did a few laps there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it (although at that time parts of the paths were closed due to recent flooding).

How's everybody else doing? And Marco, Mark is right, I have a story about a long marathon course from last year. It sucked, and the organizers never admitted any real faults.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks Rune!  It's the only hotel I chose based on running locations so glad to hear I can get there under the freeway.   I've had to wing it for the rest of the trip, and have avoided treadmills successfully so far.  The worst I did was a 14km in Orlando which was 18 laps of the block my hotel was on close to Universal Studios...there were buses there to pick up people from other hotels so I did have a couple of bus drivers cheering me on each lap which was awesome!

2024 Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Oh and good to hear you're a good swimmer now...I've tried some ocean and pool swimming and can barely breathe after 50 metres.  Completely different fitness.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Good to see you're still lurking Rune!  Any news on when you might be back to running?

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"