Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Even if you're training for 5ks now, you'll get back to training for HM-FM distance after the summer, so those easy 10 milers have a place in the greater scheme of things.
    Doubles are good, if you can find the time for them (and be ok with likely running in the heat of the day). A couple 5-6 milers a week would help, though even adding in a 2.5-3 miler during the week doesn't take up more than ~25 minutes but really makes a difference in weekly mileage.

Another shoe topic for you, when you have time: Would 20% off be that magical discount to jump on a pair of Vaporfly 4% flyknits for a someone who doesn't plan on another road marathon until next March?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

runethechamp

JMac - I think that 10-12 mile easy runs more or less hit the sweet spot in terms of keeping building your base. Long enough to provide plenty of benefit, short enough to not wear you down too much. This is probably debatable but it's a conclusion I've more or less come up with myself after reading about running for a while.

Have you looked up JD's 5k plans? What do they tell you to do?

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - agree with Keen and Rune, I would've thought easy 10 milers would be fine?  There's probably no specific 5k benefit but if you're wanting to keep the mileage up, that's a way of doing it that isn't going to take too much out of you.

IMPORTANT NEW ZEALAND SMALL WORLD TALK

Steve/Watson - I have just discovered that the Nathan Jones who was just behind me on Sunday, actually works at the same firm as me.  He is a partner in PwC's Christchurch office.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Nice, I did know he works there but had forgotten you do too!  More small world talk...watson, our other mutual friend is Peppy, a guy I worked with at my first job in Dunedin.  I think he's in Melbourne now, great guy who helped me out finding a place to live when I first went to Dunedin.

I better say something about running...I did an easy run with my watch covered yesterday and ended up going significantly faster than I intended, felt great though.  It was COLD.

JMac - excited to see how you go in some 5km races.  I found a 5km race in Florida I could do but was so worn down by how tough easy training runs had been by then that I just couldn't face it.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CFarr - Did the PT say what the actual issue is/may be? It's not ideal, but at least you do have the exercises and you can bike to maintain some fitness.

Keen  Dr. said pulled groin the PT confirmed that and said it could have caused the pain in lower abdomen as well.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Cfarr - I've had a pulled groin before.  Take care!  Pain seemed to resonate to some other places do during some of my easier runs until it eventually went away.  I was pretty stubborn when I had it.

JMac - If you're doing a 15 miler for a long run and some easy 10 milers, I think that'll work out just fine, especially based on your fitness.  I'm not a big fan of doubles, as I'd rather eliminate the day of rest than run twice in day.  Doesn't mean it doesn't work for some though.  (or some that do both)  Also depending on the workout, the active recovery, and a longer warm-up and cool-down, those workout days can add up to some pretty high mileage.  Maybe not 13 but 10 is definitely a possibility.

Mark - By the sound of your conversation, it sounded like New Zealand was the size of a small college.  I equated it to someone asking me if I knew "Person XYZ" from the college I went to even though we didn't overlap in years and had no similar interests...

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

watsonc123

Steve - I didn't realize Peppy is now in Melbourne.  His he at another airport for work?  He has moved a bit, Dunedin, Wellington, Auckland and now Melbourne.  I hardly use Facebook so I mainly miss that sort of thing.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks for the advice, seems like it shouldn't be an issue. Probably won't be perfect 5K training but that's not what I'm doing it for, more as a way to build some speed before going into my fall cycle.

If you guys keep talking about New Zealand stuff, I'm going to abdicate the throne to one of you as punishment as I am ruler of the sub 1:30 thread, not the NZ chat thread.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - we don't want you to abdicate, but this proves you shouldn't go on holiday again.  A lack of discipline leads to anarchy.

I think you have some races to add to the front page too...

2024 Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I've decided: if you boys can behave yourself and keep the NZ chatter to a minimum, I will add the races. For now, a new rule will be added.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Well at least you haven't executed people like some dictators may have.

I think I've caught the piriformis issues from piwi - it was a bit sore before my slow run last night and now it's a bit more sore - didn't really hurt on the run although I felt like I couldn't go faster without risking some damage.  I think I might have strained it doing something other than running to be honest.  piwi, any pointers on treatment etc?  I don't want to google 'sore butt' like you did and end up on grinder...if your story is to be believed.

2024 Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - on your firmer/cushioned question, I believe a lot of it is preference. For me, I could never run very fast in highly cushioned shoes: I feel like I need firm shoes for “feel.” Plus, you don’t need the cushioning on short runs like you do on half marathons or longer, as they help prevent your legs from tiring. That isn’t an issue in a 5K/10K. On the other hand, if you prefer it, I can’t see how cushioned shoes could lead to injury, although I think they would for me as firmer shoes require me to have better form.

Marky_Mark_17

CC4 - the usual 'six degrees of separation' theory is more like two degrees in NZ.  If you don't know a particular person, chances are you know someone that does know them.

JMac / Keen- I do think a lot of it is preference.  Like JMac I prefer firmer shoes for racing but exactly how firm depends on the distance.  There are shoes (like the Saucony Type A8) that I'd happily race a 5k or 10k in but would probably need something with a bit more cushioning for a full.

Steve - I'm quite glad we haven't had any executions on the thread so far.  I can't help but feel that my repeated NZ chatter, weather complaining, use of the metric system, failure to set race goals etc. would probably make me the first in line.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Steve my story isn't to be believed just my rude sense of humour taking over.

I've done some stretches for the piriformis which helped. It mostly hurts when driving when that muscle is pulled tight. I've not been running much nothing since Monday and its starting to feel better.

I think my 2 hillsprint sessions sparked it off.

Oh and yeah that Nathan Jones used to walk past my house. Helluva nice guy 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - For the record I fully support the new rule!!!!

If you're doing the 5k intervals right, there's no way you can run more than one mile of cool down, just throwing it out there.

For a 5k I'd add one interval day, one tempo day, a slightly faster long run (say mp + 20 seconds per mile), and add strides towards the end of 2 of the easy runs. I'd also schedule a full rest day the day before the intervals so that you hit your most important workout fully refreshed.

I would not worry if the mileage dips a bit, even to 55 miles a week.

Tempo day can be replaced by a fartlek of sorts where you run half mile strong half mile easy.

Piwi - Nathan Jones? So this guy must travel a lot. I swear to you guys the receptionist at this hotel I'm staying at is called Nathan Jones. He told me he used to play cricket, but now prefers running.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly