Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I'm really thinking about just sticking with the Escalante for everything that's not a race or trails and just rotating pairs for everyday vs workouts.
    Didn't you wear the vaporfly in your latest races? Wouldn't that qualify as a pretty highly-cushioned shoe? BTW, I ordered a pair, but they probably won't leave the box other than a try-on or test before a HM outside Dallas I'm considering in November.
    You might check out jackrabbit for them - very solid discount (only shows in the cart), but not many sizes - I just happened to get lucky.

Steve - Bummer about the piriformis, hopefully that clears up.

Flavio - What's your idea of 5k intervals you couldn't run much of a cool-down after? Time/distance, effort/pace, quantity, recovery between? Just curious.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - Bummer about the piriformis, hopefully that clears up.

I see what you did there...Smile

Just a slight pain on my warm up this morning so I'm not going to risk it - rather miss one day than a week.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I did, but that's why I qualified it for 5K/10K. I would never wear the VF for a 5K, and most likely will not for a 10K either. They make sense for 10 mile and higher races. I actually already bought another pair of VF so I'm good to go. You are going to love them, I definitely think you need a test in them at MP or equivalent workout. I did 10 @ MP as a test.

Flavio - curious about your comment too. On one hand, I see what you're saying, but I was able to start doing a cool down after my HM PR, so I'm not sure why 5K training intervals would make it impossible. I would be more concerned about long cool downs for injury risk more than anything as your mechanics are usually garbage in your cool down.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac/Keen - 5k intervals are hard, something like 6x1000 or 5x1200 or 4x1600 will leave your legs wasted. Your form has to deteriorate after that. YMMV though, this might be a product of my lack of strength.

niggles update: calves are still screaming at me. Left side is worse.

This has suddenly changed from "uh oh, oopsie ran too far with minimalist shoes" to "holy moly, I'm an idiot, how can I stop this train from derailing".

I was, however, able to complete the workout today and it's much better than yesterday. Hopefully no niggles from the natural form compensation from tight soleus muscles.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

Jmac/Keen - 5k intervals are hard, something like 6x1000 or 5x1200 or 4x1600 will leave your legs wasted. Your form has to deteriorate after that. YMMV though, this might be a product of my lack of strength.

If I was doing a workout like that I'd definitely not go for too long a cool-down, those are tough workouts.  Maybe get away with slightly longer on the track than the road just because the surface is a bit more forgiving on the legs.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

Not sure I qualify to post on this thread any more, as I have never even met anyone named Nathan Jones.

Another decent week, even if I stopped today’s run two miles early because of tired legs.  My troublesome right hamstring isn’t hurting much during runs any more, but I can feel it at the top of the hamstring when I stretch afterwards.  (Maybe I’ve caught piriformis trouble from Piwi & Steve?  Two hill workouts a few weeks ago seem to have aggravated it.)  I had another unusual midweek issue - the outside of my left glute was noticeably sore Tuesday & Wednesday but was fine by the end of the week.  It wasn’t nearly as hot this week, mostly around the low/mid 80s/28ish, but it was very humid.  Thinking of running a 5-mile race in four weeks; would like to get some speedwork in beforehand, but the hamstring may limit me to tempos & VO2 max intervals.

Sun - off

Mon - 12.5 miles easy

Tues - 6.2 easy

Weds - 28 minutes swimming

Thurs - 6.4 including 3 @ ~6:39/mile

Fri - 6.2 easy

Sat - 6.2 easy, stopped early, legs a bit tired

Total - 37.5 miles

12-week average - 39 miles

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

James - nice week, those temps would be way too hot for me especially with humidity as well.

Me - easy post-race week and I'm glad about that as I'm not sure the legs could've handled too much more.  Even on Sunday they were still definitely carrying some fatigue from the race.

M: 6.5km recovery

T: weights

W: 11km easy

T: 13.2km w/ moderate efforts

F: weights

S: 14.5km easy

S: 20.0km easy

Total: 65.3km

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Mark and James - good weeks.

My week was pretty good.  I was too tried Monday post race to even consider a run.  Tuesday was not possible due to life getting in the way.  Wednesday to Friday, I only had time for 5km runs, which is all I really needed anyhow.

Saturday I had the Dorne Cup Cross Country which is one of the bigger cross country events in my region.  I seemed to have recovered enough post the half six days earlier, than any effect was minor.  I ran pretty well, got 81st of 125 men in the 8km event (really 7.5-7.8km depending on which GPS you believe).  It was two laps, ran the first a little quick and had a slight fade.  The course is at our home field* and is similar to what our club cross country race was in May.  Yesterday I ran 13 s/km quicker than I did the month before, which I was reasonably happy with.

*Oddly it's not our club that hosts the event.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Description Link
                  Wed 3.2 7:53 Night Run strava
                  Thu 3.1 8:24 Night Run strava
                  Fri 3.1 7:44 Afternoon Run - Incl. Strides strava
                  Sat 2.0 8:04 Warm up 1 strava
                  Sat 0.3 8:49 Warm up 2 strava
                  Sat 0.6 7:42 Warm up 3 strava
                  Sat 4.6 7:10 Dorne Cup Cross Country strava
                  Sun 3.7 8:52 Evening Run strava
                    20.6 8:03  

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Slow week for most given the races the Kiwis raced, but good job. Weather here hasn’t been to bad: temps have gotten up to 80, but dew points are still pretty low/dry, so it’s been just normal hot, not unbearable. I find that the suckage really starts once TDP hits 150+, which we haven’t gotten to. That’ll start in the next few weeks though. For now, just building back up the mileage. 32 this week for me, looking to get to 50 next week, still all easy mileage. Focusing a lot on strengthening though as “pre-hab”. It’s the best time to do it when the mileage is low, quality days are non-existent, and you’re getting ready for some heavy speed work. I find that when I try to do strengthening work when mileage is high and I’m in the middle of the cycle that I can only get half of the work in before my legs are just cooked.

You boys have behaved yourself. I’ll get the races up there by the end of the week (very busy this week so not sure when I’ll get it in).

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

nice weeks guys. Here's mine, first official 1500m training week:

M: Functional Training

T: 5x400 avg 1:19- 3x800 avg 2:57 - 6x200 avg 0:39 - ran in Xero Prios, cooked my calves, suffered from it until Saturday.

W: Functional Training

T: 8ez

F: 1k 3:36+ 5x600 avg 2:13 + 1k 3:46

S: Off

S: 9ez

M: 3x 1kslow 1kfast - fast avg 3:38

The week spilled over to today due to the calf niggles. I seem to be recovered now, and today's workout was quite good. 

As you can see it's a lot less volume, but a lot more intensity. The 400's were supposed to be run in 1:12 each, but with 2:30 rest. It's a lot of rest to recover. Also, 2 interval days and one fartlek day, no long run per se, just a moderate speed run on Sat for a short distance.

Proper strength training does not start until this Friday/next monday as we're traveling, that is when things will become super fun!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - The should show up by Thursday (wow, UPS is slow!). If I test them out soon I might do it around one of the local lakes. Depending on which I do it'll get me 8-10 miles (probably M pace, as suggested), but with the ability to change shoes for a cool-down if I wanted. I might could even snag a CR during the process, but as the guy who owns it now is a 1:12: xx HM runner it wouldn't be any issue for him to take it back!

Flavio - Yikes that the calves are still angry. Hopefully it only takes a bit more time for them to calm down. Solid week, though.

James - Good week, and I love the consistency.

Mark - Nice week as well, even if a bit fatigued.

I'm now within 16 weeks of my next planned half, and 18 away from what I think will be a goal race (should really decide on that for real). The next half isn't one that could be considered a PR attempt - it's quite hilly and will almost certainly be very hot/humid - but I do want to make a good showing for it.
                        I'm getting more used to doing workouts by time and effort since everything is on rolling hills now - trying to time intervals to minimize the downhill portions. It still takes a bit of a reality check/pep talk when I see how long a 400 took me or how far I went during a timed Interval and I automatically want to compare it to what it would have been on the track.
                        Still trying to decide on that Bad Idea nighttime 50k next month, too. It would be a good excuse to buy a new pair of shoes...

ETA: Had absolutely GLORIOUS weather this morning! ~58*, DP 52*, with an 8-10mph north wind. Far better running weather than anything since at least early April.

Monday, Jun 03, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 09, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                        Mon 13.2 7:42 Reps on the roads. 2x (10x 1/4mi) 146 (74%) strava
                        Tue 10.1 8:09 My hamster wheel needs a fan - NYC 138 (70%) strava
                        Wed 10.1 8:30 1 hawk, 1 deer (1 stride), & another runner 145 (74%) strava
                        Thu 10.2 7:23 6x 4 min I 151 (77%) strava
                        Fri 10.6 8:17 2 Mississippi kites, 1 deer (1 stride), and the "it has rained a lot recently" waterfall 143 (73%) strava
                        Sat 16.5 8:16 TJM LR 80: Tales from the Iditarod 350 141 (72%) strava
                          70.7 8:03

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

watsonc123

Keen and Flavio - nice weeks

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

watsonc123

RR Christchurch Half Marathon

https://www.strava.com/activities/2416134294

Net 1:30:11 / Gross 1:30:23 time. 120th out of 1504.

As anyone who's followed this thread, the weather leading up to the race was rough, heavy wind, rain and cold. It was a Sunday race, if it was a Saturday I suspect it would have been cancelled.

Anyhow, forecast was to be cold (around 4-5 Celsius), plus quite a strong wind, and just a LITTLE rain.

I was racing in shorts, my club singlet, gloves and a beanie / woolen hat.

I got a park pretty close to the start area, at the Town Hall. Queues were pretty long for bathrooms and gear drop off. Luckily I had given myself enough time so I was outside about 20 minutes before the start.

I did a quick warm-up. I bumped into Mark and said hello. I saw other people from greater Wellington who I've seen in races, but I don't know them. Post the race I realized quite a few more people that I knew were in the race.

This is my third time racing Christchurch, first time the full, second time the half. The venue and race has moved around a little post the 2011 Christchurch earthquake - this was the first time post quake that the start and the finish were back at the town hall.

My race strategy was basically to stay with the sub 1:30 pacers. And sometime between 10km and the finish, leave them and see how much I could go under 1:30.

As with every other year I've raced here, the start is late, as the bag drop off queue slowly clears.

As Mark mentions, the 10km, half and full start at the same time. There's maybe roughly 4000 people all up.

The race director warns us of flooding, including a large section of River Road (used to be residential pre the quakes, but now red zoned). Then we had to wait another 30 seconds as a city councillor told everybody stuff that nobody wanted to hear.

The wheelchair races start one minute before everyone else.

We're then off.

The first km felt OK, lots of people around. Quite a few who start way too fast for the first 500 metres.

km 1 is done in 4:05. I'm near the back of the 1:30 group, so the pacers were a little quick.

We go through the CBD and head out to North Hagley park. It's a little less congested now.

The first 5km were through 21:16, my GPS and the km markers almost exactly matched, so pacing was just right.

We then go through a path through North Hagley park, the path is quite narrow, but ok. Definitely not an area to look to overtake, but that's fine.

Though 5.0-8.km pacing was pretty good. I cannot remember the official markers, but Garmin had the pace at 4:15/km.

We're now back into the CBD, where we go near the start/finish. This is where the 10km splits off. These next two kms were in total about 20s too slow. I was still with the sub 1:30 group, it was just the pacers were a little slow.

Around this time, I felt a little warm and took off my beanie. I tried to unzip my shorts pocket and put the beanie in, by my hands were numb due to the cold. So I kept it in my left hand.  Up until this point, the rain had been very light. So conditions were ok.  Pretty much once I took my beanie off, the rain started. From then on, the rain was moderate. But given the wind and the cold, it was rather unpleasant. I put my beanie back on then.

At the GPS halfway point, it was 45:0x. The pacers yelled out "half way". I was a little worried here as normally the GPS ends up being 100-200 metres long and the previous km markers indicated we were behind, so most likely we were behind schedule. There was going to be very few km markers from now on due to the flooding issues.

I sped up and left the pacers. The 11th-14th km's averaged under 4:10/km, which reflected me quickening up, the most substantial tail wind, and the surface being good. During this period, I go past my parents who have braved the conditions to see me (I live in a different part of the country, I flew down for the race) - they almost miss me as I go past.

The 15th km (GPS) was 4:15. At this point I was tiring a little. We then cross one of the bridges, 16th km was 4:08. Surely I can go sub 1:30?

17th km, I think the road surface was ok. I cannot remember it really. Anyhow, done 4:14km GPS.

The next 2.5km were definitely the hardest on the course. Into a moderately strong wind. I'm cold now, the constant rain and the cold temperature is definitely effecting me. Oh, and most of the River Road (only walkable these days post the quake) is still rough post the quakes, plus it's almost completely flooded. The options here are:
                            1. Run through puddles the whole way.
                            2. Run on a dirt & gravel stop bank, which is between the road and the river. This was my choice.

During here I remember thinking that despite Mark's excellent training cycle, he will not PR today.

It was noticeably slower than the road. Near the end of the section I drop back onto the road as there were only a few puddles now. I'm managed to avoid stepping through puddles until now when I was looking at my watch.

GPS km's 18-20 were 4:20, 4:20, and 4:23. It was as quick as I could manage. I was pretty sure sub 1:30 was not possible. During this period I saw the marathon 40km marker, so some rough math did indicate I was 10-15 seconds too slow. It was also the first marker I'd seen for a long time.

During the 20th we go back over the bridge, onto Kilmore Street. Which is a big finishing straight.  As Mark mentioned, you can see the finish but it seems to take a long time to get there when racing it.

I go past the 1km in marker, which means roughly 1km to go (I don't know if the start and finish were exactly beside each other, but they were pretty close.

I'm trying to speed up, but I'm not. GPS km 21 was 4:18. I then manage an ever so slight quicken up and manage 3:58 pace for the last 0.23km, and finish in 1:30:11 net.

So that was a tad disappointing. And I was very cold and wet.

Lots of others felt the cold too, apparently there were several hypothermia cases. At work yesterday I was talking to the wife of someone who did 2:58 for the full, he was not able to use his gels in the race as his hands were too cold to get them out of his pockets.

In the town hall I bump into my youngest cousin who is about 22-23 years old, he ran an impressive 1:23.

I then find Mark and Steve. And I'm rather surprised and impressed that Mark PR'd.

Mark kindly offers for me to use the shower at his Air BnB which I gladly accept. We then go meet Steve at a local bar.

I then walk back to my car. The walk back has me go through the course, about 500 metres from the finish line. This was about 4:20 into the race so there were a few marathoners coming through. They looked tired and cold, I was pretty glad I was only out there for 90 minutes!

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - nice RR.  I laughed when you mentioned the city councillor saying stuff no one wanted to hear, I'd actually forgotten about that but all I was thinking at the time was 'shut up so we can get moving please'.  I took the stop-bank option on River Road too, lesser of two evils.  Those 1:30 pacers really messed it up huh?!

Keen, Flavio - nice weeks.

Flavio - on the topic of 1500m, Nick Willis had a crack at the 5000m at the recent Diamond League event, thinking it might be a potential Olympic option for him given he will probably not quite have the pace for the 1500m any more.  He came last by 30 seconds so he's decided that it's not his gig haha.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Watson - Nice RR.  It sounds similar to my 2017 effort when I was on target for 16km then just couldn't maintain/lift the pace into the wind and rain and ended up 1:30.29.  It's frustrating and afterwards I always think to myself "why didn't I just go faster"...it's like an hour or 2 after the race I forget everything I know about running and ask myself questions a non-runner would ask.  I'd be interested to hear the RR's of the 1:30 pacers who finished in 1:31.  Also still waiting on an RR from Nathan Jones.

Mark - Sounds like Nick Willis' days of being world class might be over.  He has achieved so much though, a silver and bronze in a blue ribbon event like that is a massive achievemtn.  And who can forget his commonwealth gold in front of stumbling Aussies on the track and stunned Aussies in the stands.

2006 Commonwealth Games 1500m Final

Me - Piriformis still a bit sore so I biked on Saturday and Monday and tried a run on Sunday but could tell I would end up sore afterwards so stopped after 1.5km.  I'm unsure if I'm imagining it or it's real - if anything it just feels fatigued rather than sore.  I'll give it a proper go tomorrow.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024